or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Buying an unlocked iPhone 5 from Apple: What can I do out of the box?

Buying an unlocked iPhone 5 from Apple: What can I do out of the box?

post #1 of 3

I plan on buying an unlocked iPhone 5 from Apple once released. My question is, can I stall on getting service right away (I have a reason) and just use it as a wifi device from the get go? Yes, it will be a very expensive iPod Touch for a while. All I want to know is, will I be able to take this unlocked phone out of the box, turn it on, and log into my Apple account and start using it as I would an iPod Touch?

I talked to some young girl at AT&T that practically refused to let me talk to a technician and kept calling it an 'opal'. She said I could simply turn it on and start using it as a wifi device without needing an unlock code from AT&T. I felt though that I couldn't rest my laurels on her claims, so I'm asking people here that have more experience (I've never owned an iPhone, still using my N1). I also don't know much about the cell phone world in general or how things work. I also assume I need to buy a GSM version if I plan on using it with AT&T or, in the future, possibly T-Mobile. thanks ahead for input

post #2 of 3

No it is not unlocked right out of the box. Apple will not be selling an unlocked iPhone 5 on its first run, I think it took them a month or so to sell the iPhone 4S unlocked after its release. The lady at AT&T is also wrong for what she stated, they are notorious for doing that and are there to make commission; don't believe her, if you turn on your phone it will be locked to AT&T. I would suggest going to the Apple store or searching their website for the full story on unlocked iPhones.

post #3 of 3
Originally Posted by mobile127 View Post
No it is not unlocked right out of the box.

He wants to buy an unlocked version. Yes, it is.

Apple will not be selling an unlocked iPhone 5 on its first run…

He doesn't care. He knows that. He's buying an unlocked version.

The lady at AT&T is also wrong for what she stated, they are notorious for doing that and are there to make commission; don't believe her, if you turn on your phone it will be locked to AT&T.

Completely wrong. The girl was correct. Buying an unlocked iPhone allows the use of all functions of the device before phone activation sans phone and cellular data.

I would suggest going to the Apple store or searching their website for the full story on unlocked iPhones.

So would I.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Buying an unlocked iPhone 5 from Apple: What can I do out of the box?