or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iCloud › Apple enhancing iCloud with new web apps, Lost Mode for iOS 6
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple enhancing iCloud with new web apps, Lost Mode for iOS 6

post #1 of 39
Thread Starter 
Apple is upgrading or expanding five web apps in its online iCloud portfolio, in preparation for iOS 6 which is expected to be unveiled on Wednesday.

All new Notes, Reminders apps



First revealed in May, Apple's beta iCloud testing ground has been putting the finishing touches on new Notes and Reminders apps.

The new apps are virtually identical to their iOS and OS X Mountain Lion siblings. The new Reminders web app (shown below) offers a cloud-based version of events synced with iOS mobile devices and desktop Macs, although it does not support location based reminders (simply ignoring any "geofence" reminder settings triggered to go out when entering or leaving a particular location).



Notes gets a similar web treatment (below), although unlike its iOS and OS X counterparts, there's no way to change the default font from Noteworthy. Notes on the web also reflects the stitched leather binding of its iOS counterpart rather than the plainer version in OS X.



Refreshed Mail, Calendar apps



In addition to the two new apps, iCloud Mail and Calendar are both getting minor updates. The new Mail (below) adds support for VIP inboxes introduced in Mountain Lion's Mail this summer.



Mail also uses iOS style scroll bars that are skinnier and translucent, in strange contrast to iCloud's Calendar app, which continues to use a standard scroll bars with a full gutter and arrow buttons (below, in contrast to the modern scroll bars in Safari next to them).



The only apparent change in Calendars is the removal of the Reminders list, which is now its own app. Similarly, the iCloud Contacts app hasn't changed at all, so it retains the odd "bookmark" control for accessing contact groups that Apple has removed from both the OS X and iOS 6 versions of the app.

Also left apparently unchanged is Apple's support for saving and accessing iWork documents from the web (below). Overall, the company's web strategy for iCloud seems very conservative, given that both Google and now Microsoft have made web versions of their office apps a prominent part of their software strategy.



Expectations that Apple would also rush to bring document editing to the web have been completely wrong. Instead, the company has focused on native apps for both OS X and iOS, although it hasn't released a significantly new version of iWork for OS X since the '09 versions launched nearly three years ago. It has, however, added a variety of important features, with pioneering iCloud document support among the most obvious.

On page 2 of 2: New Lost Mode for iOS 6 devices

New Lost Mode for iOS 6 devices



One final feature Apple has added to iCloud's web portfolio is a new "Lost Mode" within Find My iPhone. The new feature is an enhancement over the previous version, which only offers to lock the device and optionally send it a message.

If your iOS 6 device goes missing, you can click on Lost Mode and the app prompts you to enter a phone number and message, locks the device remotely and will track the device every time it moves, reporting changes in location via email updates. It will also draw each location change on the map, showing a trail of where the device has shown up.





Devices that haven't yet upgraded to iOS 6, along with Macs registered to use iCloud's Find My Mac (below), continue to support the old Lock feature, without updates or live tracking.



Notably, Apple is still using Google Maps within iCloud rather than its own Maps that will launch with the new iOS 6 update later this week. The company may transition over to its own map services at some point.
post #2 of 39
This is great news for consumers.
post #3 of 39

Could we have a 'Stolen mode', please?

 

You know, where we can take a picture from the front/rear cameras...you know, like Prey?

post #4 of 39
Looking great, but I can't wait for them to add the two big ones:

(1) iMessage
(2) Streaming from my 'iTunes in the Cloud'
post #5 of 39
Originally Posted by aerocowboy View Post
Looking great, but I can't wait for them to add the two big ones:
(1) iMessage

 

That's not going to happen.

post #6 of 39
@cgj

You mean new Stolen Mode, where you get the ability to send an electric shock remotely when the phone detects its been placed in a pocket near the person's genitals?
Android: pitting every phone company in the world against one, getting a higher number, and considering it a major achievement.
Reply
Android: pitting every phone company in the world against one, getting a higher number, and considering it a major achievement.
Reply
post #7 of 39
Originally Posted by GTR View Post
…you get the ability to send an electric shock remotely when the phone detects its been placed in a pocket near the person's genitals?

