or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's 'iPhone 5' expected to hurt PC makers, existing LTE phones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's 'iPhone 5' expected to hurt PC makers, existing LTE phones - Page 2

post #41 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

It's interesting to think about this in the context of the story from yesterday in which somebody said the iPhone 5 will add to growth. If the iPhone 5 just shifts demand from those other companies to Apple, then the net effect on growth could be very small.
This is a nice lesson in macro-economics and aggregate demand.

On the other hand, if we're measuring quality-adjusted growth.......... ;-)

post #42 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Oh Please... It's just another smartphone announcement - Nothing More/Nothing Less.
... and given Apple's rather slow adoption of many of the latest mobile technologies (e.g. LTE, NFC, larger displays, etc) the 'new ' iPhone will largely just be playing catch-up anyway.
Nice to (finally) see an iPhone update, but that's really ALL it is.

Ugh. You're still around?! I had thought that you people had slunk away whimpering with your tail between your legs after your employer got thrashed in the recent court ruling....

 

Oh well. One can always hope.

post #43 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacepower View Post


Smartphones in general are already affecting PC sales.. It's about consumers and IT departments purchasing new smartphones ( and tablets ) and postponing upgrades of their " good enough" PCs. Many consumers and companies can "make do" with their current XP or Windows 7 computers, so they use their budgets to buy smartphones.
Many smartphones are being used to do work that traditionally needed a PC. Consumers and companies can still use their current PCs to do the limited tasks the require Windows and Office.
The smartphones are evolving at an incredible rate, adding new features and whole new ways to accomplish tasks. They are the cliche, "computer in your pocket."
Who needs a new 3GHZ PC to run Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Excel? Consumers and IT departments are putting their money towards smartphones and tablets, increasing their efficiency for many ( though not all ) tasks. They are not ditching their PCs, they just don't feel the need to upgrade them ( they're "good enough" ) as often as smartphones.
Anecdotal:
I've dealt with two companies that used Windows NT 4 up until the end of 2011, bc it was good enough for their closed networks. They only upgraded bc sourcing replacement RAM and hard drives was becoming a PIA.
I have two friends who work for major Pharmaceutical companies that finally switched to Windows 7 in 2012. They won't upgrade again for at least 4 years, Windows 9 or 10. Instead, they upgrade smartphones every 2 years and have given all of their field reps iPads with custom apps.
Another friend owns his own company with 25 employees running customized $100,000 trading software. Everyone has a workstation with 2-3 monitors. Instead of buying everyone laptops or upgrading "good enough" workstations, he bought everyone iPad 2s and paid $7,000 for proprietary iOS software that integrates with their bigger system.
It's all about creating more efficiency, many times upgrading PCs won't create any new efficient ways to get work done. Therefore smartphons and tablet purchases are postponing current or future PC upgrades.

 

Well said.  My biggest gripe so far with the iPhone 5 specs is the resolution.  They are going against what they did for developers to make development easier, which is resolutions that scaled 1-to-1.  The older devices are 320x480.  The Retina is 640x960 (2x).  But now, we have what seems to be 640x1136, which means developers have to create multiple graphics to make up for that extra bit of pixels.  It may sound trivial, but it adds more development time and costs.  This is the type of fragmentation that has haunted the Android world.  Obviously it's still not as bad as Android, but sucks none the less.

post #44 of 116
I don't get why PC makers would be hurt by an iPhone.
post #45 of 116
All those comments and articles from JP Morgan are just to push the Apple stocks.
There are nothing explaining why, they just make an "analysis report" to looking for move the stocks.
post #46 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

 

But, that's why these Android phones are big. They need a large battery to get through the day with LTE, that requires a larger case, and the screen is big to distract from the fact that they had to put a giant battery in a giant case to make the battery last longer than 3 hours.

 

Again, this is the only reason Android phones all started getting supersized when they started adding LTE to them.

 

If I follow your point correctly, you are suggesting that the only reason many phones have bigger screens today is because a bigger screen was required to accomodate a bigger battery needed for LTE?

