or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › New pics of Apple's 'iPhone 5' mystery part reaffirm no NFC chip

New pics of Apple's 'iPhone 5' mystery part reaffirm no NFC chip - Page 2

post #41 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverpraxis View Post

Let's look at the facts:

iPhone 4S 115.2 x 58.6 x 9.3mm

RAZR M 122.2 x 60.9 x 8.3mm

iPhone 5 124.5 x 58.6 x 7.6mm*

*measurements of leaked parts

The RAZR M is in fact larger than the iPhone 4S by about the same amount as the leaked iPhone parts. Where the M is wider, the iPhone is longer, and that's negating the highly unreliable thickness of the assmbled leaked parts of the next iPhone. So your statements are debunked. And on top of that the M only has a resolution of 960x540, where the current 4S and LAST GEN iPhone 4 have 960x640, and the next iPhone will have an even "longer" resolution of 1136x640.

If I were you, I'd be asking how come Motorola can't fit over 200,000 more pixels into the same space as Apple's next iPhone can.

Re-read what I wrote. I wrote "much larger". I readily concede that the RAZR M is larger--7mm taller and 2mm wider. I would GLADLY add the extra size to get 20mm in screen size.

I'm not nearly as concerned with 200,000 pixels (over a 7,441 sq/mm surface) as I am the _actual size_ of the display. The extra pixels don't do any good, if they're not displaying additional information. An extra row of icons or extra width of a web page when viewed in landscape mode doesn't really buy much, IMO. A screen larger on both axes would allow for a bigger keyboard and less scrolling when viewing web pages in landscape mode. Or possibly even a bigger font for those who don't see as well.

post #42 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I think you are not seeing how much more useful a taller screen will be.

I'm not seeing it either.

post #43 of 81
Quote:

The energy loss during wireless energy transfer is pretty high if I remember correctly, and it is in no way like wifi. Anyone with a compatible receiving device could draw power from your "base station", because how can you password protect magnetic resonnance? There's already a ton of people stealing unprotected wifi networks, imagine if all wifi was unprotected. Have fun paying for the electricity to charge everyone's phone in your apt building.

You are totally right. However, I understand that magnetic resonance could allow a reasonable energy loss, and I'm sure that trough chip communication it could be possible to secure the energy supply by pairing the device with base station. Respect to your comment, I would say that the guy who let his wifi network unprotected, is as guilty as the one who steel the connection. If I leave a gas tank wide open in my garden, and you walk near it with a cigarette in a warm day, generating fire ignition, will you be the responsible of the fire, or will it be me for having my tank unsecure ?

Well, it might be not for that device generation, but you should agree that in the wifi / bluetooth / RFID century, travelling everywhere with a wired energy charger (and a lot of adapters in my case) is something of the past yet, and wireless electricity should be the correct technology for next years, much before getting batteries that last 1 month instead of 1 day.

post #44 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoloszynski View Post

Could apple be intending to use BT4.0 as the comms path to the terminal instead of NFC?  

Absolutely! Apple seems poised to utilize Bluetooth 4.0 as their mobile payment solution rather than NFC:

