or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Launch of Apple's new iMac lineup is 'imminent' - report
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Launch of Apple's new iMac lineup is 'imminent' - report - Page 2

post #41 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

My 2012 Quad Core i7 iMac has just bitten the bullet. Dead ram sticks, dead ram slots, damaged LCD display and the glass shattered into razor blades of death! Even before that happened something was wrong with the bluetooth and the EFI ROM (it stopped detecting connected disks - both internal and external).

Although I pretty much have to empty my ISA, I will end up having a next gen iMac for actual justified reasons rather than just wanting one.

Bitter sweet... victory?

seems more like user error. . . .
{2010 Mac Pro-6 core 3.33-12gb 1333 ram-ati5870-velociraptor 600's-SL/win7/64-Konnekt Live/Onkyo-Dell3007wfp}
{2008 Mac Pro-8 core 3.2's-16GB-evga285} {MBP17}{ipad}{iphone 4 blk16gb}
Reply
{2010 Mac Pro-6 core 3.33-12gb 1333 ram-ati5870-velociraptor 600's-SL/win7/64-Konnekt Live/Onkyo-Dell3007wfp}
{2008 Mac Pro-8 core 3.2's-16GB-evga285} {MBP17}{ipad}{iphone 4 blk16gb}
Reply
post #42 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Is the iMac an awesome machine?

Is it a good buy for, let's say, college? i would love one, but i just cannot afford them. However that screen is so beautiful already. Avengers would look great on that, especially Scarlet and her leather suit.

It is a great computer though you can't take it from class to class. If you have your own private dorm, I'd go for it.
post #43 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

But does anyone else think that people might hold off on it because it won't be getting a retina display?

I imagine so. I am definitely in the market for a 27" iMac and will be very torn if the new model is not retina. I am certain that if it does have a retina display a lot of people will upgrade earlier than usual. 

 

I love my late 2007 iMac - its my go to machine whenever I have a choice. 

post #44 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Whats the cost/benefit on retina iMacs? I mean I'd never go back to a non-retina phone or tablet on the iMac would it really be that noticeable? Aren't the iMacs well beyond HD anyway?

cost:benefit?  it's unknown, other than everyone who says they go retina hate when they look at the same presentation 'non-retina'. 

 

HD and retina are two different measures... HD is number of pixels (and whether they refresh each pixel or only 50% at a time [I/P]).

Retina is the pixel density... and whether the number of pixels/viewingangle is such that the retina can't 'see' a pixel (can't see the space between pixels).

 

The iMac being a desktop is considered to be a 28" viewing distance, and given that, the threshhold pixel density is 123PPI (see: http://actionatadistance.net/post/17211429061/retina-thunderbolt-display )  

 

As luck would have it, a Macbook Air 13.3" is 127PPI.   The question on cost is the manufacturing process of fusing 127dpi the same as 109?

 

Making the glass fused should improve some visual stuff, but would make the pixels more visible (less refraction, due to less glass).  Assuming that the cost is roughly the same, then it's really just a minor (<$100 cost) to create the screen... Then it's the cost of supporting it in HW (probably $15), and and SW (zero by default, but someone has to pay for all those new graphics at 'retina size' and do test viewing of the new geometries (4x a MBA13)

post #45 of 90

The problem as I see it is flagging sales.   Of course part of that is no real update long past the due date but I just don't see the Mini generating lots of interest anymore.

 

The problem is the iMac is not an up-sell for many of us, it is in fact totally unacceptable in its current form.   Mac Books are great if you want a laptop but they are hardly a desktop replacement and frankly the Mini barely gets by as a desktop machine.

 

As for functionality as a server the Mini just barely passes there.   The problem is it isn't readily repairable.   The Mini has a lot of great embedded uses but generally those are performance limited uses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcode View Post

 

I don't see the Mini being replaced or dropped for a very long time.  It's the entry-level product, and while they don't hype it's release very often, it's the machine that gets low-spending PC users in the door...  Once they are hooked, we up-sell them to an iMac or MacBook.

