or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › New photos of alleged next-gen iPhone show off 'uni-body' design's thinness
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New photos of alleged next-gen iPhone show off 'uni-body' design's thinness - Page 3

post #81 of 111
You know, I'd really suggest whoever hates this design to just jump ship now. This will almost certainly be the exact design for 2013's phone also, so we're looking at 2 years with this, and I'd prefer to go without the incessant bitching and whining throughout that entire time, and repeating this cycle of hype and dissapointment all over again next year. Justdeal with it and move on. Either buy it or don't, but please just shutup about your dissapointment. If you expressed it once, it's more than enough.
post #82 of 111

Shut up and take my money!

post #83 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

You know, I'd really suggest whoever hates this design to just jump ship now. This will almost certainly be the exact design for 2013's phone also, so we're looking at 2 years with this, and I'd prefer to go without the incessant bitching and whining throughout that entire time, and repeating this cycle of hype and dissapointment all over again next year. Justdeal with it and move on. Either buy it or don't, but please just shutup about your dissapointment. If you expressed it once, it's more than enough.

People have hated every iPhone design to date.

Original iPhone - Stupid because it didn't have a slide out keyboard and foolishly had a glass cover instead of plastic (which was just an Apple conspiracy for you to break it and then have to buy another one). Also had easily scratch-prone aluminum casing with stupid two-tone back that was ugly.
iPhone 3G - Got rid of aluminum for cheap looking and feeling plastic.
iPhone 3GS - Apple was so cheap that they relabeled the exact same cheap phone again.
iPhone 4... - (rinse and repeat)

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #84 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillio View Post

What I don't know about it:

  • if they'll make the home button more reliable, so it does not stop working well after almost two years.

 

It's due to the layer of carbon formed between the button and the contact below,

 

Clean off the carbon with an eraser it will work fine (I know you will tell me how to open up the phone to do it, just google for the process)

post #85 of 111

Not referring to just this forum but forums in general.  Would people speak to people face to face in the way they do in forums.  Just a few examples from this thread that is actually a very mild thread and only 3 pages long.

 

1. It's astonishing just how completely stupid and uninformed that sounds.

 

2. Indeed. As seen above, they're pathetically rehashing LAST YEAR'S arguments

 

3. Not to mention brainless, witless, useless.......

 

4. wow! how ignorant can one be? you are using a 4 year old 3G and you think this is crap? please remove head from rectum and take a deep breath of fresh air.... try it, you'll like it....

 

I think it is sad that talking about tech can reduce us to insulting each other.  Just imagine how bad we would be if we were talking about something that is actually important.

post #86 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by qualar View Post

Not referring to just this forum but forums in general.  Would people speak to people face to face in the way they do in forums.  Just a few examples from this thread that is actually a very mild thread and only 3 pages long.

 

1. It's astonishing just how completely stupid and uninformed that sounds.

 

2. Indeed. As seen above, they're pathetically rehashing LAST YEAR'S arguments

 

3. Not to mention brainless, witless, useless.......

 

4. wow! how ignorant can one be? you are using a 4 year old 3G and you think this is crap? please remove head from rectum and take a deep breath of fresh air.... try it, you'll like it....

 

I think it is sad that talking about tech can reduce us to insulting each other.  Just imagine how bad we would be if we were talking about something that is actually important.

This is like wrestling, we throw insults at each other and then tomorrow is another day.

 

Nothing to get upset about.

 

PS no animal was injured or harmed during the creation of this series.

post #87 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

It will be interesting to see what the reaction to this is. Times are changing, and I'm not sure if Apple can afford to take it easy anymore. 


I agree. I personnaly find this design wonderful. It's iOS that needs more work imo. Apple is known for its great innovative ideas in OS design, and they haven't changed iOS much in the last three years.

post #88 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by qualar View Post

Not referring to just this forum but forums in general.  Would people speak to people face to face in the way they do in forums.  Just a few examples from this thread that is actually a very mild thread and only 3 pages long.

 

1. It's astonishing just how completely stupid and uninformed that sounds.

 

2. Indeed. As seen above, they're pathetically rehashing LAST YEAR'S arguments

 

3. Not to mention brainless, witless, useless.......

 

4. wow! how ignorant can one be? you are using a 4 year old 3G and you think this is crap? please remove head from rectum and take a deep breath of fresh air.... try it, you'll like it....