1. Apple generates revenue from sales of hardware, in fact, hardware sales comprise approximately 92% of Apple net sales. Apple will almost certainly use their mobile payment solution as a means to generate more hardware sales rather than compete against competitors and merchants who want a percentage of sales. Thus, Bluetooth would integrate immediately with existing Apple products (many used by merchants using Apple products as a point-of-sale presence) while competitors scramble to compete.
  2. Apple filed several patents apparently related to the new Passbook feature (the so-called "iTravel" and "iWallet" patents) beginning in 2008 which demonstrates that Apple has been considering this problem for an extended period of time and likely has a mature solution.
  3. Apple joined the board of directors of Bluetooth Special Interest Group in 2011.
  4. Apple included Bluetooth 4.0 in both the new iPad and iPhone 4S. Apple is known to test new features in small volumes or ship products with features deactivated until they are confident with the feature.
  5. Despite comments to the contrary, Bluetooth 4.0 has more than sufficient features to a support mobile payment solution, including: Elliptic Curve Diffie Hellman (ECDH) public key exchange (protects against passive eavesdropping) with numerical comparison (with 95 bits of entropy using the P192 elliptic curve using 16 decimal digit numbers (2(53) providing low probability of success) or passkey entry (with 6 digits) (protects against Man-in-the-Middle attacks). Furthermore, Bluetooth may use AES-CCM encryption. Fingerprint sensor authentication would provide strong two-factor authentication for Bluetooth Short Range Financial Transactions.
  6. Another consideration is the rollout of new security measures for iTunes earlier this year.
  7. Interestingly, Apple made a bid for mobile and network security provider AuthenTec. Apple previously paid $20 million for the "right to acquire non-exclusive licenses and certain other rights with respect to hardware technology, software technology and patents of the Company" including "commercialization of 2D fingerprint sensors for use in or with Apple products," with an option to extend the licensing agreement perpetually for $115 million. Apple also spent $7.5 million for AuthenTec to "perform certain non-recurring engineering services."
  8. Notably, no NFC component manufacturer has announced or speculated (in quarterly reports) about a large, new contract this year.
  9. Despite numerous rumors regarding the iPhone 5, no mention of a marquee feature for the iPhone 5 has been made. A functional mobile payment solution would certainly be a marquee feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

I agree. Almost every new phone these days has NFC, almost every day I read news about NFC alliances between banks and telecoms starting to deploy NFC in different countries. Apple is missing this train and I'm not gone stand waiting for them. When I bought my iPhone 4 two yeas ago I thought that I will buy every year the most advance mobile computer on the planet, the spearhead of technology, the device of the future! Instead it appears I bought a device from a company whose sole preoccupation is how to sell the phone at a price as high as they can and to upgrade it as little as they can, and trying to convince people that it is "magic". Now, I'm sorry that I have invested a lot in all kind of apps. But it's never too late to leave this boat! Lumia 920 will probably be my next phone if the iPhone 5 will be as "advanced" as it appears to be!

I have never seen anyone in the United States pay using NFC on their smartphone despite formerly living in Silicon Valley. A late-to-the-party but functional version of a mobile payment solution is much more likely from Apple. I have a considerable number of family and friends who reside near Tokyo, Japan and not one of them has ever used NFC on their phones (except for some train terminals). The rumors of NFC ubiquity in Japan are vastly overstated.

1.5 GHz dual-core Qualcomm Scorpion with 1 GB RAM
Qualcomm Adreno 220
8 MP rear camera
216 ppi display

1.5 GHz dual-core Krait with 2 GB RAM
Qualcomm Adreno 225
8 MP rear camera
306 ppi display

The preceding specifications are for the Samsung Galaxy S II and Samsung Galaxy S 3. The difference in specifications is barely noticeable other than the display which wasn't improved until nearly one year after Apple released the iPhone 4. This is the state of technology. There won't be any massive upgrades until manufacturers are ready to deploy ARM Cortex A-15 processors, PowerVR SEries 6 (Rogue) graphics processors, 802.11ac and LTE Advanced baseband processors.

Apple is almost certain to be one of the first to sell smartphones designed with the ARM Cortex A9 architecture using a 28nm or 32 nm process which will dramatically improve efficiency and performance.
Apple is almost certain to be one of the first to sell smartphones with the third generation Qualcomm MDM9615 baseband processor built using a 28 nm process which improves efficiency and performance.
Apple uses mature technologies once Apple has considered the actual real-world use of technologies and can leverage technology to provide an advantage not only for Apple but for Apple consumers.

NFC offers few, if any, real advantages to consumers at this time.
post #45 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maon View Post

I dont know why people think the NFC chip is supposedly some massive piece of machinery. It's a small chip such as those made by NXP. The antenna for the NFC chip can be discretely hidden anywhere in the phone. But I would say the NFC issue is not what should be concerning.

The mystery component shouldn't be taken lightly. Consider that Apple rejigged the top section of the phone to fit this component in. They moved the headphone jack to the bottom, they shifted the front-camera to the top and moved the light and proximity sensors to exactly where this component is.