 

 

Additionally, the Mini has become the new XServe for many small businesses...  It's the perfect server-box for anyone looking for basic server functionality, and at a bargain of a price too (I believe Windows Small Business Server is an $800 license -- compared to Apple's $30).

post #46 of 90

Man that is sad to hear.    I had my MBP slide off a counter early in the year.   It now has a strip of bad pixels going up and down the screen.   I'm hoping it doesn't get worst as I'm trying to avoid another laptop buy this year.   It does make you feel a little twisted inside to pick things up off the floor.

 

Sadly you just gave me another reason not to buy an iMac.   A new screen would have been a cheap fix for a traditional desktop.   

Quote:
Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

I think the EFI Might have been a power surge of some description. The iMac was on the same circuit as all my music production gear and synthesizers aren't exactly surge friendly.

 

Summersault off of a shitty desk. The desk had bowed and the stand on the iMac was slightly wonky. So it fell forward face first onto the desk, but it had enough weight and momentum to then slide off the desk and onto a laminate wood floor.

post #47 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcode View Post

 

I don't see the Mini being replaced or dropped for a very long time.  It's the entry-level product, and while they don't hype it's release very often, it's the machine that gets low-spending PC users in the door...  Once they are hooked, we up-sell them to an iMac or MacBook.

 

Additionally, the Mini has become the new XServe for many small businesses...  It's the perfect server-box for anyone looking for basic server functionality, and at a bargain of a price too (I believe Windows Small Business Server is an $800 license -- compared to Apple's $30).

 

I hope you're right.  I have the first generation Mini Server with the Core2 Duo and would like to add another cheap client for the home office.  While an iMac is awesome, I think from now own I'm going to go the Mini route.  Apple seems to be in this mode of machines only lasting two years before they are no longer able to take full advantage of the next OS update.  I can justify/afford ~$700 every two years or so, a $1,700 iMac makes that a little harder to swallow.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgman View Post


seems more like user error. . . .

 

I think "they" forgot to mention they dropped it down a flight of steps just before that all happened...  ;-)

Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Reply
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Reply
post #48 of 90

Maybe we'll be surprised and in fact see Retina display iMacs...and for not much more money. 

 

I'm sure Apple has secured a lot of display panels to keep costs down. And while profit margin is important, this key product differentiation will sell that many more iMacs during the holiday season.

 

A new design can only go so far. Especially when many don't see any thing wrong with the current one.

A new form factor also needs a hook. And that would be the screen resolution. 

I mean what else can you do with a minimalist design that is almost perfect already.

 

And oh, I'd love to see a matte version offered. But I'm not holding my breath on that one.

post #49 of 90

Did anyone, having read prior 'new iMacs soon' stories from, say, August 31st or later, gleam any more information than what they had before reading todays article?  Like announcement date of Press Event?  Release date of Product?  Actual product specs?  Pricing? And that word in the headline, 'imminent'?

 

Launch of my next bowel movement is 'imminent' too, but I wouldn't say it's Marquee worthy.

/

/

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #50 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Man that is sad to hear.    I had my MBP slide off a counter early in the year.   It now has a strip of bad pixels going up and down the screen.   I'm hoping it doesn't get worst as I'm trying to avoid another laptop buy this year.   It does make you feel a little twisted inside to pick things up off the floor.

 

Sadly you just gave me another reason not to buy an iMac.   A new screen would have been a cheap fix for a traditional desktop.   

I still have cuts all over my fingers where I had to pick up the glass. The magnetic strip and the nails didn't help either.

 

I would've kept a desktop tower on my desk anyway - no room underneath it. But I think the main reason that it finally fell off was that the desk didn't have the support. I moved my synthesizer rack away from the desk as it was pressing right against it as I needed to feed some wires through. Didn't push it back, desk finally bowed that little bit more to make the iMac stand unstable. Fell forward. BAM!

... at night.

Reply

... at night.

Reply
post #51 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post


nd yet I suspect they will do it. AND the retina, which by the by is only around a 15% bump in pixels at most (do the math). But only to one model at this point and that will be a pro focused 27 inch. Basically what they did with the MBP.

 

While the MacBook Pro with Retina Display and its resolution might only be a bump of 15% compared to the current 27" iMac's resolution, if the 27" iMac gets a Retina Display, it will probably see a quadrupling of its pixels like every other device by Apple getting a Retina display, which means the resolution will be 5120 x 2880, which is 14.75 million pixels compared to the 5.2 million pixels on the MacBook Pro with Retina Display, thus the iMac would have 284 percent more pixels compared to the MacBook Pro with Retina Display.

post #52 of 90

Arrrrgh!!!! My iMac is 7 years old and I am waiting to upgrade - I wish Apple would release the new ones quickly. GrrrrH! All this waiting is making me really upset.

post #53 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I can't wait! It'll be my first direct desktop purchase since I started using notebooks way back in the late 90's.

