or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › AppleInsider's New Look (This thread was about the first Huddler redesign)

AppleInsider's New Look (This thread was about the first Huddler redesign) - Page 2  

post #41 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by WriterDude View Post

I completely agree - the main page update is outstanding.

Thus why you are writerdude and not designerdude. You don't know what useable design actually looks like

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #42 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

AIEEEE!!!

Comments no longer jumps into the forum?! Bleh!

Click on View All.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #43 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by oseame View Post

I thought AI had been hacked or something. Oh well, I suppose I'll get used to it...

hah same here, I'm sure the IP has been hijacked in the past.

Nice clean new look, think I like it.

post #44 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by einsteinbqat View Post

True, but it looks better than the Forums

Disagree 100%.  It's so much easier to skim and read the forums, than the new main page texts.

post #45 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
There is too much white space in the forums:
Originally Posted by marcusj0015 View Post
OH yeah totally. the forums shouls also be center aligned.

Under "Edit Account Details" on your username's page:

Ugh, you're kidding, right?  Is this some new trend, I'm going to have to start going in and setting view preferences on every site I visit?  And why shouldn't the basic default view be the best one, anyway? 

post #46 of 214

Looks flat and unfinished. I find the ads annoying when trying to read headlines in the front page. The ads are everywhere. Use some light gray to distinguish different parts of the page.

post #47 of 214

loads faster.  good job.

post #48 of 214

The site sucked before, it sucks even more now.

post #49 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by RokkBandit View Post

I created an account just to inform whoever's running this site that I will no longer be visiting it. I'm sick and tired of my favorite websites all over the web (IGN, Gizmodo) and now AppleInsider succumbing to such unbearable design choices. Your old layout was absolutely perfect, with the right mix of content per capita and substance over style. I have zero interest in viewing 24-Point font on an atrocious white background with a cluttered mix of irrelevancy all around it. Blogs should be about the articles and you've ruined everything. Goodbye AppleInsider.

Are you crazy? It's called Good Design, AppleInsider was stuck in the nineties, and if you don't appreciate good design, frankly you shouldn't be on an Apple fan site in the first place.
post #50 of 214

This format a rough draft?

Woah!

New format...too BUSY!

I did not have an adblock in place and got flashed all

over.  Also, half the paragraphs in the top article are center

justified instead of left

justified.  Overall, I'm finding this harder to

read, and the headlines are getting lost in the

fray.  I don't mind a refresh after

many years, but this...? --Not good.

post #51 of 214
AI's new design hurts my eyes.
post #52 of 214

I do not like the new look.  The menu bar and the font choices are just fine, it's the layout that I am not happy with. The new design is just too cluttered. The articles lose there focus due to being smothered in an advertisement sandwich. I can't stand static width designs, they just waste usable space. The new look just seems to crush everything to the center and it is no longer pleasant to the eye. The old layout was much better, albeit a bit dated. I have been a faithful AppleInsider reader for many years. I come here for the articles, but now the actual content seems to have taken a backseat to clutter and Ads. Please rethink the design.

post #53 of 214

Poison my eyes. Thats alot of white. But I love the new look.

One thought he was invincible... the other thought he could fly.

They were both wrong.

One thought he was invincible... the other thought he could fly.

They were both wrong.

post #54 of 214
I always find it so pathetic when a website just changes without consulting their readers or informing them they are doing so. How about a survey or two to get feedback on a design that they want. And when a design has been made you inform your readers and then explain why you've changed. Simple change management would rectify many issues with reader.

I find this new design to be nicer than the grey previously but extremely cluttered thanks to ads
post #55 of 214

New home page look

The new home page makes me wish there was ad-block for ios; it never used to bother me, however now it's like the entire home AI page is all ads.

I think it sucks.

ps. I'm not against the site paying its bills though some ads; however now when it's almost hard to discern the posted news from the ads; it's to much.
post #56 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomChaos View Post

Old vs New - look at the wasted space on my MacBook, and how many fewer articles I can see. From 11 articles to 3 articles!

I came here to say exactly this.  I'm on a 27" 1920x1200 monitor, and I feel like I'm using a low resolution laptop screen trying to read AppleInsider now.  I've always preferred it to any other sites, but it's nigh unusable with this layout.  I'll have to switch to reading via RSS, which I have avoided because I wanted to help support by viewing the ads.

post #57 of 214

Very inefficient use of space and it squanders my time scrolling. Fail.

Try again or better yet, go back to the old look.

post #58 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimMok View Post

Poison my eyes. Thats alot of white. But I love the new look.

I agree. There is a lot of good here but the white is overpowering.

post #59 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusj0015 View Post

Are you crazy? It's called Good Design, AppleInsider was stuck in the nineties, and if you don't appreciate good design, frankly you shouldn't be on an Apple fan site in the first place.

