or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Launch of Apple's new iMac lineup is 'imminent' - report

Launch of Apple's new iMac lineup is 'imminent' - report

post #1 of 90
Apple is set to launch a new lineup of iMac desktops in the near future, with a debut now "imminent," according to a new report.

Citing "multiple sources," Clayton Morris of Fox News reported on Friday that Apple is prepared to launch new models in the near future, but declined to offer a specific timeframe. He cited as recent evidence the fact that supply of Apple's larger 27-inch iMac models has been dwindling at Apple's retail stores and third-party resellers.

"It's possible the iMac announcement could happen at the rumored October iPad mini announcement, but I'm not holding my breath for that," Morris wrote. "Apple has been known to update the desktops without much fanfare."

iMac

Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said late last month that two new iMac models would be among 8 new product launches from Apple this fall. He estimated that both a 21.5-inch and 27-inch iMac will be available before the end of October.

However, he also indicated that the new iMacs will not feature high-resolution Retina displays like the newly updated 15-inch MacBook Pro. But the refreshed iMacs are expected to have a redesigned exterior with an improved "full-lamination process" for the screen's cover glass.

That new production method is apparently more difficult for the larger 27-inch iMac, which reportedly has a lower production yield rate than the 21.5-inch model.

The new iMacs are also expected to feature Intel's latest-generation Ivy Bridge processors, as well as USB 3.0 ports and expanded solid-state drive capacities. Morris said Friday that the design will also be slimmer thanks to Apple removing the dedicated optical drive.

Last month, AppleInsider was first to report on configuration files found in Apple's Mountain Lion operating system that make apparent references to an unreleased new generation of all-in-one iMac desktops. Those references make mention of USB booting options that were seen as potentially indicating that the new machines could lack built-in optical drives for the first time.
post #2 of 90
I can't wait! It'll be my first direct desktop purchase since I started using notebooks way back in the late 90's.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #3 of 90

"Imminent." He's stirring the masses to a feverish pitch with this talk. Citing information derived from Apple's online store doesn't add any more evidence.

I'm breathlessly waiting with card in hand ("SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!") but this is just cruel to say that this is news.

post #4 of 90

This iMac update is a long time coming. It'll be a good update, too: Ivy Bridge, new GPUs, standard bumps to HDD and RAM, no optical drive, USB 3, maybe the number of Thunderbolt upped to 2 and 3, respectively.

But does anyone else think that people might hold off on it because it won't be getting a retina display?

post #5 of 90

I think that leaving out the DVD drive out of the iMac may be premature.  I still rent DVDs, and even BluRay.  With such a nice display, it makes fun watching movies on the 27" iMac and it is better than my regular HDTV.  More so when Apple introduces Retina Display.  

post #6 of 90

What would happen if 'It's Almost There' sign is actually for iMac, and not iPhone?

P.S. no more optical drive for iMac in this release, right?

post #7 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

But does anyone else think that people might hold off on it because it won't be getting a retina display?

Quite possibly.

I'm holding my financial breath on both a new MBA and Thunderbolt Display, purely because they don't have Retina Display.

People will probably do the same with these.
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
post #8 of 90
Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post
What would happen if 'It's Almost There' sign is actually for iMac, and not iPhone?

Oh, gosh, can you IMAGINE? The September event for Macs and then the October one for the iPhone… The horror (here)… the horror! lol.gif

P.S. no more optical drive for iMac in this release, right?

Hopefully.

post #9 of 90

I hope Mini's aren't far behind on the update path...

Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
post #10 of 90
Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

I see them as silent alongside whenever the iMac does.

post #11 of 90

This is not a criticism, just an observation...

A poster on a previous iMac article, said, "there is no reason for Apple to make the iMac any thinner."

My GF recently brought home her iMac from work for me setup for her. It's the newest current iMac. And when I pulled it out of the box I was amazed how light it was compared to my original white 20" intel iMac! I would guess it was a good third lighter.

I know Apple has a penchant for thinness which in turn means elegance, but imagine the cost savings in material, shipping cost (AVGas), etc., for Apple.