I envy you!  I bought mine 15 months ago, so they'll be capable of making sushi for me by the time I'm ready again...always assuming they continue making them at all.

 

I have friends (not "insider" types, but original Apple users) who feel we'll see signs within the next 12-18 months that Apple will eventually (foreseeable future, not 2042AD) stop making desktop machines entirely.

 

But I don't think I'll ever be ready for that...

 

I like a lot of scout devices (not gadgets) buzzing around, but I always want my aircraft carrier/mothership hidden away in the den...

 

I guess that describes about where my head stopped growing.

post #54 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

As much as I love my MBA (with a 27" monitor at the office), there's still nothing like have a dedicated desktop machine.  I love my late 2009 i7 iMac and the extra horsepower it has.  When I work from home, it's still more pleasing to use, especially where graphics are concerned.

Hope you enjoy your new iMac when it comes out.  I'm eyeing an upgrade to mine as well.  I already have someone interested in buying my current iMac, but I'm also considering using it as a second display.

I have a 2011 iMac so no upgrade for me this year or next.

It's my very first iMac after years of looking down at all-in-ones as underpowered and unreliable. I'd been a pure desktop/tower guy since the early 1990s. I've never owned a Mac that didn't have at least one component upgraded from stock. These days upgrades are limited to just RAM and external HDs, but in the early days I went so far as soldering a faster clock chip on the logic board. I also built an entire Mac clone from parts I got from dumpsters, ebay and the left over parts from upgrading my other Macs.

 

I wish I had a 27" iMac on my desk at work too, but I sometimes work from home and it's easier to have a MacBook Pro so I can essentially take the office with me. I don't believe in having work email, files, apps or passwords on my home computer. The only personal files on the MBP are some favourite photos that I use for desktop pictures. Work is work, home is home and never the two shall mix.

post #55 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

Maybe we'll be surprised and in fact see Retina display iMacs...and for not much more money. 

 

I'm sure Apple has secured a lot of display panels to keep costs down. And while profit margin is important, this key product differentiation will sell that many more iMacs during the holiday season.

 

A new design can only go so far. Especially when many don't see any thing wrong with the current one.

A new form factor also needs a hook. And that would be the screen resolution. 

I mean what else can you do with a minimalist design that is almost perfect already.

 

And oh, I'd love to see a matte version offered. But I'm not holding my breath on that one.

 

Screen resolution is a tough sell.  The current screens are way nice.  102/109 vs the RD 'spec' of ~123.

 

If the lamination process lessens the thickness (ala what they are doing in the iPhone 5), then that's less refraction and a clearer screen as well.

 

iMacs are differentiated by Mac OS X.   I doubt the box shape and size  will do anything.

 

Price will be king.  Getting a 21" iMac under $1000 would be a great place to start ($899 for education, for those who can't move to iPads).

Apple doubling down on no built in DVDs,  adding a thunderbolt and USB3.0 is there game plan.

post #56 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnerlys View Post

 

While the MacBook Pro with Retina Display and its resolution might only be a bump of 15% compared to the current 27" iMac's resolution, if the 27" iMac gets a Retina Display, it will probably see a quadrupling of its pixels like every other device by Apple getting a Retina display, which means the resolution will be 5120 x 2880, which is 14.75 million pixels compared to the 5.2 million pixels on the MacBook Pro with Retina Display, thus the iMac would have 284 percent more pixels compared to the MacBook Pro with Retina Display.

 

 

I thought that too.  But that would be overkill an iMac.   I see that as a Cinema display for a Mac Pro (or a mac Mini;-).

post #57 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnerlys View Post

 

While the MacBook Pro with Retina Display and its resolution might only be a bump of 15% compared to the current 27" iMac's resolution, if the 27" iMac gets a Retina Display, it will probably see a quadrupling of its pixels like every other device by Apple getting a Retina display, which means the resolution will be 5120 x 2880, which is 14.75 million pixels compared to the 5.2 million pixels on the MacBook Pro with Retina Display, thus the iMac would have 284 percent more pixels compared to the MacBook Pro with Retina Display.

