or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › HP taken to task for releasing iMac clone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HP taken to task for releasing iMac clone - Page 4

post #121 of 174

This is not the first time someone tried to copy the iMac. Remember when the Koreans did it blatantly and got sued?

 

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/Remember_That_iMac_Copy_Apple_Settles_With_iMac_Clone_Maker_Future_Power_Wi/

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #122 of 174
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post
This is not the first time someone tried to copy the iMac. Remember when the Koreans did it blatantly and got sued?

 

And eMachines' eOne, whose settlement drove them to be purchased by Gateway (purchased by Acer).

 

Apple needs to come down hard.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #123 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

Apple is allowed to copy braun but nobody is allowed to copy apple? That does not make sense.

 

This is the new "Apple wants to patent rounded rectangles", right?  Is there some kind of secret website that feeds Apple trolls their talking points, so they can all stay on the same page?  And does it have a big banner at the top of the page that says "NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES PEOPLE EXPLAIN HOW STUPID AND WRONG YOU ARE, JUST KEEP SAYING IT OVER AND OVER AGAIN"?

 

Because friend?  It's unbelievably tedious.
 

They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #124 of 174
" [...] HP SpectreONE, an All-in-One unlike anything you’ve ever seen."

I'm sure glad I wasn't taking a drink when I read that... I would be cleaning off my screen right now. Wow.
post #125 of 174
It is not just a question of Look & Feel. For ages, PC fans recognized "ok, a PC is ugly compared to a Mac, but it is open, you can easily plug whatever additional card you want".

They are going to capitulate on this point too ...
post #126 of 174
It sucks to be Apple!

What I can't stand is how all the anti-American fAndroid geeks bah Apple instead of supporting an American company! These sick bastards pretend Apple is not the leader and the company that everybody tries to rip off!
I also can't stand how these shameless tech companies have given up on innovating and creating their own stuff!!!

The absolute worse part yet is that the ripping-off of Apple technology and designs is so bad that HP is copying how Scamsung copie Apple!!!
Yes I mean the rip-off company has people ripping off their business model!

HP acknowledged scamsungs success by ripping off Apple and three years later only getting a slap on the wrist! So of course HP will rip off Apple seeing as how Scamsung got away with it!

I mean if you are a SHIT company thy produces more SHIT, thn why not rip off Apple is you are guaranteed success knowing that 3 years from now AFTER you have received all the benefits you MIGHT face some consequences!!!!

F You meg bitchmen!!!!
post #127 of 174
Indeed it is a AiO PC with a wireless keyboard and trackpad. But the PC is built into the stand, not the display housing. It even has some extension ports at the sides where you can reach them.

The keyboard has a similar, but more rounded off design (come on, it is some wedge with buttons on it anyways you turn it). The trackpad mimics the design of its own keyboard (but clearly, Apple opened the path for a stand-alone trackpad).

I think it is different enough from an iMac.

When I chose my iMac, I chose the most cost-efficient way to run OSX. A Mac Mini was too expensive (I did not have a Mac KB or mouse and only a 17" Display). Given the choice, I would always opt for the NOT-all-in-one-computer for exchangeablility of components vs. display. (I guess that's why you hardly see AiO Windows PCs)
post #128 of 174

Has Apple Really Ever Invented Anything? Anything? Anyone?

 

A friendly reminder:

Integrating things =/= Inventing

"I invented the rectangle"  - Steve Jobs

"We Bomb you" - USA

Reply

"I invented the rectangle"  - Steve Jobs

"We Bomb you" - USA

Reply
post #129 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuAlfons View Post
I would always opt for the NOT-all-in-one-computer for exchangeablility of components vs. display. (I guess that's why you hardly see AiO Windows PCs)

Yep!

 

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Desktop-Computers/All-in-One-Computers/

 

120 SKUs

post #130 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post


Well, I'd like to have other pictures. These seem a bit too obvious in their targeting. Then again, if it really is a copy, Apple's going to sue HP. Sad thing for the company Steve Jobs worked his summer job in...

