or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › New photos of alleged next-gen iPhone show off 'uni-body' design's thinness

New photos of alleged next-gen iPhone show off 'uni-body' design's thinness - Page 2

post #41 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Agree with you.  Love my 4s.  It's design is a classic.  As SJ said, "Like a fine Leica camera.."  Also, I like the glass back and stainless steel sides.  Makes the phone relatively hard to scratch.

Still, as a stockholder, I fear that the stock will not react too well if everyone starts saying that there is nothing new here - design wise.

They said that last year when 4S was released. The stock has more or less doubled since. Your retirement is fine :)

post #42 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I am. I get excited when a new 911 Turbo Carerra Porsche rolls off the assembly line. The polish and quality of these designs drives the industry, period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'll be more surprised if the battery life isn't increased with this new phone.

In keeping with the Porsche analogy, each version of the 911 has at least the same amount if not more gusto under the hood. So we can expect each iPhone to never regress in specs such as speed, battery life and camera.

post #43 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundvision View Post

I'm sure Steve had quite a bit of influence on this design.

A good friend of mine who is high up at Apple, told me over 1.5 years ago, well before the 4S came out, that Apple would be going with a taller screen, not a wider screen. Sure enough, he was right.

Haters gonna hate.

From the perspective of video viewing, it will indeed be a wider screen :)

post #44 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

It will be interesting to see what the reaction to this is. Times are changing, and I'm not sure if Apple can afford to take it easy anymore. 

Reaction...to what?  The iPhone 5 will be a blockbuster regardless of its thickness (within reason).   It will much faster.  It will be LTE.  The screen will be bigger.  The people that will be most interested are people like me...folks who have an iPhone 4 or earlier.  It will have an improved casing and antenna design.   So please, let's not scream Apple is Doomed just yet.

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #45 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunspot42 View Post

Makes sense to me.  With today's iPhone if you want to hear it ring your best bet is to shove it top-first into your pants or jacket pocket, but if you want to use headphones you have to flip it so the top is pointing up.

With this iPhone you'll use the same orientation regardless of whether you're using headphones or not.

That is a good point which I agree with. I always put my iPhone in my pocket upside down anyway since I am often just checking the time so as I am reaching for the phone I can press the home button simultaneously and that little indention of the home button also give a slightly better grip so I don't accidentally drop it. Never dropped it yet anyway. They probably could make the ring tone a bit louder though.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #46 of 111

I think the speakers look much better on the 4, I hope at least that part of the leak is not true.  Not that I'm going to get one, but, still those speaker holes are lame.  I want my iPhone peeps to be happy.

post #47 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I always put my iPhone in my pocket upside down anyway since I am often just checking the time so as I am reaching for the phone I can press the home button simultaneously and that little indention of the home button also give a slightly better grip so I don't accidentally drop it.

I do the same thing.
post #48 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

Consumers are supposed to get excited over this?

I remember when gizmodo first got their hands on the stolen iPhone and put it on display.

First thought I had was

"this isn't apple . .the design is so . . Plain"

Then I got it in my hands and it elegance and simplicity spoke volumes. I still think its the best looking phone on the market 2 years later.

Now I'm ready for a new design and I will admit I felt similar to the way others felt negatively about this design when I first saw it.

It has grown on me but, I think we should (most likely many of us will) hold our judgment until we see it in your greasy little hands.

I actually think whatever they out out there will be a nice looking device.
post #49 of 111
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/09/goophone-apple-iphone/all/1
If anyone wants to see the Chinese version...
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #50 of 111

I agree with most here this is a classic design

Cant beat the integration with other products, blows away my current samsung for music/photo integration

Bought the samsung S2 for LTE here in canada, which I LOVE (LTE that is) and can keep usage under control, but virtually unusable for music, camera sucks...

For those complaining about no design change, look at the new Nokia...

Virtually a copycat of their last years version, which I think is a cool design

Once youve got a great design, hard to justify a switch

I for one will almost certainly go back to iphone now that LTE has arrived!

post #51 of 111
I find from the pictures online so far, the quality of the metal body on iPhone 5 is too low quality. Worse than a spoon that has been tucked in the corner of the drawer for years unused. Looks like it is too light to be regarded as HQ too. We'll see when we get there.
post #52 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianld View Post

Why oh why are they moving the headphone jack to the bottom of the device??  Am I the only person who thinks this is odd?  Honestly can't see the reasoning for that one.  Someone please explain!

