or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's 'iPhone 5' expected to hurt PC makers, existing LTE phones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's 'iPhone 5' expected to hurt PC makers, existing LTE phones - Page 3

post #81 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

 

If I marry your daughter, will you buy me one too??

Umm..... the question rather answers itself, don't you think? lol.gif

post #82 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVertigo View Post


Interesting article.  It's quite right in many respects.  Apple has such a following and they know pretty much whatever phone they put out will still by the millions.. they don't need to outdo themselves... sadly. 

 

I wish this phone would have been out a year ago.  If history repeats itself, we'll see this one tomorrow, and in about a year we'll get the "S" version that is slightly beefed up... and won't see anything really "new" from apple in the way of a new phone for another 24 months.

 

Like the Galaxy S III is a slightly beefed up Galaxy S 2 which was a slightly beefed up Galaxy S?

 

Like that, you mean?

 

So how much will the Galaxy S IV "beef" up, will it be as "disappointing" as the Galaxy S III "beef up", will the media fill with another marketing beat up for the "beef up"?

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #83 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

Well, the biggest issue would be that the screen is only getting longer but not wider.  Next would be that it looks almost exactly like the 4S except for the two-tone back.  The bezel on the 4S looks huge compared to other phones and if the screen is truly not growing in width then it should be the same.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed but we'll see tomorrow.

If it's not as you'd like it, will you go away?

 

Just hoping, not asking.

post #84 of 116
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post
If it's not as you'd like it, will you go away?

 

Just hoping, not asking.

 

And people complain that I'm "mean"… 😉

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #85 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelapple View Post

Really? The point is...if you were disappointed and feel you are going to be disappointed again...move on. Get whatever it is that makes you happy and stop making excuses like "It's a trap! Oh well, I'm stuck". Apple is going to do what Apple thinks is best for Apple. People will likely buy it whether you are disappointed or not. If you don't like it, that's fine...the competition has a wide range of phones that will probably suit you better. Meanwhile there are millions of people who love their iPhone and don't care about the Android/WinPhone spec-wars. 

Looking at your signature, you sure seem to love Apple products. Right? Well clearly they just aren't getting it right with the iPhone...so move on. Why sit around here and whine about something nobody here can control or change? You think you're going to be disappointed? Boohoo. Move on. Break the yoke of tyranny and oppression. Go out and get that 5" Galaxy Note or whatever hand-stretching phone you want. It's ok. Apple will still take your money on everything else. I promise.

I suspect he's not alone in feeling that way. The one true advantage Android has over iOS is that one can switch phones, switch carriers, switch manufacturers and the money invested in apps, and other content is not lost. The guy has a right to his opinion and nobody forced you to read it. You actually helped his cause by whining so much about it yourself and made others curious about what you were ranting about.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #86 of 116
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
The one true advantage Android has over iOS is that one can switch phones, switch carriers, switch manufacturers and the money invested in apps, and other content is not lost.

 

How does iOS not afford that?

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #87 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


The one true advantage Android has over iOS is that one can switch phones...

 

We can switch phones every year.

 

 

Quote:
switch carriers...
 

We can switch carriers, even to t-mobile soon.

 

 

Quote:
switch manufacturers...
 

Well, why would one do that? Cause they all produce sucky products?

post #88 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


I suspect he's not alone in feeling that way. The one true advantage Android has over iOS is that one can switch phones, switch carriers, switch manufacturers and the money invested in apps, and other content is not lost. The guy has a right to his opinion and nobody forced you to read it. You actually helped his cause by whining so much about it yourself and made others curious about what you were ranting about.

So I don't have a right to an opinion? My opinion is that its silly to be disappointed and feel cheated about a phone that doesn't exist in consumers hands yet. It's only rumor-mills and mock-ups at this point. It hasn't been released and so we don't know what it will do...what it will look like. I was never whining. The person who wrote that article being disappointed about this phone is the one whining because now they've supposedly been sucked into the eco-system too much to move on. All they did was basically talk about the perks of Android and WinPhone and the downfalls and shortcomings of iOS and iPhones past. Yet, later in the article he states he'll probably wait in line for the new iPhone because he's been sucked in too far and apparently can't change that. If he doesn't like what Apple is doing...then he can go to the next manufacturer who is doing things more in tune with what he wants. Why is this so hard to understand? His iTunes purchases will still work on his computer...I assume. 