 

As a consequence, this would mean that consumer demand for a bigger screen doesn't actually exist.

 

I switched to the Galaxy S3 because of the bigger screen, not because of the LTE.  LTE actually makes very little difference to tell you the truth, reception is finicky for the time being, and often switches back to HSPA anyways. You might say that that's just me, and that I am not representative of the average consumer, but your average consumer has no idea what LTE, HSPA, GPRS or any of the rest of the telecommunications alphabet soup means. What people can appreciate with no computer background is a bigger screen.

 

I can even flat out prove you wrong, the original galaxy note had no LTE, and was enormous for the time. Hell, the Galaxy S2 didn't originally have LTE, it was added as a feature in later variants of it. The argument that screen sizes went up as a consequence of needing a bigger battery for LTE is completely unfounded. Not to mention, the gigantic screen on these phones suck up more battery than an LTE connection.... so expanding the screen size to provide extra battery for another function is akin to losing weight by eating faster.

post #47 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

The iPhone always takes IT dollars away from the PC industry. People are far more likely to upgrade their iPhone than their PC each year, and its not a whole lot cheaper than buying a PC.
Also consider that this time around, being less than a year from the last iPhone launch, no iPhone 4S owner is eligible for an upgrade, so for a least the first month of sales, anyone upgrading will be paying twice the price of a normal iPhone purchase.

 

No.  Anyone upgrading from an iPhone 4s won't get the upgrade price, but why is there this insane assumption that everyone upgrades every time a new model comes out.   I'm still using a 3gs phone.  I do plan to upgrade and I will (obviously) get the upgrade price.  

 

I have mixed feelings whether it really takes IT dollars away from the PC industry.   I don't think most consumers create budget buckets for types of purchases.   If they have the money or are willing to buy it on credit, they buy what they want when they want it.     While there are certainly many computer-based activities that you can do on the phone, most people still feel the need for a computer in both the home and office.   Either that computer needs to be upgraded or it doesn't.    I have a four-year-old MBP that doesn't need to be replaced.    If I  had a four-year-old PC, it might need to be replaced.    I think the bigger issue in the PC industry is that there haven't been big technology improvements that would push people to upgrade.     A Dell or HP machine today doesn't look or act much different than one from a few years ago. 

 

I think one could make a stronger case that the iPad takes dollars away from the  PC industry.   For those who use their computer mostly as a media and web access device, the iPad is more than sufficient.

post #48 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckVader View Post

 

assuming there is nothing BUT screen. My old 3Gs is a few millimeters shy of  fitting INTO the screen of my Galaxy S3.

 

This would mean getting rid of the home button, ear-speaker, and front facing camera, something I don't see Apple doing any time soon.

 

Wrong. 4.5" assumes edge-to-edge screen horizontally (in portrait orientation) and rounded section to rounded section vertically in the existing iPhone-4(S).

I banned myself from commenting on the Home button on this forum, but there is plenty of space for speakers and cameras. (Just look at the back panel of the iPhone-5 photos to get the idea)

Well to clarify what I meant was the large phones such as the current releases of high end Android smartphones (not including the Note which is almost a tablet) are decidedly too large to fit comfortably in a men's Levi's 501 front jeans pocket, which is is one of my standard attires. So I'm not talking about shirt pockets, or removing Home buttons and I really don't care what the exact dimensions are, just that Apple is being conservative by not to making the new iPhone too large to fit [Steve's] or my front pocket.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #49 of 116
I love all the people running around saying that NFC is a big deal. All the latest and greatest Android and WinPhones (the few that are out there in the wild) have it...right? I have never seen one person ever pull out their phone and pay for something. This technology is not wide-spread enough to be a big deal. Maybe in more larger cities this exists (probably more or less on a trial-basis), but it's still not wide-spread enough for everyone to take advantage of. If Apple does in-fact forego NFC in the next iPhone...I highly doubt it's going to hurt them. I don't think anyone but Apple-hating tech enthusiasts who weren't going to get an iPhone in the first place are the only people this will affect...and it won't affect them at all. So who cares?