It lets them make the battery taller, almost to the very top of the phone. It also places the jack at the bottom of the phone, near the new plug, which will come in handy with the 30-pin accessory adaptor (both from an electronic and structural standpoint). 

post #53 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Reaction...to what?  The iPhone 5 will be a blockbuster regardless of its thickness (within reason).   It will much faster.  It will be LTE.  The screen will be bigger.  The people that will be most interested are people like me...folks who have an iPhone 4 or earlier.  It will have an improved casing and antenna design.   So please, let's not scream Apple is Doomed just yet.

Exactly. The iPhone 5 will be a smash hit no matter what anyone here or elsewhere says. It looks different enough, and packs all the features people have been saying the iPhone lacked for years. Widescreen, LTE, and maybe even an NFC like solution. There won't be anything Android will have over it.

post #54 of 111

I like the fact that there is a new iPhone model coming out.  I like the fact the screen is larger.  What I do not like is how tall the screen is compared to the 4s.  Honestly I think a wider and Taller screen would have been better.

An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #55 of 111

Hope to maybe offer my opinions on some of your concerns;

4G (it will make me get a more expensive data plan

You don't have to use 4G; and pretty much everyone else wants that feature

looks too much like the IPhone 4.

To me, it looks similar, but still quite different.  yes, it's still a rounded rectangle, but this has a solid aluminum body, no glass on back,  is of a different size, and thinner.  The "face" of it is still very "Iphone"  but that is part of their branding.  I mean the de-facto Iphone icon is basically it's silhouette, What other Phone is IMMEDIATELY identifiable by just it's silhouette?

the Notification control panel is confusing and overly complicated

I do think the notification Panel should be "cleaned-up": get rid of the texture there, make it look more like the settings "app".  perhaps then notification categories should be "minimized" by default to just their headings and expand when you touch them (perhaps they "glow" when there is a recent notification?)

The voice-mail interface needs to be the same as the rest of the interface

Seems the same to me... Swipe-to-delete works on IOS5 for me unless I don't understand you.

Provide a way to zoom into websites designed for mobile devices

More up to the website developer;  if they have specified a fixed viewport then they can prevent you from zooming.

Make it so IOS does not hesitate when I'm swiping from the home screen to the search screen

Doesn't happen on my Iphone 4s (ios 5)

Make it easy to automatically switch off data or Wi-Fi based on where you are and your signal to either

IOS5 already does one part of this,  if it detects a known WiFi it automatically connects and all data then goes through the WiFi,  and i thought in IOS 6 they added a feature to automatically switch back to cellular if WiFi signal gets too low, not sure though...

post #56 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

I like the fact that there is a new iPhone model coming out.  I like the fact the screen is larger.  What I do not like is how tall the screen is compared to the 4s.  Honestly I think a wider and Taller screen would have been better.

I think it's funny how many people here wish it were wider and taller.

I imagine if Apple actually did that it'd be "fatty Nano" all over again.

post #57 of 111
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Oh, and I propose a new rule that instates automatic banning for any mention of 'Steve Jobs would have never allowed' horse-shit.

Agreed, but that's not an "official AppleInsider position". 

😒

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post
I think it's funny how many people here wish it were wider and taller. I imagine if Apple actually did that it'd be "fatty Nano" all over again.

*nodding* They don't really know what they actually want… 

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #58 of 111

Im afraid this is going to be a major dissapointment.  I was expecting a more radical design change from the dated look thats been around so long.   If IO6 represents the sw improvements, this is more like a 4Sb  than a ver 5.

post #59 of 111
Goddamn, where can I buy one of these alleged iPhone 5 shells? It's like the suppliers sprung a leak, and it's gushing parts.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #60 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

It lets them make the battery taller, almost to the very top of the phone. It also places the jack at the bottom of the phone, near the new plug, which will come in handy with the 30-pin accessory adaptor (both from an electronic and structural standpoint). 