It's not that company any more, sad to say ... :-(

post #131 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

Apple is allowed to copy braun but nobody is allowed to copy apple? That does not make sense.

 

Over the past three months, I've noticed that the anti-Apple rhetoric has become increasingly desperate.

 

But, I think we've finally found the low point.

post #132 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Thanks for providing extra exhibits for my evidence field. That's all I have to say on this matter for now.

 

 

 

So you want to ban me because I dared to disagree with you? Or because I dared to say that Apple have been making too many mistakes of late?  Oh how nice. 

 

Given your incredibly confrontational stance on pretty much everything, and how you routinely wind people up to provoke a response it's truly staggering that you were made a mod. Then again, AA has articles written by DED, a fanboy so extreme he would make Gruber blush.

post #133 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

This is the new "Apple wants to patent rounded rectangles", right?  Is there some kind of secret website that feeds Apple trolls their talking points, so they can all stay on the same page?  And does it have a big banner at the top of the page that says "NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES PEOPLE EXPLAIN HOW STUPID AND WRONG YOU ARE, JUST KEEP SAYING IT OVER AND OVER AGAIN"?

Yeah, they all share the same two or three talking points. And they have the nerve to say Apple fans all suffer from groupthink without bothering to look at themselves in the mirror.
post #134 of 174
How inspired is too inspired?





post #135 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

Apple is allowed to copy braun but nobody is allowed to copy apple? That does not make sense.

 

I don't know anything about Apple copying Braun, but I think many people miss the point. You can copy and improve on others' work at your heart's content... until you step on someone's I.P. At that point, the infringed company can then sue you. So, if Apple is going after H.P., then I would conclude that they have trade dress or some kind of patent on the iMac that H.P. has infringed upon and therefore have every right to sue for damages, according to the law. Am I missing something here?
 
post #136 of 174
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

No, because Braun don't make computers, and Apple don't make electric razors.

 

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post
majortom1981, last time I checked Braun never released computers or portable electronic devices. (cordless Razors don't count).

 

Originally Posted by PJWilkin View Post

I must have missed the products that Braun have in the computer industry ... I'm sure we'd all like to see their Laptop

When Apple produce an Apple Coffee Maker we can then say they may have copied braun

 
Originally Posted by crawdad62 View Post
You might have a point if Braun made computers.

 

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Braun made computers??

 

Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

Apple sells razors?

 

I enjoy a public flaying as much as the next person, and majortom1981's post is devoid of perspective, but at least read the entire thread before making the same point as half a dozen previous replies. Good heavens, this is like a reddit thread.

 

 

Originally Posted by mocseg View Post

Has Apple Really Ever Invented Anything? Anything? Anyone?

A friendly reminder: Integrating things =/= Inventing

 

Look at Apple's patent portfolio. It takes actual talent and a helluva lot of attention to detail to, say, develop a method of precision laser cutting hardened aluminum on a massive scale, while retaining profitability. Even when the majority of components are manufactured by other companies, Apple is known for having to invent new methods of treatment and assembly at such tight tolerances. Inventing is more than just making a new product category, like light bulbs.

See Pixar for a comparative study. Do you think they do all that shit in Blender? No, they invent new plugins and programs to roll their own fur, water, and other 3D sims.

[this account has been abandoned]

Reply

[this account has been abandoned]

Reply
post #137 of 174
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post
So you want to ban me because I dared to disagree with you?

 

Nope.


Or because I dared to say that Apple have been making too many mistakes of late?

 

Nope.


Given your incredibly confrontational stance on pretty much everything, and how you routinely wind people up to provoke a response it's truly staggering that you were made a mod.