 

Go big or go home. Have the battery short itself and explode. lol.gif

post #8 of 39

I'd still like to see iTunes Match improvements.  Specifically, stop streaming censored versions of my songs that aren't censored.   

post #9 of 39
Great features and updates. I like that we can save our txt files to iCloud, it would be even nicer if the txt editor app became a notes app so you could sync with the cloud and your iDevices. Currently I can't access them unless I have my MBP with me.
post #10 of 39
New Stolen Mode: To be able to travel back in time so I can put right what once went wrong.
post #11 of 39
I still find it hard to believe that they are updating the Notes app yet again and still sticking with that hideous yellow foolscap paper with no option to change it to anything else.

The intense ugliness of the Notes app is pretty much the only reason that the app store is flooded with alternatives. You don't see half as many alternatives for any other iOS system app.

Especially considering the rather tasteful paper they use for "Reminders" this situation is an absolute travesty IMO. White paper, just plain old white paper, that's all I (and thousands of others) are asking for!
post #12 of 39
I don't use iTunes Match so they stream censored songs, really WTF. Its your media, your device and your data plan yet Apple is telling you what you can and cannot listen to. I wonder if Amazon does that . . .
post #13 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by eksodos View Post

This is great news for consumers.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGJ View Post

Could we have a 'Stolen mode', please?

 

You know, where we can take a picture from the front/rear cameras...you know, like Prey?

 

"Lost" is just an engaging way of telling a thief that you know he has your iPhone.

 

I wish you could:

  1. set a passcode of longer than 4 digits and allow alphameric
  2. override a passcode already stored on the device

 

But this is great -- the iPhone is thief-bait...  This will make it a lot less attractive to thieves.

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #14 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
     Originally Posted by aerocowboy View Post
     Looking great, but I can't wait for them to add the two big ones: (1) iMessage

 

That's not going to happen.

 

Why wouldn't it? Seems it'd be a pretty damn handy thing for the target market of iCloud.com -- people away from their primary devices, for whatever reason.

post #15 of 39

I want a feature in the iOS 6 Maps app running on an iPad/Touch/iPhone where I can track (with the trackee's permission) an iDevice...

 

Friends/relatives are driving in from out of state and I wan't track their progress with a live map and notifications.  This would be useful in case of delays, hazards, accidents... or you could suggest the take a scenic detour...

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #16 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I want a feature in the iOS 6 Maps app running on an iPad/Touch/iPhone where I can track (with the trackee's permission) an iDevice...

 

Friends/relatives are driving in from out of state and I wan't track their progress with a live map and notifications.  This would be useful in case of delays, hazards, accidents... or you could suggest the take a scenic detour...


This was introduced in iOS 5 and is available from the App store now.

 

http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/find-my-friends.html

post #17 of 39

Mostly, there should be the ability to require a password to shut it down so the thief can't turn it off to prevent tracking it.  There are always ways around letting it be tracked but that would add one more layer.
 

post #18 of 39
Originally Posted by aerocowboy View Post
Why wouldn't it? Seems it'd be a pretty damn handy thing for the target market of iCloud.com -- people away from their primary devices, for whatever reason.

 

I see iCloud.com as more of a "people on Windows" market, but that's me.

post #19 of 39
Yet still no access to photo stream from the website. Nevermind then. Once again, the one feature I've been asking for is left out.
post #20 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

I see iCloud.com as more of a "people on Windows" market, but that's me.


I don't necessarily see a problem with this, like iTunes is available for Windows, why not allow Windows users to talk to all their friends with iOS devices?  The more iMessage is used, the more valuable it becomes as a service.  If they want an even better desktop implementation, they can purchase a Mac.  I don't think it will cost Apple sales, and the incremental service costs are pretty low.

post #21 of 39
Lost mode is useless. what we need is the ability to lock the SIM card in the phone and the ability to disable the power button
post #22 of 39
Originally Posted by MacCentric View Post
…why not allow Windows users to talk to all their friends with iOS devices?.

 

Because buy a Mac to supplement their iOS device. Apple never made an iChat for Windows, despite that being a rumor since about 2004 when it was launched. I don't see them doing iMessage.

post #23 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCentric View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I want a feature in the iOS 6 Maps app running on an iPad/Touch/iPhone where I can track (with the trackee's permission) an iDevice...

