or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google debuts standalone YouTube app ahead of iOS 6 launch

Google debuts standalone YouTube app ahead of iOS 6 launch - Page 2

post #41 of 49

Seeing the occasional ad precede free content is fine with me, and it's the reality of providing said content. Ad-free experiences are either paid or pirated.

If the only thing Google uses this for is targeted ads, then I am not bothered at all. Don't confuse the practice of targeted ads (matching basic demographics within Google's content servers) with selling personal info directly to other companies. There is a huge difference. Take Facebook for instance, who lets your face be used in ads for products you mention. That's a far cry from McDonald's ad contract with Google that delivers McAds to Google users who search for McLocations.

[this account has been abandoned]

post #42 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by majjo View Post

Unless there's a subscription based model for YouTube that I'm not aware of, ads are going to be displayed whether you want them or not. And since that is the case, I rather have the ads be as relevant as possible.

It seems to me that some of these people want a pay per page type of internet service.....

post #43 of 49
Tried app on my iPad. Formatted for iPhone/iPod Touch. Any idea when or if they will have an iPad version?
post #44 of 49
LOL, of all videos on YouTube, you decided to gave us Gangnam vids. At the right spot for a screenshot! As if they are not famous enough...
post #45 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

If Apple was in fact "selling on" the information their customers give them it would be a scandal of epic proportions given that they have sworn not to and it says right in those click through agreements we all sign that they won't.  They would be open to civil prosecution on a massive scale if it turns out they have done this at the very least.  Perhaps even criminal prosecution from the Feds in the USA.  They would also be kicked out of Europe.

No, the point is that no online ad agency is going to be effective if they're not using your personal information. That's the value they bring, being able to target specific markets. To think that Apple isn't using it is just stupid fanboy wishful thinking. And honestly, Apple probably has a lot more of your personal information than you think. I keep thinking back to that story about how it was suspected that Apple changed the App Store ratings to factor in how much users were actually using the apps. The story came and no one seemed to bat an eye about it. But how could Apple make such a change without tracking your iOS usage? Maybe it wasn't true but it mysteriously never got debunked, it just sort of died off. But you and other people here would be trying to stir up a witch hunt if it were suspected that Google were doing such tracking.

post #46 of 49

If I must have ads, I would prefer targeted ones. Stop showing me ads for booze, kids movies, abrasive cleaners, and menstural products! You don't know me at all, YouTube! *slams door, peels out of driveway*

post #47 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Gangnam Style :D

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

post #48 of 49
I tried it last night and it isn't a very good app It keeps stopping during play and doesn't seem to be buffering anything. I removed, reinstalled, and rebooted my 4S and same problem. The older program works OK, as does Apple's native YouTube app. This v1.01xx has some more work before it is ready for release...
post #49 of 49
Hey if you don't like the app, the mobile version of Youtube on ios has always been quite good (and more full-featured in some ways) than app versions - I expect some catch-up though now that Google's directly authoring this.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google debuts standalone YouTube app ahead of iOS 6 launch