Something is there that is integral to the phone's new features, I'm sure of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoloG View Post

I totally agree with Maon. There must be something new, different, with that part. And I insist, can't it has something to deal with battery charging ? Can you imagine how incredible would it be that your iphone get self-charged connecting to an energy network same way as a wi-fi network ? An Airport spot that would deliver internet as well as energy, just have to be in the range ?
I'm not a dreamer, nor writing in Star Wars forum, Fujitsu get this technology already developped, using magnetic resonnance.

AuthenTec AES 2750 "Smart Sensor"?
post #46 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post

Re-read what I wrote. I wrote "much larger". I readily concede that the RAZR M is larger--7mm taller and 2mm wider. I would GLADLY add the extra size to get 20mm in screen size.

I'm not nearly as concerned with 200,000 pixels (over a 7,441 sq/mm surface) as I am the _actual size_ of the display. The extra pixels don't do any good, if they're not displaying additional information. An extra row of icons or extra width of a web page when viewed in landscape mode doesn't really buy much, IMO. A screen larger on both axes would allow for a bigger keyboard and less scrolling when viewing web pages in landscape mode. Or possibly even a bigger font for those who don't see as well.

I could argue your point backwards. A larger display with the same resolution isn't displaying ANY additional information. The information displayed is just larger! You get no additional webpage/photo/video real estate on screen.

Higher resolution, on the other hand, does display more information. Yes it's smaller in size, but it's more information on the screen: more of a photo, more of a webpage, more of a video. But it's smaller, which makes pixelation less prominent and the image and text sharper.

And why are you even arguing about which axis to lengthen? The RAZR M, along with most other large-screened smart phones are 16:9, in other words TALLER than the current iPhone 4S with it's 3:2 ratio. The next gen iPhone is simply going to the same aspect ratio as the phone you're touting as better because it's "wider".

Your real issue is Apple isn't making the screen .3 inches larger with a worse resolution.

When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
post #47 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoloG View Post

There must be something new, different, with that part.

"Spring Surprise" like in the Monty Python crunchy frog skit?

post #48 of 81
Quote:

This is erroneous. A larger screen doesn't display more information, a larger screen simply displays the same elements in a larger format.

There is a reason that digital mammograms are required to be diagnosed using 5 megapixel displays rather than 3 megapixel displays. A higher quality display simply demonstrates more anatomy (and potentially) pathology. I absolutely, positively don't want a physician reviewing my medical images (CT, MR, "x-rays" (radiographs) on a POS "PenTile" display.
Quote:

I could argue your point backwards. A larger display with the same resolution isn't displaying ANY additional information. The information displayed is just larger! You get no additional webpage/photo/video real estate on screen.

Higher resolution, on the other hand, does display more information. Yes it's smaller in size, but it's more information on the screen: more of a photo, more of a webpage, more of a video. But it's smaller, which makes pixelation less prominent and the image and text sharper.

And why are you even arguing about which axis to lengthen? The RAZR M, along with most other large-screened smart phones are 16:9, in other words TALLER than the current iPhone 4S with it's 3:2 ratio. The next gen iPhone is simply going to the same aspect ratio as the phone you're touting as better because it's "wider".

Your real issue is Apple isn't making the screen .3 inches larger with a worse resolution.

Exactly. A larger display doesn't necessarily equate to improved quality. In fact, in this instance a larger display specifically equates to a lower quality display. I can't imagine why anyone would complain. Apple appears to be poised to offer a larger screen for which many have expressed a desire with the best consumer display technology available today.
Edited by MacBook Pro - 9/6/12 at 11:12am
post #49 of 81

Some of the wealthy chinese guys at school had freaky pimp pinky fingernails like that.  It seriously grossed me out and I would try and bring it up in conversation with them and they would refuse to talk about it.

Gagging on lulz.

Long FB, AMZN
Schlong AAPL

Long FB, AMZN
Schlong AAPL

post #50 of 81
Quote:

I agree. Almost every new phone these days has NFC, almost every day I read news about NFC alliances between banks and telecoms starting to deploy NFC in different countries. Apple is missing this train and I'm not gone stand waiting for them. When I bought my iPhone 4 two yeas ago I thought that I will buy every year the most advance mobile computer on the planet, the spearhead of technology, the device of the future! Instead it appears I bought a device from a company whose sole preoccupation is how to sell the phone at a price as high as they can and to upgrade it as little as they can, and trying to convince people that it is "magic". Now, I'm sorry that I have invested a lot in all kind of apps. But it's never too late to leave this boat! Lumia 920 will probably be my next phone if the iPhone 5 will be as "advanced" as it appears to be!