The new design is beautiful.  But it's not very usable.  It looks fantastic, but the articles lose focus and I can only see about 3 articles at a time on a 1920x1200 monitor now.

post #60 of 214

I don't like it, but that's fine. plenty of other mac sites out there with good layouts.

post #61 of 214
Sweet, finally Ai has a new comment
Section for mobiles. Looks great and
Is so much easier on the iPhone or any
Mobile I guess.
post #62 of 214
Note to AI admins/writers. The next time you make a major overhaul to the site you might want to make an article heading for it with a link to a forum thread so that members use the appropriate thread for talking about the new look, and not posting it randomly in the next tech-based article thread they visit.

post #63 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimk69 View Post

Sweet, finally Ai has a new comment
Section for mobiles. Looks great and
Is so much easier on the iPhone or any
Mobile I guess.
Damn, I take half of that back.
I guess it only shows a few of the top posts
Before having to go to another hard to
Read page on an iPhone.
Still pretty cool though.
It's a lot better actually. Thank u Ai
post #64 of 214

Don't worry about the forum skinning, I took care of it. It will match the fresh, hip new look of the front page that was beautifully conceived by the team at gesamtbild.

The main topic can go right here,

While the subject can go right here. If the content fills up this area,

it can go below two rows of advertisements. So long as there's still some room, why not remind visitors to

Out-hip your Facebook friends and

Become a fan today!
post #65 of 214

It's terrible and literally bludgeoning people over the head with ten ads on the front page is ridiculous. Use half as many and they will actually get noticed more. People tune overbearing and broad things out much more easily than focused items.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #66 of 214

Just got back from a meeting and was greeted by the new look. I think it's gorgeous! Streamlined, airy, readable, classy, modern. Nice job.

post #67 of 214

change it back..or make it DARKER...my eyes !!!

post #68 of 214

Way too much advertising. I understand the purpose of ads on a webpage. I even enjoy the ads that AI displays because they're usually stuff I care about—but it feels like fully half of the space I'm looking at is trying to get me to buy something. Not enough emphasis on content. I'd like to be able to read the articles without having my focus so distracted. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad on a smaller monitor, but on a 27", it's overwhelming.

post #69 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recronin View Post

Don't worry about the forum skinning, I took care of it. It will match the fresh, hip new look of the front page that was beautifully conceived by the team at gesamtbild.

Out-hip your Facebook friends and

Become a fan today!

Makes you wonder who Quiller Media is. Is Jeffrey Valvano our new owner?

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #70 of 214

i loved the old site. it was very easy to read and navigate.

the new one looks bad to me. its way too narrow and has too much stuff on each side.

i get a headache looking at it. which means i probably won't be reading it much more.

post #71 of 214

AppleInsider New Design

I was shocked when I saw AIs new layout and identity.

- much longer load times, all pages significantly larger

- less information on the overview/article pages

- no support for Apple Safari Reader functionality

and the question is: WHY! This site is about content, not about fancy-looking HTML-5 gibberish. Any good reason why to optimize away efficiency?

I've been a daily reader for years; this is a lot less joyful now, I'll think it over or check out what other sites have similar information, but more simplistic layout and design.

Florian.

post #72 of 214

Yikes.

The new site design is embarrassingly bad. The little sliding slide show is especially terrible.

The old design wasn’t going to win any beauty contests, but it wasn’t offensive.

It’s 2012, most people have displays wider than 800 pixels, it might be smart to look into a responsive design.

post #73 of 214
OT, but... How did AI manage to make the website so much worse? Thank god for Adblock, but it is a shame that the site is so bad.
post #74 of 214

MAKE THE HEADLINES SMALLER!

Modernized layout sorely overdue but OVERSIZED headlines gauche eyesore designed to exploit readers to sell more ad space. 

post #75 of 214
I tend to agree. Too much white spaces with left column seems a bit empty. Made worse especially by the rolling news headline at the top which aligned with that said left column (graphics for reviews, hot topic and social buttons). Side note, site was designed in Germany?
post #76 of 214

I loved the old layout, and feel so calmed here in the soothingly grey forums after experiencing the glare of the main news pages.  Please reconsider / revise.  Too many ads, or so it seems.  What I do like are the links to associated stories on same topic.  Harder to read!  Who ever told you a lot of white space was a good thing.  It is not. 

post #77 of 214

everything is cool just make it a little bit less White ...

It is a very high contrast !!

A little more grey will be good for eyes :)

post #78 of 214

+1 for the older was a bit better in terms of Colors :)

and i am unaware why my right click gives me a paste option in this editor  xD

post #79 of 214

Well, that was a bit of a shock. I like it though. I know I'm going against the tide here but I do like the new look. I find it clean and modern. As for too much white space, I attribute that to very effective ad blocking in my browser. Am I correct in saying there is no Java or Flash? I hope so. Make note of the criticisms and suggestions but don't make any quick changes yet. Give folks a chance to get acclimated to the new look.

"You can't fall off the floor"   From 128k Mac to 8GB MBP

"You can't fall off the floor"   From 128k Mac to 8GB MBP

post #80 of 214

I think the strength of this site is it's discussions, which are of higher quality than Macrumors, and have more informed Apple fans. The articles frankly are not a strength. It's the discussions that keep people coming back and viewing those all important ads. 

So while the new design looks better (in my opinion) it should emphasize the discussions and de-emphasize the articles, but unfortunately they have done the opposite.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Feedback
This thread is locked  
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › AppleInsider's New Look (This thread was about the first Huddler redesign)