http://tech.lifegoesstrong.com/article/apple-iphone-5-ready-disappointment

To the person who wrote that article: Stop whining then and get an Android or WinPhone and STFU. Waaaa! I'm trapped cause I bought billions of dollars in music and movies. Well it seems you've known of the consequences of this for a while now so you're only whining cause you're an Apple-hating Apple user probably cause it gets you sympathy (and hits) from the Apple haters out there like the one guy who commented saying (paraphrase) "I knew it was a trap (cue Admiral Ackbar) and stayed away...the poor author of this article got trapped and now he's screwed."

Now he just continues to get Apple products cause he's locked in whether he likes it (he does) or not. Why? Cause he's an iSheeple. He got sucked in and like all iSheeple he will be in line getting an iPhone 5/New iPhone and will continue to pay millions more for music and movies cause...hey...he's already trapped...might as well live it up amirite!?

What a moron. Be the bigger person and simple break free from your supposed "oppression" and swallow the billions of dollars wasted on iTunes and just get your supposedly much more advanced Android/WinPhone. You'll supposedly be more happy that way. You can't do it...can you?
Edited by carmelapple - 9/11/12 at 11:53am

Samsung Galaxy series: Faster on a benchmark, not in your hand.

Reply

Samsung Galaxy series: Faster on a benchmark, not in your hand.

Reply
post #50 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Well to clarify what I meant was the large phones such as the current releases of high end Android smartphones (not including the Note which is almost a tablet) are decidedly too large to fit comfortably in a men's Levi's 501 front jeans pocket, which is is one of my standard attires. So I'm not talking about shirt pockets, or removing Home buttons and I really don't care what the exact dimensions are, just that Apple is being conservative by not to making the new iPhone too large to fit [Steve's] or my front pocket.

I don't remember where I read this, so take it with a grain of salt, but I remember reading that 3.5" was an ideal length because you could reach any point on the screen using only one hand.  Thus raising screen size while keeping the same form factor would not solve this issue.

post #51 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckVader View Post

 

If I follow your point correctly, you are suggesting that the only reason many phones have bigger screens today is because a bigger screen was required to accomodate a bigger battery needed for LTE?

 

Well, no, battery life was a problem on Android phones before LTE, and getting bigger was how they solved the problem. With LTE, though, many of them needed to get even bigger.

 

But, otherwise, yes, and ignoring your meaningless anecdotal tale, Android phones got big only because they needed big batteries.

post #52 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueDogRandy View Post

i am excited for the new iPhone. I will purchase 4 (mine, wife, daughter,mom-in-law) as soon as they are released.

 

If I marry your daughter, will you buy me one too??

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #53 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

 

Well, no, battery life was a problem on Android phones before LTE, and getting bigger was how they solved the problem. With LTE, though, many of them needed to get even bigger.

 

But, otherwise, yes, and ignoring your meaningless anecdotal tale, Android phones got big only because they needed big batteries.

 

Unfortunately it seems being polite and respectful towards you ends in you responding in a childish way. I've never thought myself above anyone, so here goes. 

 

CHOO CHOO, logic train, last stop, you.

 

Bigger screen = needs more battery

 

Therefore, raising screensize != a way of increasing battery life

 

Therefore, getting big because they needed to increase battery life is a dumb argument.

 

A much more REASONABLE argument is that some people genuinely like bigger screens. YOU may not be one of those people, and thats ok, we accept you for who you are, the awesome person your friends probably like.

post #54 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Except you have absolutely no reason for that.

 

If this isn't proof that you should be banned immediately, there is no reason not to rename this place TrollInsider.

 

The only troll here is you and that's a shame because you weren't always that way.  If it is not glowing praise of everything Apple you try to use your moderator position to bully people out of here.  You've lost all objectivity and discourage any critical discussion which has made this forum increasingly banal. Being critical is how you improve things.  Saying everything is great is how you ensure you are passed up by your competition.  You think Steve Jobs went around saying every product they came up with was perfect?

