or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung reportedly dropped as memory supplier for first batch of next-gen iPhones

Samsung reportedly dropped as memory supplier for first batch of next-gen iPhones - Page 3

post #81 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Yeah, right Samsung has proved they are untrustworthy as a supplier, there are obviously leaks between their component supply business and their device designers.

Not sure about that. The features that Apple sued Samsung about would not be those revealed to suppliers of processors, DRAM or touchscreens.

post #82 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

Your job is to moderate the forum, not to post, post and post your opinions, sarcasm and satire. If you just want to be a regular member, then that would be a different story. 

I want to block you because I am tired of seeing all your comments...plain and simple.

I second that.

Marquiz d' Gabber von Gabberaarde

... and Windows Vista...
... fails on the Moon...
... 6x slower!
Marquiz d' Gabber von Gabberaarde

... and Windows Vista...
... fails on the Moon...
... 6x slower!
post #83 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

It's funny how so many have the 'kill it with fire' attitude towards Samsung, yet to me they are the only reliable ones around. Take the Retina Macbook Pro for example. For those that don't know the screen is for the most part made by LG with Samsung producing the extra to meet demand. The big problem is many many people are having major IR issues with the LG version of them - myself included. I'm on the 3rd one which finally has a Samsung screen and the screen issues are gone, same for everyone else that's reported. While screens aren't memory, be careful what you wish for.

How do you tell that your RetMBP screen is made by Sam or LG?

post #84 of 131

Samsung will be just fine. And it's smart on Apple's part to diversify. Given the bad blood between the two, putting all your eggs in one basket just seems like a receipt for disaster. I personally believe in self-sufficiency - and I know Apple does as well as evidenced by their control-all-aspects approach. I'd like to see the day were they produce all their own parts alleviating supplier dependency altogether.

post #85 of 131
I like Samsung's memory but if Apple wants to diversify for the iPhones. I'm fine with that. Elpida will be fine because they're under the Micron umbrella and I like Samsung's SSDs and NAND.

Also not to ass kiss, but while TS and I don't agree on everything, I will admit that I don't have a problem with him. I've been here almost four years in January.
post #86 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasimo View Post

Apple still accounts for almost 30% of worldwide NAND flash memory demand though.
http://www.storagenewsletter.com/news/marketreport/apple-nand-flash-ihs-isuppli

I was never trying to discount the fact that Apple is the world's largest buyer of NAND memory. I was merely responding to hill60's ridiculous comment that if you remove Apple and Samsung from the market, the rest is merely "crumbs"....

post #87 of 131
Quote:

Your job is to moderate the forum, not to post, post and post your opinions, sarcasm and satire. If you just want to be a regular member, then that would be a different story. 

I want to block you because I am tired of seeing all your comments...plain and simple.

Well, why?   While I expect "moderators" to be somewhat neutral (or perhaps not as obnixous as TS), Appleinsider.com is a Apple echo chamber.  Apple fanboys all over the world come here to spread their Apple propaganda and justify their existence. (ok, just kidding)  You could take a hike if you don't like it here (now, on an unrelated note, anybody know why Appleinsider keeps showing up on my Google news/search?)

Let's all leave that poor TS guy alone, ..  oh, wait.. Guys, Look!  TS is on Youtube.

post #88 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardkim View Post

Because, TS posted more than 15,000 comments, and great many of them were trolling.

He is an ultimate troll. King of trolls.

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

post #89 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

He is an ultimate troll. King of trolls.

Many of us would likely rather have one of him than the whiny, dissembling bunch of you....

post #90 of 131

Earlier in the thread, when they were exchanging, "I love you man!" vows, I thought we were headed toward a kinder and gentler forum.

post #91 of 131
Mostly they attack Apple.
Sometimes they attack Steve Jobs and his legacy.
Now they attack AI forum and its moderators.

Yawn . . .
post #92 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mode View Post

And thousands of others 3rd the motion.
Say goodbye to Appleinsider - when they hand the keys over to a seething Apple fanatic troll who has already been 'editing' posts. 

Hear that Appleinsider?... the sound of your ad revenue crashing to the floor...
We have already pulled you from our media buying list.

Even Apple isn't stupid enough to put fanatics in charge of their product.... have you paid no attention at all???
Talk about a fatal miscalculation. It's the forums that make the site, and you know that.

Will be refreshing to see who steps up to replace this propaganda blog.