 

I think it is sad that talking about tech can reduce us to insulting each other.  Just imagine how bad we would be if we were talking about something that is actually important.


I've come to accept this as being typical on AI, and moderators do nothing about it. Too bad. Most tech sites aren't this way though.

post #89 of 111

Thin enough, long enough, BUT not wide enough - and so the 4 inch screen is just not big enough in competition with other smartphones with screen sizes 4.5 inches and above.

post #90 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post
The special event is set take place on Sept. 12 at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern...

What about the people who live in the Mountain and Central time zones?

post #91 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

A millimetre is significant. Wait until you get one. The excitement will be in you hand.
And then when it goes into a bumper case ('cos aluminum scratches easily remember) you won't even notice the difference...
I will NEVER pay $679 for an 8GB plastic cell phone
Reply
I will NEVER pay $679 for an 8GB plastic cell phone
Reply
post #92 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillio View Post

What I don't know about it:
  • if they'll make the home button more reliable, so it does not stop working well after almost two years.

Is your phone less than 2 years old? I bought my iPhone 4 the day it came out so it's about 2.25 years old now. I have never gone a day without using that phone. I've dropped it, I've thrown it around, I've never had it cleaned. My Home Button less responsive but when I consider what my average number of presses per day is and multiply that by 805 days that tells me it's doing a pretty good job. I do wish it was better but that's a different issue altogether.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #93 of 111

I was slightly underwhelmed by the exterior design too and was hoping for something less incremental. Personally I've always liked the look (metal back, thinness) of the iPod Touch and was hoping that the iPhone would move in that direction. This would also be consistent with the design language of the iPad too. As other forum members have already pointed out, some symmetry and balance also appears to have been lost, especially if the back panel is two-tone. I guess l'll just have to wait and see how it looks and feels when I go to the store.

 

Having said all that, the level of competition in design terms is weak. Most phones are pretty drab affairs and look cheap too. The best alternative is probably the Nokia Lumia phones - clean and balanced exterior design (although perhaps a tad too thick), and you do get a choice of colour too.

 

It'd also be interesting to know how much the design has been compromised by a) hardware/manufacturing/robustness constraints, and b) the volume of work passing through the design department.

 

As for iOS, all these new features are certainly making it feel more and more congested. But that's progress :)

post #94 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's hard to tell but the first pic makes it look like the internal space height could be ever so slightly increased.
You can turn off 4G LTE if you want.

Don't some carriers make you pay for it even if you don't use it? I thought Verizon tacks on a $10/mo premium for all their LTE phones, even if you don't live or work in an LTE zone.
post #95 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Don't some carriers make you pay for it even if you don't use it? I thought Verizon tacks on a $10/mo premium for all their LTE phones, even if you don't live or work in an LTE zone.

I seem to recall Sprint doing that for WiMAX. I'm sure there are others but I don't know who they are and I wonder if LTE is common enough now in networks and devices that it would be like charging a premium for 3G over 2G.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #96 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by davestall View Post

 

Its so you will buy all new accessories.  The dozens of existing docks will block the new headphone jack; so you just go buy all new docs or a bunch of flimsy dongels.

 

Flimsy? If they're doing what I think they're doing, it won't be flimsy. See "structural" in my previous post.

post #97 of 111

Meh

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #98 of 111

Originally Posted by qualar View Post
Would people speak to people face to face in the way they do in forums.

 

2. Indeed. As seen above, they're pathetically rehashing LAST YEAR'S arguments

 

Yes. I would. With absolutely no expression on my face nor emotion in my voice. I would say that, not to incense, but to highlight just how wrong said act is, emphasizing it further through the very lack of visual or auditory emphasis. I mean not to devolve arguments, which is why using no expression and no emotion is the cleanest way to fight, and why text-based discussions are so pure. If text is written as simply text, any perceived emotion is just that, and is the fault of the reader if they misinterpret, misconstrue, or otherwise mistake.


Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post
Most tech sites aren't this way though.