 

That's nice for you.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #138 of 174

Hah, that's what I said. Angle of view. Accessories though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

also the HP isn't as much of a copycat as you think

The accessories definitely are, however.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

Reply
post #139 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorsos View Post

See Pixar for a comparative study. Do you think they do all that shit in Blender? No, they invent new plugins and programs to roll their own fur, water, and other 3D sims.

That sounds like Blender-hate. Blender's great, it even helps preventing tsunami casualties. All hail Blender! :p

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

Reply
post #140 of 174
Well they say that copying is the highest form of flattery.
post #141 of 174
Originally Posted by Arthur123 View Post
Well they say that copying is the highest form of flattery.

 

Imitation ≠ copying.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #142 of 174
HP computer monitor from 2009



and 2007



truth be told the only case you guys REALLY have is against the accessories...and even those are more like the Vizio's which was an open inspiration from Apple.
post #143 of 174
In 36 years of living, I've rarely ever felt capitalism has been anything glorious at all. Starting new products is almost impossible in existing markets. Good products fail in the face of cheap junk, and cheap junk makers mimic popular stuff so closely as to make one cringe at the shamelessness of the act. Professionalism means nothing. Nor does originality. Just look at the state of Hollywood. Perfect analogy for capitalism destroying the "ideals" of capitalism.
post #144 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

In 36 years of living, I've rarely ever felt capitalism has been anything glorious at all. Starting new products is almost impossible in existing markets. Good products fail in the face of cheap junk, and cheap junk makers mimic popular stuff so closely as to make one cringe at the shamelessness of the act. Professionalism means nothing. Nor does originality. Just look at the state of Hollywood. Perfect analogy for capitalism destroying the "ideals" of capitalism.

Yet Apple seems to succeed at these things seemingly at will. Care to suggest an alternative and proven successful system that does not rely on slavery or close to it?
post #145 of 174
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post
Care to suggest an alternative and proven successful system that does not rely on slavery or close to it?

 

Here come the "Chinese workers" comments.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #146 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Here come the "Chinese workers" comments.

Ahhh! Where serfdom IS the middle class.
post #147 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

In 36 years of living, I've rarely ever felt capitalism has been anything glorious at all. Starting new products is almost impossible in existing markets. Good products fail in the face of cheap junk, and cheap junk makers mimic popular stuff so closely as to make one cringe at the shamelessness of the act. Professionalism means nothing. Nor does originality. Just look at the state of Hollywood. Perfect analogy for capitalism destroying the "ideals" of capitalism.

I think you're describing a cultural problem, not a problem of an economic system. There aren't any good economic systems, capitalism is merely the best that we have. We might never have gotten personal computers at all under other economic systems.
post #148 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

And eMachines' eOne, whose settlement drove them to be purchased by Gateway (purchased by Acer).

 

Apple needs to come down hard.

You know I read this stuff from you, and it generally contains too much emotion rather than any real observation on what infringes upon what. HP appears to have placed the majority of the actual computer in a different portion. The wide base seems to contain a lot of it as I don't think they crammed it behind a display that thin. Anyway this isn't an area where I have the energy to go looking for related patents and forming comparisons, so I won't interject any real opinions.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorsos View Post


See Pixar for a comparative study. Do you think they do all that shit in Blender? No, they invent new plugins and programs to roll their own fur, water, and other 3D sims.

 

As an analogy, this is pretty bad. You just compared Pixar to an open source application.

post #149 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Yet Apple seems to succeed at these things seemingly at will. Care to suggest an alternative and proven successful system that does not rely on slavery or close to it?

Is capitalism successful if it DOES rely on slavery or something close to it?

To those on top life is always great when you purposefully ignore the bigger picture.

And simply because one can point out WHY something is bad doesn't mean that because they can't tell you what's better that the bad thing is now good.
post #150 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Is capitalism successful if it DOES rely on slavery or something close to it?
To those on top life is always great when you purposefully ignore the bigger picture.
And simply because one can point out WHY something is bad doesn't mean that because they can't tell you what's better that the bad thing is now good.

