or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Nokia unveils Lumia 920 with 4.5" display, PureView camera
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Nokia unveils Lumia 920 with 4.5" display, PureView camera - Page 3

post #81 of 239

"wireless charging"
which is actually a WIRED brick that has to have physical contact with the phone without any traditional plug between the two that makes it less reliable and less power-efficient.

So you have to pick up the brick and the phone together, carefully, to answer a call or doing anything on the device.
Compared to the traditional charger where you just pick up the phone with the plugged cable.

post #82 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

They keep releasing products no one is buying. 

This wasn't even a product release. It was an announcement of something they're working on, hopefully to be released in the future at an unspecified date for an unannounced price.

post #83 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post

Digital image stabilization. There's a big difference between digital (iPhone) and optical (Lumia) image stabilization.


There is.

 

This video looks pretty impressive to me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cimDfEIEiu0&feature=BFa&list=PLgKNvl454BxeDMU2rPf3Y7rjegrzYwd7U

post #84 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by filburt View Post

If iPhone didn't exist, I would most likely buy Nokia Lumia phones. That said, these new phones are pretty disappointing. And Wall Street agrees, with Nokia stock down about 15% following the announcement.

1. iPhone 4S can also shoot 1080p video, with image stabilization.
2. PureView on Lumia 920 is a regression from Lumia 808's PureView, using much more limited image sensor (down from 41-megapixels to 8-megapixels). In fact, it really isn't much different from image sensor used on iPhone 4S.
6. But Lumia 920 doesn't have microSD slot.

Ah, if the iPhone didn't exist, there wouldn't BE Lumia phones. The status quo would be the same as it was before 2007, except that there would be a clone of the Blackberry phone in Android, but without BES server.
post #85 of 239

totally agree , nice to see a company thinking on innovative tech like wireless charging. 

Well done Nokia. 

post #86 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

It currently seems like the most compelling non-iPhone option (read: threat). Other than the GSIII, that is.


Agreed.. although I think the GS3 seems like a nicer phone. I have a friend that traded in his 4S for the GS3 (why I still don't know) - but he loves it.  I've played around with it a bit, and it's pretty cool.  Although I don't plan to leave the iphone. 

post #87 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Ah, if the iPhone didn't exist, there wouldn't BE Lumia phones. The status quo would be the same as it was before 2007, except that there would be a clone of the Blackberry phone in Android, but without BES server.

do you REALLLLY believe that?

That with capacitive touchscreens just becoming affordable enough for mobile and radios speeding up and processors becoming more efficient and powerful that the same ish would've been happening now as was then?

Really?

It'd be a different landscape, and for all you know a better one...

The only truth is there probably wouldn't be a Lumia...but there'd probably be phones LIKE the Lumia or better or completely different, etc.

The Tech to allow the iPhone hardly existed when the iPhone came out...at it's price point it couldn't even have existed in 2006.
post #88 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Is the implication that you think this is better than Apple's offerings? Can you really say that until the 12th? Of course I look around at other things.

 

It's an Apple website. I just don't see much reason to report on the others unless there's some direct relation or comparison to Apple's offerings. And at the very least, it doesn't belong in the iPhone subforum, but many generic news postings in the phone industry wind up here, so that's just a difference of opinion. 

 

Blah, blah, FUD, blah blah, gloom and doom… THIS is why I don't like seeing competitor crap here. Pulls the trolls even further out of the woodwork.

I agree with you Tall One. If the site would stick to Apple information more, maybe the discussions would not end up getting into a word match between the pro and con Apple fans. If I want to learn about Nokia and Win8, I will go to their site and likewise to learn Android go to the Android forums. 

 

After learning about the different phones, go try out a few at the carriers sale office. My small carrier even lets you use a phone for a few days without buying it so you can decide if it is the right one for your personal preference. 

 

Enough of the bickering and let's get more discussions on Apple products and less on the competitors offerings.

post #89 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post


Ah, if the iPhone didn't exist, there wouldn't BE Lumia phones. The status quo would be the same as it was before 2007, except that there would be a clone of the Blackberry phone in Android, but without BES server.


