or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 'It's almost here:' Apple announces 'iPhone 5' event for Sept. 12
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

'It's almost here:' Apple announces 'iPhone 5' event for Sept. 12 - Page 7

post #241 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Next year when the 4th one is released, it'll be the new iPad. Called iPad. The 3rd iPad should be discounted as the iPad. Available on the Apple Store as the new iPad and iPad. 4th and 3rd, respectively. And then the year after, the same. 5th and 4th, respectively.

When they get to that point, I think it's more likely that they'd use the dates - just as is usually done to differentiate MBA, MBP, iMac, and Mac Pro versions. That is, "iMac late 2011".

 

I agree - the year is the simplest and most understandable designator for a limited line of products such as the iPhone. The only problem might be that it sounds a bit too Microsoft.

post #242 of 298

Can't wait! I think I will upgrade as soon as it is available.

post #243 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That's just your feeling, and I disagree that this is a sixth generation phone.

Based on.

Because I'm not seeing the logic that negates this as the sixth gen iPhone

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #244 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I think you're implying that in editing an original post, the mod would be doing it to change the position of a poster. If I'm wrong on that, let me know.


I guess I missed the part where this thread was called 'debate about Tallest Skill'

Stupid me I thought this thread was about Apple.

Perhaps you boys could take it to another room and leave the rest of us to stay on topic in peace.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #245 of 298

With the iPad name they will probably only sell two at the same time..the current generation and the previous generation. So they can get away with the old generation being just "iPad" and going with "The new iPad" for the new generation. With the phones they're selling multiple iterations at a time so it's a little trickier.

 

My thing about this new phone being called iPhone 6 because of the 6th generation on iOS 6 with the A6 processor (if it ends up an A6 and not an A5X) is what do they do in the future? 3G to 3GS. 4 to 4S. If this 2012 phone is named the 6 and they go to 6S next year (same form factor..faster internals) what happens in 2014? Presumably, that'd be the 8th generation phone on iOS 8 with an A8 processor. Would they call it the iPhone 8?

 

iPhone - iOS 1 - 1st Generation - ?? Chip - 2007

iPhone 3G - iOS 2 - 2nd Generation - ?? Chip - 2008

iPhone 3GS - iOS 3 - 3rd Generation - ?? Chip - 2009

iPhone 4 - iOS 4 - 4th Generation - A4 Chip - 2010

iPhone 4S - iOS 5 - 5th Generation - A5 Chip - 2011

iPhone 6 - iOS 6 - 6th Generation - A6 Chip - 2012

iPhone 6S - iOS 7 - 7th Generation - A7 Chip - 2013

iPhone 8 - iOS 8 - 8th Generation - A8 Chip - 2014

iPhone 8S - iOS 9 - 9th Generation - A9 Chip - 2015

iPhone 10 - iOS 10 - 10th Generation - A10 Chip - 2016

iPhone 10S - iOS 11 - 11th Generation - A11 Chip - 2017

 

They'll probably be off identifiers by then but this is fun.

You can't spell appeal without Apple.
Reply
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
Reply
post #246 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post


But you guys are making your own errors. Just because this is the sixth phone doesn't make it the sixth generation. You assume that a new phone, by definition, is a new generation. That doesn't make it true. Apple doesn't have to see it that way, and after all it's their phone.
They can define generation any way they want to, and that makes it right. We're just posters who have feelings about it, but whose feelings don't matter.
This could even be thought of as a forth generation phone.
But marketing doesn't always follow engineering conventions. A company looks to what they think is a defining feature of a product, and can, if they want to, use that as a marker in the name. So Apple called the newer version of the 3G the 3GS. Did they think of it as a new generation? No, they didn't. The "S" stood for speed. So they considered that they speeded up the 3G. Same model phone, faster internals. Some other more minor updates too. But apparently not worthy of an entirely new name.
Same thing with the "4". The "S" stood for Siri, supposedly, and maybe in addition, more speed. But again, clearly the same models.
So saying that this new one is the sixth generation is just the opinion of a few. Apple's naming conventions don't follow your thought, and no reason why they should. People would wonder what happened to the "5". That would be bad marketing.