Anyway, can't wait to see the new ones! :)

post #12 of 90
Quote:

This iMac update is a long time coming. It'll be a good update, too: Ivy Bridge, new GPUs, standard bumps to HDD and RAM, no optical drive, USB 3, maybe the number of Thunderbolt upped to 2 and 3, respectively.

I think the retina display would be nice but when you look at what Retina display resolution is, the iMacs are very close. See the article ref'd here:

http://www.cultofmac.com/168509/why-you-might-be-disappointed-by-the-resolution-of-those-new-retina-display-macs-feature/

for more info.

Bottom line is I got a 3.4 quad i7 about 8 months ago and love it. I don't find the kind of difference you might be expecting when viewed from normal viewing distances, so no I don't think people should wait (some always will).

post #13 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

I think that leaving out the DVD drive out of the iMac may be premature.  I still rent DVDs, and even BluRay.  With such a nice display, it makes fun watching movies on the 27" iMac and it is better than my regular HDTV.  More so when Apple introduces Retina Display.  

nd yet I suspect they will do it. AND the retina, which by the by is only around a 15% bump in pixels at most (do the math). But only to one model at this point and that will be a pro focused 27 inch. Basically what they did with the MBP.

The rest of the line will be ram, processor, adding USB 3.0 etc.

Then next time around they will trickle through the line up just like they seem to be planning for the MBPs.

Hopefully they will also do a revamp of the Cinema Displays as well. Give us retina, hdmi, larger size options, higher refresh rates and 3D support wouldn't be bad

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #14 of 90
Quote:

Huh? How is it better than your regular HDTV? Assuming you don't have a tiny or really crappy HDTV? Sitting at a desk watching movies is fun?0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Quite possibly.
I'm holding my financial breath on both a new MBA and Thunderbolt Display, purely because they don't have Retina Display.
People will probably do the same with these.

The 13" MBP will be next with a Retina Display. After that, likely the Airs. While it'd be nice for the Thunderbolt to get one, don't hold your breath. The production yields for those will take a while to get up to the level required for production at a reasonable cost.

post #15 of 90
Quote:

Not much more though (see my previous post) unless you sit close enough to get nose prints on the screen. I find watching HD on my 27" quite satisfying (true HD not YouTube crap).

post #16 of 90

It just keeps getting better and better!!!

post #17 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I can't wait! It'll be my first direct desktop purchase since I started using notebooks way back in the late 90's.

You should not be disappointed. I have an ageing (lol) i7 27" that has been fantastic. I too have used MBP's as my main system in the past. Now, if I could make WiFi reliable under 10.8, would be great too! (I have 12 GB of RAM, best upgrade ever and cheap and easy to implement!)

All the best.

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #18 of 90
Quote:

Me too...they are already exquisite machines with the most elegant OS...can't wait to see the improvements.

I'd be very surprised if Retina displays were part of the deal. But I could see getting rid of the optical drive by expanding the model line much like they did with the RetinaMBP. The old 27" iMac with the superdrive and the new 27" iMac sans superdrive and SSD.

It's really brilliant what Apple is doing...instead of coming out with a several different models at one time (e.g., iPhone, iPad, MBP) they keep the old model, reduce the price when they introduce the new model. The old model then because the "entry level" price point. No reason they can't do it with iMac line, too.

I personally would go for the new 27" without the optical drive and SSD! :)

post #19 of 90
Quote:

Oh, gosh, can you IMAGINE? The September event for Macs and then the October one for the iPhone… The horror (here)… the horror! lol.gif

That is one plausible case. Only if the rumours about trobles of switching suppliers are true, and that Cook need more time to get all ducks in the row and see that Apple still has the same amount of output without Samsung.

In the meantime, Samsung might as well won 2012 Smartphone Championship this season and already tied Samsung Blue ribbon on the ears of the trophy, like this;

Don't be too worry though. It is only for one season. 2013 should be back to Apple Black ribbon.

Man-City-wins-first-English-title-in-44-years-MD1FM0FN-x-large.jpg

post #20 of 90
Quote:

I wouldn't mind them leaving it out - would make it cheaper plus it's the first thing to fail after a couple years.  I own an external bluray/dvd/cd burner i bought for less than $100 and that is where it may go: you want it - buy the external.

post #21 of 90

By the way, if smartphones are going to have 'team colour', which colour would be for each brand?

