or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The SPLC has Jumped the Shark!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The SPLC has Jumped the Shark!

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

Are you a radical anarchist?

Are you upset because you were a member of the Occupy movement but didn't feel they were doing enough?

Are you calling your group the Revolutionary People's Party?

 

Well you might be a member of the radical right wing per the SPLC!

 

 

Quote:

“Honestly, the intent was to bring the bridge down,” Baxter told FBI agents, according to one government document. “I didn’t think there was enough (C-4) to do it. I just wanted to have it shut down for a few days. Stop, uh, flow of money for a few days from that area.”

 

The plotters intended to use a mobile phone to detonate two four-pound boxes of C-4 – a military-grade explosive – that were placed at the base of the Route 82 bridge crossing the Cuyahoga Valley National Park, south of downtown Cleveland.

 

The anarchists initially discussed using smoke grenades to distract law enforcement while co-conspirators would use explosives to topple signs atop high-rise financial institutions in downtown Cleveland. They also discussed bombing a Ku Klux Klan gathering spot or a Federal Reserve Bank.

 

The defendants apparently formed the Revolutionary People’s Party after they grew disappointed with the lack of action by people in the Occupy Movement, with whom they had been affiliated.

 

 

This is perhaps the clearest example of all things negative are right-wing reasoning I have seen recently.

 

Perhaps we are all right wing hate mongers since that involves wanting to disrupt the actions of the KKK. I guess the SPLC is a member of the hateful right since they too have prevented the KKK from acting as they wanted to act.

 

This labeling and the reasoning behind it is sad and pathetic. The SPLC is like a pretzel where they help no one, but send out fundraising letters begging for cash no matter the cause or circumstance. They slap the same labels on it regardless of accuracy or reasoning and just engage in a money grab. They are hate-mongers themselves who labels other with the hate label since for them, it is nothing more than a means of making cash.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #2 of 13

Did I miss something?  I'm not seeing where these guys were ever labeled "right wing" by anyone.  

You can't stop it.
Reply
You can't stop it.
Reply
post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by signal View Post

Did I miss something?  I'm not seeing where these guys were ever labeled "right wing" by anyone.  

 

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #4 of 13

OK.  So that's more or less a blog that's part of the SPLC website, which picked up on the main story.  I'm still not seeing how anyone is implying that these guys were rightwing.  The linked article explicitly describes them as anarchists who were impatient with the Occupy movement's lack of confrontational tactics.

 

Is the idea that anything that gets mentioned on the SPLC website is therefore considered de facto right wing? Because I thought one of the complaints the right has about the SPLC is that it focuses unduly on right wing violence and turns a blind eye to left wing violence.  So if they start mentioning left wing violence it means they're depicting it as right wing?  How does that work?  What could they do to satisfy their critics, given that scenario?

You can't stop it.
Reply
You can't stop it.
Reply
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by signal View Post

OK.  So that's more or less a blog that's part of the SPLC website, which picked up on the main story.  I'm still not seeing how anyone is implying that these guys were rightwing.  The linked article explicitly describes them as anarchists who were impatient with the Occupy movement's lack of confrontational tactics.

 

Is the idea that anything that gets mentioned on the SPLC website is therefore considered de facto right wing? Because I thought one of the complaints the right has about the SPLC is that it focuses unduly on right wing violence and turns a blind eye to left wing violence.  So if they start mentioning left wing violence it means they're depicting it as right wing?  How does that work?  What could they do to satisfy their critics, given that scenario?

 

Ummm...because that's what they are effectively doing when they have a banner and slogan that says "keeping an eye on the radical right" and they post articles under that banner.

 

The banner doesn't say "keeping an eye on the radical left and right"...it doesn't say "keeping an eye on hatred and violence no matter who does it" it says "keeping an eye on the radical right."

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #6 of 13
Thread Starter 

Titles, it's almost like they should mean something. Don't worry Signal, you're doing better than most. Clearly no one wants to defend the SPLC and you being skeptical about claims isn't really defending them, it's just expressing skepticism.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #7 of 13

Sure, but again, the OP is saying that the "SPLC has jumped the shark" and linked to the article on the main SPLC page, which as part of its mission statement condemns violence from every sector (and which is demonstrating same by running the story in the first place).   The fact that a sub-section of the SPLC that explicitly mentions right wing hate in its banner also ran the story, which explicitly describes the men responsible as being anarchists affiliated with the Occupy movement, isn't particularly damning. 

 

Certainly the SPLC has its roots in the civil rights movement and therefore has a historic focus on things like white supremacist organizations, which, sorry, are pretty much right wing.  But I would have thought that covering at least wannabe left wing terrorists would be something to applaud the SPLC for, rather than an odd little gotcha regarding a masthead.  Do we think that people will get the impression that these guys were right wing because they can read the masthead but not the article.?

