or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Huge sales but no big surprises expected from Apple's 'iPhone 5'

Huge sales but no big surprises expected from Apple's 'iPhone 5'

post #1 of 64
With the anticipated unveiling of the next iPhone this week, Apple is expected to bring about the biggest launch in the history of consumer electronics, though a plethora of leaked parts and information mean there probably won't be any big surprises.

Analyst Brian White with Topeka Capital Markets said in a note to investors on Monday that he believes Apple's so-called "iPhone 5" will be the biggest upgrade in the history of consumer electronics. He believes Apple could sell between 10 million and 12 million units of the new iPhone to be sold in Apple's current fiscal quarter, which concludes at the end of September.

Chris Whitmore of Deutsche Bank also expects the new iPhone will represent the most significant handset upgrade to date from Apple, with an expected LTE 4G radio, larger 4-inch display, and a redesigned form factor.

Deutsche

"We expect this feature set to drive a massive refresh cycle which should be reflected in Apple's valuation over time," he said. "In short, we'd use any weakness in AAPL around the iPhone 5 event as a buying opportunity."

Any weakness in the company's stock this week may come from a lack of surprises in the unveiling of the new iPhone. Whitmore said with all the leaked information leading up to Wednesday's keynote, it "appears unlikely that Apple will positively surprise on iPhone 5's feature set."

With production of the new iPhone believed to be ramping up overseas, this year a significant number of leaks have shown what is expected to be the new iPhone's design, including the taller 4-inch display and the smaller 9-pin dock connector. The back of the new iPhone has been shown to have a new two-toned design featuring aluminum and glass.

Parts claimed to be for the new iPhone have even been photographed in detail side by side with Apple's existing iPhone 4S, iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS handset designs. They have shown that the new iPhone will be even thinner than its predecessors.

Deutsche Bank's research found that previous iPhone announcements had a small impact on Apple's share price. On average, the stock was up 1 percent the day after an announcement, up 1 percent five trading days after, and down 2 percent a month afterward.

But in the longer term, Apple's share price was up an average of 3 percent three months after an iPhone announcement, and a whopping 24 percent six months following the unveiling of a new iPhone.
post #2 of 64
No surprise to forum goers? Probably not.

Surprises for the bulk of the market (that doesn't play on tech forums)? Absolutely. It's the same thing every year. Parts leak, rumours (seem to) tell all, lineups ensue.
post #3 of 64
If they were expected, they wouldn't be big surprises, would they?
post #4 of 64

Regardless of what is going to be announced on Wednesday, I wouldn't go near an iPhone 5 with 10 foot pole. I love my 4S and I honestly believe that it is the best phone they have ever designed. The two-tone design on the back is a mistake (or the best run hoax on Apple part ever, I hope). 4 inches of screen real estate is too much and if the photos that have leaked out are to be believed, it just looks like the iPhone has been horribly stretched.

That and the fact that 4G LTE is only in its infancy doesn't make this phone upgrade worthy. Come and see me when the iPhone 6 or 6S is released...

post #5 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ombra2105 View Post

Regardless of what is going to be announced on Wednesday, I wouldn't go near an iPhone 5 with 10 foot pole. I love my 4S and I honestly believe that it is the best phone they have ever designed. The two-tone design on the back is a mistake (or the best run hoax on Apple part ever, I hope). 4 inches of screen real estate is too much and if the photos that have leaked out are to be believed, it just looks like the iPhone has been horribly stretched.

That and the fact that 4G LTE is only in its infancy doesn't make this phone upgrade worthy. Come and see me when the iPhone 6 or 6S is released...

Said from the man with 1 year left on his contract. I said the same thing about the 4S last year lol.gif

post #6 of 64
Hating the Helvetica Neue Light as the article font. Feel like I can't read a damn thing without going back over it six times.
post #7 of 64
Quote:
If they were expected, they wouldn't be big surprises, would they?