C'est la vie

Not to burst your bubble, but you aren't that important.
The loudness of your complaining is inversely proportional to your economic value as a participant here.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #93 of 131
Quote:

I think even most Apple fanatics would find that funny. . .

lol.gif

melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #94 of 131
Quote:

The idea and statement that moderators shouldn't post is a laughable. Can you name a forum that doesn't allow moderators to post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post

Quiet, towel head.

Racist comments might get people randomly banned.
post #95 of 131
Quote:

Yeah, right Samsung has proved they are untrustworthy as a supplier, there are obviously leaks between their component supply business and their device designers.

Creating a glut could backfire slightly as Samsung will have to dump excess inventory.

I thought Samsung wasn't making parts for new models? The same new models which people seem to have managed to piece together 90% of the alleged unreleased iPhone. I think that's unprecedented.
post #96 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The idea and statement that moderators shouldn't post is a laughable. Can you name a forum that doesn't allow moderators to post?

It's fine and dandy if moderators want to post their ideas and statements, however one should be more professional about it.

From what I've seen, his post usually consist of his opinion or statement that will most likely offend other people. Moderators are there to

stop people from causing trouble and not just adding more fuel to it.

post #97 of 131
Originally Posted by Van Lustre View Post
From what I've seen, his post usually consist of his opinion or statement that will most likely offend other people.

I offend people by making fun of Samsung? Not sure this's the site for them, then.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #98 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I offend people by making fun of Samsung? Not sure this's the site for them, then.

Your statement I believe is part of "Argumentum ad Ignorantiam". I would explain it to you why but I prefer saying "No Comment"

post #99 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Get lost with your pouting. Au revoir.
Ad buyers come and go. For every little 'media buyer' like you that AI loses, I'll bet they make up with others. The total volume of ads here is higher than a couple of years ago.

Including Samsung, which is kind of ironic, poetic and fair.

You wouldn't want them pulling ads for dissenting views.

A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
post #100 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

WOW! Who pissed on your Cheerios this morning?

post #101 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

Not sure about that. The features that Apple sued Samsung about would not be those revealed to suppliers of processors, DRAM or touchscreens.

If you'd followed the court case that Samsung lost in California recently, you'd know that documents were released, purportedly from Samsung's components arm, relating specifically to Apple's designs and which Samsung's designer's denied ever seeing, even though they came up with designs that were eerily familiar.

Strange that.

post #102 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I think even most Apple fanatics would find that funny. . .
lol.gif

To an extent. After 30 seconds I was saying I've said most of those things in one way or another but after a minute through they started getting absurd and by the end it was no longer truthful or relatable enough to be funny.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #103 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_veritas View Post

I was merely responding to hill60's ridiculous comment that if you remove Apple and Samsung from the market, the rest is merely "crumbs"....

How much of the world's handset profits do Apple and Samsung share between themselves?

How then would you describe the 10% or so left over, that is shared between all the other handset OEM's?

post #104 of 131
Quote:

Please....most forums have moderators who are not actively engaged in the conversations. Isn't the question at hand why he can't be added to our ignore list anyways?

How would banning someone for a racist comment be "random"? Are you suggesting that AI's enforcement of policy is arbitrary by the moderators?

Also, I don't recall seeing TS banned for his racist/xenophobic comments about Judge Koh a while back....just a lot of edited posts.

post #105 of 131
Quote:

How much of the world's handset profits do Apple and Samsung share between themselves?

How then would you describe the 10% or so left over, that is shared between all the other handset OEM's?

Yes, if smartphone handsets were the ONLY device to use memory, than this would be accurate reasoning. However, smartphone handsets only account for 16% of NAND flash memory consumption and even less for DRAM, therefore, the logic of equating handset market share with memory market share is non-sequitur.

post #106 of 131
Quote:

Yes, if smartphone handsets were the ONLY device to use memory, than this would be accurate reasoning. However, smartphone handsets only account for 16% of NAND flash memory consumption and even less for DRAM, therefore, the logic of equating handset market share with memory market share is non-sequitur.

So where will Samsung find buyers willing to pay cash up front, as Apple does, when most handset makers are barely eking out an existence on the 10% of total handset revenue they share between themselves?

PC makers are in the same boat, barely breaking even.

Most of them are slowly spiralling down into losses, when will they start reneging on contracts?

post #107 of 131
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post

Quiet, towel head.