You seem to be confused; if 3GS isn't a generation, why would iPhone 4 proceed it? Sorry, but Apple is dummying down the product line for those who can't be bothered to count, if iPhone 5 ends up being the name.

post #247 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogger View Post

Perhaps Apple is keeping it iPhone 5 because there's plenty of past generations still around and to differentiate it 5 would mean certain features from the iOS 6 can't be used with prior iPhones. 

5+ years since original iPhone launch maybe. That's the only way it could be positioned for it to make any sense.

post #248 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

and this was his last project.

Or not.

Tech can take easily a decade to go from design to release. We might not see Steve's last project for several more years

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #249 of 298
Has anyone bothered to notice that Sept. 12 falls on a Wednesday? Traditionally, Apple likes to announce new products on Tuesdays, yes? (No, really!) Discuss.

(Mid-2012) 15.4" MacBook Pro w/ IPS Retina Display | Quad Core i7-3720QM 2.6GHz / 3.6GHz Max. Turbo | 16GB DDR3-1600MHz RAM | 256GB Samsung 830 SSD-based NAND Flash ETA 9/5

Reply

(Mid-2012) 15.4" MacBook Pro w/ IPS Retina Display | Quad Core i7-3720QM 2.6GHz / 3.6GHz Max. Turbo | 16GB DDR3-1600MHz RAM | 256GB Samsung 830 SSD-based NAND Flash ETA 9/5

Reply
post #250 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX 
That could be why they titled that with a 5 below the "year".

Why would the 12 stand for 2012? This is an event teaser. I can't believe this is getting back into the whole iPhone 6 junk again. There's a 5 right in the ad, so either it's an iPhone 5 or it's another day e.g 12th September launch, October 5th shipping but it's looking a lot like the 5 is being used for what's obvious to most people. It doesn't have to be scientific or match hardware or software numbers, it just has to let people know it's the latest model.

If it's just 'the new iPhone' that would be fine but they might not have settled on this design yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna 
Or not.

Tech can take easily a decade to go from design to release. We might not see Steve's last project for several more years

Sure but this is the last one he will have seen through to its final stages of design:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-20120919-64/steve-jobs-last-big-project-the-next-iphone/
Quote:
Originally Posted by name 
Has anyone bothered to notice that Sept. 12 falls on a Wednesday? Traditionally, Apple likes to announce new products on Tuesdays, yes? (No, really!) Discuss.

They've done Wednesdays quite a few times in recent years:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/28/2829143/apple-ipad-3-event-march-7th-official

Wednesday is the new Tuesday.
post #251 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Next year when the 4th one is released, it'll be the new iPad. Called iPad. The 3rd iPad should be discounted as the iPad. Available on the Apple Store as the new iPad and iPad. 4th and 3rd, respectively. And then the year after, the same. 5th and 4th, respectively.

 

 

 

Well your opinion is well known here and you may even be correct as they could continue with the strategy they used this year.

 

I have had enough dealings with retailers to know that some bozo at a Best Buy or Walmart somewhere is going to screw it up.  Someone will ask for the "new iPad" and they are going to be sold an "iPad".  And I don't completely blame Walmart or Best Buy.  I think Apple should make it clear.  If you put a big "4" on the box, it is simple to know the associate is handing you the right or wrong iPad.  Even if it said on the box "New iPad", that would be something.  My opinion and I am not very emotional about.  Heck, even if it the box clearly had iPad (4th Generation) on the box, that would be something.  

 

Though I do feel simply incrementing the number will start to seem a bit silly when we get to iPad 13 - so I am certainly open to Apple using a bit of creativity.  Maybe come up with a naming system like they use for OS X...except with bacteria so you don't run out - iPad Abiotrophia.  

