or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › AppleInsider's New Look (This thread was about the first Huddler redesign)

AppleInsider's New Look (This thread was about the first Huddler redesign) - Page 6  

post #201 of 214

MacNN redesigned somewhat recently but did something really nice to accommodate their longtime readers by implementing the choice to switch among different layouts via a wrench & screwdriver icon on the menu bar. One can select a more compact "headlines" only view or even fully revert to the previous layout at legacy.macnn.com

Unfortunately, they are still not as reliably excellent a source of Apple news as AI. Would be fantastic if AppleInsider could implement something like this - my multi-day check-in habit would come right back ;)

post #202 of 214

And what exactly is AI doing to your browser history?

You go into the forums, maybe post a comment, navigate back to the home page, navigate around a little more, back to the home page, all the time using the browser back buttons to go back to the home page. Yet, when you get back there, you aren't on the same history link you were when you started out. Some of the articles you browsed earlier, and back-buttoned out of appear further down the list, and your original hit on the home page below those.

AI, I don't know what you are doing, but stop messing with people's browser history!

post #203 of 214

Anyone visit the Reviews page? 

I like that better than the main page (but what the frick do I know; I'm terrible at this stuff). Why couldn't the article column on the main page have been as wide as on the reviews page? No left bar.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #204 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Anyone visit the Reviews page? 

I like that better than the main page (but what the frick do I know; I'm terrible at this stuff). Why couldn't the article column on the main page have been as wide as on the reviews page? No left bar.

With the Archive View page, this is how wonderful it looks.…

post #205 of 214

Sorry, have to agree with the naysayers here. I've been coming to the site every day for years, it's the first Mac site I check. I doubt I will if it stays like this, however, just not easy to read, and very hard on the eyes.

Hopefully the feedback given in this thread might result in some acceptable changes, but I liked the old site just fine. It did a great job of conveying information efficiently and neatly.

post #206 of 214

Dear Administrator, 

A simple way to fix the new design is to move the left vertical ad space to the far right.

This is because the human eye needs a hard left margin to read text - which is why most text is 'ranged left'.

Unfortunately, the current design blurs the left margin with an advertisement that is often moving - which is further compounded by the moving advertisements above it.

In words, the eye cannot 'settle' to get its bearings on the page - its like watching a moving kaleidoscope - which explains much of the negative feedback you are getting.

You should also consider using a smaller, denser, darker type for the body copy - because the big light face is not ideal.

Finally, try to reduce the amount of white space. I know its very fashionable at the moment to have these spaciously airy web pages - but believe me, the only ones who appreciate it are the designers themselves (who love trends) - not the readers who have to scroll through it all. 

I have worked in visual design for decades, and for some of the largest corporations on earth - so these suggestions are well founded.

Your advertisers may not like these changes because it makes them slightly less prominent on the page.

But if you stay with the current design, you will lose so many readers over time that the advertisers will leave anyway.

So it's better to bite the bullet now.

Good luck with your deliberations.

post #207 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkikrome View Post

With the Archive View page, this is how wonderful it looks.…

*looks at the archive page*
Ahh, now that's the stuff.
*smiles*
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
post #208 of 214

Yep, I've started using solely the Archive page myself now...much much better.

post #209 of 214

Agreed..  I'm now switching my bookmark to the archive page.  It's not as good as it was before, but at least it's useable..  

http://appleinsider.com/archives/

post #210 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Fix View Post

Agreed..  I'm now switching my bookmark to the archive page.  It's not as good as it was before, but at least it's useable..  

http://appleinsider.com/archives/

I'm glad my tip is being useful to others.  I'm curious how many hits the main page gets vs. the archive page now.  lol

post #211 of 214

FWIW, I've found a great way to deal with the new design that has enabled me to come back fully to AppleInsider. You guys all probably already know this but on the off chance not...

With Safari plus the Quickstyle extension http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/39016/quickstyle and about 5 minutes of fiddling around with the CSS, one can easily remove, or correct, all the major flaws of the recent redesign. Just a few instances of display:none; some tweaks of the fonts and div widths, and suddenly there's a permenantly beautiful AI with no more annoying carousel, no more disturbing left-navigation and smaller, more readable news headlines - just good old awesome AppleInsider content. There are probably other ways to the same end but this one sure is quick, easy and effective.

It feels so nice to be able to come back here every day again! (After just a couple day Macnn.com proved to be a totally insufficient replacement for my AI addiction)

Now, where's my Apple HDTV!?

post #212 of 214

Thanks for the Archives tip, I'm bookmarking that. The only reason why I went to AI first instead of other rumor sites is that it displayed several headlines at once, versus just one. Can you imagine CNN with just one blog story taking up the entire site? How about just two? That's what AI is now.

post #213 of 214

On an iOS device, the new site does not work. It stutters all over the place, can lock the screen and entering text is a nightmare. I use an iPad 1 and 3 and an iPhone 4s, all on ios 5. 

The the admin: check my usage since the new site. You will see its down about 90%. If that was your objective, you have succeeded. 

post #214 of 214

Thread locked to prevent confusion due to the superseding redesign. 

Comments about the current (as of November 2, 2012) desktop design of AppleInsider should go here: 

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/154025/huddler-redesign-2-electric-boogaloo

Comments about the current (as of November 2, 2012) mobile design of AppleInsider should go here: 

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/153920/appleinsider-mobile-version-feedback

Edited by Tallest Skil - 11/2/12 at 3:11pm

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Feedback
This thread is locked  
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › AppleInsider's New Look (This thread was about the first Huddler redesign)