 

Many people I've spoken with are not excited about the idea that Apple is merely stretching the 4S.  We wanted a larger screen in all dimensions and a slick design. Stretching it is about the most boring thing they could have come up with. Hopefuly the rumors are wrong and we'll get what we want.  

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply
post #55 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Some of the biggest losers out of the new iPhone launch will be competing smartphone makers who have existing 4G LTE handsets on the market. Moskowitz expects that Apple's so-called "iPhone 5" will offer better battery performance in a smaller form factor that will further label competing devices as battery and pocket "hogs."

 

Are the current LTE phones constrained by the LTE chips or the size of the screens? Looking through sites like iFixit, it's definitely the size of the screens. Other manufacturers have chosen to make larger phones to differentiate, not because of the modem inside the phone.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post
As for Europe, the impact of 4G LTE is "unclear," Moskowitz said, as it is unknown whether the device will support European LTE frequencies. Regardless, he does not believe the new iPhone will be as disruptive with respect to 4G LTE in Europe.

 

There's already devices on the market that supporting 10 LTE bands. It should be possible for the new iPhone to support European LTE frequencies.

 

Roll on tomorrow!

post #56 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

I don't get why PC makers would be hurt by an iPhone.

 

Let me make it clear. I will only use tiny words:

 

You have $500

You want new Dell

You want new iPhone

You buy iPhone

No money for Dell

Apple has happy face

Dell has sad face

Grok?

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #57 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelapple View Post

 I don't think anyone but Apple-hating tech enthusiasts who weren't going to get an iPhone in the first place are the only people this will affect...and it won't affect them at all. So who cares?
http://tech.lifegoesstrong.com/article/apple-iphone-5-ready-disappointment
To the person who wrote that article: Stop whining then and get an Android or WinPhone and STFU. Waaaa! I'm trapped cause I bought billions of dollars in music and movies. Well it seems you've known of the consequences of this for a while now so you're only whining cause you're an Apple-hating Apple user probably cause it gets you sympathy (and hits) from the Apple haters out there like the one guy who commented saying (paraphrase) "I knew it was a trap (cue Admiral Ackbar) and stayed away...the poor author of this article got trapped and now he's screwed."
Now he just continues to get Apple products cause he's locked in whether he likes it (he does) or not. Why? Cause he's an iSheeple. He got sucked in and like all iSheeple he will be in line getting an iPhone 5/New iPhone and will continue to pay millions more for music and movies cause...hey...he's already trapped...might as well live it up amirite!?
What a moron. Be the bigger person and simple break free from your supposed "oppression" and swallow the billions of dollars wasted on iTunes and just get your supposedly much more advanced Android/WinPhone. You'll supposedly be more happy that way. You can't do it...can you?

 

Wow, just...wow.  This is what this place has become.

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply
post #58 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

I don't get why PC makers would be hurt by an iPhone.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

 

Let me make it clear. I will only use tiny words:

 

You have $500

You want new Dell

You want new iPhone

You buy iPhone

No money for Dell

Apple has happy face

Dell has sad face

Grok?

 

Ditto what he said.  Some people just don't the the fact that is is a finite amount of money people are going to spend on tech,  If I buy a new phone, no new computer this coming holiday season.

post #59 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckVader View Post

Unfortunately it seems being polite and respectful towards you ends in you responding in a childish way. I've never thought myself above anyone, so here goes. 

CHOO CHOO, logic train, last stop, you.

Bigger screen = needs more battery

Therefore, raising screensize != a way of increasing battery life

Therefore, getting big because they needed to increase battery life is a dumb argument.