 

(that last bit was a joke)

post #252 of 298

I like the look of iPhone 5 (assuming the mockups are real). But it's nevertheless an evolutionary step from iPhone 4, at least externally. What will the next generation look like? Judging from iMac, Apple may well stick with this minimalist rounded rectangle form factor for a while. It would be interesting to see how Apple can continue to innovate this basic shape (I'd argue they have done so thus far with both iMac and iPhone).

post #253 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

But you guys are making your own errors. Just because this is the sixth phone doesn't make it the sixth generation. You assume that a new phone, by definition, is a new generation. That doesn't make it true. Apple doesn't have to see it that way, and after all it's their phone.
They can define generation any way they want to, and that makes it right. We're just posters who have feelings about it, but whose feelings don't matter.
This could even be thought of as a forth generation phone.
But marketing doesn't always follow engineering conventions. A company looks to what they think is a defining feature of a product, and can, if they want to, use that as a marker in the name. So Apple called the newer version of the 3G the 3GS. Did they think of it as a new generation? No, they didn't. The "S" stood for speed. So they considered that they speeded up the 3G. Same model phone, faster internals. Some other more minor updates too. But apparently not worthy of an entirely new name.
Same thing with the "4". The "S" stood for Siri, supposedly, and maybe in addition, more speed. But again, clearly the same models.
So saying that this new one is the sixth generation is just the opinion of a few. Apple's naming conventions don't follow your thought, and no reason why they should. People would wonder what happened to the "5". That would be bad marketing.

This is just crazy nonsense. It's a new phone, a year later, with a new name, and new event. It's inarguable that each YoY revision is a new generation of the iPhone from the customer's PoV. You talking about "engineering conventions" has absolutely no barring on this argument because you're talking about a phone, a whole device, not a single component or aspect that may or may not change with the same frequency as the new generation device.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #254 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Why would the 12 stand for 2012?

Why would Apple concieve multiple links to something instead of just one? Because they are good at marketing comes to mind.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #255 of 298
BTW, the "5" could mean a reference to the passing of Steve Jobs, (passed away on october 5, 2011). the 5 looks like shadow passing, so as a memorial to him (a stretch, yes... but the shadow is stretched)...
so, as to "pile on" to the chiding of "tallest skil" it will be called an iPhone 5... or the New iPhone...
the phone will be released october 5, 2012 internationally... (because in north america it will be 10 days after the launch)

it is amazing how right the Late Steve Jobs was...
post #256 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I guess I missed the part where this thread was called 'debate about Tallest Skill'
Stupid me I thought this thread was about Apple.
Perhaps you boys could take it to another room and leave the rest of us to stay on topic in peace.


the clue is the first page of the forum posts... LOL
post #257 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX 
Why would Apple concieve multiple links to something instead of just one? Because they are good at marketing comes to mind.

Sometimes getting straight to the point is all that's needed - a teaser just has to say what and when and that's what we got.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX 
It's inarguable that each YoY revision is a new generation of the iPhone from the customer's PoV.

Generally but that wasn't entirely the case with the first two. They have the same main model numbers. The original iPhone and 3G are numbered iPhone1,1 and iPhone1,2. That's why the next one will be iPhone5,1. Again they don't have to match up to the marketing label but this is the 5th generation, 3GS was 2nd, 4 was 3rd, 4S was 4th, this one is 5th. It will likely have an A5X chip and all the devices regardless of model number will start shipping with iOS 6.

"The new iPhone" will probably please everybody but I don't think they will put it on the packaging. The latest iPad was just called iPad on the box, not 'The new iPad' and for obvious reasons. A store can't have two different models with 'The new iPhone/iPad' on the box.

I reckon the box should just say iPhone if it is to be marketed as "The new iPhone" and iPhone 5 in both cases otherwise.
post #258 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Generally but that wasn't entirely the case with the first two. They have the same main model numbers. The original iPhone and 3G are numbered iPhone1,1 and iPhone1,2.

No they didn't. Apple clearly called th 2nd generation iPhone the iPhone 3G. That is not what the first generation was called.