 

Yeah, that's not a complete fabrication… 


Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
Is your phone less than 2 years old? I bought my iPhone 4 the day it came out so it's about 2.25 years old now. I have never gone a day without using that phone. I've dropped it, I've thrown it around, I've never had it cleaned.

 

Same here, but with the first gen. Though it isn't any less responsive (I keep my iPhone pocket empty always).

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #99 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by davestall View Post

Its so you will buy all new accessories. The dozens of existing docks will block the new headphone jack; so you just go buy all new docs or a bunch of flimsy dongels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

Flimsy? If they're doing what I think they're doing, it won't be flimsy. See "structural" in my previous post.

Have there been spy shots of the alleged dock adapter?
post #100 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

 

So, I guess the addition of a second noise cancelling microphone with the 4, was a total waste of time then?

I don't think it's a noise canceling issue.  I think that actual call sound quality hasn't improved.  I'll admit now that I'm not an expert in this field. It may be cell tower issues, it may be AT&T, it may be the antennas in the iPhone, it may even be a combination of all of them.  Regardless of what's actually causing it, I wish it would be addressed.  If we're able to stream radio and podcasts that sound crisp and undistorted, why can't we have phone calls that are crisp and undistorted?  And then to make matters worse, the sound quality deteriorates significantly more if the other person is also on a cell phone.  

 

Perhaps it's that we've all been using cell phones for a decade or two and we've become so used to the awful sound of conversations on them, that we simply don't expect them to improve.  I do expect them to improve though.  The Apps and all, are just fine.  I want calls that don't sound like they are on a cell phone.  The noise canceling features are a nice touch, but if the call itself sounds bad, it's like putting sprinkles on an already melted ice cream cone.  If I can be at home and receive a call on my landline and I can tell immediately that the other person is on a cellphone even if they are in a quiet room, that ought to tell you something.  The sound quality of actual phone calls is significantly lacking, and ought to be addressed.

Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Reply
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Reply
post #101 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

A millimetre is significant. Wait until you get one. The excitement will be in you hand.


You're joking, right?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

Part of the decreased thickness might be due to replacing the glass back with Al.

 

To answer skeptics who poo-poo what they perceive as incremental change in design, consider this - how much has the overall shape of the Porsche 911 (feel free to replace with your fav luxury sports car) changed overall? If you're observant, you'd have noticed subtle changes every few years representing advances in headlights, metal fabrication technique, etc. All the while, the engine improved much more dramatically but also imperceptibly to those not able to drive one.
 

The point is that when you have developed a classic design, you evolve it deliberately and not just for the sake of change.


A Car-Consumer Electronics comparison. No way it's a flawed analogy. No sir. 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

 

It's THAT, and everything else as a total package. 

 

The iPhone is just beautifully put together and it runs iOS. Everyone knows what that means. 

 

With strange RF windows that break the otherwise decent unibody design. And a OS with an interface that wasn't made for more than the stock 2007 apps and instead had additional function slapped to it as an afterthought.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

I get excited about it, in a bad way.  Keep that tiny mm and devote it entirely to battery!


Exactly.

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

Reply

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

Reply
post #102 of 111
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post
Have there been spy shots of the alleged dock adapter?

 

None yet that I've seen.


Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post
You're joking, right?

 

On something like an iMac, a millimeter is meaningless. On a phone that is 9mm thick to begin with, 1mm is significant. You can't not understand this. Not that I don't agree with you that it should've been given to battery… 

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #103 of 111
What has me puzzled is the front camera above the earpiece in the center. Does this add more unnecessary "stretch" to its already elongated taller screen design? Besides, if the design evolution is headed toward 3D, the eventual 3D design logically would place two front cameras (one on each side) on the same horizontal plane of the earpiece speaker.
post #104 of 111
Originally Posted by PeterAlt View Post
Does this add more unnecessary "stretch" to its already elongated taller screen design?

 

No.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #105 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

 

 

In keeping with the Porsche analogy, each version of the 911 has at least the same amount if not more gusto under the hood. So we can expect each iPhone to never regress in specs such as speed, battery life and camera.

The biggest difference here between the Porsche 911 and the iPhone...

 

Porsche knows when it has a good design and sticks with it, only making minor improvements, and that's it.

Apple tries to re-invent look of the iPhone every other generation.