The horror of having inferior hardware in your pocket!

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #51 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorOO7 View Post

If Apple can deliver an alternative solution that drives business to provide mobile payment solutions via the Passport Wallet they are putting out in iOS6 then so be it.  NFC in the US is over hyped and has not gained real traction.  There are too many competing standards and everyone wants a cut from it. Something that would be consistent across all platforms and retailers is whats needed but US carriers and financial institutions won't play nice.

They do, check the Apple Store App.

You can walk into an Apple store, buy anything you want, all from your phone.

No RFID, no need to buy a new phone for this..

If RFID was hacked there would be a new generation of pickpockets walking through crowds, tapping into the chips.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #52 of 81
Quote:

I don't use an iPhone...

There, fixed that for you.

post #53 of 81
Mystery iPhone 5 chip Is AuthenTec sensor

Comparing the pictures of the AuthenTec sensors and the mystery iPhone 5 chip, we have an exact match. Not only do we find the two square chips matching, but also we have matching rectangular silver sensor parts with black printed scan code.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/08/16/authentec_smart_sensor_appears_key_to_apples_urgent_acquisition.html

Scroll down half-way to see the picture of the Fujitsu Regza. In the center, you can see the AuthenTec sensor. It is the same shape and size of the square iPhone 5 mystery chip. To the right, you can see a related silver rectangular part. Compare this silver part with the silver part with the black print scanner code on it and you have an exact match. Zoom in on the silver part shown in the Regza picture and you can even make out that the same black ink scanner code of the silver part shown in the leaked iPhone 5 part is clearly printed.

The timing of Apple's acquisition of AuthenTec is no coincidence, if my theory holds true.
post #54 of 81

My opinion, though I admit it might be a long shot, is that the display will be 3D in some way. There are quite a few clues leading to this:

The invitation seems like a bento-box. The shadow may imply depth (an Apple patent does make reference to finger shadows in 3D displays). The caption "It's almost here" is kinda like saying "It's almost real".

The new maps app has 3D maps.

For a proper 3D display, the front-camera and proximity and light sensors are integral, thus the new component at the top.

post #55 of 81
Quote:

Don't forget that much of the A5 real estate is still secret and unaccounted for. The use of these still-secret circuits could be anything, including NFC. The iPhone 5 may be centered on the next-gen A6 chip, which is likely to have even more real estate filled with mysterious secret unaccounted for circuitry. So, if the A5 doesn't already have NFC hardware secretly included (waiting for a future iOS version to unlock it), the A6 could very well have it.
post #56 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterAlt View Post

Mystery iPhone 5 chip Is AuthenTec sensor
Comparing the pictures of the AuthenTec sensors and the mystery iPhone 5 chip, we have an exact match. Not only do we find the two square chips matching, but also we have matching rectangular silver sensor parts with black printed scan code.
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/08/16/authentec_smart_sensor_appears_key_to_apples_urgent_acquisition.html
Scroll down half-way to see the picture of the Fujitsu Regza. In the center, you can see the AuthenTec sensor. It is the same shape and size of the square iPhone 5 mystery chip. To the right, you can see a related silver rectangular part. Compare this silver part with the silver part with the black print scanner code on it and you have an exact match. Zoom in on the silver part shown in the Regza picture and you can even make out that the same black ink scanner code of the silver part shown in the leaked iPhone 5 part is clearly printed.
The timing of Apple's acquisition of AuthenTec is no coincidence, if my theory holds true.

Very good theory, I like your thinking.

post #57 of 81
Quote:

Don't forget that much of the A5 real estate is still secret and unaccounted for. The use of these still-secret circuits could be anything, including NFC. The iPhone 5 may be centered on the next-gen A6 chip, which is likely to have even more real estate filled with mysterious secret unaccounted for circuitry. So, if the A5 doesn't already have NFC hardware secretly included (waiting for a future iOS version to unlock it), the A6 could very well have it.

Is this new kind of trolling? People came to AI to make first posts claiming non-existing features (NFC, 3D) to raise our expectation and make us pissed off after release?