 

Friends/relatives are driving in from out of state and I wan't track their progress with a live map and notifications.  This would be useful in case of delays, hazards, accidents... or you could suggest the take a scenic detour...


This was introduced in iOS 5 and is available from the App store now.

 

http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/find-my-friends.html

 

 

I have tried  that app on several occasions (including just now) and it doesn't work.

 

It tells me that my appleid is not verified & go to a site...

 

I go to the site and logon with the same applied/password & it tells me that it is my appleid and primary email address...

 

I try to add the same appleid so it can verify it -- but it won't accept it as it is already there..

 

This is an old @mac.com applied with @me.com and @icloud.com aliases...

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #24 of 39
Lost mode. Stolen mode. Bullshit mode. Orbital mode.

Whatever.

How about two seconds to turn off mode and voila. Gone.

Make it impossible to turn off and "modes" will mean something.


How out of touch with the robbery situations is everyone at apple/carriers they think a lost mode works for shit?


Pfft.
post #25 of 39
Add two features to iCloud and I will switch from gmail like, yesterday.

1. Server-side threaded messaging. Why does my iPhone and Mac have threaded messaging, but I go to icloud.com and my messages are all over the place?

2. The ability to have non-icloud aliases, just like every other major email service, even the retired MobileMe.

Make those relatively easy things happen, Apple, and I'll completely switch over.

(Oh, and wishful thinking, but the ability to merge my old iTunes account with my previous MobileMe account I opened when MobileMe was released, but that's not relevant to this thread.)
post #26 of 39

Will iOS ever allow addressing emails to one's groups like on the desktop Mail client?  Why, in 5 years, has this not been implemented when the Contacts app has all one's groups listed? I don't want a cheesy workaround app or jury-rigging a contact that has my entire group's email addresses.

post #27 of 39
Lost mode is fine but what we really need is a "stolen mode". Currently all a thief has to do is power down the iPhone and it will dissapear off the grid.

If the iPhone required a password to shutdown then the iphone would still be locatable until the thief either took it outside of mobile range or dissassembled it, and physically disconnected the battery, both of which are relatively inconvenient and affect the resale value of the phone.

Once you determine that a device is stolen you could remotely trigger a hibernation mode that powers down the display and other unnecessary features to extend as much battery life for location/tracking purposes as possible.
post #28 of 39

I hear ya.  So many of my songs have been uploaded instead of matched - and I can't see the reason why.  They are not obscure or anything!

Save your friends from Skynet - whoops, Google.  Recommend they use StartPage for search..

...and no, I am not paid to say this..

Reply

Save your friends from Skynet - whoops, Google.  Recommend they use StartPage for search..

...and no, I am not paid to say this..

Reply
post #29 of 39

Unclear on the disconnect between Reminders and the Calendar - if I've got a time-specific reminder (say, "Call mom on Friday about her Thanksgiving trip"), I'd rather have it appear on the Calendar than a separate app that I have to check.

 

I also hope they've made it easier to *delete* old reminders - if I can side-swipe-delete emails and texts, why can't I do the same with old reminders?!

post #30 of 39
Originally Posted by MacRR View Post
How out of touch with the robbery situations is everyone at apple/carriers they think a lost mode works for shit?

 

Given that we hear stories all the time about how devices get recovered, I think someone else is out of touch.

post #31 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Given that we hear stories all the time about how devices get recovered, I think someone else is out of touch.

It's definitely you. Recoveries aren't as common as your probable anecdotal little examples have led you to believe. You've never heard of Apple picking? Even if your phone is recovered, which again isn't the common scenario, you still got violently robbed.

You must live in a nice place with marshmallow clouds and unicorns riding on rainbows.

If recoveries were so high, why do carriers need to to put together a database to deter smartphone crime? If they were more often recovered it wouldn't be necessary. Why do all metropolitan cities across the globe report large increases in smartphone robberies year to year? Again, a high recovery rate would infer a decrease, right? There also wouldn't be a thriving black market for stolen phones as well, right?