Exactly what I was thinking.

post #8 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by daratbastid View Post

Said from the man with 1 year left on his contract. I said the same thing about the 4S last year lol.gif

Yeah...and with my 3GS....it is just time for a new phone.

post #9 of 64

The BIG surpise is IPHONE 5 will come to CHINA MOBILE!!! WOW!

post #10 of 64

i am baffled by comments like "The two-tone design on the back is a mistake" or knocking the way the bottom of the phone looks....who the          sits around all the time looking at the back of their phone??

just saying...yes i agree each to their own

Edited by Michael Roe - 9/10/12 at 10:01am
post #11 of 64

I never buy my iPhones on contract. I always pay the full price for the phone (the 4S is my second iPhone) because trying to get out of contract in the UK is nasty. There's no early exit fee of $300 and call it a day like in the USA; here we pay off the rest of the contract in full if we want to get out early.

Furthermore, I have a general rule about upgrades: when my iPhone no longer receives iOS updates or the phone becomes unbearable to use because the hardware can't keep up with the software I will then consider an upgrade and only if the upcoming iOS upgrade has a killer new feature that I would find useful.

From a design standpoint, and unless Apple has run the most successful hoax ever, I feel like Sir Jonathan has succumbed to peer pressure with this upcoming iPhone. It has everything the competition has and it feels like any innovation has to come from Scott Forstall's team. Apple doesn't feel like a market leader anymore...

post #12 of 64
I think I am going to pass for at least couple more years.
Refuse to upgrade until fat bezels and the home button are gone.
I wish that case size is back to normal (hate the fact it wont fit a pocket of a shirt) but that might never happen.
post #13 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

Hating the Helvetica Neue Light as the article font. Feel like I can't read a damn thing without going back over it six times.

That font-family has very tight tracking. They need to add letter-spacing = '.06em';

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #14 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

I think I am going to pass for at least couple more years.
Refuse to upgrade until fat bezels and the home button are gone.
I wish that case size is back to normal (hate the fact it wont fit a pocket of a shirt) but that might never happen.

In regards the bezel and the Home button you will be waiting for many many many years (it won't happen). 

Also ... who puts their iPhone in their shirt pocket?  WTF?

post #15 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

No surprise to forum goers? Probably not.
Surprises for the bulk of the market (that doesn't play on tech forums)? Absolutely. It's the same thing every year. Parts leak, rumours (seem to) tell all, lineups ensue.

It may be my imagination but it seems to me that forum rumours are increasingly spilling into mainstream news. 

post #16 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

It may be my imagination but it seems to me that forum rumours are increasingly spilling into mainstream news. 

Well, Apple's the largest company in the world now, so every move--or rumors of moves--will be mainstream news.

post #17 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

lol... I thought the same thing

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #18 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Roe View Post

i am baffled by comments like "The two-tone design on the back is a mistake" or knocking the way the bottom of the phone looks....who the          sits around all the time looking at the back of their phone??

Well, if we appreciate Apple it's also for their attention to detail. Even if you don't agree with him, saying that you don't care about the back is hardly an argument here. Someone else could argue that they don't care what their phone looks like at all, to each its own.

post #19 of 64
Quote:

"....................

From a design standpoint, and unless Apple has run the most successful hoax ever, I feel like Sir Jonathan has succumbed to peer pressure with this upcoming iPhone. It has everything the competition has and it feels like any innovation has to come from Scott Forstall's team. Apple doesn't feel like a market leader anymore...

I'm with you on this. I'm flabbergasted at Leonardo not having one-upped himself in over half a millennium on La Gioconda, and Sir Jonathan...in over seven hundred and sixty days on the iPhone. Those are big numbers...! ...shame on you artists and creators, ...for not wanting to give we, the eyes of the beholder, the time of day...!
post #20 of 64
Quote:

In regards the bezel and the Home button you will be waiting for many many many years (it won't happen). 

Yeah, he can wait for that, imo bezel might get slimmer on the sides, but the home button will never disappear.

post #21 of 64

I put my iPhone in my shirt pocket every single day, never had a problem fitting it in.

iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #22 of 64
I'm more excited about iOS 6 than the new phone. I'm hoping we see a release of that on Wed too.
post #23 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I put my iPhone in my shirt pocket every single day, never had a problem fitting it in.

Not until iPhone-5, unless a pocket is deep you won't be able to fit it without top (or bottom) side being exposed.

post #24 of 64

Blah blah blah, stale bread, cheese, and whine. You want to buy a new phone with a new design every three months, buy Android. You'll actually get software updates that way.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #25 of 64
Quote:

The same ones that used to put their graphing calculators (and before that, slide rules) there? lol.gif

post #26 of 64
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Yeah, he can wait for that, imo bezel might get slimmer on the sides, but the home button will never disappear.