A much more REASONABLE argument is that some people genuinely like bigger screens. YOU may not be one of those people, and thats ok, we accept you for who you are, the awesome person your friends probably like.
There is more than one logical reason for anything that is done. Larger screen size does require more battery life, however, it also provides a larger internal area for the phone to hold a battery that can hold a much larger charge than the increase in screen size will offset. Not saying he is right, but I am saying your logic analysis is flawed...
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #60 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueDogRandy View Post

what a lame ass article. The iphone 4S was a excellent upgrade from the 4, and it outsold every shitty ass droid phone by a wide margin. The next iphone will again outsell all others, and it's former iterations as well. If you were disappointed that Apple didn't consult you directly to make sure that their phone would be just exactly what you wanted - then too bad.

i am excited for the new iPhone. I will purchase 4 (mine, wife, daughter,mom-in-law) as soon as they are released.

You sound completely rational and unbiased.  It's obvious you've put a lot of thought into this as it's your 5th post in 7+ years.  You have made me see the light.  Yes, I will buy 5 now!  Thank you!

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply
post #61 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

 

Wow, just...wow.  This is what this place has become.

Really? The point is...if you were disappointed and feel you are going to be disappointed again...move on. Get whatever it is that makes you happy and stop making excuses like "It's a trap! Oh well, I'm stuck". Apple is going to do what Apple thinks is best for Apple. People will likely buy it whether you are disappointed or not. If you don't like it, that's fine...the competition has a wide range of phones that will probably suit you better. Meanwhile there are millions of people who love their iPhone and don't care about the Android/WinPhone spec-wars. 

 

Looking at your signature, you sure seem to love Apple products. Right? Well clearly they just aren't getting it right with the iPhone...so move on. Why sit around here and whine about something nobody here can control or change? You think you're going to be disappointed? Boohoo. Move on. Break the yoke of tyranny and oppression. Go out and get that 5" Galaxy Note or whatever hand-stretching phone you want. It's ok. Apple will still take your money on everything else. I promise.

Samsung Galaxy series: Faster on a benchmark, not in your hand.

Reply

Samsung Galaxy series: Faster on a benchmark, not in your hand.

Reply
post #62 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckVader View Post

I don't remember where I read this, so take it with a grain of salt, but I remember reading that 3.5" was an ideal length because you could reach any point on the screen using only one hand.  Thus raising screen size while keeping the same form factor would not solve this issue.

Why reading it somewhere if you can always see for yourself?
Try one handed grip of the iPhone 4(s) and see if your thumb can reach the entire bottom area. Likely yes. Try the same with top area up to the imaginary line after which rounded corners start. Likely you can do it too.
And that's the extra inch!
post #63 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

There is more than one logical reason for anything that is done. Larger screen size does require more battery life, however, it also provides a larger internal area for the phone to hold a battery that can hold a much larger charge than the increase in screen size will offset. Not saying he is right, but I am saying your logic analysis is flawed...

 

 

If we assume for a moment that rate at which battery consumption rises with screen size is less than the benefits afforded by additional battery space then we are still left with one problem. That problem is that in order for Anonymouse's theory to work, it means that all manufacturers other than Apple have come to the same strategy of raising battery life by raising phone size. Samsung, LG, Nokia, HTC, Blackberry, Sony, and every other manufacturer has slowly been increasing screensize. And now, even Apple is following suite. Is it possible that the goal of this was to increase battery life? sure. 

 

However, the one concession I granted is one that is not true at all in reality.  As screen size goes up, it takes up proportionately more and more of the battery. Here is a screenshot of yesterday's battery consumption by category on my S3:

 

 

The screen takes BY FAR the most battery. If we did not have a propensity making bigger phones while at the same time making them thinner, this might not be the case, but due to this, physical battery sizes are not rising at the same proportion as whole phone sizes. Thus raising phone size to raise battery life is not a viable strategy. Thus some people genuinely like bigger screens and the inclusion of LTE in android phones earlier had absolutely nothing to do with them getting bigger.

post #64 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelapple View Post

Really? The point is...if you were disappointed and feel you are going to be disappointed again...move on. Get whatever it is that makes you happy and stop making excuses like "It's a trap! Oh well, I'm stuck". Apple is going to do what Apple thinks is best for Apple. People will likely buy it whether you are disappointed or not. If you don't like it, that's fine...the competition has a wide range of phones that will probably suit you better. Meanwhile there are millions of people who love their iPhone and don't care about the Android/WinPhone spec-wars. 

