or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 'It's almost here:' Apple announces 'iPhone 5' event for Sept. 12
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

'It's almost here:' Apple announces 'iPhone 5' event for Sept. 12 - Page 5

post #161 of 298


Not taking sides here, just couldn't resist.
Hey, this Kool-Aid is delicious, what do you put in it?!
Reply
Hey, this Kool-Aid is delicious, what do you put in it?!
Reply
post #162 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why? Come the frick off it.

Mmm, let's see...

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/5084/1346789940195.png

You, who are supposed to be a moderator, and some of your friends, have been trolling and insulting all those who didn't think like you. And you were wrong. I'm not going to refrain to remind it to you now, oh no, because you deserve it. And knowing your character I'm not at all surprised that you won't admit that you were mistaken. You're like a child.

Oh wait, if I hadn't totally lost it (as you said), that means, that means that you had lost it.
You are not the only one who can use his brain, and others can be as clever or cleverer than you, apparently.

I'm sure that you are going to say that it still doesn't make sense to you, but that precisely the point, it did make sense to others, and the point of the discussion that we were trying to have was that it felt logical. Too bad we couldn't talk because of your disruptions.
post #163 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTomcat View Post

Apple has a difficult decision to make...

Continue with the same 4" to the next iPhones or to go for a larger screen...

 

I think they will keep it the same as the soon to be released model for probably at least one more version but in any case it will not look anything like the image you have provided.

sheep.jpg.png

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #164 of 298
Originally Posted by SuperTomcat View Post
Apple has a difficult decision to make...

Continue with the same 4" to the next iPhones or to go for a larger screen...

 

"APPLE IS A COPIER LG DID IT FIRST! WHAT ARE YOU GONNA SUE LG NOW, APPLE? INNOVATE DON'T LITIGATE!"

 

 

"Oh, and here come the iSheeps with their arguments. Apple only has… seven rows of apps there while the LG has eight, so they're "innovating"… right, ri~ght…" lol.gif

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #165 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


I'd prefer the liquidmetal iPhone.

Mmmm.... YEAH - that's got a real ring to it! ;-)

post #166 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunch View Post

Why even deal with these idiots. I doubt many of them even know what schadenfreude means. haha

I'm pretty sure it's a type cheese spread that you secretly wish to engage in coitus with.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #167 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

 

If that is the case then I think people far too readily feel belittled. I enjoyed TS's rants about the name, although I do have to admit that I also agreed with his logic.

 

Mostly I agree. He did go pretty much right over the edge with a cherry on top a couple of times though.  People are easily offended nowadays for sure, but he did actually belittle and insult a lot of people for no good reason.  

 

For example, I've been posting here for many years off and on, and even though I've never been banned outright I've been warned many times and suspended I think twice for a short period of "reflection."  He has said and done things far worse than I ever have and gotten away scott free however just because he's a moderator.  I think that this is what people find so annoying.  The fact that there is one set of rules for us, and another for him.  

 

I find most of his posts reasonable and I agree with 99% of what he says, but if it's not okay for me to "make an argument personal," then it isn't okay for him either.  

 

I would actually be in favour of looser rules all around and making it permissible for us to "get personal" a bit or once in a while without someone immediately jumping up and crying "ad hominem attack!" (as if that actually meant anything), or being immediately banned as if we were in high school debate class.  Until that day however, having the two sets of rules (or two classes of people if you want to look at it that way), is not exactly a good thing.    

post #168 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by hface119 View Post

... This is the 6th generation iPhone, no matter how you want to twist it.

 

And may I remind all of you, last year around this time everyone was calling the 4S the iPhone 5 prior to its announcement. So... which is right? You can't have it both ways. This isn't the fifth iPhone. ...

 

Unless we use zero based indexing:

 

0 = (Original) iPhone

1 = iPhone 3G

2 = iPhone 3GS

3 = iPhone 4

4 = iPhone 4S

5 = iPhone 5

post #169 of 298
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
I'm pretty sure it's a type cheese spread that you secretly wish to engage in coitus with.

