or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › High-quality images claim to show 'iPad mini' housing in detail

High-quality images claim to show 'iPad mini' housing in detail

post #1 of 39
New photos claiming to show the machined aluminum back casing bound for a rumored 7.85-inch iPad hit the web on Wednesday, adding to the mountain of purported leaks relating to Apple's fall iDevice lineup.

While the pictures from Chinese website digi.163 (via nowhereelse.fr) appear to match previous images of the so-called "iPad mini," closer inspection of the part reveals slight discrepancies regarding the rumored tablet's design.

Perhaps most obvious is the placement of the headphone jack, which was thought to be located at the bottom of the device alongside the device's dock connector and repositioned speakers. Pictures of a large flex cable allegedly meant for the smaller iPad surfaced last month, clearly showing the 3.5mm jack situated adjacent to the new 9-pin connector.

iPad mini Housing
Source: digi.163

Interestingly, recent images of alleged iPad mini cases corroborate the top-mounted headphone jack design. Those same photos also showed an opening for a rear-facing camera and a mysterious small hole, the use of which is not yet known.

iPad mini Housing

Also seen in the fresh photos are cut-outs for the unit's volume and power button, a rear-facing camera, speaker assembly and a smaller dock connector.

iPad mini Housing

There are a number of possibilities as to why Wednesday's photos don't line up with the previous flex cable images, including a redesign or the illegitimacy of one of the supposedly leaked parts.

iPad mini Housing

Apple is rumored to be launching the 7.85-inch iPad in October, with the device expected to be as thin as the iPod touch while retaining some of the media player's design assets like thinner bezels.
post #2 of 39

A very nice unibody with dock connector and speaker grills that sure look like an Apple product.

time will tell...

post #3 of 39

The iPad mini is looking more and more like a reality!

post #4 of 39
Will Tim Cook ever going to do anything about all this leaks? Is this the new Apple mandate, let everyone in on whatever new products they're working on? It seems to me they're having major security issues.
post #5 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by tania View Post

Will Tim Cook ever going to do anything about all this leaks? Is this the new Apple mandate, let everyone in on whatever new products they're working on? It seems to me they're having major security issues.

... and?
post #6 of 39
Quote:

The stockholders sure are happy about the leaks. All time high after all time high.
post #7 of 39
Shaped like an iPod Touch with smaller side bezels would not a good idea IMO. It could have uniform bezels and the same screen aspect ratio as the iPhone/Ipod but they'd have to change the 10" iPad to the same screen aspect next year. I actually think that would be ok as the 1.5 aspect is fine in portrait. A4 paper is pretty much half way between the 4:3 aspect of the iPad and 3:2 aspect of the iPod so either direction is fine really and obviously 1.5 works better for movies.

post #8 of 39

Anyone else think that this looks more molded than machined?  Hoping to see some Liquid Metal here.  It's resilience would be good for a product that is so conveinent to carry / give to kids.

Working and Playing in Steamboat, CO. A recovering former HP guy that is thinking of going over to the Mac side ...
Working and Playing in Steamboat, CO. A recovering former HP guy that is thinking of going over to the Mac side ...
post #9 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboat View Post

Anyone else think that this looks more molded than machined?  Hoping to see some Liquid Metal here.  It's resilience would be good for a product that is so conveinent to carry / give to kids.

i had the same thought, but i checked iFixit's iPad teardown. it looks like they used the same process. 

post #10 of 39
This doesn't look tapered like the current iPad. I wonder what the thickness is compared to the current iPad.
post #11 of 39

Notice the bottom left corner of the first photo.

Doesn't it seem to just keep going and going?

I realize it may just be an odd angle, but...

Something seems terribly wrong there.

Quote:

Look at the third and fourth photos.

You can't get those kinds of recess and protrusion features from a mold.

Besides, you can see the milling lines along the interior flats on the second photo.

post #12 of 39

This is either a fake or an early prototype. There are no mounting screw holes. Compare to this image of an iPad 3 back plate:

post #13 of 39

Why is it all this leaks comes from China website? Hahahaha..........I thought the process would be at Apple California itself?

I like the best part there is that IBM Thinkpad behind the photo......

I am guessing the new iPad mini would be much slimmer than this one. It would be somewhere around the size of Samsung Tab 7.7.

Can't wait for this to be out..........much lighter and smaller.......

post #14 of 39

The headphone on the bottom never made any sense. The ipad sits upright on your desk, a headphone connection on the bottom would make that impossible. The iPhone is more often held in the hand or sideways, so doesn't present that problem.

The truth will set you free.
The truth will set you free.
post #15 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by montefuego View Post

The headphone on the bottom never made any sense. The ipad sits upright on your desk, a headphone connection on the bottom would make that impossible. The iPhone is more often held in the hand or sideways, so doesn't present that problem.