You can't stop it.
Reply
You can't stop it.
Reply
post #8 of 13

I suppose maybe you're right. This isn't quite on the same level as them automatically characterizing any violent or negative act against a racial minority as being rightist without being burdened by having to prove such a thing.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

I suppose maybe you're right. This isn't quite on the same level as them automatically characterizing any violent or negative act against a racial minority as being rightist without being burdened by having to prove such a thing.

 

I'm guessing that's a standard right wing canard re the SPCL?  It doesn't seem very plausible.  

You can't stop it.
Reply
You can't stop it.
Reply
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by signal View Post

 

I'm guessing that's a standard right wing canard re the SPCL?  It doesn't seem very plausible.  

 

I suppose you can guess whatever you want. But one member of this forum post "proof" of how much more often right-wingers resort to violence in the form a of a table that was assembled by some blogger from SPLC data. It didn't take much to see that every single example of violence against a racial minority was in the "right wing" column without doing anything to substantiate that it was actually a right wing in any way. In fact one example of this so-called right-wing hatred actually came from a person who was know to be a long-time liberal.

 

Frankly, the SPLC has basically become a leftist hate group in its own right.

 

 

But you go on guessing if it makes you feel better.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #11 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by signal View Post

Sure, but again, the OP is saying that the "SPLC has jumped the shark" and linked to the article on the main SPLC page, which as part of its mission statement condemns violence from every sector (and which is demonstrating same by running the story in the first place).   The fact that a sub-section of the SPLC that explicitly mentions right wing hate in its banner also ran the story, which explicitly describes the men responsible as being anarchists affiliated with the Occupy movement, isn't particularly damning. 

 

Certainly the SPLC has its roots in the civil rights movement and therefore has a historic focus on things like white supremacist organizations, which, sorry, are pretty much right wing.  But I would have thought that covering at least wannabe left wing terrorists would be something to applaud the SPLC for, rather than an odd little gotcha regarding a masthead.  Do we think that people will get the impression that these guys were right wing because they can read the masthead but not the article.?

 

Signal, please do me a favor. I seem to be a bit dumbfounded here with regard to searching the SPLC website. Could you find the sub-section for me that tracks left wing hate in its banner and then we can just write this off as miscategorized.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

 

Signal, please do me a favor. I seem to be a bit dumbfounded here with regard to searching the SPLC website. Could you find the sub-section for me that tracks left wing hate in its banner and then we can just write this off as miscategorized.

 

OK, so it's your contention that by even commenting on this the SPLC is attempting to imply that it's "right wing violence", despite the fact that they very clearly identify the principles as being anarchists split from the Occupy movement?  I'll concede that the SPLC is generally identified with calling out right wing hate and violence, what I'm not getting is how being more balanced, how not shying away from calling out left wing violence, represents "jumping the shark" or some kind of effort to confuse people.

You can't stop it.
Reply
You can't stop it.
Reply
post #13 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by signal View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

 

Signal, please do me a favor. I seem to be a bit dumbfounded here with regard to searching the SPLC website. Could you find the sub-section for me that tracks left wing hate in its banner and then we can just write this off as miscategorized.

 

OK, so it's your contention that by even commenting on this the SPLC is attempting to imply that it's "right wing violence", despite the fact that they very clearly identify the principles as being anarchists split from the Occupy movement?  I'll concede that the SPLC is generally identified with calling out right wing hate and violence, what I'm not getting is how being more balanced, how not shying away from calling out left wing violence, represents "jumping the shark" or some kind of effort to confuse people.

 



First of all, it doesn't imply it's right-wing violence. It clearly labels it as so. If I put up your picture and it has the heading asshole on it. I'm not implying anything am I?

 

They aren't generally identified with calling out right wing hate and violence, they ONLY call that sort of violence out. If they call out any violence, they consider it to be right wing in some fashion. The reason I asked for you to find that label for left-wing is it doesn't exist at their website. They don't have a blog for tracking left-wing violence because in their mind, it doesn't exist.

 

As for jumping the shark or confusing people, it is because they claim to be an organization that tracks ALL hate groups in America. When your bias causes you to leave out half the potential groups, that means you've cost yourself your credibility, aka jumped the shark. One of the main points I've had with the SPLC is that they do not consider a gang that systematically attempts to murder another gang in large part because they are of a different ethnicity to be any sort of hate group or hate crime. As an example in South Central Los Angeles, the demography has been changing. It used to me majority African-American and now it is majority Hispanic. Well part of what facilitated this change is the Hispanic gangs moved in and began murdering anyone they thought was a member of an African-American gang. They didn't need proof. It was just pure hate. You're black and you look like you bang so blam, we are killing you.

 

The SPLC won't declare that to be a hate crime. Instead they will try to go raise another $10 million for their "endowment" by suing 4 klan members with five teeth among them in three different states.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The SPLC has Jumped the Shark!