 

I tried to figure out what word you were jokingly replacing with schadenfreude, but then I thought better of it… 

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #170 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

Apple discovered the fifth element !

 

If so, I want her wrapped in bandages and sent to me overnight. Siri is being renamed Laloo...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun View Post


As Global Moderator perhaps he sees it as his role to be provocative?

 

An interesting and good role, he just needs to not get all butthurt when people razz him in return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maecvs View Post

The reason I am not, is due to the fact that both times I placed my iPhone in my shirt pocket upside down (to protect the earphone jack because it was starting to rain), the iPhone turned off, and went into some hardware diagnostic mode which took a great deal of effort to get the iPhone to be re-booted.  Unless that will not happen with the new iPhone. (Whatever they call it)...... 

 

Static electricity can do weird things to any device. Could this have been happening during a hot dry spell or during the winter??

 

 

I'm hoping the FIVE means five new products. Other then the hint about "something's in the air," a few years back, I don't recall Apple ever using a product name as the invitation clue.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #171 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Good ol' schadenfreude! 

Aowww...  But are you honestly surprised. You come across as someone who takes pleasure in denigrating and belittling. 

post #172 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

Mostly I agree. He did go pretty much right over the edge with a cherry on top a couple of times though.  People are easily offended nowadays for sure, but he did actually belittle and insult a lot of people for no good reason. ... 

 

 ... The fact that there is one set of rules for us, and another for him.    

 

... Until that day however, having the two sets of rules (or two classes of people if you want to look at it that way), is not exactly a good thing.    

All the other moderators are level headed, respectful and, well, moderator-like who almost never anger anyone. Unfortunately, TS is more of a menace than a moderator.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #173 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Mostly I agree. He did go pretty much right over the edge with a cherry on top a couple of times though.  People are easily offended nowadays for sure, but he did actually belittle and insult a lot of people for no good reason.  

For example, I've been posting here for many years off and on, and even though I've never been banned outright I've been warned many times and suspended I think twice for a short period of "reflection."  He has said and done things far worse than I ever have and gotten away scott free however just because he's a moderator.  I think that this is what people find so annoying.  The fact that there is one set of rules for us, and another for him.  

I find most of his posts reasonable and I agree with 99% of what he says, but if it's not okay for me to "make an argument personal," then it isn't okay for him either.  

I would actually be in favour of looser rules all around and making it permissible for us to "get personal" a bit or once in a while without someone immediately jumping up and crying "ad hominem attack!" (as if that actually meant anything), or being immediately banned as if we were in high school debate class.  Until that day however, having the two sets of rules (or two classes of people if you want to look at it that way), is not exactly a good thing.    

I disagree on your ending paragraph, I'd rather have strict rules for anyone, moderators included (as it is in all successful forums). The forum is disrupted enough by his behavior, imagine having everybody act like that! Discussions wouldn't last more than one page.

What I find amusing the most is that the second most used query that gets people on AI is...iPhone 5. Lol
post #174 of 298

I have enjoyed reading this thread.

post #175 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


His logic was sound. It's iOS 6 with the A6 chip and the 6th gen iPhone. I know I certainly stated (and I think TS did, too) that Apple will ultimately call it whatever they think will sell the most units and if that means succumbing to the ignorance of the general user then so be it. Let's not forget that Apple first called iOS "firmware" and then OS X iPhone, and then iPhone OS, and finally iOS long after the general population was calling it iOS.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Solip.. seriously?  No one is arguing logic.  Do you see 30 people posting about someone who argued it would be called the "New iPhone" or any other of the 3-4 names?  No... logic isn't even a discussion.  It was the veracity and belittling that TS did that warrants the responses we see now.


All of this is kind of moot.  In the end, the box will still just have the word "iPhone" on it.
 

post #176 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

All the other moderators are level headed, respectful and, well, moderator-like who almost never anger anyone. Unfortunately, TS is more of a menace than a moderator.

Agree, I might not have had the best behavior myself, but his sure didn't help and often was provocatory instead of being pragmatic.