There's no way we're going to see a 5120 x 2880 display in the next year. That's too expensive to produce and requires way too much GPU and VRAM to drive it. The next iMac will be thinner than the current one. That doesn't leave room for the 300W graphics chip and huge cooling fans that would be needed to drive a display like that. Not to mention that the GPU alone would cost Apple close to $500.

 

My iMac may not have a retina display, but I sit roughly 1m from the screen so it appears that way to me. A small increase in resolution would make it so for all those who sit a little closer than I do.

 

The reason why I sit so far away is to reduce the intensity of reflections I see in the screen. It doesn't work completely, but as long I don't wear shirts with high contrast patterns or logos it's OK.

post #58 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

I still have cuts all over my fingers where I had to pick up the glass. The magnetic strip and the nails didn't help either.

 

I would've kept a desktop tower on my desk anyway - no room underneath it. But I think the main reason that it finally fell off was that the desk didn't have the support. I moved my synthesizer rack away from the desk as it was pressing right against it as I needed to feed some wires through. Didn't push it back, desk finally bowed that little bit more to make the iMac stand unstable. Fell forward. BAM!

 

Ouch. I'm typing this to you on a 21.5" 2011 iMac that did a somersault off of a lab bench. Shattered the glass but the LCD and all else works aside from a couple of dents in the case. Boots & runs fine.  Sorry your internals didn't survive. Usually these things are hardy.
 

post #59 of 90
I agree with the comments on no optical drive. Not only are certain things only available on DVD (e.g., instructional videos), but how would one burn their CDs to iTunes? Maybe I'm missing something. Also not sure what the advantage is to a USB boot.
post #60 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

On an earlier thread @Wizard69 postulated that Apple would release an updated 27" display with retina before an iMac 27" with retina...
This makes sense to me as it could address the "pro" needs while accommodating cost and yield issues.
I've been waiting for an iMac upgrade, and will replace my old Cinema Display too -- if the 27" display gets retina.


I can see that.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #61 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Not much more though (see my previous post) unless you sit close enough to get nose prints on the screen. I find watching HD on my 27" quite satisfying (true HD not YouTube crap).

Careful with that 'true hd' comment. Many folks will tell you if its not 1080p at BluRay bit rate and at least 5.1 audio then it's not HD. And you can only get that on a BluRay which don't play on Macs blah blah

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #62 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasiv View Post

I agree with the comments on no optical drive. Not only are certain things only available on DVD (e.g., instructional videos), but how would one burn their CDs to iTunes? Maybe I'm missing something. Also not sure what the advantage is to a USB boot.

The amount of stuff that is DVD only is slim compared to the whole and so is the audience for much of it.

The audience for a 27 inch slim line, SSD only, retina display iMac a kin to the retina MBP is mainly pros and they will have no issue buying a atandalone drive as its all write offs anyway.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #63 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

I have friends (not "insider" types, but original Apple users) who feel we'll see signs within the next 12-18 months that Apple will eventually (foreseeable future, not 2042AD) stop making desktop machines entirely.

Do they also think Apple will stop making Macs, too? I don't see it. There are plenty of reasons for people to have traditional "PCs". On top of that, the reason I'm buying a desktop for the first time in 15 years is because the iPad and iPhone make it possible for me to travel without requiring a portable Mac. Another reason is because of wanting additional screen real estate for Xcode but if that was the sole reason it would be much cheaper to just buy an external display for my MBP.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #64 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Is the iMac an awesome machine?

Is it a good buy for, let's say, college? i would love one, but i just cannot afford them. However that screen is so beautiful already. Avengers would look great on that, especially Scarlet and her leather suit...
My now apartment mate went back to dorm living during grad school he was an art history major who needed to replace a crazy old laptop anyway. He's not a huge gamer but what he plays is all in Steam and such and he wanted a bigger screen anyway. He had to have an iPad cause some of his classes demanded it and getting that, a laptop and a 27 inch scene seemed stupid so he just got the iMac. His tv was crap so he just used the computer for his DVDs as well. He said it was an okay arrangement

His advice is that it depends on your major etc

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #65 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

I have a 2011 iMac so no upgrade for me this year or next.

