or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 'It's almost here:' Apple announces 'iPhone 5' event for Sept. 12

'It's almost here:' Apple announces 'iPhone 5' event for Sept. 12

post #1 of 298
Apple on Tuesday sent out invitations to members of the press, officially announcing it will hold an event next Wednesday, Sept. 12, where it is expected to introduce its next-generation iPhone.

The invitations sent out read "It's almost here," with a large number 12. Below the date of the event is a shadow cast with a number "5," implying the unveiling of Apple's next-generation iPhone, the successor to the iPhone 4S.

The event will be held next Wednesday at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco, Calif. AppleInsider will have full, live coverage.

Word first surfaced in July that Apple was planning to hold a special event on Sept. 12 to unveil its next-generation iPhone. It's expected that the new handset will go on sale just over a week later, on Sept. 21.

The new iPhone is expected to be a completely redesigned handset with a larger 4-inch screen. Numerous leaked parts have shown a device with a slightly taller display, as well as a two-toned metal back.

Leaked parts have also shown that the new device will retain the hardware home screen button that has been on every iPhone to date, while the forward-facing FaceTime camera will be centered above the earpiece. The parts have also shown that the headphone jack will be moved to the bottom of the device, while the next-generation iPhone is also expected to feature a smaller 9-pin dock connector.

Event
Apple's special event invitations sent out on Wednesday hint at the iPhone 5. Image via The Loop.

Though the device is not expected to feature a near-field communications chip for e-wallet functionality, it will presumably run Apple's next-generation iOS 6 operating system with the new Passbook application, which will serve as a digital wallet with event tickets, boarding passes, store cards and more.

Preorders of the new iPhone are expected to begin the same day the handset is unveiled next week. The list of launch countries for the iPhone 4S last year included the U.S., U.K., Canada, France, Germany, Japan and Australia, while other international markets followed soon after.

prototype 3

Though last year's iPhone 4S was the fastest roll-out ever, this year Apple could potentially face more constraints of the so-called iPhone 5. Last week, The Wall Street Journal reported that one of Apple's major LCD suppliers, Sharp, had not yet begun shipping displays for Apple's next iPhone because of "manufacturing difficulties." That and other reports have prompted speculation that availability of the new iPhone could be limited at launch.

While the new iPhone is expected to be unveiled next week, rumors have suggested the unveiling will be only the start of a big fall product lineup for Apple. One report last month from All Things D "confirmed" that the company is also planning to hold an event in October to introduce a new, smaller iPad with a 7.85-inch display.

Launch

In fact, the iPhone 5 and so-called iPad mini are said to be just two of eight new products that Apple has planned for the holiday 2012 shopping season. The company is also expected to launch a new 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display, a new iPod touch with a larger 4-inch screen, a redesigned iPod nano with Wi-Fi connectivity and iTunes access, two new iMac models in the 21.5- and 27-inch class sizes, and even a tweaked third-generation iPad with the new, smaller dock connector that will be found on the next iPhone.
post #2 of 298

Guess it might be called the iPhone 5 after all.

Edit: removed pic as the story was updated to include it.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
post #3 of 298

I guess Tallest Skill is eating some humble pie about now. :)

post #4 of 298

It's OBVIOUS that this will be called the iPhone 6. Ignore the "5" shadow. lol.gif

post #5 of 298
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Why? Come the frick off it.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #6 of 298
Maybe it will launch on October 5th.
post #7 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Will you at least stop editing people's posts by inserting your own wishful thinking about the name?

post #8 of 298

I really want it to be the iPhone 5 just to annoy the people who have been that anal about the naming structure.

post #9 of 298

Just like MSFT tablet : almost there ... but MSFT would not dare ....

post #10 of 298
Quote:

Because you've been so insistent. You even insulted me once because I didn't agree with you.

It's possible that they still may not officially call it that, but this is an acknowledgment of which model it is.

And I'd like to remind everyone, that Apple has always just named the iPhone "iPhone", even if they have referred to them by number. Just look at the back.
post #11 of 298
I was always unsure whether it would be the iPhone 5, iPhone 6 or just iPhone.

Looks like it may be called iPhone 5 1smile.gif

If it is iPhone 5, I'm glad they are carrying on with the numbering.
post #12 of 298
Originally Posted by quinney View Post
Will you at least stop editing people's posts by inserting your own wishful thinking about the name?

I'm not inserting anything about the name. I change it to the right generation. I also don't edit their posts.

Originally Posted by melgross View Post
…this is an acknowledgment of which model it is.

But it isn't. Only internally is it anything "5". And then the iPhone 4 was internally 3

I was insistent about "iPhone 6" until this year's iPad came out, and for that I apologize, but I don't see a reason to apologize for backing "6th iPhone" thereafter.

post #13 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

It's OBVIOUS that this will be called the iPhone 6. Ignore the "5" shadow. lol.gif

Kind of implies rather strongly that the A6 processor was not ready for prime time and that this will still be a 5x one instead.  Lame. 

post #14 of 298
Quote:

Dude! You kept it as your signature for MONTHS. You should expect a little flack for it now. I didn't (and still don't) believe it ever would be called 5, but out there in the big world it's been referred to as '5' so it's not out of the realm. 