There will be no NFC! Period. This has been confirmed by the source that was not mistaken once (http://www.loopinsight.com/2012/08/28/nfc-on-the-new-iphone/ ) so stop BSing here.

post #58 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maon View Post

My opinion, though I admit it might be a long shot, is that the display will be 3D in some way. There are quite a few clues leading to this:

The invitation seems like a bento-box. The shadow may imply depth (an Apple patent does make reference to finger shadows in 3D displays). The caption "It's almost here" is kinda like saying "It's almost real".

The new maps app has 3D maps.

For a proper 3D display, the front-camera and proximity and light sensors are integral, thus the new component at the top.

I think your theory is a bit reaching. Apple *will* have 3D some day, but it won't have it in the iPhone 5. Since 3D is the eventual evolution, it is not out of the question to make small design changes steering in that direction. To have 3D, there must be two cameras side by side. The leaked parts do not show this.

Apple has filed some interesting patents in recent years for a 3D smartphone display, 3D camera technology that adds a new sensor to accurately record depth metadata, a 3D UI for iOS, and many others. In addition to 3D, Apple also filed patents relating to new technologies to be incorporated into the display, including transparent solar cells to make the screen less dependent on the unit's batteries for power and something called eInk Hybrid that optionally mimicks the Kindle screen on part or all of the iPhone screen. Both these technologies requires integration into the display as part of the design process. While the part for the display is likely being designed for the iPhone 5, I don't think these two technologies have been incorporated into it this time around. However, the mere fact that the display part will be introduced in totally redesigned and reengineered form, is telling by itself that Apple can make major design changes for major component parts on a whim whenever it wants to. Therefore, it is not a stretch that they will do this again and include more of its patented new features, including 3D.
post #59 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Is this new kind of trolling? People came to AI to make first posts claiming non-existing features (NFC, 3D) to raise our expectation and make us pissed off after release?

There will be no NFC! Period. This has been confirmed by the source that was not mistaken once (http://www.loopinsight.com/2012/08/28/nfc-on-the-new-iphone/ ) so stop BSing here.

I won't believe it will or will not happen until I hear it from Apple officially. The above is just mere speculation on my part, explaining why you shouldn't rule it out. I just find it odd that Apple would include a wallet-like feature in iOS 6 and not NFC. Also, they've been investing in NFC technologies and related companies over recent years, so NFC *is* coming... some day. Possibily not so soon, but why introduce a wallet-like app so soon ahead of NFC?
post #60 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

This is a forum. What on earth would trolling accomplish? Valid and substantiated suggestions should be welcomed. It broadens the discussion.
post #61 of 81

I think the new iPhone will sell well and Apple will add features available to Android phones or similar features over time with iOS 7. Till then you'll have to wait for the jailbreak community to do things for it, and surely Apple listens to their jailbreak community now because the Pull to refresh feature found in today's mail app was available in iOS 3.1.3 with a jailbreak. So as long as you jailbreak it, you'll have a phone that's ahead of every other phone based on what you learn to make it do. 

post #62 of 81

Well thank God!  Keep NFC/RFID SpyChips OUT OF MY DEVICES!

see the documentary movie free:

http://freedomtofascism.com

read the book:

http://spychips.com

post #63 of 81
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post
Well thank God!  Keep NFC/RFID SpyChips OUT OF MY DEVICES!

But you're fine with GPS.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #64 of 81
Quote:

I won't believe it will or will not happen until I hear it from Apple officially. The above is just mere speculation on my part, explaining why you shouldn't rule it out. I just find it odd that Apple would include a wallet-like feature in iOS 6 and not NFC. Also, they've been investing in NFC technologies and related companies over recent years, so NFC *is* coming... some day. Possibily not so soon, but why introduce a wallet-like app so soon ahead of NFC?

In which NFC technologies and related companies has Apple invested?
post #65 of 81

It's just a matter of one-handed use.

It's secure one-handed use. I can keep a solid grip on my iPhone while performing all the main tasks I need.