It's my very first iMac after years of looking down at all-in-ones as underpowered and unreliable. I'd been a pure desktop/tower guy since the early 1990s. I've never owned a Mac that didn't have at least one component upgraded from stock. These days upgrades are limited to just RAM and external HDs, but in the early days I went so far as soldering a faster clock chip on the logic board. I also built an entire Mac clone from parts I got from dumpsters, ebay and the left over parts from upgrading my other Macs.

 

I wish I had a 27" iMac on my desk at work too, but I sometimes work from home and it's easier to have a MacBook Pro so I can essentially take the office with me. I don't believe in having work email, files, apps or passwords on my home computer. The only personal files on the MBP are some favourite photos that I use for desktop pictures. Work is work, home is home and never the two shall mix.


All my files are stored in the cloud, and personal photographs are stored on an external NAS server, simply because I don't want any of that stuff residing on any machine.

My iMac or MBA can blow up and I wouldn't lose a thing.  Makes it really easy too to do clean installs of OSX when there is no data on it. :)

post #66 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

 

I hope you're right.  I have the first generation Mini Server with the Core2 Duo and would like to add another cheap client for the home office.  While an iMac is awesome, I think from now own I'm going to go the Mini route.  Apple seems to be in this mode of machines only lasting two years before they are no longer able to take full advantage of the next OS update.  I can justify/afford ~$700 every two years or so, a $1,700 iMac makes that a little harder to swallow.

 

 

I think "they" forgot to mention they dropped it down a flight of steps just before that all happened...  ;-)

 

I'm considering buying a Mini for the office so I don't have to carry my MBA back and forth.  And as far as machines only lasting two years for OS updates, my 2009 i7 iMac proves contrary to what you said.

post #67 of 90

A proper redesign might actually get me to change my mind on the iMac.    Retina in an iMac will be interesting, I think it would be a well worthwhile update but i'm not sure the technology is there yet.   However affordable screens can't be far away as the talk of 4K TV has exploded lately.   I see retina as a 50/50 possibility right now.

 

Apple has lost of option when it comes to improving the iMac screens even without going to a very high density display.   Better LCD technologies allow for improved image quality at lower power levels for one.   So retina or not I'm expecting a better screen.

 

I think you are wrong about a new design not going far.   I see just the opposite a new design could make the iMac a hell of a lot more appealing to a wider audience than the current one.   If they stress nothing more than service ability they will have accomplished much.   As far as i"m concerned the difficulty in access the power supply and the HD are significant shortcomings with respect to the iMac that make it a difficult purchase.    Beyond that there are a number of things wrong with the design.   iMac is a prime example of form winning over function.   I'd much rather see a fatter iMac that at least runs at a reasonable temperature than to see the current design continue.   One that does so while being easy to maintain.   

 

IMac is far from perfect.    I'm not sure where this nonsense comes from.   As to a matte version you just said the machine was almost perfect yet you are not happy with it.   So which is it.   I can tell you straight out it is far from perfect and frankly has been ignored for years in favor of design excellence in the laptop line.

Quote:o

Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

Maybe we'll be surprised and in fact see Retina display iMacs...and for not much more money. 

 

I'm sure Apple has secured a lot of display panels to keep costs down. And while profit margin is important, this key product differentiation will sell that many more iMacs during the holiday season.

 

A new design can only go so far. Especially when many don't see any thing wrong with the current one.

A new form factor also needs a hook. And that would be the screen resolution. 

I mean what else can you do with a minimalist design that is almost perfect already.

 

And oh, I'd love to see a matte version offered. But I'm not holding my breath on that one.

post #68 of 90
Here is to hoping for better thermal management without a DVD drive. Love the low noise, but I keep worrying that mine is going to have life-cycle heat related problems.
post #69 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

I have friends (not "insider" types, but original Apple users) who feel we'll see signs within the next 12-18 months that Apple will eventually (foreseeable future, not 2042AD) stop making desktop machines entirely.

Do they also think Apple will stop making Macs, too? I don't see it. There are plenty of reasons for people to have traditional "PCs". On top of that, the reason I'm buying a desktop for the first time in 15 years is because the iPad and iPhone make it possible for me to travel without requiring a portable Mac. Another reason is because of wanting additional screen real estate for Xcode but if that was the sole reason it would be much cheaper to just buy an external display for my MBP.