 

Looking at your signature, you sure seem to love Apple products. Right? Well clearly they just aren't getting it right with the iPhone...so move on. Why sit around here and whine about something nobody here can control or change? You think you're going to be disappointed? Boohoo. Move on. Break the yoke of tyranny and oppression. Go out and get that 5" Galaxy Note or whatever hand-stretching phone you want. It's ok. Apple will still take your money on everything else. I promise.

 

Yes, I do love Apple products and that's why I'm so disappointed with the direction they are going.  Am I not allowed to voice that displeasure?  All I see here are people saying how great it is and I don't feel the same...not with this phone anyway.  I was quite when the 4S came out but not this time.  A great company loses a transcendent leader and has a chance to prove its new leadership is up to the task of carrying on his vision and what do they do?  They stretch the phone.  Come on.  I'm not going to apologize for expecting more and being disappointed.  Boohoo yourself that you can't take someone calling a spade a spade.

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply
post #65 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evertith View Post

 

Well said.  My biggest gripe so far with the iPhone 5 specs is the resolution.  They are going against what they did for developers to make development easier, which is resolutions that scaled 1-to-1.  The older devices are 320x480.  The Retina is 640x960 (2x).  But now, we have what seems to be 640x1136, which means developers have to create multiple graphics to make up for that extra bit of pixels.  It may sound trivial, but it adds more development time and costs.  This is the type of fragmentation that has haunted the Android world.  Obviously it's still not as bad as Android, but sucks none the less.

 

Take a look in the iOS 6 SDK. Apple have set everything up to mean that developers don't need to spend extra time writing code and creating art assets.

post #66 of 116

Assuming the 6th gen iPhone has LTE, would the phone, locked to Verizon, only be a "world phone" insofar as the LTE capability was worldwide compatible?  Or could we expect it to be functional in non-LTE, non-CDMA environments?

post #67 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

 

Yes, I do love Apple products and that's why I'm so disappointed with the direction they are going.  Am I not allowed to voice that displeasure?  All I see here are people saying how great it is and I don't feel the same...not with this phone anyway.  I was quite when the 4S came out but not this time.  A great company loses a transcendent leader and has a chance to prove its new leadership is up to the task of carrying on his vision and what do they do?  They stretch the phone.  Come on.  I'm not going to apologize for expecting more and being disappointed.  Boohoo yourself that you can't take someone calling a spade a spade.

I have no problem with you calling a spade a spade...but unfortunately you actually have to wait till they announce it first before you can do that. Until then it's nothing.

 

How do you know that said leader didn't have a hand in this phone? Cause it came out a year after he died? Steve would have never let this happen when he was alive. Of course. Apple's research on this whole platform goes back years before they ever announced anything. iPhones have improved incrementally on some things and more drastically and industry-leading in others. We have no idea what Steve was involved in and what he wasn't. There are so many things you and l likely have no idea about when it comes to his involvement at Apple. You have absolutely no idea what this thing is going to look like when they likely announce it tomorrow. Maybe Cook blows the lid on a 7" inch iPhone and calls it the iPhone 7 blowing right past 5 and 6! The point is...you don't know and neither do I. So just sitting there and being disappointed from what have only been rumors and well made mock-ups is only really doing yourself a disservice. Sure, you are absolutely 100% able to call a spade a spade...but only once it's been released to the public. If Cook comes on stage and presents the phone we've all be seeing over the last several months...then be disappointed. Show Apple you mean business and take your money elsewhere. 

 

I said it already, if you don't like it...thats fine. That does mean what I think it means right? It'll be ok if you don't like the next iPhone. I did say that didn't I? You can hate the next iPhone and not upgrade and Apple will still take your money on everything else. You can still be happy buying literally everything else they make that you aren't disappointed with. They won't shun you. I promise. I never asked you to apologize for anything and they won't either. The next iPhone doesn't sell...you can say you had a hand in telling Apple what-for and maybe the next iPhone will be more what you and others expected. Maybe it won't. Who knows? 