When I had a GSII it required more grip shifting to access all points of the screen, and perform regular tasks, which made the phone less secure to hold, which affects my day to day use.

post #66 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulbearer View Post

Agree, I don't see anything worthy of an upgrade. The iPhone y so much behind on bigger screen, LTE, NFC, no micro SD port, etc. But it looks pretty.

Idontknowhowtopostapicture.jpg

You forgot the 'oh, so important' replaceable battery.

...and how to steal stuff, the Android way, like so:-

It makes you wonder why they bother with the copying.

LOL

LOL, they only remove the back cover from the back and call this a big change? I hope the add something really worthy, so far looks like the same phone to me. The iphone is behind all existing Android phone on decent screen size, LTE, NFC, micro SD, etc.
Getting a phone that is outdated is just dump. We can call the iphone as the smartphone for dummies.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-lUdZsv7VkhY/UBsM5YCx57I/AAAAAAAAA_c/iW8sComrfGo/s467/pic049.jpeg
everinm
7 September, 2012 09:59

Edited by hill60 - 9/7/12 at 4:38am
post #67 of 81
Apple iPhone is the most popular smartphone.

Apple iPhone has the highest customer retention rate.

Apple iPhone has the highest customer satisfaction.

Apple has the highest product reliability (including the iPhone product line).

Apple has the best smartphone reliability.

Apple iPhone offers much less expensive prices for apps than Android.

Apple products are highly secure as evidenced by only two significantly successful malware threats in the last ten years (MacDefender and Flashback) across their entire product line.

Apple has the market leading ecosystem with:

* 28 million (mostly) DRM-free songs worldwide (many encoded as 256 kbit/s AAC)
* 1,000,000+ podcasts (USA)
* 40,000+ music videos (USA)
* 3,000+ TV shows (USA)
* 20,000+ audiobooks (USA)
* 2,500+ movies (USA)
* 725,700 App Store Apps with more than 25 billion downloads
* Apple has more than 70% of the digital music downloads

Apple iPhone (iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S) has historically offered the best overall performance of any smartphone for following six months upon release.

Apple provides software updates for the iPhone for two software generations.
post #68 of 81
Originally Posted by Soulbearer View Post
Agree, why not removable battery!

Lack of a point?

You realize this image is making fun of Samsung, right?

BTW the Android way represents most of the smartphone users worldwide.

Real shame that "most of the smartphone users worldwide" hate their phones.

post #69 of 81
Maybe I was wrong about NFC. I didn't realize Bluetooth 4 could substitute it.

Believe me, I love my Apple iPhone 4, iPad 3, iPod Touch 4, and Apple TV 2 too much to be a troll.

My sister, btw, has a Samsung Galaxy S3, a Mac Book Pro, an iPad 3, and and an Apple TV 3 and we get into Apple vs Samsung arguments all the time. I keep telling her that Samsung outright stole Apple's designs and tried to improve it. In many cases, they used their insider knowledge as a manufacturer contractor for Apple to gain the upper hand and compete against it unfairly. I guess values and morality counts little for Samsung fans.
post #70 of 81
Quote:

Maybe I was wrong about NFC. I didn't realize Bluetooth 4 could substitute it.
Believe me, I love my Apple iPhone 4, iPad 3, iPod Touch 4, and Apple TV 2 too much to be a troll.
My sister, btw, has a Samsung Galaxy S3, a Mac Book Pro, an iPad 3, and and an Apple TV 3 and we get into Apple vs Samsung arguments all the time. I keep telling her that Samsung outright stole Apple's designs and tried to improve it. In many cases, they used their insider knowledge as a manufacturer contractor for Apple to gain the upper hand and compete against it unfairly. I guess values and morality counts little for Samsung fans.

I could be mistaken but I believe there are significant advantages for Apple to use Bluetooth rather than NFC.

You are asking the correct questions though:

Why was the FaceTime camera moved?
Why was the headphone jack moved?
Why is a only a portion of the rear metal (NFC antenna)?
Conversely, why is only a portion of the rear glass (fingerprint sensor)?
Why does Apple feel the AuthenTec purchase is worthwhile?
Why did the iTravel and iWallet patents only recently surface?
Why does Apple feel that Passbook is so important?
post #71 of 81
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post
Why is a only a portion of the rear metal (NFC antenna)?

