or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung reportedly dropped as memory supplier for first batch of next-gen iPhones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung reportedly dropped as memory supplier for first batch of next-gen iPhones

post #1 of 131
Thread Starter 
Industry sources claim Apple has cut orders for Samsung memory modules to be used in its upcoming next-generation iPhone, saying the first batch of handsets widely expected to launch on Sept. 21 following Sept. 12 debut, will not carry chips made by the South Korean company.

While Apple will continue to use Samsung-made DRAM and NAND flash modules in future products, the Cupertino tech giant is tapering orders made to its smartphone rival, an unnamed supply chain source told Reuters on Friday, Korean local time.

A separate report from The Korean Economic Daily cites another person familiar with the matter who said Apple dropped Samsung memory completely for initial iPhone rollout. Taking the place of Samsung's units will be parts made by Toshiba, Elpida Memory and SK Hynix.

"Samsung is still in the list of initial memory chip suppliers (for new iPhones)," said the Reuters source. "But Apple orders have been trending down and Samsung is making up for the reduced order from others, notably Samsung's handset business."

The person went on to say the move away from Samsung is in line with Apple's plan to diversify its supply chain, and is not in response to the two companies' worldwide patent dispute. The iPhone maker has been attempting to reduce its reliance on Samsung parts for months, the most recent move prompting the Korean electronics giant's value to fall over concern that it would be shut out as an Apple supplier.

A5X RAM
Samsung-sourced DDR2 RAM modules as used with Apple's A5X chip. | Source: Chipworks


The high demand for Apple products frequently outweighs supply, especially at big launches like the upcoming next-generation iPhone, and the company is looking to spread out its supply chain to combat possible component shortages that would cause a production slowdown.

Samsung is the sole supplier of the Retina displays used in the third-generation iPad, and fabricates the A-series SoCs found in Apple's iDevice line, as well as a number of other integral components.

Apple is expected to debut the sixth-generation iPhone at a Sept. 12 special event, which will be followed by a rollout on Sept. 21.
post #2 of 131
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post
While Apple will continue to use Samsung-made DRAM and NAND flash modules in future products, the Cupertino tech giant is tapering orders…

 

"Apple knows the 6th iPhone is a failure because they haven't changed anything on it since the iPhone 4, and so they're making fewer of them."

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #3 of 131

Lets get rid of all samsung manufacturing and depend on other companies making them grow and prosper.

An Apple man since 1977
Reply
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
post #4 of 131

Taiwan is smiling with glee.

mmmmmmmmmmmm....

Reply

mmmmmmmmmmmm....

Reply
post #5 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The person went on to say the move away from Samsung is in line with Apple's plan to diversify its supply chain, and is not in response to the two companies' worldwide patent dispute.

 

Yeah, right Samsung has proved they are untrustworthy as a supplier, there are obviously leaks between their component supply business and their device designers.

 

Creating a glut could backfire slightly as Samsung will have to dump excess inventory.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #6 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

"Apple knows the 6th iPhone is a failure because they haven't changed anything on it since the iPhone 4, and so they're making fewer of them."

I can understand that.  The taller screen on the 6th generation iPhone is not a big deal in my opinion.  What really would have made it for me is a wider and taller screen.  This next generation iPhone reminds me of the 5th generation iPod Nano that had the tall screen.  Kind of gaudy.

An Apple man since 1977
Reply
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
post #7 of 131

Wish we could block moderators because I am getting real tired of reading TS posts.
 

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply
post #8 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

"Apple knows the 6th iPhone is a failure because they haven't changed anything on it since the iPhone 4, and so they're making fewer of them."

 

Heh, heh.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #9 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The high demand for Apple products frequently outweighs supply ...

 

If you're going to be honest you should add ... "for extremely short periods of time." to the end of this statement.  

 

It's pure hyperbole otherwise.  

post #10 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Wish we could block moderators because I am getting real tired of reading TS posts.

 

I am with you. Instead of moderating its more like trolling.
post #11 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Wish we could block moderators because I am getting real tired of reading TS posts.

 

I second that motion ...
post #12 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Morales View Post


I am with you. Instead of moderating its more like trolling.

 

How exactly would a person with 4 posts know that?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #13 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Wish we could block moderators because I am getting real tired of reading TS posts.
 

Personalities aside, I'm not sure why we can't block moderators.  

 

If you're going to get an infraction, they communicate with you directly.  If they are editing your post, then you see their comments anyway even if they are blocked, just as we see other blocked users in the replies of people we haven't blocked.  