 

Just refrain from calling anything a spade till its unveiled for all to see. 

Samsung Galaxy series: Faster on a benchmark, not in your hand.

Reply

Samsung Galaxy series: Faster on a benchmark, not in your hand.

Reply
post #68 of 116
Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post
If it is not glowing praise of everything Apple you try to use your moderator position to bully people out of here.


Hardly.


You've lost all objectivity and discourage any critical discussion

 

Nope.


Many people I've spoken with are not excited about the idea that Apple is merely stretching the 4S.  We wanted a larger screen in all dimensions and a slick design. Stretching it is about the most boring thing they could have come up with. Hopefuly the rumors are wrong and we'll get what we want.  

 

How many times has Apple come up with something that wasn't what you thought you wanted but turned out to be exactly what you were after all along? I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing, but maybe you'd prefer I hate everything they do sight unseen until sight seen? 

post #69 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsReason View Post

 

Don't forget to pick up a gallon of the Kool-Aid.  http://articles.latimes.com/2012/sep/05/business/la-fi-galaxy-sales-20120906  And that is simply one on one.  That does not include the tens of other phones contributing to Android sales dominating iOS sales.  But don't worry.  Apple will be happy to give you more Kool-Aid since the old may wear off

you troll like a typical droid dork

android sucks, but not as much as the people who come here to defend it.

New for MS dorks - Microsoft sucks just as much as the losers that come to AI to defend it

Reply

android sucks, but not as much as the people who come here to defend it.

New for MS dorks - Microsoft sucks just as much as the losers that come to AI to defend it

Reply
post #70 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

You sound completely rational and unbiased.  It's obvious you've put a lot of thought into this as it's your 5th post in 7+ years.  You have made me see the light.  Yes, I will buy 5 now!  Thank you!

You dont know what you are talking about, and you dont know who you are dealing with. 8^)

I have been around a lot more than the few posts you mention. BTW,  I usually just ram a boot straight up a droid dorks @ss and be done with them. But the management here has a soft spot for the DD's I guess. So I let them slide a bit more than I want to.

Go back to the droid dork forums and post your drivel there.

android sucks, but not as much as the people who come here to defend it.

New for MS dorks - Microsoft sucks just as much as the losers that come to AI to defend it

Reply

android sucks, but not as much as the people who come here to defend it.

New for MS dorks - Microsoft sucks just as much as the losers that come to AI to defend it

Reply
post #71 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


Hardly.

 

Nope.

 

How many times has Apple come up with something that wasn't what you thought you wanted but turned out to be exactly what you were after all along? I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing, but maybe you'd prefer I hate everything they do sight unseen until sight seen? 

 

Actually, that last time would be the iPhone 4S.  Hey, I'm hoping all the rumors are false.  I'm just saying if they are correct it's going to be a big let down.

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply
post #72 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueDogRandy View Post

You dont know what you are talking about, and you dont know who you are dealing with. 8^)

I have been around a lot more than the few posts you mention. BTW,  I usually just ram a boot straight up a droid dorks @ss and be done with them. But the management here has a soft spot for the DD's I guess. So I let them slide a bit more than I want to.

Go back to the droid dork forums and post your drivel there.

 

Oh, now I'm a "droid dork" because I said something critical of Apple.  Interesting...especially since I've spent thousands upon thousands of dollars on Apple products and exactly zero dollars on Androids. 

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply
post #73 of 116
Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post
I'm just saying if they are correct it's going to be a big let down.

 

WHY?

post #74 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Well, I did, and while the term "secular" might be applied to an event defining a century or an age, it still doesn't seem applicable,

for an event described as *maybe* defining the second half of the current year...

Thanks for checking, but I think you missed it. In the Mac OS X 10.6 dictionary there is this entry:

 Economics (of a fluctuation or trend) occurring or persisting over an indefinitely long period there is evidence that the slump is not cyclical but secular.

post #75 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

WHY?