The back panel and two side panels are one piece. That's not going to be a very good antenna, I don't think.

post #72 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The back panel and two side panels are one piece. That's not going to be a very good antenna, I don't think.

I don't believe so either but I also question whether the design is real.
post #73 of 81
I don't believe so either but I also question whether the design is real.

Oh, at the very least it's real. If nothing else, it's an actual Apple prototype; that machining, that refinement of the iPhone 4 design is too sophisticated for anyone else, and do you know how expensive making one-shots of all the parts we've seen are? Even if they're literally just laminated paper to make them look shiny like ribbon cables and cardboard for the pieces, it's a feat. 

post #74 of 81
Quote:

Oh, at the very least it's real. If nothing else, it's an actual Apple prototype; that machining, that refinement of the iPhone 4 design is too sophisticated for anyone else, and do you know how expensive making one-shots of all the parts we've seen are? Even if they're literally just laminated paper to make them look shiny like ribbon cables and cardboard for the pieces, it's a feat. 

I remember last year when virtually everyone was sure that the iPhone 5 would be curved based on images.

At any rate, that isn't the point. My point is that based on the imagery, Apple has made some significant changes apparently unnecessarily. Unnecessary changes are an anathema to Apple.

Why the back panel?
Why not a one piece back?
Why was the headphone jack moved?
Why was the FaceTime camera moved?
post #75 of 81
Why not a one piece back?

They wanted metal for the back, but you can't do that and expect radio reception (and unless this back IS LiquidMetal and they just chose an alloy that was transparent to the wrong frequencies, LiquidMetal isn't ready yet). 

Headphone jack, who knows, but I have a sinking suspicion it has to do with compatibility with the Dock Connector 2 to Dock Connector accessories. 

FaceTime probably because Apple likes symmetry. There were two screws on the bottom of the white MacBook that did absolutely nothing, but were there because the two screws in the same place on the other side did.

post #76 of 81
Quote:

They wanted metal for the back, but you can't do that and expect radio reception (and unless this back IS LiquidMetal and they just chose an alloy that was transparent to the wrong frequencies, LiquidMetal isn't ready yet). 

Headphone jack, who knows, but I have a sinking suspicion it has to do with compatibility with the Dock Connector 2 to Dock Connector accessories. 

FaceTime probably because Apple likes symmetry. There were two screws on the bottom of the white MacBook that did absolutely nothing, but were there because the two screws in the same place on the other side did.

The partial metal back seems an odd design choice; therefore, I believe there must be a reason. (cognitive bias)

There is also the question of how Apple is using the (likely) massive amounts of additional space in the new iPhone:

Apple A6 SOC will likely use a 28 nm or 32 nm process indicating a smaller processor (unless Apple decides to use a quad-core processor)
Qualcomm MDM9615 is manufactured using a 28 nm process, again, possibly indicating potential additional space.
Additionally, most of the thinner profile seems to be attributable to the in-cell technology of the display.
Edited by MacBook Pro - 9/7/12 at 9:09pm
post #77 of 81
There is also the question of how Apple is using the (likely) massive amounts of additional space in the new iPhone:

It's thinner though, so I read somewhere the volume is about the same… 

post #78 of 81
Quote:

It's thinner though, so I read somewhere the volume is about the same… 

You must have responded before I finished.

Apparently the thinner profile is attributable to the in-cell technology.
The additional space; therefore, is attributable to the use of 28 nm or 32 nm process technology.

I presume some of the space will be used for Hynix or Toshiba NAND flash
NFC components aren't very large
AuthenTec's AES2750 fingerprint sensor isn't very large
post #79 of 81
The additional space; therefore, is attributable to the use of 28 nm or 32 nm process technology.

In any case, I want it to go to the battery. Anything would probably be better than the drop off from 4 to 4S… 

… I just noticed you're in my basement.

post #80 of 81
Quote:

In any case, I want it to go to the battery. Anything would probably be better than the drop off from 4 to 4S… 

… I just noticed you're in my basement.

The battery doesn't seem significantly larger based on rumored data. I hope the change to 28 nm and 32 nm process technology will benefit users.

Like Steve Jobs, I am second to no one.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › New pics of Apple's 'iPhone 5' mystery part reaffirm no NFC chip