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
post #15 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Yep. We're going to need a new moderator after TS' head explodes.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #16 of 298
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post
Kind of implies rather strongly that the A6 processor was not ready for prime time and that this will still be a 5x one instead.  Lame. 

Or that they're doing what they've done twice in the past and are giving it the iPad's processor from earlier in the year. "A6" would've been great, but the past two models have been that year's iPad's chip.

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post
You kept it as your signature for MONTHS.

THAT'S what it was! I couldn't for the life of me remember. Thanks for that.

You should expect a little flack for it now.

And sure! Nothing wrong with people doing that to me if they do decide to call it a name it isn't, but I'm not going to be apologizing for knowing how to count.

post #17 of 298

Or the shadow refers to the 5th generation and not actual name.  One thing I don't understand is that if they have more than one supplier of these next generation displays and one is having problems manufacturing it, what are they doing wrong?  How come the others aren't having issues?  

post #18 of 298
Quote:

Not necessarily. The 4S has an A5 processor and runs iOS 5. So why can't the iPhone 5 have an A6 processor and run iOS 6?

post #19 of 298
Quote:

I like to think the 5 stands for 5 new products  :p

But of course it will be call iphone 5, if Apple was using "generation" to name phones they would have called the 4s the 5s...

post #20 of 298
IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME!
post #21 of 298
Quote:

Originally Posted by quinney View Post

I'm not inserting anything about the name. I change it to the right generation. I also don't edit their posts.

Such disingenuous weaseling is not going to fool anyone (except possibly yourself).  You frequently edit people's posts when you quote them.

Everyone who frequents this site has seen your gasbaggery over the name of the next iPhone.  Own it.

post #22 of 298
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post
Or the shadow refers to the 5th generation and not actual name.

But that's wrong, too.

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I like that idea, though I don't buy it. Talk about your runaround, eh?

iPhone, iPod touch, iPod nano, iPod shuffle… what else? They COULD do it, we just have to think of a 5th product.lol.gif

…if Apple was using "generation" to name phones they would have called the 4s the 5s…

But that wouldn't have made sense, either. They don't always use generation names, they've used three naming conventions in the past: generation, telephony, and speed.

Originally Posted by quinney View Post
You frequently edit people's posts when you quote them.

But not the posts themselves. That would be disingenuous. 

post #23 of 298
Disregard the graphic. It’s the iPhone 9.

It is the 9th distinct hardware design; not just colors and GB but unique construction/parts for 8 prior models:

iPhone

iPhone 3G

iPhone 3GS

iPhone 4

iPhone 4 CDMA with new antenna design and mute switch position

iPhone 4 white with redesigned camera ring

iPhone 4 white CDMA with redesigned camera ring AND new antenna design/mute switch

iPhone 4s

iPhone 9

... Actually, now that we’ve all known for ages that it would just be “iPhone” from now on, like the iPad, iMac, MacBook Pro etc.... they HAD to give it a number: it’s the only thing they could surprise us with after all these leaks! I for one am indeed surprised. In a boring kind of way.
post #24 of 298

Samsung announces Galaxy SIV to be released on october 21st     Ready the copy machines!  

post #25 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

But of course it will be call iphone 5, if Apple was using "generation" to name phones they would have called the 4s the 5s...

No matter what Spock claims, 5 follows 4. Besides the naming of the iPhone or any other Apple device is is NOT a question of logic - when will people realize this?

post #26 of 298

I think everyone needs to get past whether some thought it would be the iPhone 6 or 6th gen iPhone or iPhone 5 or New iPhone or whatever. It could have gone any way. We all had reasons to see it any of those. We could all have been wrong if Apple had decided differently. 

Hell, it would be a hoot of the 5 is just their way of gaming us all and TS ends up being right ;)

...sometimes it's both

...sometimes it's both
post #27 of 298

Oh well.  I had been thinking it was 50/50 for either "the new iPhone" or "iPhone 5."  (And 0 chance of being called "iPhone 6.")

I was 1/3 right.  Or something like that.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #28 of 298

Hell, it would be a hoot of the 5 is just their way of gaming us all and TS ends up being right ;)

I now subscribe to the "5 products being released" theory. lol.gif

post #29 of 298
Quote:

I think everyone needs to get past whether some thought it would be the iPhone 6 or 6th gen iPhone or iPhone 5 or New iPhone or whatever. It could have gone any way. We all had reasons to see it any of those. We could all have been wrong if Apple had decided differently

Yes. Only the people TS arrogantly and belligerently dismissed as being WRONG can jibe back. C'mon everybody.

post #30 of 298

5...hmmm.. .available in 5 different models? on 5 different networks? works with iOS 5? 

5 classes of iOS devices? iPhone, iPod, iPad, AppleTV, and some altogether new device (as a restricted user interface on an iMac)? 