Ok, that's the last time that I'm going to post about this, promise.
After all it's no big deal if some people were utterly mistaken and completely disconnected from what Apple is doing. :P

Now, let's talk how the NEXT iPhone will be called? I say iPhone 7.
post #177 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Unless we use zero based indexing:

0 = (Original) iPhone
1 = iPhone 3G
2 = iPhone 3GS
3 = iPhone 4
4 = iPhone 4S
5 = iPhone 5

I can't think of any generational designation for a shipping HW product that was referred to as the Zero Generation. If you want to say it's the 5th shipping revision of the iPhone that would surely be accurate enough, although one could argue that the new baseband processor and required antenna change for the Verizon CDMA iPhone 4 is enough of a modification to call that the 5th generation of the iPhone. Surely if your PoV is from the internal components it would be hard to argue against that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

All of this is kind of moot.  In the end, the box will still just have the word "iPhone" on it.

I've certainly qualified my comments on this nomenclature topic more than a few times to say that very thing. If it offers the features I want (and I can't imagine it won't as an iPhone 4 user) then i'll be buying it even if it was called the Zunesung SIII Galaxy Universe with Flavour Crystals from Nabisco..

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #178 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't expect PassBook to be on the first page by default. It's an app/service that is designed to present itself to the user as needed.
If you look at Apple's iOS 6 compatibility graphic, PassBook is on the first page.

sfugwn.jpg
Edited by Postulant - 9/4/12 at 3:02pm
post #179 of 298
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post
If you look at Apple's iOS 6 compatibility graphic, PassBook is on the first page.

 

Bingo. I wouldn't imagine Apple to leave open spaces on the box's pictures of the Home Screen when they have more of their own applications to show off.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #180 of 298

OMG that's when My Macbook will get here. :D

 

BTW, I love how the 12 casts the shadow of a 5. that's really clever lol.

post #181 of 298
Hmm. Maybe the 5 means a five inch screen?
Or the show is on at 5pm?
Or that there are 5 new patents on the new iPhone?
Or on sale October 5th?
Or it will cost Samsung 5 billion to copy this one?
Or the lineup will take 5 hours to get through?
Or there is now 5 lines of icons?
Or it only runs iOS 5?
Marks out of 5?

Seriously, I hope the new iPhone is called "the new iPhone" and not "iPhone 5".
The numbering system is inelegant and gets less weildy the longer you use it.
"Ugh. My iPhone 13 is so slow...".
post #182 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post


Mmm, let's see...
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/5084/1346789940195.png
You, who are supposed to be a moderator, and some of your friends, have been trolling and insulting all those who didn't think like you. And you were wrong. I'm not going to refrain to remind it to you now, oh no, because you deserve it. And knowing your character I'm not at all surprised that you won't admit that you were mistaken. You're like a child.
Oh wait, if I hadn't totally lost it (as you said), that means, that means that you had lost it.
You are not the only one who can use his brain, and others can be as clever or cleverer than you, apparently.
I'm sure that you are going to say that it still doesn't make sense to you, but that precisely the point, it did make sense to others, and the point of the discussion that we were trying to have was that it felt logical. Too bad we couldn't talk because of your disruptions.

 

The sad thing is if one went looking you can find a million screenshots, almost verbatim from him, quoting other posters, just like the above. The posters he replied to had either 'lost it' or any variation of being insane or downright idiotic. I kept insisting that he put SOMETHING on the line while making all those holier than-thou statements, in case he's wrong, but was always too cowardly to do it- and its obvious why. His convictions were only strong enough to let him mock and condemn others, but not actually strong enough to make him willing to put SOMETHING where his mouth was (ie. a temp posting suspension) in case his trolling turned out to be wrong. ie. I stated multiple times I was willing to be perma-banned if either the next iPhone did not have a bigger screen, or they did not release an iPad mini this year- all before the parts leak and the heightened mini talk. If you're willing to speak as much shit as Tallest and attack others incessantly for their (reasonable) opinions, you should at least be willing to throw some chips in the game so as to be punishable for your actions. 