 

Apple needs to take a queue from Porsche.  The Gen 1 iPhone was a brilliant design, Gen 2 & 3 were just about there...minus the wonderful aluminum chassis.  Why you squared everything off and replaced the durable metal with plastic (and worse yet) then glass is beyond me.

 

Let's quit this "thinness" pissing-contest you obviously are only playing against yourself and go back to form-follows-function.  It's a hand-held device, it needs more ergonomics!  Thinner doesn't make it any more comfortable to hold.

You know what I was thinking the next best evolution would be to make the phone more like the iPad Gen 1.   Agreed people need flat edges to take photos and what-nots, but give me the subtly curved back again, please.

post #106 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/09/goophone-apple-iphone/all/1
If anyone wants to see the Chinese version...

that's equally funny and annoying and aggravating all at the same time.

post #107 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

My fav luxury sports car. Change is good.

 

 

And 911 sales are tanking http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2012/01/cayenne-aside-are-porsche-sales-dropping.html

 

911 sales were allegedly "tanking" back in the 80's too.  Yet it's still around.

 

Actually, the analogy should have been between Apple and Ferrari.  They both are the company everyone wants to beat, and they constantly are trying to re-invent the industry.

 

I prefer the 911.  Classic good looks that keeps getting better.

post #108 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by lghulm View Post

I remember that the original iphone was described as a design that followed the "golden ratio" a ratio of measurements evident throughout nature and in which we can perceive a lot of natural beauty.

 

There is something about the new iphones design that just puts me off - it's not a conscious thought I can articulate, just a vague unease that the measurements seem out... perhaps because they have abandoned the golden ratio...

the golden ratio is roughly the mathematically expressed by "phi", which is 1.6180339887...or roughly 16:10.

 

So no, not even the screen of any of the past iPhones have been these proportions.


Edited by antkm1 - 9/7/12 at 12:02am
post #109 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterAlt View Post

What has me puzzled is the front camera above the earpiece in the center. Does this add more unnecessary "stretch" to its already elongated taller screen design? Besides, if the design evolution is headed toward 3D, the eventual 3D design logically would place two front cameras (one on each side) on the same horizontal plane of the earpiece speaker.

More importantly, when are people going to. . .

STOP recording video vertically!?

It's so annoying to watch cats farting on you tube with those black bars on the side!

In all seriousness, I think apple shoukd remove this option from the video OS.

It's fine for still pictures and face time, it has its purpose in those two applications. But for recording and watching video i see no reason for this sort or action. We adopted widescreen tvs for a reason.

And yes I Understand it's easier to record with one hand this way, but anyone who has done it always either regrets doing it when it's transferred to a computer or asks, "why does it look like that?"

You should have seen at the last BBQ I went to, people were drunk trying to hit a piñata. I made sure to film it horozontally and now we have a hilarious video of drunk girls in bikinis falling in bushes . . All in the proper aspect ratio.
1biggrin.gif
Everyone else shot vertically.
post #110 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Have there been spy shots of the alleged dock adapter?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

None yet that I've seen.

So we don't really know if it exists. I hope so, but I won't count on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanJobs View Post

More importantly, when are people going to. . .
STOP recording video vertically!?
It's so annoying to watch cats farting on you tube with those black bars on the side!
In all seriousness, I think apple shoukd remove this option from the video OS.
It's fine for still pictures and face time, it has its purpose in those two applications. But for recording and watching video i see no reason for this sort or action. We adopted widescreen tvs for a reason.
And yes I Understand it's easier to record with one hand this way, but anyone who has done it always either regrets doing it when it's transferred to a computer or asks, "why does it look like that?"

You should have seen at the last BBQ I went to, people were drunk trying to hit a piñata. I made sure to film it horozontally and now we have a hilarious video of drunk girls in bikinis falling in bushes . . All in the proper aspect ratio.
1biggrin.gif
Everyone else shot vertically.

I don't get it either. But removing it from the OS would mean the footage will be displayed rotated. I suppose that should help train users to not do it again. And they might be less inclined to post it, so I guess that is a good suggestion.
post #111 of 111
I think the 4S design looked better... 1frown.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › New photos of alleged next-gen iPhone show off 'uni-body' design's thinness