Clearly it is the 5th generation iPhone - and iPhone 5 works as well as anything else - despite the OS being at version 6.

IBM did change what was developed at AIX 5.4 to AIX 6 to coincide with the release of POWER6, so not unprecedented to have the name of one product drive another, of course in that case they did not skip an entire whole number. Of course they also used names like p650 as a bridge from the old RS6000 to then new pSeries branding - and the p5xx for POWER5 which made it awkward when POWER6 came out since p6xx was already used - so POWER6 marketing names were kept at p5xx or actually POWER6 5xx - leaving p7xx for current POWER7 system. Its anyone guess if they will use POWER8 8xx when POWER8 systems come out. IBM is pretty good at shuffling things up right about the time you get the old way all figured out. 

If Apple had not called the current iPad "the New iPad" I would be more certain that iPhone 5 would be the most likely used name at least for marketing purposes - even if the official product name is just iPhone. But I would not be surprised in the least if the marketing was all "the New iPhone" while the official name is iPhone and the technical manuals etc refer to it as iPhone (5th Generation) along the lines of iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2011) and MacBook Pro (Retina). I suppose in the end it may come down to how much each group of product developers has to say about the name of the product they develop. For as much as Apple eschews focus groups etc, in the end someone or some group has to actually make a decision and since we are not privy to the process used for any given product the best we can do is speculate. 

post #31 of 298
Quote:

Not necessarily. The number 5 could be a reference to the 5th Gen iPod Touch. lol.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #32 of 298

"iPhone 5" hahahaha I laugh in your face! You know who you are :) 

post #33 of 298
Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

Clearly it is the 5th generation iPhone…

6th. Generation doesn't change even if the name does.

post #34 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

Maybe it will launch on October 5th.

That's it. They're going to call it 'iPhone 12' and release it on Oct 5. /s

Quote:

It doesn't say any such thing. Apple doesn't generally use processor specs in their high level advertising messages. They didn't mind calling the previous versions the iPhone 4/4S even though they had A5 processors, for example.
Quote:

I think everyone needs to get past whether some thought it would be the iPhone 6 or 6th gen iPhone or iPhone 5 or New iPhone or whatever. It could have gone any way. We all had reasons to see it any of those. We could all have been wrong if Apple had decided differently. 

Yes, but there's a difference between what you're suggesting and being vehemently opposed to something and attacking others for stating a belief that differs from yours.

Frankly, I always took the position that it didn't really matter and wasn't worth worrying about. I did, however, get offended by TS outright attacks on people who thought it might be the iPhone 5. It's a little late for him to say "it doesn't matter, so let's get past it".

Similarly, his vehement attacks on the concept of an iPad Mini fall into the same pattern. He can not simply say "let's get past it" if the iPad Mini is shipped - at least not if he has even a shred of integrity.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #35 of 298
Quote:

But it isn't. Only internally is it anything "5". And then the iPhone 4 was internally 3

I was insistent about "iPhone 6" until this year's iPad came out, and for that I apologize, but I don't see a reason to apologize for backing "6th iPhone" thereafter.

If it is called iPhone 5, then even Apple is wrong. Sorry, but that is simply pandering to the lowest common denominator and ruins the intelligent naming conventions iPhone carried in the past. Apple may name it iPhone 5 to avoid confusing idiots who don't understand the product line or its history, but there is no reason to call the 6th generation, 4th form factor iPhone an iPhone 5.

post #36 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Not necessarily. The number 5 could be a reference to the 5th Gen iPod Touch. lol.gif

So long as we are done with people saying the iPhone 4S was "iPhone For Steve" I am fine.

Except I guess we might get people claiming the 5 is 'leetspeak for S and again means Steve....then I might need alcohol. 

...sometimes it's both

...sometimes it's both
post #37 of 298
Quote:

He will never admit it! He used to have it in his signature adamantly saying it will NOT be called the iPhone 5!!!

So humble pie it will be but he will neve admit he was wrong......

But he might ban us if we disagree with him......

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

post #38 of 298

Hi Folks, everyone always trying to guess, because this is all it is a guess - what Apple will do next.

Let's wait and see what Apple offers on September 12th. Personally, I will wait, let all the beta testers complain about bugs with the Iphone 5 and pick one up around October.

Personally, I wish (feel free and blow me away if you think I'm a few fries short of a happy meal), but wouldn't it be nice if one could remove this sim card from the Iphone 5 (new Iphone?) and insert it in the Mini Ipad and just like that  one has the proverbial phabplet.

Such an option will probably increase sales of both the Iphone and mini-Ipad and quite frankly put the Galaxy Note to sleep.

post #39 of 298

NOT looking forward to the headphone jack being re-positioned to the bottom of the device......

post #40 of 298

What's in a name?  And who cares really?

My iPhone 4s runs iOS 5, and when I update it, it'll run iOS 6.  As will my iPhone 5, it appears.  I don't care about the name, I can't wait to see the FEATURES!

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 'It's almost here:' Apple announces 'iPhone 5' event for Sept. 12