If that comment didn't warrant being banned, what would?

post #108 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

If that comment didn't warrant being banned, what would?

I don't get why that poster was not only allowed to stay on and his comment not removed, but a mod quoted his racist comment. There should be consideration for the word(s) used but the meaning applied to them. He called another board member a racist slur and nothing. What could have jragosta could have done to get himself banned if racist comments won't?

I'm starting to get this feeling that AI supports racism so long as it's not against caucasian Americans which makes me wonder if I should continue posting here. Mods, if that hits too close to home then please ban me and I'll know not to come back.

post #109 of 131
Quote:

Please....most forums have moderators who are not actively engaged in the conversations.

I've never seen such a thing. Some mods might not be active, but I've not seen a forum where mods were discouraged from the discussions. Most often, mods are invited from a pool of members. Why would a member voluntarily quit posting or change posting style to do moderating?

Quote:
Isn't the question at hand why he can't be added to our ignore list anyways?

Not exclusively. I wasn't aware, or maybe forgot that happens.

Quote:
How would banning someone for a racist comment be "random"? Are you suggesting that AI's enforcement of policy is arbitrary by the moderators?

I was being cheeky. I banned his ass right then and there. You didn't notice the banned mark beneath his name on his posts? I ban posters for racist comments on occasion, pretty much every time i notice it, maybe it needs to be a public spectacle so someone notices.

Quote:
Also, I don't recall seeing TS banned for his racist/xenophobic comments about Judge Koh a while back....just a lot of edited posts.

He contends it wasn't what he intended. Also, it wasn't against another forum member. A couple levels of distinctions in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't get why that poster was not only allowed to stay on and his comment not removed, but a mod quoted his racist comment. There should be consideration for the word(s) used but the meaning applied to them. He called another board member a racist slur and nothing. What could have jragosta could have done to get himself banned if racist comments won't?
I'm starting to get this feeling that AI supports racism so long as it's not against caucasian Americans which makes me wonder if I should continue posting here. Mods, if that hits too close to home then please ban me and I'll know not to come back.

I'm surprised you think we might support racism. Please give me a link to this jragosta comment privately. I never saw them or the reports. I don't read all reports for that matter, I just hope that someone else can check up on them when I can't. There's enough threads, enough reports that I'm sure there is a fair amount that just fall through the cracks. That's what I was alluding to in random, theres always that chance that it doesn't get spotted and a report doesn't get read.
Edited by JeffDM - 9/7/12 at 7:00pm
post #110 of 131
Quote:

Keep posting and doing what you are doing, this is an Apple fansite, if they do not want to hear what apple fans have to say then they don't belong here, regardless of you being a moderator or not. My only critisism of the mods here is that they can't actively ban the fandroid trolls who come here just to stir up problems.

post #111 of 131
Quote:

Quote:

I'm surprised you think we might support racism. 

Oh c'mon. Nobody 'supports' racism. Or, even if they did, no one would expect them to say they did. So that's an absurd statement you're making there.

I specifically flagged for you moderators -- I assume that someone must have seen it, unless it's a stupid feelgood button -- a comment that fairthrope made that is explicitly a racist slur against Arabs and Sikhs (neither of which, for the record, I am; but not that it should matter). AFAIK, that post is still there, the poster is still there, and you guys could give a shit about allowing lowlifes like that to continue to post.

It's becoming a joke.

I dare you to allow a post or a poster to stand that uses, say, the 'N' word, or makes an anti-Jewish slur on these forums.

But he banned that poster, and stated as much. Did you not see that?

post #112 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

I did not. It's tough to navigate the site with an iPad.

I do see that now, and have deleted my posts -- although, my inability to see it (and see it referred to JeffDM's post) stands fully and justly in evidence of my sloppiness, as quoted in your reply! :-)

post #113 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by xRCx View Post

Quote:

Keep posting and doing what you are doing, this is an Apple fansite, if they do not want to hear what apple fans have to say then they don't belong here, regardless of you being a moderator or not. My only critisism of the mods here is that they can't actively ban the fandroid trolls who come here just to stir up problems.

TO: TS, JeffDM, hill60 and xRCx, and other Apple Fanboys

It became clear to me that you guys are extreamly serious Apple Fanboys who worship Apple God mindlessly, and you want to keep AI to be your exclusive domain.