Competition is good.  It drives innovation from everyone.

 

My iPhone 4 is getting a couple of years old now... it was much better than my 3G before it, which was better than my BB before that.  But to me, the question is will the 5 be a step forward with new features worthy of moving to, or will it be an incremental upgrade like the 4S?

 

From what I've seen, I don't see the revolution and that worries me.  Friends will have phones more feature packed.

 

I hope I'm wrong and that Apple are leaping forward keeping ahead of phones like the Lumia.

post #90 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVertigo View Post


Agreed.. although I think the GS3 seems like a nicer phone. I have a friend that traded in his 4S for the GS3 (why I still don't know) - but he loves it.  I've played around with it a bit, and it's pretty cool.  Although I don't plan to leave the iphone. 

I hate the GS3

some cool features wrapped in a me too OS skin embodied in a zero effort design shell.
post #91 of 239
Did I hear him say, it's not really about the megapixels? Gasp....hasn't apple taken that stance and the competition shot it down as baloney?

Tsk tisk

I still remember when my photo teacher said phone camera's couldn't take good enough photo's to be used in our digital photo class...I wonder if they can use phones now.
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
Reply
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
Reply
post #92 of 239

just when I thought the Micorsoft UI could not get any fuglier, they went and proved me wrong.  What a disaster!  Windows Phone 7 was a total failure, and now the sequel, Windows Phone 8 will be another total failure.  Wonder how much more shareholder money Microsoft is going to piss away on this failed platform?

post #93 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Franks View Post

totally agree , nice to see a company thinking on innovative tech like wireless charging. 

Well done Nokia. 

Are you serious? Palm had that in 2009!

 

post #94 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by realwarder View Post


Competition is good.  It drives innovation from everyone.

My iPhone 4 is getting a couple of years old now... it was much better than my 3G before it, which was better than my BB before that.  But to me, the question is will the 5 be a step forward with new features worthy of moving to, or will it be an incremental upgrade like the 4S?

From what I've seen, I don't see the revolution and that worries me.  Friends will have phones more feature packed.

I hope I'm wrong and that Apple are leaping forward keeping ahead of phones like the Lumia.

Eh...truth be told...better is super subjective when it comes to these vastly different (despite how much people try to claim otherwise) OS ecosystems.

iPhone doesn't have to compete in the spec war or the wireless charging war or even really the LTE war...they have to be great at what they do.

Most of these phones offer the same stuff regardless...at the end of the day at least, especially iOS and Android with many devs releasing apps for both.

Apple doesn't have to release anything better than a Lumia right now or the Razr Maxx HD or whatever it's called...they have to release the best iPhone that at least competes and retains the UX that it's consumers are use to.
post #95 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post


Apple doesn't have to release anything better than a Lumia right now or the Razr Maxx HD or whatever it's called...they have to release the best iPhone that at least competes and retains the UX that it's consumers are use to.

 

Isn't that the mistake Blackberry made?  It was the standard.  You have to push the limits and set the standard or people move on.

post #96 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by realwarder View Post


Competition is good.  It drives innovation from everyone.

 

My iPhone 4 is getting a couple of years old now... it was much better than my 3G before it, which was better than my BB before that.  But to me, the question is will the 5 be a step forward with new features worthy of moving to, or will it be an incremental upgrade like the 4S?

 

From what I've seen, I don't see the revolution and that worries me.  Friends will have phones more feature packed.

 

I hope I'm wrong and that Apple are leaping forward keeping ahead of phones like the Lumia.

I'm not sure what feature the competition has the next iPhone won't have?

post #97 of 239
Originally Posted by melgross View Post
The financial markets are still reacting badly to today's event.

 

And my Dashboard widget is reacting even worse. Does anyone else have no chart for today, just the numbers? And why is Apple also down? Seems everyone's down; couldn't that be something bigger and not just Nokia being bad at what they do?
 

Originally Posted by melgross View Post
Ah, if the iPhone didn't exist, there wouldn't BE Lumia phones. The status quo would be the same as it was before 2007, except that there would be a clone of the Blackberry phone in Android, but without BES server.