Its so you will buy all new accessories.  The dozens of existing docks will block the new headphone jack; so you just go buy all new docs or a bunch of flimsy dongels.

post #61 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunspot42 View Post

Makes sense to me.  With today's iPhone if you want to hear it ring your best bet is to shove it top-first into your pants or jacket pocket, but if you want to use headphones you have to flip it so the top is pointing up.

With this iPhone you'll use the same orientation regardless of whether you're using headphones or not.

Another reason: There are no gaping holes at the top. This means if there is some rain while you're talking or looking at the screen, there's less chance of water getting in.

I haven't yet heard any reason to have the headphone plug at the top. The only reason it was there on previous iphones is because there wasn't room on the bottom.

post #62 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinneal View Post

why does everyone expect/want a radical redesign every year, it makes no sense to redesign it just for the sake of it and to make it seem like its something different.

If apple feel they got the design right, then whats the point in them changing it?

It's because there are idiots out there who think that just because a new model comes out every year, they have to upgrade, and if they have to upgrade, they want something completely different.     Do these same people buy a new car every year?    I think there needs to be a new study of anal-compulsive behavior in the U.S. because it seems to be epidemic.   On the other hand, all these people replacing their phones every year is what is keeping Apple stock at near record levels.   

I'm still using my iPhone 3G.    I probably will finally upgrade to this phone, whatever it is.      

post #63 of 111
when the original iPhone came out people said it was doomed, then the 2nd came out and it wasn't a big improvement, then the 3rd and the app store.. then the 3Gs was a idiotic addition of an "s".. and so came the 4th with the unibody design but was sick with "antennagate" and so te 4s came to the rescue and "crap" everybody was expecting the 5 but what can you do!

so here we are all over again going crazy about a phone that haven't been released yet but we already find flaws and crap all over it..

and still we're all going to buy it!

(solipsismx I dare you reply this post)

=P

post it from my iPhone 4s
Edited by Zenga - 9/5/12 at 6:23pm
zenga
zenga
post #64 of 111
Originally Posted by davestall View Post
Im afraid this is going to be a major dissapointment.  I was expecting a more radical design change from the dated look thats been around so long.   If IO6 represents the sw improvements, this is more like a 4Sb  than a ver 5.

It's astonishing just how completely stupid and uninformed that sounds.

Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post
The trolls are out. You can smell their fear.

Indeed. As seen above, they're pathetically rehashing LAST YEAR'S arguments, even, because they literally have nothing else to say. And yet we let them. We let them.

post #65 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

Part of the decreased thickness might be due to replacing the glass back with Al.

To answer skeptics who poo-poo what they perceive as incremental change in design, consider this - how much has the overall shape of the Porsche 911 (feel free to replace with your fav luxury sports car) changed overall? If you're observant, you'd have noticed subtle changes every few years representing advances in headlights, metal fabrication technique, etc. All the while, the engine improved much more dramatically but also imperceptibly to those not able to drive one.

The point is that when you have developed a classic design, you evolve it deliberately and not just for the sake of change.

My fav luxury sports car. Change is good.

And 911 sales are tanking http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2012/01/cayenne-aside-are-porsche-sales-dropping.html

Edited by hentaiboy - 9/5/12 at 6:28pm
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
post #66 of 111

I remember that the original iphone was described as a design that followed the "golden ratio" a ratio of measurements evident throughout nature and in which we can perceive a lot of natural beauty.

There is something about the new iphones design that just puts me off - it's not a conscious thought I can articulate, just a vague unease that the measurements seem out... perhaps because they have abandoned the golden ratio...

post #67 of 111

Would rather see the same size as the 4S and have a built in finger print scanner.

post #68 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

Part of the decreased thickness might be due to replacing the glass back with Al.

To answer skeptics who poo-poo what they perceive as incremental change in design, consider this - how much has the overall shape of the Porsche 911 (feel free to replace with your fav luxury sports car) changed overall? If you're observant, you'd have noticed subtle changes every few years representing advances in headlights, metal fabrication technique, etc. All the while, the engine improved much more dramatically but also imperceptibly to those not able to drive one.

The point is that when you have developed a classic design, you evolve it deliberately and not just for the sake of change.