 

What if a moderator is not so much abusing the system but just boring instead?  What if I just don't like their name or their avatar?  What if I'm just cranky today and don't have any particular reason?  I think we should be able to block them if we wish.    

 

I can't think of a single, good, logical reason not to allow users to block the comments of a moderator.

 

In fact as we have seen, *not* being able to block them, gives the moderator a sort of power that they don't rightly deserve and that serves no particular function.  It creates a division in users similar to a sort of class system.  It's anti-democratic.  

 

Seems like a flaw in the system to me. 

post #14 of 131

If this is indeed true, it's music to my ears.  Samsung's cash-cow is slowly going to green pastures.

Samsung's arrogant attitude towards Apple costed it $12b in lost company valuation in addition to the $1b it has to pay out.  Good!  Maybe next time they'll think twice about pissing off someone with a big stick.

post #15 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Wish we could block moderators because I am getting real tired of reading TS posts.
 

 

I find them refreshing, relevant, to the point and hopefully discouraging to trolls who will make similar posts later on.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #16 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

"Apple knows the 6th iPhone is a failure because they haven't changed anything on it since the iPhone 4, and so they're making fewer of them."

Hook, line & sinker...

(4 so far) lol.gif

post #17 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While Apple will continue to use Samsung-made DRAM and NAND flash modules in future products

Seems like a logical guess, but, how do you know this?

post #18 of 131
Worst frienemy ever.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #19 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Wish we could block moderators because I am getting real tired of reading TS posts.
 

 

I find them refreshing, relevant, to the point and hopefully discouraging to trolls who will make similar posts later on.

 

Seconded.

post #20 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

How exactly would a person with 4 posts know that?
Because he might mostly be a reader
post #21 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Hook, line & sinker...

(4 so far) lol.gif

 

I've been following this thread just to see how many Tallest Skil reels in.

post #22 of 131
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post
Hook, line & sinker...

(4 so far) lol.gif

 

I love that they're pretending it's "trolling" and that it's something I actually believe, and then they go on to want to block me. I don't get it… have these people never heard of sarcasm or satire before? For heaven's sake.

Did anyone notice I can't bring myself to call it the "iPhone 5", even in my Anti-Apple Brigade fantasy… 

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #23 of 131
What about when the Samsung lawyers, at the beginning
Of the trial said the iPhone uses a lot of Samsung stuff and
Who's copying who.
Would be nice to move away from all their sh*t.
post #24 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Grain of Salt View Post

I've been following this thread just to see how many Tallest Skil reels in.
Really
post #25 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Morales View Post

I am with you. Instead of moderating its more like trolling.

How exactly would a person with 4 posts know that?

Because, TS posted more than 15,000 comments, and great many of them were trolling.
post #26 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

I love that they're pretending it's "trolling" and that it's something I actually believe, and then they go on to want to block me. I don't get it… have these people never heard of sarcasm or satire before? For heaven's sake.

Did anyone notice I can't bring myself to call it the "iPhone 5", even in my Anti-Apple Brigade fantasy… 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

 

I find them refreshing, relevant, to the point and hopefully discouraging to trolls who will make similar posts later on.

 

they get troll blocked and then complain about it cause their troll comment becomes irrelevant

post #27 of 131
Fucking hell! Someone volunteers his time to clean up spam, trolls and other crap comments on a forum he enjoys posting on and because of that he's not allowed to have an opinion or have one that differs from yours? What the **** is wrong with people?!

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #28 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoadm View Post

 

 

they get troll blocked and then complain about it cause their troll comment becomes irrelevant

 

Precisely. "Head 'em off at the pass!"

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #29 of 131

I won't be surprised if Micron gets in on the action for Apple.
 

post #30 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

I love that they're pretending it's "trolling" and that it's something I actually believe, and then they go on to want to block me. I don't get it… have these people never heard of sarcasm or satire before? For heaven's sake.

Did anyone notice I can't bring myself to call it the "iPhone 5", even in my Anti-Apple Brigade fantasy… 

I totally support your posts.  I have never thought of you as a troll.  In fact I see your reply or posts as informative however far from any related topic it may be or how ever close to it as well.  I say don't block moderators.  Maybe I don't like your comment on a particular topic.  