 

No doubt he will continue making matter-of-fact statements about what Apple will or will not do, even after to be proven utterly clueless and having a horrible grasp on the company's product mentality. That's what happens when you have an inability to self-reflect and adjust your behavior based on realities on the ground. 

post #183 of 298

Just for the hell of it, here's my take.

 

iPhone - it's a new product

iPhone 3G - ooh 3G speeds! No iPhone 2, because the focus was the 3G network, *not* that it was a 3rd generation iphone.

iPhone 3GS - looks like the 3G, but faster. Not really a "4" yet.

iPhone 4 - new design, needs a new number to highlight it as "new". We were used to 3, and 4 comes after 3, so 4.

iPhone 4S - looks like a 4, but faster. Incremental upgrade, similar to 3G to 3GS. "S" possibly for Siri, or Speed (which is probably the idea behind 3G-S)

iPhone 5 - new design again, need to highlight the change. Most logical next number to use.

 

The only other thing it could possibly be called is "the new iPhone" per apple's similar naming for the iPad 3.

 

But again the advert says 5, and apple never puts out an advert then changes it for the showing. Thus iPhone 5. Case closed.

post #184 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

So long as we are done with people saying the iPhone 4S was "iPhone For Steve" I am fine.

Except I guess we might get people claiming the 5 is 'leetspeak for S and again means Steve....then I might need alcohol. 

I never believed it was "for Steve". Sounds like urban legend.

Who needs an excuse for alcohol? I say, time for vodka.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #185 of 298
Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

But again the advert says 5, and apple never puts out an advert then changes it for the showing. Thus iPhone 5. Case closed.

 

"Changes"? The invitation says absolutely nothing. There's nothing to be changed. Or did you really never forget the day you were told you'd never forget? You know, that one, whenever it was, with the Beatles on iTunes.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #186 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I really never understood the obsession with the name. It is and has always been simply "iPhone". If it is called the 5 and the one next year the 5S, who really cares? 

I think most people care far more about the hardware specs and iOS 6 features than the name. What a waste of a thread, although the iPhone 6 club which mainly consists of Solipsism and Tallest Skil needed a good helping of crow pie and I have to admit it was fun to watch. I just didn't think it would go on for 5 pages. 

Let's see, it's still the 6th generation iPhone (which I've proven countless times), it'll be shipping iOS 6 not 5, and I still say that the naming system should be done away with. Nothing in this advert from Apple proven anything I've stated as fact as being wrong and if you want to claim my opinions should be held as fact then you should really go back to the start of this discussion many months ago where I clearly stated Apple will call it whatever the hell suits their needs best. My stance has been and still is that it's not the 5th generation iPhone because you think that '5" comes after '4S'. I even stated that Apple is probably better off with a 2 year cycle for the case revision — you might be one of those people that thinks it'll still be the same — that would allow for the same number to follow for two years with the 'S' addition for the 2nd year. Where is your coverage of that?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #187 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

Apple discovered the fifth element !

The fifth *state of matter* has been discovered - I think. They are, solid, gas, liquid, plasma, and there are 3 more whose names I don't remember, ooh, one was Boze-Einstein - I think. Correct me if I'm wrong.

 

I think.

 

 


Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

 

Reply

 

 


Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

 

Reply
post #188 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

Just for the hell of it, here's my take.

iPhone - it's a new product
iPhone 3G - ooh 3G speeds! No iPhone 2, because the focus was the 3G network, *not* that it was a 3rd generation iphone.
iPhone 3GS - looks like the 3G, but faster. Not really a "4" yet.
iPhone 4 - new design, needs a new number to highlight it as "new". We were used to 3, and 4 comes after 3, so 4.
iPhone 4S - looks like a 4, but faster. Incremental upgrade, similar to 3G to 3GS. "S" possibly for Siri, or Speed (which is probably the idea behind 3G-S)
iPhone 5 - new design again, need to highlight the change. Most logical next number to use.

The only other thing it could possibly be called is "the new iPhone" per apple's similar naming for the iPad 3.

But again the advert says 5, and apple never puts out an advert then changes it for the showing. Thus iPhone 5. Case closed.