What you're referring to is the internal name that is referring to the SoC. That is a single component of the entire device that refers to something very specific for the CPU architecture and does not mean the device as a whole isn't the next generation iPhone.
Quote:
It will likely have an A5X chip...

That seems unlikely to me. The A5X appears to have been named because it's the A5 with 2x (note the X) the GPU cores and RAM specifically to drive the display of the new iPad. I don't see why that is needed for a marginal gain in the number of pixels that is still well below the original iPad's pixels. Even if you consider the die shrink the power draw appears to me to be too high for this for design.
Edited by SolipsismX - 9/5/12 at 6:59am

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #259 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX 
What you're referring to is the internal name that is referring to the SoC. That is a single component of the entire device that refers to something very specific for the CPU architecture and does not mean the device as a whole isn't the next generation iPhone.

It's the model identifier, same with the Macs:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4132

It has nothing to do with the CPU architecture.
post #260 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX 
What you're referring to is the internal name that is referring to the SoC. That is a single component of the entire device that refers to something very specific for the CPU architecture and does not mean the device as a whole isn't the next generation iPhone.

It's the model identifier, same with the Macs:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4132

It has nothing to do with the CPU architecture.

 

Nevertheless - with the iPhone (and the iPad) the identifier has correlated exactly with the CPU, and nothing else. That seems unlikely to be a coincidence.

post #261 of 298

I'm thinking they are going to call it The New iPhone. Besides that, they have the 5 to get us excited.

post #262 of 298
Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post
With the iPad name they will probably only sell two at the same time..the current generation and the previous generation. So they can get away with the old generation being just "iPad" and going with "The new iPad" for the new generation. With the phones they're selling multiple iterations at a time so it's a little trickier.

 

"Probably"? We can't say ANYTHING about the iPad yet. I'm personally assuming they'll keep three models around, just like they do the iPhone. That would eliminate the need for a smaller… iP…

 

THE IPAD MINI RUMORS WE'VE BEEN SEEING ARE THE DESIGN OF THE NEW IPOD TOUCH. That explains the lack of side bezels! The rumor mill just has the dimensions wrong!

 

… anyway, keeping around three generations (yes. generations.) of iPad removes the iPad mini from the bill, because with the iPad 2 (and then 3, 4, etc.) at $299, what place is there in the market for any of their competitors, much less a smaller iPad proper?


Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
Has anyone bothered to notice that Sept. 12 falls on a Wednesday? Traditionally, Apple likes to announce new products on Tuesdays, yes? (No, really!) Discuss.

 

Steve's dead. Keynotes are on Wednesdays now.


Originally Posted by rednival View Post

I think Apple should make it clear.  If you put a big "4" on the box, it is simple to know the associate is handing you the right or wrong iPad.

 

It's also ugly (meaning just anti-Apple).

 

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
It's inarguable that each YoY revision is a new generation of the iPhone from the customer's PoV.

 

And yet dozens of people here will actually argue against that if you press them…


Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
That seems unlikely to me. The A5X appears to have been named because it's the A5 with 2x (note the X) the GPU cores and RAM specifically to drive the display of the new iPad. I don't see why that is needed for a marginal gain in the number of pixels that is still well below the original iPad's pixels. Even if you consider the die shrink the power draw appears to me to be too high for this for design.

 

I hope you're right. Maybe we'll see a non-photoshopped leak of a real PCB before the launch to confirm…

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #263 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post


Based on.
Because I'm not seeing the logic that negates this as the sixth gen iPhone


I bet Apple doesn't fret over what generation this is. It will simply be the phone being sold in the next 12 months, while they are working on the next two models.

post #264 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Steve's dead. Keynotes are on Wednesdays now.

 

Isn't really about avoiding Sept 11?

post #265 of 298
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
Isn't really about avoiding Sept 11?

 

Kids' movies are released on September 11. Films come out in the theater. Books in stores. There's no avoidance anymore.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #266 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry 
with the iPhone (and the iPad) the identifier has correlated exactly with the CPU, and nothing else. That seems unlikely to be a coincidence.

The 4S had model iPhone4,1 and an A5 chip.