It's certainly not I that is out of touch 1wink.gif but I'm happy you believe so. Ignorance is bliss as they say.

Dunks is spot on with his suggestions above, and until apple and the carriers are serious about about it I'll consider them out of touch on the problem because a lost mode is silly when every criminal in the world knows to turn it off right after they rob it from you.
post #32 of 39
Originally Posted by MacRR View Post
It's definitely you. Recoveries aren't as common as your probable anecdotal little examples have led you to believe. You've never heard of Apple picking? Even if your phone is recovered, which again isn't the common scenario, you still got violently robbed.

 

So the iPhone should come with a 100,000v taser to prevent thefts? Or are you honestly suggesting that requires a password to shut the phone off would prevent the theft in the first place?


If recoveries were so high, why do carriers need to to put together a database to deter smartphone crime?


Because not all phones are iPhones, probably. Also thieves have historically not ever been the smartest apples in the bushel. 

post #33 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So the iPhone should come with a 100,000v taser to prevent thefts? Or are you honestly suggesting that requires a password to shut the phone off would prevent the theft in the first place?


Because not all phones are iPhones, probably. Also thieves have historically not ever been the smartest apples in the bushel. 

I never said the phone should be a weapon. I did say the user Dunks (see post above above) is spot on... For starters.

Yes. I know all phones aren't iPhones. So?

It's about deterring theft. If an iPhone was impossible to turn off and allowed the thief to be tracked it would be a hell of a deterrent than the way it is now. As it is now, a thief just has to turn it off, wipe it, jailbreak it and then sell it. After he robs you, in some cases violently, of course.

Easy peasy. Lost mode is worthless.


But back to the ridiculous taser idea... Concealed carry is a lot better 1biggrin.gif
post #34 of 39
Originally Posted by MacRR View Post
It's about deterring theft. If an iPhone was impossible to turn off and allowed the thief to be tracked it would be a hell of a deterrent than the way it is now.


And just as many people would know about it then as do Find My iPhone now. Absolutely nothing would change.

post #35 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


And just as many people would know about it then as do Find My iPhone now. Absolutely nothing would change.

It seems you are out of touch on the concept. Shrug. I'd explain it quite simply for you, but why waste the time, right?
post #36 of 39
Originally Posted by MacRR View Post
It seems you are out of touch on the concept. Shrug. I'd explain it quite simply for you, but why waste the time, right?

 

Right. Why bother making sense when you can just change your argument halfway through?

post #37 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Right. Why bother making sense when you can just change your argument halfway through?

WTH are you talking about?

I think I get it, you just want to bait me into some ad hominem comment so you can power trip on me, because you certainly aren't having a conversation with me.

I didn't change anything, btw.maybe someone here can help you out a bit?

I thought moderators were held to a higher standard here?
post #38 of 39
Originally Posted by MacRR View Post
WTH are you talking about?
I think I get it, you just want to bait me into some ad hominem comment so you can power trip on me, because you certainly aren't having a conversation with me.

 

You're ignoring the original point you made. If I've misunderstood something along the way, feel free to correct me.

 

The way I saw it, you claimed that the ability to password protect shutdown would prevent thefts. That's nonsense. If not because it wouldn't stop thieves from wiping the phone, then because the same number of people would know about that capability as do Find My iPhone and other recovery softwares in the first place.

 

Instead of providing further evidence that I'm wrong there, you chose to pretend that it "wasn't worth it" to explain it. Which certainly works just as well if there's no explanation as if there is one.

post #39 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You're ignoring the original point you made. If I've misunderstood something along the way, feel free to correct me.

The way I saw it, you claimed that the ability to password protect shutdown would prevent thefts. That's nonsense. If not because it wouldn't stop thieves from wiping the phone, then because the same number of people would know about that capability as do Find My iPhone and other recovery softwares in the first place.

Instead of providing further evidence that I'm wrong there, you chose to pretend that it "wasn't worth it" to explain it. Which certainly works just as well if there's no explanation as if there is one.

Anyone can plainly see what's up here.


I'll just wait to see if someone else cares to comment.

Take care!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iCloud
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iCloud › Apple enhancing iCloud with new web apps, Lost Mode for iOS 6