or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Rumor: Samsung to sue Apple over LTE-compatible next-gen iPhone

Rumor: Samsung to sue Apple over LTE-compatible next-gen iPhone - Page 2

post #41 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

I do recall some other lawsuit against Apple by some company claiming Apple could not use chips made by a licensed company without also paying additional licensing fees to the IP owner. Apple as a third party argued it had the right to do so. Was this IP owner Samsung?
Anybody remember that case and its resolution?

It was MotoMo/Google that tried that tactic in Europe. While there was no outcome per sec., the Europeans have called called MotoMo/Google et al to explain their monopolistic tendencies. I have a hunch that this is not going to turn out well for them. It's not good to be in the sights of the European courts as they are still hauling Microsoft in for a periodic beating... just because.

post #42 of 78

Samsung is doomed. 😨

iMac 2007, Macbook pro 2008, Mac Mini 2011
iMac 2007, Macbook pro 2008, Mac Mini 2011
post #43 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

That's assuming that Samsung needs to use any of Apple's patents.

Conversely that's assuming Apple is using any of Samsung's patents, if there is no standard then there is no need to use any of them, Samsung has not supplied the towers or the back end of phone networks, apart from in limited areas that they are branching into.

The body that governs standards should work around Samsung's patents if they are going to abuse them.

Apple has cross licensing deals with Nokia, it can be assumed also with Sony & Ericsson, they have their own patents.

Who deemed Samsung's patents as "essential"?

"It only takes one bullet to kill" Quinn Emmanuel representing Google/Motorola vs Apple in Germany.
Edited by hill60 - 9/11/12 at 12:07am
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
post #44 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

That's assuming that Samsung needs to use any of Apple's patents.

I certainly hoe that Samsung has confirmed that they aren't infringing on any Apple 4G patents ... Because Samsung has probably sold more LTE devices than Apple. Sure Samsung could hold up the release of the iPhone5, but they could be in for another big payout against existing sales if they have infringed on Apple patents.

I would think that Samsung has already considered this, but seeing how their lawyers got their butts handed to them in the look & feel lawsuit, I wouldn't be surprised to see them screw it up again.
post #45 of 78
I didn't realise Samsung is the inventor of 4G LTE and that they have the exclusive rights in making use of the network...
post #46 of 78
[quote name="elehcdn" url="/t/152477/rumor-samsung-to-sue-apple-over-lte-compatible-next-gen-I certainly hoe that Samsung has confirmed that they aren't infringing on any Apple 4G patents ... Because Samsung has probably sold more LTE devices than Apple..[/quote]

Apple has sold a LOT of 4G capable new iPads, only a fraction of the phones Samsung has sold are 4G, I'd say that Apple has sold more.
post #47 of 78

Too much, play for cash
Too much, put up or shut up
Too much is not enough
Oh, no! Bruno!
Too much is not enough
Too much, hit the night clubs
Too much, drink champagne
Too much, double bull's eye
Too much, do that again
Too much, stay out all night
Too much, but that's alright

NoMeansNo

"I invented the rectangle"  - Steve Jobs

"We Bomb you" - USA

"I invented the rectangle"  - Steve Jobs

"We Bomb you" - USA

post #48 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeltsBear View Post

Not only are most of these patents FRAND patents which should by contract have a very low fee, most of them are also 'exhausted'.  That means that the chip maker (Qualcomm for example) has ALREADY paid the patent fee, so Apple should not need to pay it again. 

Unfortunately it's not that easy. A couple of years ago I looked into connectors for MMC (the predecessor to SD memory cards). One supplier is Tyco. You would think that they pay license fees for every single one they produce (and they probably do) - however, if you want to buy these connectors, you have to supply them with information about the kind of device you want to use the connector for. Based on the group your device is in you pay a certain license fee for every device you build it can be higher for phones and less for some industrial appliance. No exhaustion of anything. You always pay. B2B is very different than B2C.

post #49 of 78

And in the end, lawyers win, consumers lose, innovation stagnates.

post #50 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkart4 View Post

And in the end, lawyers win, consumers lose, innovation stagnates.

Huh?

Stagnates for whom? Where?

post #51 of 78
shouldn't it be illegal to license your patents to a chip supplier then sue companies for using those very chips? The patents have already been licensed.
post #52 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Your pronoun 'it' is clearly choosing who is at fault while his pronoun 'it' is talking about legal action. I know you know the difference.

Of course I do.  I just didn't know he was joking, because there was no hint of a joke in his post.  Now I see that he has clarified that it was a joke.  Unfortunately I don't know the joke that he's referring back to from the summer... asking a lot if you assume posters on a message board will remember what one says months ago...

post #53 of 78
Samturd only knows one way to do business, litigate, litigate and litigate, They are so protectionist company
post #54 of 78

deleted

Edited by MacRulez - 1/21/13 at 3:02pm
post #55 of 78

deleted

post #56 of 78

LOL, so Apple's Facebook page get's trolled by fandroids and that's some kind of proof that Apple is in trouble.

post #57 of 78
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
LOL, so Apple's Facebook page get's trolled by fandroids and that's some kind of proof that Apple is in trouble.