I found a couple of new iPhone vids, I'm not sure if they've been posted already:




The fingerprint scanner looks neat. Apple did buy Authentec so that might be a feature. Sure beats typing in a passcode but the home button might not be big enough.
post #267 of 298

From those movies, I just realized how much of the keynote will be talking about the Dock Connector 2… and even the nanoSIM will be getting a shout out, won't it? 

 

While Apple would never put them in a movie like that, I liked those animated icons. I think I'd like to see icons that could be displaying real-time information do. Like Weather. Calendar has shown the current date since iPhone OS 1; why hasn't Weather shown the current weather in the leftmost city?

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #268 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry 
with the iPhone (and the iPad) the identifier has correlated exactly with the CPU, and nothing else. That seems unlikely to be a coincidence.

The 4S had model iPhone4,1 and an A5 chip.
 

 

Are you disagreeing?

 

iPhone CPU Code
     
1 8900 1,1
3G 8900 1,2
3GS 8920 2,1
4 A4 3,1 / 3,3
4S A5 4,1
post #269 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


Sometimes getting straight to the point is all that's needed - a teaser just has to say what and when and that's what we got.
Generally but that wasn't entirely the case with the first two. They have the same main model numbers. The original iPhone and 3G are numbered iPhone1,1 and iPhone1,2. That's why the next one will be iPhone5,1. Again they don't have to match up to the marketing label but this is the 5th generation, 3GS was 2nd, 4 was 3rd, 4S was 4th, this one is 5th. It will likely have an A5X chip and all the devices regardless of model number will start shipping with iOS 6.
"The new iPhone" will probably please everybody but I don't think they will put it on the packaging. The latest iPad was just called iPad on the box, not 'The new iPad' and for obvious reasons. A store can't have two different models with 'The new iPhone/iPad' on the box.
I reckon the box should just say iPhone if it is to be marketed as "The new iPhone" and iPhone 5 in both cases otherwise.

So why is the 3rd generation iPhone called iPhone 4? Just because?

post #270 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Kids' movies are released on September 11. Films come out in the theater. Books in stores. There's no avoidance anymore.


How can you know/prove that there is no avoidance anymore? Anyway, all we can do is speculate as Tim Cook ain't gonna to say "and this is why we chose to show you a new phone on Wednesday"

post #271 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post


I bet Apple doesn't fret over what generation this is. It will simply be the phone being sold in the next 12 months, while they are working on the next two models.

The company that brags about how pretty their computers are from the inside should fret about such.

post #272 of 298
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
How can you know/prove that there is no avoidance anymore?

 

Look around.

 

They do Wednesday releases because they no longer do Tuesday releases. They did Tuesday releases because Monday releases makes reporters take flights on a Sunday, and it's inconsiderate to cut into weekends.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #273 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It's the model identifier, same with the Macs:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4132
It has nothing to do with the CPU architecture.

The difference is that Macs are almost always (if not always) updated because there is a dramatic change in the CPU. As previously noted the first and second generation iPhones had the same basic CPU architecture but pretty much every other major aspect was different, hence HW label referencing the HW architecture was 1,2 instead of 2,1.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #274 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry 
Are you disagreeing?

I thought we were talking about the actual numbering of internal components matching the identifier (e.g iPhone6/A6) not that it only changed with a CPU change. I suppose the main id number could change based on whether the CPU changes but that doesn't happen with the Macs e.g the same MBP with a different CPU has the same main model id. It could differ for iOS devices though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slang4Art 
So why is the 3rd generation iPhone called iPhone 4? Just because?

This sort of thing was covered ad nauseum in the other thread but if you look at it the other way round, the 5th generation is called the 4S, which doesn't match up either.

We're on the 5th processor, 4th design, 6th OS and none of that means anything about what it's called.

The conclusion I'm sticking with is:
The new iPhone - possible
iPhone 5 - possible
iPhone 6 - no, completely nonsensical

Obviously people are rattling off the same reasons why iPhone 6 does make sense and iPhone 5 doesn't but the event is only a week away and they already planted a giant number 5 on the teaser so whatever you do say now can and will be used against you in the launch event thread.