Apple - black?

Samsung -blue

LG - red and white

HTC - light green and white

Nokia - blue (lighter shade than Samsung)

Sony - black

Microsoft - quadcolour?

Google Nexus - red, blue and yellow

What else?

post #22 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

The lack of rumors here is extremely sad. Make me wonder if it is about to be replaced. That would be a shame too because Ivy Bridge would make for a very interesting Mini update.
post #23 of 90

My 2012 Quad Core i7 iMac has just bitten the bullet. Dead ram sticks, dead ram slots, damaged LCD display and the glass shattered into razor blades of death! Even before that happened something was wrong with the bluetooth and the EFI ROM (it stopped detecting connected disks - both internal and external).

Although I pretty much have to empty my ISA, I will end up having a next gen iMac for actual justified reasons rather than just wanting one.

Bitter sweet... victory?

... at night.

... at night.

post #24 of 90
Whats the cost/benefit on retina iMacs? I mean I'd never go back to a non-retina phone or tablet on the iMac would it really be that noticeable? Aren't the iMacs well beyond HD anyway?
post #25 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalidrama View Post

I wouldn't mind them leaving it out - would make it cheaper plus it's the first thing to fail after a couple years.  I own an external bluray/dvd/cd burner i bought for less than $100 and that is where it may go: you want it - buy the external.

The removal of optical drives is one of those things that leaves me with mixed feelings. Frankly over the years my luck with optical drives has been very mixed. As such I don't really trust them. The problem on the iMac is that space wise I don't think the optical is a big deal. Thus it does look to be premature to see them removed.

Externals opticals are like external hard drives, they certainly work but they are also a pain in the ass! one big disappointment I have with the retina MBP is that they didn't leave room for a magnetic disk to supplement the SSD. It is a serious shortcoming in my mind.
post #26 of 90
By the way, if smartphones are going to have 'team colour', which colour would be for each brand?

Apple - black?

Samsung -blue

LG - red and white

HTC - light green and white

Nokia - blue (lighter shade than Samsung)

Sony - black

Microsoft - quadcolour?

Google Nexus - red, blue and yellow

We should mock up flags as though they're countries… No clue what the use thereafter would be, but it'd be an interesting activity, at least. Kill some time before the keynote.

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
The lack of rumors here is extremely sad. Make me wonder if it is about to be replaced.

They just gave the case a redesign. I somehow doubt that; don't worry. We never hear anything about the Mac Mini. The aforementioned redesign not only came without rumor, it was a silent update from Apple; no event, no mention.

post #27 of 90
What did you do, punch it out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

My 2012 Quad Core i7 iMac has just bitten the bullet. Dead ram sticks, dead ram slots, damaged LCD display and the glass shattered into razor blades of death! Even before that happened something was wrong with the bluetooth and the EFI ROM (it stopped detecting connected disks - both internal and external).

Although I pretty much have to empty my ISA, I will end up having a next gen iMac for actual justified reasons rather than just wanting one.

Bitter sweet... victory?
post #28 of 90
Quote:

I won't be waiting for it. My iMac's logic board died in May and it was 7 years old anyway. Using my work laptop since...

post #29 of 90
Quote:

Apple - black?

I think Silver & Black would be more like it...

Which, parenthetically, are the "Team Colors" of the Oakland Raiders (just across the bay from Cupertino) - Remember that pirate flag over the design team building back during the dawn of Mac?

post #30 of 90
Quote:

On an earlier thread @Wizard69 postulated that Apple would release an updated 27" display with retina before an iMac 27" with retina...

This makes sense to me as it could address the "pro" needs while accommodating cost and yield issues.

I've been waiting for an iMac upgrade, and will replace my old Cinema Display too -- if the 27" display gets retina.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #31 of 90

I would like to see the iMacs retain their optical drives.  Like AjitMD, I think it would be great for watching DVDs.  There is plenty of space in an iMac, and making it a little smaller/lighter is not such a huge consideration as it is in something that you are going to carry around with you.  iMacs get moved once a year perhaps?  Even the non-retina MacBook Pros still have optical drives.  As such I don't think the iMac will lose its optical drive yet.