 

Now for all the ones who are uptight and stuffy.  Well thats part of the whole process here isn't it.  If it is off topic well then I can skip over Tallest Skill's post.  Hitler was into eliminating a type of labeled troll in his day.  See how it worked for him?  Lets do what ever angry people say and make this place a totalitarian place to comment on.  If you step out of line your blocked or banned for life.  Now if you like that thought then go to Mac Rumors.  I am banned for life there.  They love to do such things.  Please leave us accused trollers alone and let us have a more liberal place to comment here.  If not then go take some midol for your PMS.  Basically you get the point.

An Apple man since 1977
Reply
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
post #31 of 131
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
Fucking hell! Someone volunteers his time to clean up spam, trolls and other crap comments on a forum he enjoys posting on and because of that he's not allowed to have an opinion or have one that differs from yours? What the **** is wrong with people?!

 

I find it better to poke fun at them than blow up at them. 


Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post
Hitler was into eliminating a type of labeled troll in his day.  See how it worked for him?  Lets do what ever angry people say and make this place a totalitarian place to comment on.  If you step out of line your blocked or banned for life.  Now if you like that thought then go to Mac Rumors.  I am banned for life there.  They love to do such things.  Please leave us accused trollers alone and let us have a more liberal place to comment here.  If not then go take some midol for your PMS.  Basically you get the point.

 

Yes, the point is that you killed your argument long before Godwin got there. lol.gif

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #32 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

If this is indeed true, it's music to my ears.  Samsung's cash-cow is slowly going to green pastures.

Samsung's arrogant attitude towards Apple costed it $12b in lost company valuation in addition to the $1b it has to pay out.  Good!  Maybe next time they'll think twice about pissing off someone with a big stick.

 

Well, that's somewhat misleading.  Samsung mobile's sales now accounts for almost 50% of all Samsung Electronic's revenue, or 75% of profit. Apple's $12+B sales doesn't really amount to much, especially considering Samsung's $160+B annual sales. The semi and display divisions don't really make much money for Samsung or barely breaking even. Samsung is really better off without Apple.

post #33 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wok Toss View Post

Taiwan is smiling with glee.

 

Toshiba, Elpida are Japanese, while Hynix is Korean.

post #34 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

I find it better to poke fun at them than blow up at them. 

 

Yes, the point is that you killed your argument long before Godwin got there. lol.gif

Well your on your own man.  I tried in my own dysfunctional way to support you.  I guess I made a mistake.  Maybe we need to after all.

An Apple man since 1977
Reply
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
post #35 of 131
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post
Well your on your own man.  I tried in my own dysfunctional way to support you.  I guess I made a mistake.  Maybe we need to after all.

 

And perhaps I've simply read it wrong. It's late, I'm tired, and rather depressed. If in the morning with a clearer head I've made a mistake, you'll be the first to know, and I'll be the first on my knees about it. Sorry in advance, if that's the case.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #36 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimk69 View Post

What about when the Samsung lawyers, at the beginning
Of the trial said the iPhone uses a lot of Samsung stuff

This in itself does not mean Apple was using anything of Samsung's stuff.

post #37 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

And perhaps I've simply read it wrong. It's late, I'm tired, and rather depressed. If in the morning with a clearer head I've made a mistake, you'll be the first to know, and I'll be the first on my knees about it. Sorry in advance, if that's the case.

Sorry that your depressed.  I hope you feel better then.  Just remember in this world most people don't give a shit.  So if some one shows concern towards you its rare.  Maybe thats something to be happy about.

An Apple man since 1977
Reply
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
post #38 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

Apple's $12+ [BILLION] sales doesn't really amount to much... Samsung is really better off without Apple.

You don't think losing over $12 billion in revenue a year wouldn't affect their business? You don't think that losing 7.5% of their revenue is a big deal? Unbelievable!

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #39 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I won't be surprised if Micron gets in on the action for Apple. 

Ahh... Micron Apple.. A relationship that goes back more than 25 years...
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #40 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And perhaps I've simply read it wrong. It's late, I'm tired, and rather depressed. If in the morning with a clearer head I've made a mistake, you'll be the first to know, and I'll be the first on my knees about it. Sorry in advance, if that's the case.
Sorry that your depressed.  I hope you feel better then.  Just remember in this world most people don't give a shit.  So if some one shows concern towards you its rare.  Maybe thats something to be happy about.

Why is this about personalities... It's supposed to be about tech topics of interest to Apple users... Use FaceBook for the other...
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung reportedly dropped as memory supplier for first batch of next-gen iPhones