If an iPhone 5 is launched, I expect we'll hear why Apple is wrong and it wouldn't have happened if Steve was running the company.
post #275 of 298
The shadow of 12 is 5, so:

12+5 = 17; 1+7 = 8
1+2+5 = 8

It'll be called iPhone 8. Why not? 8 major features, the same 8 megapixels, 8mm depth, 8 is like ∞ infinite loop, 8 types of conectivity (wifi,edge,3g,4g,bluetooth,UMTS,HSDPA,HSUPA), 8 is a common divider of the device capacity (8, 16, 32, 64 GB's), the same 8 hours of talk time on 3g, 8 sensors (4 new), 8 is double of 4 so is twice as good as the 4S...

Hehehehe….
lvidal.-
Reply
lvidal.-
Reply
post #276 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Or that they're doing what they've done twice in the past and are giving it the iPad's processor from earlier in the year. "A6" would've been great, but the past two models have been that year's iPad's chip.

 

THAT'S what it was! I couldn't for the life of me remember. Thanks for that.

 

And sure! Nothing wrong with people doing that to me if they do decide to call it a name it isn't, but I'm not going to be apologizing for knowing how to count.

Android trolls exist, but we have here The iPhone 5 Name Troll, himself. Just sayin'.

 

Don't thank me, I'm useless.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply
post #277 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


I thought we were talking about the actual numbering of internal components matching the identifier (e.g iPhone6/A6) not that it only changed with a CPU change. I suppose the main id number could change based on whether the CPU changes but that doesn't happen with the Macs e.g the same MBP with a different CPU has the same main model id. It could differ for iOS devices though.
This sort of thing was covered ad nauseum in the other thread but if you look at it the other way round, the 5th generation is called the 4S, which doesn't match up either.
We're on the 5th processor, 4th design, 6th OS and none of that means anything about what it's called.
The conclusion I'm sticking with is:
The new iPhone - possible
iPhone 5 - possible
iPhone 6 - no, completely nonsensical
Obviously people are rattling off the same reasons why iPhone 6 does make sense and iPhone 5 doesn't but the event is only a week away and they already planted a giant number 5 on the teaser so whatever you do say now can and will be used against you in the launch event thread.
If an iPhone 5 is launched, I expect we'll hear why Apple is wrong and it wouldn't have happened if Steve was running the company.

Also, we don't care if they call it the iPhone 69, as long as it's insanely great. Would be happy if it came with a blonde, though.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply
post #278 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post


Based on.
Because I'm not seeing the logic that negates this as the sixth gen iPhone

That's because a logical conclusion can't be drawn from such a statement.

post #279 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

This sort of thing was covered ad nauseum in the other thread but if you look at it the other way round, the 5th generation is called the 4S, which doesn't match up either.
We're on the 5th processor, 4th design, 6th OS and none of that means anything about what it's called.

I don't care about the other thread. I asked you a simple and direct question.

 

If your logic is that iPhone and iPhone 3G are the same generation, why is iPhone 4 called iPhone 4? Further, since you've obfuscated things a little more, why would naming the 4th generation iPhone "iPhone 4" somehow prohibit Apple from calling the 5th generation iPhone, "iPhone 4S"? After all, they did this with their 3rd generation iPhone "iPhone 3GS". If it worked in that instance, why not here?

 

If Apple named the fourth generation iPhone "iPhone 4" based on its A4 chip, calling it iPhone 5 halfway makes sense, though it is a bit sloppy since iPhone 4S has an Apple A5 as well.

 

This thread is a perfect summation as to why iPhone 5 is a bad name, and why "the new iPhone" is the smartest way to market it.

post #280 of 298
Originally Posted by Slang4Art View Post
…why is iPhone 4 called iPhone 4?

 

"Coincidence" seems to be all they say.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 'It's almost here:' Apple announces 'iPhone 5' event for Sept. 12