Point out the alternative or go away. Your IFs are just wind.
post #151 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Point out the alternative or go away. Your IFs are just wind.

In other words your logic was faulty.

But I see faulty logic seems to be your thing.
post #152 of 174
mocseg View Post

Has Apple Really Ever Invented Anything? Anything? Anyone?

 

A friendly reminder:

Integrating things =/= Inventing

 

Vorsos View Post

Look at Apple's patent portfolio. It takes actual talent and a helluva lot of attention to detail to, say, develop a method of precision laser cutting hardened aluminum on a massive scale, while retaining profitability. Even when the majority of components are manufactured by other companies, Apple is known for having to invent new methods of treatment and assembly at such tight tolerances. Inventing is more than just making a new product category, like light bulbs.

See Pixar for a comparative study. Do you think they do all that shit in Blender? No, they invent new plugins and programs to roll their own fur, water, and other 3D sims.

 

hmm View Post

As an analogy, this is pretty bad. You just compared Pixar to an open source application.

 

I compared Pixar and Apple, since both are known to invent the tools required to produce their products. Apple could not have assembled the iPhone 4 entirely through existing manufacturing processes, so they developed new ones. Pixar's 3D needs often surpass what public 3D programs are capable of, so they write their own in-house.

 

Full context above, in case anyone else is confused.

[this account has been abandoned]

Reply

[this account has been abandoned]

Reply
post #153 of 174
oh how sad have you become HP?... you were once the top equipment maker (how i llusted after HP test equipment.. (dvm's, spectrum analyzers) LOL geek i suppose (also tektronix oscilloscopes... a 250k dollar digital 'scope ? mind-blowing!)

but i suppose HP's software business has the honour... but still , come on HP, reign in the PC side!
post #154 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorsos View Post

 

 

 

I compared Pixar and Apple, since both are known to invent the tools required to produce their products.

When I saw the previews for Brave, I actually wondered how much time they spent getting her hair to look like that. Both the shader development and dynamics must have been insane. The part I felt was out of context was the comparison of a film studio to an open source product that survives via donations.

post #155 of 174
so my examples of how this is NOT HP copying are to be ignored?
post #156 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

so my examples of how this is NOT HP copying are to be ignored?


I gave up on this long ago. Most of the people on here primarily pay attention to Apple. If they remember something, they remember what Apple did, and that becomes the point of reference. No matter what another company produced in the past, it will be labeled as copying now as these threads are based on anecdotes and lack of research.

post #157 of 174
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post
so my examples of how this is NOT HP copying are to be ignored?

 

Might I ask the release date of that 2007 model?

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #158 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Might I ask the release date of that 2007 model?

earliest review I can find based on a reverse image search is in April of 2007

note: the side view of this unit is vastly different to either the HP Spectre or the iMac but then again the Spectre and the iMac have differing side views as well.
Edited by AbsoluteDesignz - 9/13/12 at 6:21am
post #159 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post


I gave up on this long ago. Most of the people on here primarily pay attention to Apple. If they remember something, they remember what Apple did, and that becomes the point of reference. No matter what another company produced in the past, it will be labeled as copying now as these threads are based on anecdotes and lack of research.

indeed.

What's worse though is other sites are reporting it as a copy as well...if I were HP I'd engage in a rather aggressive PR campaign to do my best to dispel these claims.
post #160 of 174

That HP "Spectre" (stupid name too!) looks like they tried to copy iMac and then tried to make it ugly, probably thinking no one would notice with windows running on it. 

I notice that with both that one and the Vizio mentioned in this thread, both articles mention that neither one includes touchscreen support. Is this really an issue? Are computer makers really scrambling to bring touchscreens to their desktop computers? Is this something people really want? I don't want to touch my computer screen. I don't even sit close enough to it to touch it. Am I just really that old? 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › HP taken to task for releasing iMac clone