Preachin' to the choir, but, yes, it was Mac's of all non-portable types that they were positing.

And, you know, that 2042AD date may look good for it, but, like you, not ready to give up the desktop one just yet,

although for "portable" I go Air, just because I prefer the OS.

Wife loves her iPad, but I just haven't heard the song of that siren yet

(the wife's, yes...the iPad's, not so much).

post #70 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Here is to hoping for better thermal management without a DVD drive. Love the low noise, but I keep worrying that mine is going to have life-cycle heat related problems.

 

The new Ivy Bridge chipsets have all sorts of thermal management goodness built in, which should help with any heat issues.  The new processors are substantially more efficient as well.  Yanking the DVD should also make it easier to provide the internals with cooling, even if the case gets thinner.  Newer monitors tend to run cooler as well, as do newer hard drives (especially if they go with SSDs as standard equipment for the boot drive, which Apple just might).

post #71 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I can't wait! It'll be my first direct desktop purchase since I started using notebooks way back in the late 90's.

What makes you want this one? 2011 was the first year any of the notebooks felt fast enough to me to do any real (obviously from my perspective) work on a notebook form factor. I had a G4 powerbook for a little while around 2002-2004 before I returned to a desktop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


one big disappointment I have with the retina MBP is that they didn't leave room for a magnetic disk to supplement the SSD. It is a serious shortcoming in my mind.

This kind of goes along with what I always say. They're designed as very mass market devices. Apple wanted them to be thin and light, so they're pretty much packed. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


On an earlier thread @Wizard69 postulated that Apple would release an updated 27" display with retina before an iMac 27" with retina...
This makes sense to me as it could address the "pro" needs while accommodating cost and yield issues.
I've been waiting for an iMac upgrade, and will replace my old Cinema Display too -- if the 27" display gets retina.

I don't think the "pro needs" are really their focus, and the current thunderbolt display design is heavily weighted toward those who use it with their notebooks. What is interesting is that such pro needs are sometimes leveraged by incidental improvements. Even though Apple uses different backlighting, they made a true D65 sRGB display for the rMBP. The thunderbolt display is much closer, but I wonder if they'll go that route again as the current TB display is a bit colder. Apple has certain design priorities, and they've been able to use somewhat incidental improvements to further appeal to such markets without actively catering to them. There are displays with internal LUT systems to help stabilize their profiles over time. They're arguably a better match,, but the next generation of Apple displays may leverage a lot of their more cost conscious customers.

post #72 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

But does anyone else think that people might hold off on it because it won't be getting a retina display?

 

I won't wait for a retina iMac. I've been waiting over a year already to replace my 8,1 iMac.

post #73 of 90
This design revamp...is mere preview of the heavenly retina to come. It won't be a bad machine. And those who can't wait will have a decent machine.

Ivy Bridge? Be good if you're on a Core Duo machine like me.

GPu. Same. Faster than my 8800GS.

Expect 8 gigs of ram...of course. And options for 2 gigs of Vram...and a 7970m(?) GPU?

But if Mabooks are getting retina. imacs are a matter of time.

Haswell. ...retina. The gpus that are available next year? Maybe wait until next April-ish...

Surely 2013 is the one to get? For me...

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #74 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post


It is a great computer though you can't take it from class to class. If you have your own private dorm, I'd go for it.

 

Well duh it's not called a desktop computer because it's actually a laptop. You're comparing apples to oranges.

post #75 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

Maybe we'll be surprised and in fact see Retina display iMacs...and for not much more money. 

 

I'm sure Apple has secured a lot of display panels to keep costs down. And while profit margin is important, this key product differentiation will sell that many more iMacs during the holiday season.

 

A new design can only go so far. Especially when many don't see any thing wrong with the current one.

A new form factor also needs a hook. And that would be the screen resolution. 

I mean what else can you do with a minimalist design that is almost perfect already.

 

And oh, I'd love to see a matte version offered. But I'm not holding my breath on that one.

 

I think folks will be very surprised to see it and see the price. 

 

Why? Because they are falsely defining Retina as 'double the highest current resolution'. which is not true based on Apple's own published math. The amount they have to go up is less than 25%. Which might be very doable, especially on a fully tricked out for the high end user machine like the MBP version. 