Well, the biggest issue would be that the screen is only getting longer but not wider.  Next would be that it looks almost exactly like the 4S except for the two-tone back.  The bezel on the 4S looks huge compared to other phones and if the screen is truly not growing in width then it should be the same.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed but we'll see tomorrow.

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply
post #76 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckVader View Post

 

 

If we assume for a moment that rate at which battery consumption rises with screen size is less than the benefits afforded by additional battery space then we are still left with one problem. That problem is that in order for Anonymouse's theory to work, it means that all manufacturers other than Apple have come to the same strategy of raising battery life by raising phone size.

 

However, the one concession I granted is one that is not true at all in reality.  As screen size goes up, it takes up proportionately

more and more of the battery. Here is a screenshot of yesterday's battery consumption by category on my S3:

 

Sorry, but it's not really credible that the app launcher eats more battery than the radios. I don't think that shows either what you think it shows or what you say it shows. I think what we are looking at there is the battery consumption since you pulled it off the charger, 14 seconds prior to the screenshot. It's also been shown in LTE phone reviews that using the LTE, for say navigation, can suck down the battery faster than it can charge on some devices. Your claims regarding the respective amount of battery required by screens and radios not only aren't substantiated by you, they simply don't make sense. Larger screens do eat up more battery, but not nearly as much more as you think.

 

And, yes, it's entirely believable that Android manufacturers all adopted the same strategy, simply because that was the strategy Google recommended. These are not all independent agents with their own operating systems. We're talking about the difference between Android power management and iOS power management, and one companies efforts to improve battery life vs. a bunch of companies content with more or less off the shelf solutions.

 

Android had serious battery life problems in its infancy, and big phones was the solution.

post #77 of 116
Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post
Well, the biggest issue would be that the screen is only getting longer but not wider.

 

Using the phone with one hand tends to be important.

 

Next would be that it looks almost exactly like the 4S except for the two-tone back.
 

I fail to see how that's an "issue"; it's certainly more personal opinion. You want a phone that looks different every three months, you can buy an Android phone. Would you not buy a new iMac because the design hasn't changed "meaningfully" since 2007? 

post #78 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

 

  Hey, I'm hoping all the rumors are false.  I'm just saying if they are correct it's going to be a big let down.

I for one would actually beg to differ. The reasoning behind having a big letdown at any Apple event would be because there was too much emphasis on trying to find out what they were trying to do before it was announced. For example, posting on this forum, it is so much fun to actually talk to others and try to piece together the puzzle Apple is going to unveil. The problem comes when the unveiling happens and we feel like we already know the tricks and we find it anti climatic.
We have to remember this was one of the last things Steve helped craft and I don't feel it would of been just ANY update if he knew he was ill.

Maybe we can hope for "One more thing"?

post #79 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

This pretty much sums up how I feel 1frown.gif
http://tech.lifegoesstrong.com/article/apple-iphone-5-ready-disappointment

 

That loser was absolutely wrong last year and will be wrong this year, from your link:-

 

"Last October, all expected the iPhone 4S to have a larger screen and 4G LTE connectivity. Instead, it grew in stature and capability as much as any four-year-old turning five.

Dis-a-POIN-ted"

So what was the biggest selling smartphone last year?

Probably some paid shill, trying to salvage some sales for one of the other cellphone makers about to be washed into irrelevance by an Apple Tsunami, again.

 

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #80 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Using the phone with one hand tends to be important.

I fail to see how that's an "issue"; it's certainly more personal opinion. You want a phone that looks different every three months, you can buy an Android phone. Would you not buy a new iMac because the design hasn't changed "meaningfully" since 2007? 


200% agreement on both.
A phone that requires two hands is not a phone.
Wishing design change for a sake of change is stupid.

Personally I hate certain aspects of the current design and want it changed for specific reasons.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's 'iPhone 5' expected to hurt PC makers, existing LTE phones