Sociopath networking is now valid "news". It is wrong to question the "voice of the people".

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #58 of 78
It is amazing the level of misinformation or total lack of information that has reached the public about this trial. Samsung's ad blitz about it being about rectangles and such had a huge impact. Easy to understand and holding a kernel of truth. Forget the mountain of other evidence and issues, look at this rectangle. People should really look further than the propaganda from either company. there was a LOT of information that came out in the trial. Read it, and if you still believe Samsung did not copy Apple, well, I don't know if any facts would sway you on anything. Amazing...
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #59 of 78

deleted

post #60 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69ergoo View Post

This apple-Samsung thing is shaping up to be a problem between USA and south Korea. There is already talk of Apple making this an issue in regards to USA-south Korea FTA. If this is the case korea and Samsung will both throw in the towel. No country in the world is gonna mess with USA.

China, Iran, North Korea, Russia ... etc.

post #61 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoadm View Post

I love how Samsung claim they 'Innovate, not litigate', now they're preparing litigation over something which they don't even know exactly what they're litigating for

Well, at least Samsung researched and developed LTE patents in house, unlike Apple who bough most.

post #62 of 78

deleted

post #63 of 78
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post
So polls about stated product desirability are good, but studies of things people actually write on their own about the products when away from the pollsters is "sociopathic"?

Never said anything about polls. Treating Facebook, et. al., specifically the comments thereon, as a valid news source is disturbing.

post #64 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

I didn't realise Samsung is the inventor of 4G LTE and that they have the exclusive rights in making use of the network...

There is no one company or single individual who owns all LTE patents.  The point here is that Samsung is one of the major LTE patent holders (10+% of all LTE patents, in fact) - you can't swing a dead cat without hitting Samsung's LTE patents.  The same is probably now true for Apple - which I believe is among the top 10 LTE patent holders.

post #65 of 78

Samsung has every right to sue. That's life people.

post #66 of 78
Originally Posted by yvo84 View Post

I suppose that's correct. They have the right to waste their billions of dollars and get their patents invalidated or called FRAND, I suppose.

post #67 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvo84 View Post

what gives them the right to sue someone for using parts where the manufacturer already paid to license the patents? Didn't someone get a suit against Apple tossed out not to long ago for this very reason?

post #68 of 78

deleted

post #69 of 78
No, but the site you moderate for does, rather frequently:

And? They can be astroturfed just as easily as comment sections.

You hate this place and everything we do here. You've stated as much in the past. Why do you bother coming back?

post #70 of 78

deleted

post #71 of 78

What I have a problem with is the comment, "Worse, for Apple, the reaction against the brand is coming from its own fan base." As if it is a high bar to join a discussion group on Facebook.

As the initial poster wrote, it is over-reaction to watch a bunch of fandroids firebomb a Facebook page and read anything into it. As a matter of fact, where is the research to prove that Samsung themselves haven't bought into the social marketing concepts put forward by Shaughnessy and simply had a marketing firm post thousands of negative posts?

post #72 of 78
Quote:

So you believe AI's practice of using polls as sources is equally "disturbing"?

Or is it only disturbing when the results are inconvenient for whatever niche demographic AI hopes to deliver to its advertisers?

Can't wait for Forbes to start using the AppleInsider forums as one of their paid measurement metrics. Shaughnessy went into the article with a bias, and surprise, a marketing metric company managed to confirm his beliefs. That is cogent analysis ...

post #73 of 78

deleted

Edited by MacRulez - 1/21/13 at 3:01pm
post #74 of 78
I don't hate this place.
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post
Classy as always, this dank alley...

I guess when trolls always ignore the truth, it's easy for them to get lost in their lies.

Or maybe you enjoy dank alleys. To each his own.

post #75 of 78

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

post #76 of 78
Quote:

You are the type that has no clue of how patents work and why Apple "won" the patent fight: through smokes and screens.

post #77 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Quote:

You are the type that has no clue of how patents work and why Apple "won" the patent fight: through smokes and screens.

There must be more mature way to express disagreements with other posters.

Freedom of speech can be claimed only if you show respect to whom your speech has targeted and others who come to this site to read and learn.

I would ask AI administrator to take an "active role" in making this site a welcoming place not a battle ground.
Edited by edwardkim - 9/12/12 at 11:49am
post #78 of 78

deleted

Edited by MacRulez - 1/21/13 at 3:09pm
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Rumor: Samsung to sue Apple over LTE-compatible next-gen iPhone