I propose that you post a greeting message on AI's Home Page with large fonts in bold to warn that "AI is exclusive domain of Apple Fanboys and others are not welcome unless they also praise Apple God, with no exceptions"

This way we who are not Apple Fanboys do not enter AI and post comments that you don't want to know or hear.

Do we have a deal?
post #114 of 131
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

I did not. It's tough to navigate the site with an iPad.

I do see that now, and have deleted my posts -- although, my inability to see it (and see it referred to JeffDM's post) stands fully and justly in evidence of my sloppiness, as quoted in your reply! :-)

You had every right to be offended.

post #115 of 131
Quote:

It became clear to me that you guys are extreamly serious Apple Fanboys who worship Apple God mindlessly, and you want to keep AI to be your exclusive domain.
I propose that you post a greeting message on AI's Home Page with large fonts in bold to warn that "AI is exclusive domain of Apple Fanboys and others are not welcome unless they also praise Apple God, with no exceptions"
This way we who are not Apple Fanboys do not enter AI and post comments that you don't want to know or hear.
Do we have a deal?

No, we don't. 

If you have something intelligent to post -- especially if it's anti-Apple -- people listen. Most of the folks that get called out do so for the simple reason that it's knee-jerk nonsense that they dwell on.

Just so you know, I am replying as a 'Fanboy' (the usage of which is abundant evidence regarding the level of discourse you're capable of, but let's leave that aside). 

post #116 of 131

I'm sorry, but if you don't come to a website called "AppleInsider" with the belief that the people on said website are going to be pro-Apple, it's your fault and no one else's. Whining about it won't change that.

Do we have a deal?

I have another deal in mind, one that will actually benefit the forums and get rid of a ton of the lying that goes on here, but trust me, you wouldn't like it.

post #117 of 131
Quote:

Do we have a deal?

When you have an argument that is better than a heap of strawmen, we can talk. The people that come here just to trash Apple aren't going to get pity, they don't deserve it. That's the basic definition of trolling. If you're here for a little give and take, earnest conversation, then that's fine.

I don't go to Android dens to look for trouble, and I would appreciate it if Android fans don't come here to look for trouble. Some people on both sides are strongly partisan, but the number of people that come here looking for a fight is just stupid.
Edited by JeffDM - 9/7/12 at 9:07pm
post #118 of 131
Quote:

When you have an argument that is better than a heap of strawmen, we can talk. The people that come here just to trash Apple aren't going to get pity, they don't deserve it. That's the basic definition of trolling. If you're here for a little give and take, earnest conversation, then that's fine.
I don't go to Android dens to look for trouble, and I would appreciate it if Android fans don't come here to look for trouble. Some people on both sides are strongly partisan, but the number of people that come here looking for a fight is just stupid.

I have a question (or more a concern).

If I post above or below one of edwardkim's posts (so that my post is right next to his) is it possible for me to be infected with his stupidity?

If you're going to be original, then you can count on being copied.
If you're going to be original, then you can count on being copied.
post #119 of 131
Originally Posted by GTR View Post
If I post above or below one of edwardkim's posts…

I'm pretty sure trolling isn't like cooties. But then again, I never got cooties as a kid, so I'll probably die the first time a woman actually falls in love with me. 

post #120 of 131
Quote:

I'm surprised you think we might support racism. Please give me a link to this jragosta comment privately. I never saw them or the reports. I don't read all reports for that matter, I just hope that someone else can check up on them when I can't. There's enough threads, enough reports that I'm sure there is a fair amount that just fall through the cracks. That's what I was alluding to in random, theres always that chance that it doesn't get spotted and a report doesn't get read.

I'm not saying AI thinks it's racist, I'm saying it's supporting it when a blatantly racial comments in this case, and I don't understand why. I understand there is only so much the mods can do and things will always fall through the cracks, but you not only didn't remove it once you saw it but quoted it in your reply. I understand that many think a comment isn't racist if it uses more mundane language like the term 'towel head" as opposed to more harsh sounding statements like "sand nigger" but if the intent of the speaker/poster is identical then it makes no difference. I'm just as offended by either terms if the context for each is identical.

As for jragosta, I am not saying that he should be banned, I noticed he was banned and wondered what he could have possibly said to get himself banned if making racist comments against other posters isn't an offense on this forum.

BTW, I have repeatedly found your posts to be the most balanced and objective on this forum.
Edited by SolipsismX - 9/7/12 at 10:12pm

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung reportedly dropped as memory supplier for first batch of next-gen iPhones