I agree.  I'm looking forward to the headphone jack placement on the new iPhone.  :D

post #16 of 39
This looks well crafted but the thickness seems unwieldily for what I assume would be a requirement for a small Apple tablet. I'm expecting something that is magcally light which would follow something magically thin. Basically an iPod Touch looking iPad.

Quote:

Who says he hasn't "doubled down"?

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #17 of 39

I am having a hard time believing it. That first photo just does not look like a logical progression in design. It really looks like a move backward. I guess we will see.

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

post #18 of 39

Tripled down on secrecy this time!

Seriously, there has never been a year were apples products have been so thoroughly dissected BEFORE they were released. Gizmodo was nothing compared to this year.

post #19 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarcoot View Post

Tripled down on secrecy this time!

Seriously, there has never been a year were apples products have been so thoroughly dissected BEFORE they were released. Gizmodo was nothing compared to this year.

This has been showing not to be true on many occasions. In previous years we've even photos of the chips with the shields removed and we haven't any of that this year except for one with no markings.

post #20 of 39

These leaks are coming from a Chinese website because these things are already being manufactured over in China. They are expected to be announced in October and will probably be ready for shipment by late October. These aren't pictures of the design phase. All of that takes place in Cupertino in Ives studio and no doubt this thing has existed in the walls of Apple for years. As we saw with the original iPad during the samsung trial was protoyped for years before it was released.

To those questioning Tim Cook not keeping a lid on these products I would bet to say that if Jobs were still alive I doubt he could squash all of these leaks. Apple is the most profitable company ever, and anything that happens with potential new products everyone knows is going to be huge news and generate a ton of traffic to a site.

post #21 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Mao View Post

Why is it all this leaks comes from China website? Hahahaha..........I thought the process would be at Apple California itself?

Leaks comes from manufacturing plants where millions of parts are being made.  Apple employees usually dont want to leak and dont have access to large volume of spare parts.

post #22 of 39

Isn't this the exact same part as was shown in late july early august?  

here

Edit: And by that I mean this is actually not new information, comes *previous* to the recent much more believable looking parts leaks, and therefore seems more likely to be an early prototype rather than the final deal.
Edited by Gazoobee - 9/6/12 at 6:30am
post #23 of 39

The logo isn't inlayed through the back, it looks like it may be a decal applied, not very apple-esque.  The lack of mounting holes isn't necessarily a sign it's a fake, apple could be building a subassembly that mounts to the holes on the outer perimeter.  I do think the logo is a dead ringer for a fake though...

post #24 of 39

Whether they're real or not, the interesting stuff is unknown:

- Is it retina?

- What's the battery life

- How fast will it be compared to iPad 2 and Retina iPad

- How good is the camera

- Will it have an LTE version?

and...

- How much will it cost

So the leaks really don't tell you anything at all.

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

post #25 of 39

font looks wrong.

post #26 of 39

If the rumor is true, I'd definitely buy one.  The iPad is great, but it gets a little heavy during long sessions.  With a retina display, legibility would not be an issue for me.

post #27 of 39
Quote:

Look at it this way. Leaks about Apple products are just like product announcements from the other companies. They give some indication that a new product is coming. The media is not allowed to touch it. The details are sketchy. No pricing information is revealed. And everyone is still in the dark when the product will actually be made available for sale.

As examples, I give you the Microsoft Surface, Blackberry 10, and Nokia Lumia handsets.

post #28 of 39

We all know that Apple go through multiple prototypes when designing a product and sometimes pull a product at very last stages of development just because they decide they don't think it is good enough. 

One question though - if the iPad mini was released next month with the new dock connector, the iPad 3 would still have the older version.  The same could be said for the iPhone 5 coming out and Apple still selling the 4 and 4S.  However that wouldn't seem so bad since the 5 is replacing the existing products where as the mini is in addition to the current iPad.

post #29 of 39
Quote:

It does have a moulded 'look,' but it's fairly obviously machined.  Also, this much liquid metal would make the iPad minis cost about five thousand dollars each. 

Personally I'm not liking the look of this at all.  My first instinctive thought when I see this thing is ... "that's not pretty" and you can rarely say that about Apple products.  I prefer for the moment to believe in the more recent parts leaks, especially this part, which looks more believable to me and is incompatible with this backpiece.  

I also question whether aluminium is even a good fit for an iPad mini.  This particular piece has a more rounded, moulded form as you point out and therefore is difficult and more time consuming to produce and seems to leave an awful lot of metal behind.  This thing looks like it has more metal in it and might actually be heavier than the original iPad aluminium.  I'd prefer something very similar to this, but using a 'unibody' plastic process.  