 

Now you've done it. Here they come. The Natural Progression Brigade is after you.


Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post
do you REALLLLY believe that?
That with capacitive touchscreens just becoming affordable enough for mobile and radios speeding up and processors becoming more efficient and powerful that the same ish would've been happening now as was then?
Really?
It'd be a different landscape, and for all you know a better one...

 

See. Told you.


Originally Posted by blackbook View Post
Are you serious? Palm had that in 2009!

 

Palm… Palm… oh, the guys that nearly kicked HP out of the computer business entirely! I remember them. 

post #98 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

I'm not sure what feature the competition has the next iPhone won't have?


Good.  That puts my mind at rest.

 

I want a camera that is as good as that Nokia's on my next iPhone.

post #99 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post

Digital image stabilization. There's a big difference between digital (iPhone) and optical (Lumia) image stabilization.

I used to think so too. Canon invented optical stab. They licensed it to Sony for their camcorders. But Sony decided to use digital for their still cameras, and most other camera manufacturers did too. At first, it wasn't very good, but over the years got much better. It's pretty much equal to optical, except for very expensive glass and very high Rez sensors. But Nikon and Canon still go that way.

I don't see this as much more than a marketing ploy such as Carl Zeiss, Schneider, and Leica lenses on cheap cameras, and phone cameras.
post #100 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by realwarder View Post


Good.  That puts my mind at rest.

 

I want a camera that is as good as that Nokia's on my next iPhone.

Spec-wise I don't see much difference between the Lumia 920's camera and the 4S's. In real world use the Lumia's may be better, but we won't know that until this thing eventually gets released which is another fact we don't know.

post #101 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


Now you've done it. Here they come. The Natural Progression Brigade is after you.

See. Told you.


So all those innovative advances in mobile technology would've just sat there unused? untouched? For five years with zero sign of advancement?

It'd be a vastly different field without the iPhone...maybe better, maybe worse (likely). But it'd likely still be a significant progression following the tech itself.

Don't let your fanboism cloud your rationality.
post #102 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by realwarder View Post


There is.

This video looks pretty impressive to me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cimDfEIEiu0&feature=BFa&list=PLgKNvl454BxeDMU2rPf3Y7rjegrzYwd7U

There's good, and bad stabilization. Compare a good optical stab. Lens and a bad stab system on a camera, and we know the result. Do it the other way around, and the same result will occur.

That Nokia demo shows no comparison, other than with stab. off, and then on. The last scene at first had natural lighting, at night, and poor focus (with their camera, as the auto focus is very poor without the high light level, and the same with the stab. feature), and then a large blast of light. That wasn't a fair comparison. Their focus would have been pretty bad without the light.
post #103 of 239

So, it has a better camera then.

 

I don't care about inductive charging. My toothbrush has it so they can waterproof the base because, you know, people like to keep their toothbrushes next to the sink. I see no reason why a phone needs it.

 

Augmented reality apps are not new. There are iPhone apps that do that. Maybe Nokia's is better, I don't know. I've never used one. Yelp and standard maps apps seem to work just fine.

 

Soooo... other than the camera, why should I give up my iPhone for this?

post #104 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Palm… Palm… oh, the guys that nearly kicked HP out of the computer business entirely! I remember them. 

That is why features like "wireless charging" aren't going to save struggling tech companies. Palm did it (it was definitely more groudbreaking then than now) and still died and now Nokia does it 3 years late and hopes that'll be enough for people to consider their phones over iPhones/Androids.

post #105 of 239
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post
Even that doesn't explain why you can't even get at least a a 3GS or 4 for around $100 and be able to use iOS 5.

 

I have an iPad for that.


…I wouldn't presume to go to a Ferrari forum and tell them their opinions are laughable or stupid for wanting this or that feature added in the next model.

 

I don't recall ever doing that. I recall holding people back because we know nothing about what's actually IN the software or hardware, and I recall expressing my opinion on gimmicks, like inductive charging and widgets… 

 

Apple will do what they feel is best for them and you seem foolish trying to explain how they got it wrong.