But none of that makes sense because 4 comes after 3, not S not GS and not 3GS. It's also the 4th iPhone with the A4 chip running iOS 6. Occam's razor would tell us the reason for it being calling the iPhone 4 is most likely because it's the 4th generation iPhone, not because it follows S, GS or 3GS.

The 'S' on the 4S is the same thing. It's the S to denote a faster version of the same model. Surely Apple can say it also means Siri but imagine if it were called Voci instead. Do you think Apple would have then called it the iPhone 4V? I don't think so for the same reason above.

Note this is the first iPhone expected to have 4G LTE, be the 4th major case design. Maybe they should call it the iPhone 4. /s

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #189 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What a waste of a thread over some naming bs.
I long for the trolls.......

It's a tempest in a teacup.
I say until Phil Schiller unveils it on stage, no one here can name it on Apple's behalf. It is just unofficial rumor and/or an opinion. And yes, I saw the photo someone posted on this thread, but I'll believe it on Sept 12.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #190 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

The fifth *state of matter* has been discovered - I think. They are, solid, gas, liquid, plasma, and there are 3 more whose names I don't remember, ooh, one was Boze-Einstein - I think. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think.

I thought it was getting it on with Mila Jovovich.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #191 of 298

There might not be an NFC chip inside because everyone is saying the back is metal. Then why would they have the two tone backing. Looking from photos I cannot tell whether it is a different material or not but to me it seems that there reason behine the two tone is because it is a diffrent material, one that would allow radio waves to easily pass through. Looking from some photos it also looks like the mystery chip is around the same spot as when the back changes tone or material.

post #192 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post


I never believed it was "for Steve". Sounds like urban legend.
Who needs an excuse for alcohol? I say, time for vodka.

Apple Vodka and Appletinis, gettin' it on up in here!! hahah iTinis xD

 

 


Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

 

Reply

 

 


Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

 

Reply
post #193 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


I thought it was getting it on with Mila Jovovich.

*Milla

 

 


Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

 

Reply

 

 


Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

 

Reply
post #194 of 298
Still keeping my 4s but, hopefully ios6 is available immediately and not waiting the week til you can order the next iPhone

24" iMac, 2 MB Pros, iPad Version 1, 2 x (iPhone 4s), Apple TV 3, a Shuffle and a couple of iTouches somewhere in the house. Spot on wall reserved for an Apple TV of some description. Oh yeah..and...

Reply

24" iMac, 2 MB Pros, iPad Version 1, 2 x (iPhone 4s), Apple TV 3, a Shuffle and a couple of iTouches somewhere in the house. Spot on wall reserved for an Apple TV of some description. Oh yeah..and...

Reply
post #195 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by focher View Post

I'm of a like mind when it comes to the SoC. Using the A5X doesn't make any sense, as the main change from the A5 was additional on-die GPUs and those aren't needed for the iPhone X (copyright 2012 Focher). I'm not sure that additional cores make much sense either, but I'm not familiar with how heavily threaded iPhone apps are at this point. Perhaps there are some Cortex enhancements around execution speeds (including clock increases) that make more sense. It would be strange for Apple to just reuse the A5 but an A6 in the iPhone goes against precedence. The new GPU has, so far, always appeared in the iPad first. But that could change ...

I'm not saying it will, but it could change for one reason. Previous to the 4S, all the phones came out less than 4 months after the iPad. So, using that SoC made sense. After all, it was another 8 months before the next iPad arrived, with a new SoC. but now, with the late September delivery, that now moves to over 6 months. It's actually closer to the next iPad than it is to the last iPad.

So I think it's possible we may see an A6, as reported elsewhere with a couple of admittedly poor photo's.

I also think that staying with the A5x would be a disadvantage, even with a die shrink, unless Apple popped up the speed to 1GHz, at least. The much better GPU will be advantageous as Apple uses Open CL in iOS, as they do in OS X. But needed is a better CPU to feed it. We see on testing that the new GPU in the Retina iPad has much more capacity than does the CPU, which limits the performance.