Also, Gustav, there are many people who don't watch much TV/Movies.  I know the average American watches 4 hours of TV per day, but I am lucky to watch that much in a month, as such, my biggest HDTV is a 19" 720p.  A 27 inch screen in a place like a bedroom is a decent size to watch the occasional movie.  There are plenty of titles on Netflix that are not available via streaming.

post #32 of 90
Quote:

The lack of rumors here is extremely sad. Make me wonder if it is about to be replaced. That would be a shame too because Ivy Bridge would make for a very interesting Mini update.

I don't see the Mini being replaced or dropped for a very long time.  It's the entry-level product, and while they don't hype it's release very often, it's the machine that gets low-spending PC users in the door...  Once they are hooked, we up-sell them to an iMac or MacBook.

Additionally, the Mini has become the new XServe for many small businesses...  It's the perfect server-box for anyone looking for basic server functionality, and at a bargain of a price too (I believe Windows Small Business Server is an $800 license -- compared to Apple's $30).

post #33 of 90

I'll be at the front of the queue, drooling, for a new 27" iMac to replace my 2007 20" iMac which 16yr old son will get.

post #34 of 90
Quote:

I have tons of DVDs. Besides, I remember recently reading about iTunes only being some kind of "rent" of movies. Can't give my DVD or resell it if I don't have a dvd but some iTunes pseudosale...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #35 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

Bitter sweet... victory?

That's....baaad...
Power surge maybe? I learned that lesson a while ago and it fried a G5 MacPro.
You did say 2012 so it's still guarrenteed and Apple let me upgrade when I returned a malfunctioning machine as new.
The isa is probably under performing anyway.
post #36 of 90
Quote:

I agree that the iMac 27" is great for watching videos and DVDs.

You can get an idea how video will exploit a retina display at:

http://michaelcioni.tumblr.com/post/19561057034/ipad-going-invisible

He has some files that you can download then display on a 27" iMac and compare it with the same files on a retina iPad...

As discussed in the article, retina brings a certain texture and presence to the images that you don't get on lower pixel densities.

The difference is noticeable -- even for these old eyes.

post #37 of 90

I just hope they do not remove the DVD drive, I know it not really need these days, but that is feature which I still use and have lots of CD and DVD with programs and such on and I am not going to put all that information in the cloud that is for sure.

post #38 of 90

Is the iMac an awesome machine?

Is it a good buy for, let's say, college? i would love one, but i just cannot afford them. However that screen is so beautiful already. Avengers would look great on that, especially Scarlet and her leather suit..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I just hope they do not remove the DVD drive, I know it not really need these days, but that is feature which I still use and have lots of CD and DVD with programs and such on and I am not going to put all that information in the cloud that is for sure.

I hope they do.. the opinion of a single user is irrelevant compared to the benefits of such measure. Remember, the iMac is more than a computer.. it's beauty in the form of a computer.

post #39 of 90
Quote:

As much as I love my MBA (with a 27" monitor at the office), there's still nothing like have a dedicated desktop machine.  I love my late 2009 i7 iMac and the extra horsepower it has.  When I work from home, it's still more pleasing to use, especially where graphics are concerned.

Hope you enjoy your new iMac when it comes out.  I'm eyeing an upgrade to mine as well.  I already have someone interested in buying my current iMac, but I'm also considering using it as a second display.

post #40 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frac View Post

That's....baaad...
Power surge maybe? I learned that lesson a while ago and it fried a G5 MacPro.
You did say 2012 so it's still guarrenteed and Apple let me upgrade when I returned a malfunctioning machine as new.
The isa is probably under performing anyway.

I think the EFI Might have been a power surge of some description. The iMac was on the same circuit as all my music production gear and synthesizers aren't exactly surge friendly.

Quote:

What did you do, punch it out?

Summersault off of a shitty desk. The desk had bowed and the stand on the iMac was slightly wonky. So it fell forward face first onto the desk, but it had enough weight and momentum to then slide off the desk and onto a laminate wood floor.

... at night.

... at night.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Launch of Apple's new iMac lineup is 'imminent' - report