 

I'd go into the whole thing about how they can't just create anything (5 lb. phone, 640x480 screen, etc.) and expect customers to take it lying down, but you'd ignore that because I'm "not a customer". 


Unlike you, I can afford an iPhone and data plan and if I like their next iPhone I will buy it and if I don't I will look elsewhere.

 

So using your financial status in your argument? What's the point of that? If I like a phone, I'll buy it. If not, I'll look elsewhere. Same with any Apple product. Same with any other product. The Apple TV, for example, doesn't do what I'd love for it to do, so I don't buy it. Presently, it's just one feature away from purchasing three or more. But I have no use for the device until it has that. 


Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post
Don't let your fanboism cloud your rationality.
 

Don't let your whatifsmanship cloud our reality. We all share the same 5D branch of this tree. You want to live in a world where Apple doesn't exist  and prove us all wrong? Figure out how to travel withward (that's a direction) 6-dimensionally. Then come back and show us that over there, "natural progression" actually happened. We won't care, because that doesn't matter to us, because Apple did it, despite everyone else having plenty of time to also do so, but go ahead.

post #106 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

How many other companies are even making a windows phone besides Nokia? I am sure a few are, but they certainly aren't pushing or advertising them heavily. If Nokia fails (which is likely) will that be the end of Windows as a phone option? 

Samsung, Sony, LG and HTC. They've all been making Win Phone since the beginning. Samsung did do marketing. AT&T, Win Phone biggest supporter did over $100 million in Win Phone advertising since it came out.
post #107 of 239
I can't wait to see tests regarding wireless charging times v. plugged in charging times, and the amount of power each needs.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #108 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

do you REALLLLY believe that?
That with capacitive touchscreens just becoming affordable enough for mobile and radios speeding up and processors becoming more efficient and powerful that the same ish would've been happening now as was then?
Really?
It'd be a different landscape, and for all you know a better one...
The only truth is there probably wouldn't be a Lumia...but there'd probably be phones LIKE the Lumia or better or completely different, etc.
The Tech to allow the iPhone hardly existed when the iPhone came out...at it's price point it couldn't even have existed in 2006.

I don't have to believe it, it's true. Capacitive screens were still expensive when the iPhone first came out. It was because of the iPhone that other manufacturers had to use them. Don't get things backwards.

There was little movement in the phone industry before the iPhone. They were reserved for business use at times. I tried to buy an HTC 6700 at one time, but was told that it was just for business customers! How stupid was that?

Everyone in the industry acknowledges that the iPhone changed everything. You should too.
post #109 of 239

NOK down 16.25%

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
post #110 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by realwarder View Post


Competition is good.  It drives innovation from everyone.

My iPhone 4 is getting a couple of years old now... it was much better than my 3G before it, which was better than my BB before that.  But to me, the question is will the 5 be a step forward with new features worthy of moving to, or will it be an incremental upgrade like the 4S?

From what I've seen, I don't see the revolution and that worries me.  Friends will have phones more feature packed.

I hope I'm wrong and that Apple are leaping forward keeping ahead of phones like the Lumia.

Revolution? We're not going to see another revolution in phones for some time. That will require more technological change. Things can only be done when the tech is ready. Another revolution may require ten times the processing power we currently have. Totally new ways to display things as well. OLEDs are nice, for example, but they're just an incremental advance (and right now, they offer no real advantage).

It's very likely that phones and OS's have matured to the point where we won't see major advances over the near few years, just a steady refining of what we see. ICloud is probably the biggest advance, along with Siri, once they perfect that.

Otherwise, what can be done? Slightly bigger screens? Slightly higher resolutions? Faster SoC's. Another sensor added to the half dozen or so we have now? Slightly better battery life?

I don't see any revolutions by anyone.
post #111 of 239

What chips are they using and are they over clocking?  Windows PCs tend to do over clocking from time to time, which might be a reason why they have reliability issues.

post #112 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

So, it has a better camera then.

 

<snip>

 

Soooo... other than the camera, why should I give up my iPhone for this?

I'd love a bigger screen. My 41-year-old eyes would welcome it.

post #113 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why is every Apple website reporting on this thing? Why do we care?