I believe that the next iPhone redesign will loose the Home button as we know it. 

Apple simply won't have a choice.  It is really sad that it has not happened now simultaneously with screen size update.

post #27 of 64
Quote:

This is the reason I'm waiting another year or my contract to officially end. I have LTE on my iPad but a good 75% of the time it isn't available. And I'm in a major city (Los Angeles). I expect that went we are in the open desert filming. But in LA proper, wtf?

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #28 of 64

I don't have an iPhone this cycle, but I can keep my Galaxy Nexus -- with a much bigger screen (the main reason I switched away from Apple), although almost no bezel -- in most of my shirt pockets. I mainly do so when driving or walking, because it's easier to feel the vibrating ringer and easier to get at the phone if I do need to answer. 

Now if only my iPad would fit into some piece of clothing...someday Apple will make them collapsible!

post #29 of 64
I believe that the next iPhone redesign will loose the Home button as we know it. Apple simply won't have a choice.

Complete nonsense.

It is really sad that it has not happened now simultaneously with screen size update.

It's really sad that you keep repeating this terrible idea despite having been proven wrong.

post #30 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I tried that a few times - but its the best way of dropping your iPhone... tie shoe laces, pick up car keys you just dropped, scratch anywhere below the knee, plug something into a wall socket, etc etc. Unless of course you have a nifty little Velcro case for your iPhone (please tell me you don't).

post #31 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Complete nonsense.

It's really sad that you keep repeating this terrible idea despite having been proven wrong.

Ok, I am going to shut up on this topic till two year later lol.gif

post #32 of 64
Ok, I am going to shut up on this topic till two year later lol.gif

Or at least until we start seeing pictures for the next one. lol.gif

post #33 of 64
The two tone design matches the front, which is two tOned by the screen, which when off, is a different color than the top and bottom. That makes good design coherence IMHO.
post #34 of 64
Quote:

lol.gif rolleyes.gif eek.gif confused.gif shakehead.gif

post #35 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

The two tone design matches the front, which is two tOned by the screen, which when off, is a different color than the top and bottom. That makes good design coherence IMHO.

Nope they don't match at least in dimensions. But if the screen matched it it would have been a perfect phone with a perfect symmetry. 

Well, I am I talking about bezels again, shutting up.

Edited by jason98 - 9/10/12 at 10:36am
post #36 of 64
Sadly, I will not be joining the iPhone 5 party. I'm giving the Windows 8 / Windows Phone 8 ecosystem a try for the next 24 months. Everything including my email and cloud services are going to be owned by Microsoft. Should be an interesting experiment...
post #37 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waverunnr View Post

Sadly, I will not be joining the iPhone 5 party. I'm giving the Windows 8 / Windows Phone 8 ecosystem a try for the next 24 months. Everything including my email and cloud services are going to be owned by Microsoft. Should be an interesting experiment...

RIP

post #38 of 64

I have been thinking about this a bit since the new iPad was announced as "the new iPad" instead of the "iPad 3".

Apple, obviously, made an overt effort to remove the generational number from the iPad... similar to the way Apple names other products -- it's an iMac 27" not an iMac 27" 2 (or 2012), and a MacBook Air...

Why would they do that?  

I can think of several reasons:

• delink the device from a presumed [annual] release cycle
  • allow [more] configuration/bundling options within the device 
  • delink the device from major technology availability
  • allow intermediate upgrades
  • allow more flexibility in manufacturing, distribution and pricing
  • be more aggressive competitively

You can probably think of a few other reasons.

It will be interesting if the Wednesday announcement includes the "the new iPhone"  or the "iPhone 5" (6, or whatever).

Edited by Dick Applebaum - 9/10/12 at 11:17am
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
post #39 of 64
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
lol.gif rolleyes.gif eek.gif confused.gif shakehead.gif

The idea, which you apparently don't know, is that the top and bottom bezels of the iPhone can be removed entirely, as can the Home Button. 

post #40 of 64
Quote:

Complete nonsense.

Where have we heard this before?  Oh ya... about being named the iPhone 5.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Huge sales but no big surprises expected from Apple's 'iPhone 5'