I know the much lower Rez on the phone, even with the longer screen, will lessen the need for a much better CPU for now. But the performance of the new iPhon's have always been at the top for much of its life as the flagship Apple smartphone product. That wouldn't be the case with the current iPad SoC.
post #196 of 298
Originally Posted by polar315 View Post
Still keeping my 4s but, hopefully ios6 is available immediately and not waiting the week til you can order the next iPhone

 

I think they might release iOS 6 for old devices on the Friday after the event (they've released it early before) to alleviate some server pressure on launch day.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #197 of 298
Honestly I said it before but I think they know the general public will regard it as iPhone 5 but I feel they will still lable it the new iPhone. . .

How?

I expect Something like this in the keynote.

2012 marks the 5th year since the introduction of the first iPhone. A phone that changed the way we look at smart phones. Its hard to belive that it has already been 5 years since we changed the industry with this revolutionary device, so today is very special to all of us here at apple. Today we are announcing our next generation iPhone. So, what are we going to call it?

*Cue 'iPhone5' title graphics with a big question mark behind it*

No, we are calling it the new iPhone."


Something like this seems right to me.

And of course they'd talk about the next 5 years ahead of them and how they hope to revolutionize as much.
Edited by StephanJobs - 9/4/12 at 4:05pm
post #198 of 298
Originally Posted by StephanJobs View Post
So, what are we going to call it?
a big question mark

 

Sounds exactly like something Apple would do, but we are in post-Steve territory. 

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #199 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanJobs View Post

2012 marks the 5th year since the introduction of the first iPhone.

That could be why they titled that with a 5 below the "year".

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #200 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

Just for the hell of it, here's my take.

 

iPhone - it's a new product

iPhone 3G - ooh 3G speeds! No iPhone 2, because the focus was the 3G network, *not* that it was a 3rd generation iphone.

iPhone 3GS - looks like the 3G, but faster. Not really a "4" yet.

iPhone 4 - new design, needs a new number to highlight it as "new". We were used to 3, and 4 comes after 3, so 4.

iPhone 4S - looks like a 4, but faster. Incremental upgrade, similar to 3G to 3GS. "S" possibly for Siri, or Speed (which is probably the idea behind 3G-S)

iPhone 5 - new design again, need to highlight the change. Most logical next number to use.

 

The only other thing it could possibly be called is "the new iPhone" per apple's similar naming for the iPad 3.

 

But again the advert says 5, and apple never puts out an advert then changes it for the showing. Thus iPhone 5. Case closed.

I do understand this logic, but I have (along with TS and others) been insistent that the next iPhone would/should be either iPhone 6 or just the new iPhone.

 

Until we saw the "new iPad" a few months ago, I have been arguing that iPhone 6 would be more appropriate due to the logic that it's the 6th generation of the phone.  And, it would match the generation of the iOS (6).  But since then, and since the new iPad dropped a suffix, I have been a very strong proponent of dropping the suffix in general.  Just seems more like the current/future Apple vision of nomenclature.  (i.e. they didn't add anything to the name of the retina Macbook Pro, nor the current iPad or iPod touch, Nano, etc.)

 

My additional logic was based off of the fact that they never released an iPhone 2, just called it 3GS, which you state in your post quoted here.  So if they skipped a numbering before It could happen again.

 

However, now that I see this invite, it seems pretty logical to suggest that the next iPhone will in fact be called iPhone 5.

 

Time will tell, but I still argue it would be more appropriate (IMO) to just drop the numbering altogether.  Keep it simple.  The new iPhone.

Additionally, calling it the iPhone 5 says nothing about the design, feature-set or generation of device.  So if it is in fact iPhone 5, I really need a reasoning for it from Apple themselves.  I just don't buy the simple logic that it's the 5th iPhone design.  To me, the 3g and 3gs were a single design iteration (differing internals but same "look").  The 4 and the 4s were also a single design gesture (IMO).


Edited by antkm1 - 9/4/12 at 4:20pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 'It's almost here:' Apple announces 'iPhone 5' event for Sept. 12