In total agreement.  The new design is elegant, functional and very "Jobsian."

post #69 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

It's because there are idiots out there who think that just because a new model comes out every year, they have to upgrade, and if they have to upgrade, they want something completely different.     Do these same people buy a new car every year?    I think there needs to be a new study of anal-compulsive behavior in the U.S. because it seems to be epidemic.   On the other hand, all these people replacing their phones every year is what is keeping Apple stock at near record levels.   

I'm still using my iPhone 3G.    I probably will finally upgrade to this phone, whatever it is.      

Most plans allow for subsidized upgrade every 24 months.  At $199, an upgraded iPhone will add $8.30/month to your cost.  With the average cell bill at $100/month, why not have the latest and best tool on your hip?  There is a huge amount of pent-up demand from iPhone4 owners who have skipped the 4S and are now upgrade eligible for the "5."

post #70 of 111

One of the things I noticed about this photo compared to previous ones posted: the metal is silver colored on both the black and white versions. Earlier photos show the black iPhone with a darker gunmetal grey/black color. I hope that is the model that Apple releases.

post #71 of 111

I have to admit that I'm not overly excited about this phone.  I have the 4S, and the screen isn't going to be improved by a little bit more length.  Now if they told me that phone calls (what the device is, technically) sounded dramatically better (calls haven't improved as far as audio quality since the first iPhone from my daily-use, practical opinion), I'd be very interested in getting one.  I use the iPhone as a phone more than a data device.  I live in the Seattle area where we have 4G service.  Why do calls still sound horrible with cut outs, fade outs, and just general poor call quality?  Just once I'd like to receive a call and have it sound as crystal clear as a land line.  That's one thing I think Apple needs to put more thought toward.  The calls themselves must sound better, even if they have to use some of that data bandwidth I pay so much for, to improve the actual calls.  Maybe they'll improve things by the time the 5S comes out.

Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
post #72 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Green View Post
Now if they told me that phone calls (what the device is, technically) sounded dramatically better (calls haven't improved as far as audio quality since the first iPhone from my daily-use,

So, I guess the addition of a second noise cancelling microphone with the 4, was a total waste of time then?

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #73 of 111
Quote:

You are still posting here?

post #74 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

We let them because in the end they're toothless and harmless.

I wonder what this years "antennagate" will be?

Yellow screens, hot spots, exploding batteries, some other trivial issue to pick up and run with as if the world is ending.

Maybe someone should run a book.

post #75 of 111
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post
I wonder what this years "antennagate" will be?

"The top and bottom of my screen are broken. Whenever I open an app, they're always black! Nuh uh, I know what I'm talking about! I'm not like those guys that think it has two speakers!"

post #76 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

A millimetre is significant. Wait until you get one. The excitement will be in you hand.

And you would be the expert on getting excited holding something a millimeter thick in your hand...

post #77 of 111

I'm ready. Bring it on.

post #78 of 111
Quote:

Does Porsche change the design of their cars every year? Or decade? How about BMW, or Mercedes? What is it that you are really expecting? This is a beautifully engineered and designed computing device that isn't just good, but outstanding. If you're looking for something that looks like a different design go buy something else. Meanwhile, its Apple's total ecosystem, advanced and upgraded features and functions, iOS and the hundreds of thousands of apps, coupled with this beautifully designed hardware, that make the iPhone the best selling smartphone in the world.

post #79 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissMac2 View Post

This design is crap. It's basically a 4S S with pretty much the same thickness of body - it's just the thinner glass that is different - and that'll shatter more easily if there is only one layer. Then you've got those untidy holes all over the place - Steve Jobs would never have allowed a product like that to be released, it offends anyone with any artistic sensibilities. They aren't uniform, nor are they symmetrical. Was Jony Ive on leave when they thought this Frankenstein up? I really, really wanted to replace my tired old 3G iPhone this year, it's about 4 years old now and I really don't want a Samesung or a Notia...

wow! how ignorant can one be? you are using a 4 year old 3G and you think this is crap? please remove head from rectum and take a deep breath of fresh air.... try it, you'll like it....

post #80 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

And you would be the expert on getting excited holding something a millimeter thick in your hand...

So I take it paxman has met you?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › New photos of alleged next-gen iPhone show off 'uni-body' design's thinness