Edited by Gazoobee - 9/6/12 at 8:03am
post #30 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutus009 
Notice the bottom left corner of the first photo.
Doesn't it seem to just keep going and going?
I realize it may just be an odd angle, but...
Something seems terribly wrong there.

The Apple logo would also show on the other side as it's used for getting the wifi signal out so the logo and text are Photoshopped on (quite badly too). I think you're right about the first photo.
post #31 of 39

I'm surprised AI didn't include all the "via's": digi.163 via nowhereelse.fr via cnn.com via macrumors.com via ************ via cultofmac.com via digitimes via Al Gore. /s

In all seriousness, the images don't look right to be real. The lack of mounting points on the back casing itself is a dead giveaway. Someone mentioned Apple using a substructure within the case? Yeah, that makes sense, lets make the device thicker and heavier for no reason. I might believe that the logic board assembly will be attached to the back of the display itself, but that seems unlikely. Another issue: the speaker grills. Not because they look like the leaked iPhone grills, but because there are two of them! So the smaller iPad will have two speakers but the larger iPad (with more wiggle room for components) only has one... it doesn't make since. And there's no reason to put a microphone at the bottom of an iPad like there is for the iPhone. So why are there two speaker openings? Finally, the sides are constructed in a way that would make the device feel pretty thick. Apple has been focused on tampering the edges of the iPad (and the MacBook Air) to make it feel thinner in the hand than it actually is.

Regardless, this design doesn't resemble any of the previous iPad designs. But then again, Apple has surprised before and I could be entirely wrong.

When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
post #32 of 39

Anyone else notice that QR code?

Wish the image was higher res.

You Can Say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one

------- John Lennon
You Can Say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one

------- John Lennon
post #33 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

A very nice unibody with dock connector and speaker grills that sure look like an Apple product.

time will tell...
Speakers?

Stereo?

About time!

(or is it a mic for Siri?)
post #34 of 39
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
Who says he hasn't "doubled down"?

Well, to know he has doubled down, we need to hear that one of Apple's suppliers, KFC, has informed its other customers that shipments of chicken, bacon, and cheese will be a little late… 

Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
- Is it retina?

- What's the battery life

- How fast will it be compared to iPad 2 and Retina iPad

- How good is the camera

- Will it have an LTE version?

- How much will it cost

So the leaks really don't tell you anything at all.

- Probably not

- Less

- Slower

- Worse

- Maybe

- Not appreciably less than the iPad 2 will cost next year.

Originally Posted by DogGone View Post

One question though - if the iPad mini was released next month with the new dock connector, the iPad 3 would still have the older version.  The same could be said for the iPhone 5 coming out and Apple still selling the 4 and 4S.

Big deal. Apple has sold Macs with Thunderbolt for two years and USB 3 for a few months. 

In that time they've refused to update the Mac Pro to have these new technologies. They're perfectly fine with selling an entire line of computers with completely different features and ports. They often don't have their modern (meaning whatever they're selling at the time) hardware match up all hardware features across the entire line. The Mac Pro doesn't even have Bluetooth 4 yet. 

post #35 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by focher View Post

Look at it this way. Leaks about Apple products are just like product announcements from the other companies. They give some indication that a new product is coming. The media is not allowed to touch it. The details are sketchy. No pricing information is revealed. And everyone is still in the dark when the product will actually be made available for sale.

As examples, I give you the Microsoft Surface, Blackberry 10, and Nokia Lumia handsets.

LOL...so true.  If Blackberry shareholders are lucky the blackberry 10 will never be released.  Blackberry needs to sell itself before its current management wastes all the remaining capital it has.

post #36 of 39

Seems pretty thick for an iPad mini. I would think Apple would be aiming for iPod touch thinness. This looks thicker than an iPhone 5.  Also, the first photo looks wierd - like the logo & ports aren't centered on the iPad case.

post #37 of 39

my guess, the shape is about right...looks very similar to the first Gen iPhone profile, but the speaker holes are way too big and too far spaced.  Compare to the current iPad's almost microscopic holes, I'd say this is a fake, but a very good fake, or an early prototype such that they didn't have to put so much effort on fit and finish.

post #38 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

... and?

It kills the WOW factor and I'm not talking about Darrell Sheets from Storage Wars
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #39 of 39
Originally Posted by Unicron View Post
Seems pretty thick for an iPad mini. I would think Apple would be aiming for iPod touch thinness. This looks thicker than an iPhone 5.  Also, the first photo looks wierd - like the logo & ports aren't centered on the iPad case.

That's because the parts are completely fake. The Apple logo is cut out on a real iPad. Those are just stickers or photoshop.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › High-quality images claim to show 'iPad mini' housing in detail