Must be sad living in such a small bubble...

post #114 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And my Dashboard widget is reacting even worse. Does anyone else have no chart for today, just the numbers? And why is Apple also down? Seems everyone's down; couldn't that be something bigger and not just Nokia being bad at what they do?

I have charts, but one can go to Yahoo Finance and find anything they like. Nokia is down over 16.5%. I'm amazed at how the financial community is looki g at this. The stock made a couple of attempts to move back up, but it's one of the worst sell offs I've ever seen. The volume is unbelievable: Over 211 million shares trades hands today. More than four times the usual amount. Incredible!
 
Quote:
Now you've done it. Here they come. The Natural Progression Brigade is after you.

That's ok, I know the facts here. And a few posters can argue with the entire industry about them for all I care.
post #115 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahblade View Post

Nice phone. I love windows UI... 4.5 screen size is the "sweet spot" for me. I have a company iPhone 4S. if Apple new iPhone is just a bigger 4s, with better specs. I will carry 2 phones, the 4s and lumia. No android for me!

Thank You! I agree 100% and am shocked that certain Apple fans are oblivious to the fact that most smartphone owners (even iPhone owners) want a larger screen and I doubt the new 4" elongated version will satisfy this hunger. I would be satisfied with 4.3" but if I had my druthers it would be 4.5". Apple will eventually get the message and make a larger screen, but probably not until 2014. 

 

Can you furnish a link or other citation to support: "most smartphone owners (even iPhone owners) want a larger screen"?

 

Personally, I want a smaller phone with a larger screen.

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
post #116 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why is every Apple website reporting on this thing? Why do we care?

 

Speak for yourself. Some of us, although we prefer Apple for clear reasons, also love technology and are interested about the industry as a whole and new products. I don't see it as a point of pride to only be concerned about or follow news and products related to Apple. This is Nokia/Microsoft's flagship phone which it will use to launch Windows 8. It's a pretty big deal in the mobile phone industry, and just happens to have some cool new features. Do I think I will be buying it? I doubt it, but thats irrelevant. I won't kill me to read about it. Nor will it kill you to read a single article about another company's flagship product once every few months. And if you don't care, you're free not to click on the article and take the effort to post about how you don't care- advice you give to others constantly- and advice you should take for yourself, especially in a position as a mod. 

 

So again, speak for yourself. You're not 'we', and just because most people who post/visit here have an interest in Apple, does not mean we want to have blinders on and pretend nothing else exists. Its an utterly fanboyish attitude, n better than those that shit on every iPhone release because its an iPhone. I prefer Apple products because of pragmatic reasons I can clearly and specifically articulate, and if another company somehow supercedes Apple in the big things I care about, I would be open to purchasing their products.

post #117 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

For some weird reasons, people here seem to love Nokia phones, which I just couldn't understand. I mean, it's Win OS, which just very bulky and way too busy compared to the iOS. "At least they're not copying Apple" is not a good reason to like a phone, period.

just hate it least
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #118 of 239
Originally Posted by melgross View Post
The volume is unbelievable: Over 211 million shares trades hands today. More than four times the usual amount. Incredible!

 

"Nokia is saved!" cry their proponents! Ignoring, of course, the direction in which the 'trade hands' is going. lol.gif

 

 

  😱

Oh, wait, they really ARE saved!

post #119 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac-user View Post

"wireless charging"

which is actually a WIRED brick that has to have physical contact with the phone without any traditional plug between the two that makes it less reliable and less power-efficient.
So you have to pick up the brick and the phone together, carefully, to answer a call or doing anything on the device.

Compared to the traditional charger where you just pick up the phone with the plugged cable.

yet you'll love it when Apple introduces it and think they invented it.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #120 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Ah, if the iPhone didn't exist, there wouldn't BE Lumia phones. The status quo would be the same as it was before 2007, except that there would be a clone of the Blackberry phone in Android, but without BES server.


That's exaggerating a bit. I think phones on par with the first iPhone would be the phones of today hadn't it been for Apple.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Nokia unveils Lumia 920 with 4.5" display, PureView camera