 

And because the advance on the screen isn't that much the price of the display might not be that much higher. If they go all the way and add the SSDs etc THAT is what will raise the price. 

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #76 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I just hope they do not remove the DVD drive, I know it not really need these days, but that is feature which I still use and have lots of CD and DVD with programs and such on and I am not going to put all that information in the cloud that is for sure.

External drive, problem solved. DVD rental places still exist? I still sometimes buy DVD's in discount bins, but I haven't really cared too much building a collection since blueray came out, and Apple has never sold a blueray drive either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

I think the EFI Might have been a power surge of some description. The iMac was on the same circuit as all my music production gear and synthesizers aren't exactly surge friendly.

Summersault off of a shitty desk. The desk had bowed and the stand on the iMac was slightly wonky. So it fell forward face first onto the desk, but it had enough weight and momentum to then slide off the desk and onto a laminate wood floor.

See this is one of the areas that makes me think that there is a "too thin" point for desktops. The larger and lighter the screen, the more ease it has of falling face-forward, or backwards from things like your kids or pets running into the desk, or simply being spooked by something, or even earthquakes.

I believe that we probably won't see the iMac get any thinner short of switching back to all laptop parts, or iPad type parts. The Macbook Air, closed, is about as thin as you could make an iMac using just laptop parts. Desktop class CPU and GPU's still require a lot more thermal heat dissipation, that if they make it too thin, a hot-spot under the LCD glass will cause it to crack.
post #77 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

This design revamp...is mere preview of the heavenly retina to come. It won't be a bad machine. And those who can't wait will have a decent machine.
Ivy Bridge? Be good if you're on a Core Duo machine like me.
GPu. Same. Faster than my 8800GS.
Expect 8 gigs of ram...of course. And options for 2 gigs of Vram...and a 7970m(?) GPU?
But if Mabooks are getting retina. imacs are a matter of time.
Haswell. ...retina. The gpus that are available next year? Maybe wait until next April-ish...
Surely 2013 is the one to get? For me...
Lemon Bon Bon.

 

The current iMacs are already virtually "retina".  Doubling the pixel count would not only bloat the price to ridiculous levels, but would also place an impossible burden on the GPU. 

post #78 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post

What makes you want this one? 2011 was the first year any of the notebooks felt fast enough to me to do any real (obviously from my perspective) work on a notebook form factor. I had a G4 powerbook for a little while around 2002-2004 before I returned to a desktop.

It's just a trend that started in 2007 with the iPhone and finally reached maturity with the iPad in 2010. Between the two I simply no longer need a notebook to cart around, whic finally allows me to use a desktop as my "truck".

I've never had a problem with performance on my notebooks. My tasks have never been processor extensive. The real issue has been with storage capacity but even that fell away years ago. Even now I have an 80GB SSD as my boot/app drive and a 1TB HDD as my Home/Data drive in my 13" MBP. Love it! I hope Apple continues that option in the next iMac, or something equivalent.

To reiterate, it's the iDevices that are allowing me to no longer need a portable "PC", for a lack of a better term.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #79 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


It's just a trend that started in 2007 with the iPhone and finally reached maturity with the iPad in 2010. Between the two I simply no longer need a notebook to cart around, whic finally allows me to use a desktop as my "truck".
I've never had a problem with performance on my notebooks. My tasks have never been processor extensive. The real issue has been with storage capacity but even that fell away years ago. Even now I have an 80GB SSD as my boot/app drive and a 1TB HDD as my Home/Data drive in my 13" MBP. Love it! I hope Apple continues that option in the next iMac, or something equivalent.
To reiterate, it's the iDevices that are allowing me to no longer need a portable "PC", for a lack of a better term.

I'm planning on getting the updated iMac for the same reasons.  Really looking forward to it too!  I'm not concerned about a retina display.  I'm planning on getting the high end 21.5 inch.  I hope this new generation gives us no optical drive and an affordable HD plus SSD option.

A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #80 of 90
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post
The current iMacs are already virtually "retina".  Doubling the pixel count would not only bloat the price to ridiculous levels, but would also place an impossible burden on the GPU. 

 

Nope. Try again.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Launch of Apple's new iMac lineup is 'imminent' - report