 

You whining about you thinking that I'm whining is probably not helping anything. The person I was replying to seems to have moved on and even said now that he hopes the phone isn't a disappointment but will cross his fingers for when the phone is revealed. That's basically what I was saying to do...in other words: don't get your panties in a bunch till you see it. If it's the phone we've been seeing for months...then be disappointed. Till then...cross your fingers and maybe it'll be a lot more "magical" than we ever imagined. Who knows.

Samsung Galaxy series: Faster on a benchmark, not in your hand.

Reply

Samsung Galaxy series: Faster on a benchmark, not in your hand.

Reply
post #89 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

The iPhone always takes IT dollars away from the PC industry. People are far more likely to upgrade their iPhone than their PC each year, and its not a whole lot cheaper than buying a PC.
Also consider that this time around, being less than a year from the last iPhone launch, no iPhone 4S owner is eligible for an upgrade, so for a least the first month of sales, anyone upgrading will be paying twice the price of a normal iPhone purchase.

Not every iPhone is sold to a person who is already an iPhone user.

The iPhone has sold more and more each year... so it cannot just be the same people buying iPhones over and over.

Every single day there is somebody at the end of their 2 year contract... and they could certainly get an iPhone.

I'm still in the middle of my 2 year contract... so I'm not ready to upgrade.

But... there are tons of people who are ready to upgrade at this very moment... and every day after that.
post #90 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

We can switch phones every year.


We can switch carriers, even to t-mobile soon.


Well, why would one do that? Cause they all produce sucky products?

You just buy a different iteration of the same phone.

The carrier thing is a moot point on that you are correct.

Other phones being sucky is subjective but you're entitled to your opinion but I firmly believe even if a phone came out that was spectacularly better than the iPhone most that have spent years entrenched in the iOS ecosystem would not leave their investment. Similar to those of us that still have unlimited data plans. I'll probably never switch to another carrier.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #91 of 116
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
You just buy a different iteration of the same phone.
The carrier thing is a moot point on that you are correct.

 

Pretending that what you said earlier isn't relevant doesn't change that earlier you said it was relevant.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #92 of 116

Nice to see Fairchild Semiconductor mentioned!  One of the oldest names in transistor and integrated circuit technology, Fairchild is one of the pioneers. Some here will have grown up with the name!

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairchild_Semiconductor

 

All the best.

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #93 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelapple View Post

So I don't have a right to an opinion? My opinion is that its silly to be disappointed and feel cheated about a phone that doesn't exist in consumers hands yet. It's only rumor-mills and mock-ups at this point. It hasn't been released and so we don't know what it will do...what it will look like. I was never whining. The person who wrote that article being disappointed about this phone is the one whining because now they've supposedly been sucked into the eco-system too much to move on. All they did was basically talk about the perks of Android and WinPhone and the downfalls and shortcomings of iOS and iPhones past. Yet, later in the article he states he'll probably wait in line for the new iPhone because he's been sucked in too far and apparently can't change that. If he doesn't like what Apple is doing...then he can go to the next manufacturer who is doing things more in tune with what he wants. Why is this so hard to understand? His iTunes purchases will still work on his computer...I assume. 

You whining about you thinking that I'm whining is probably not helping anything. The person I was replying to seems to have moved on and even said now that he hopes the phone isn't a disappointment but will cross his fingers for when the phone is revealed. That's basically what I was saying to do...in other words: don't get your panties in a bunch till you see it. If it's the phone we've been seeing for months...then be disappointed. Till then...cross your fingers and maybe it'll be a lot more "magical" than we ever imagined. Who knows.

Of course you're entitled to your opinion but I don't think it merited a tirade. Whenever an opinion is offered so harshly one draws more attention to what they're opining about than their argument. It can also seem that you're trying to convince yourself instead of others. Cant a person be critical of Apple without being lambasted?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #94 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Pretending that what you said earlier isn't relevant doesn't change that earlier you said it was relevant.

How am I pretending if I readily admitted it was a moot point and the poster was correct? What I should have said was that while the iPhone is available on more carriers it still doesn't come close to how many carriers that offer Android devices.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #95 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Using the phone with one hand tends to be important.

I fail to see how that's an "issue"; it's certainly more personal opinion. You want a phone that looks different every three months, you can buy an Android phone. Would you not buy a new iMac because the design hasn't changed "meaningfully" since 2007? 

Not trying to be a smart a$$ but you'd have to have super small hands if anything but the Note gives you problems holding it in one hand. And it hasn't been 3 months, we're going on 2 years with the current form factor. Also, a $1500 all-in-one desktop is not analogous to a smartphone.

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply
post #96 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


I suspect he's not alone in feeling that way. The one true advantage Android has over iOS is that one can switch phones, switch carriers, switch manufacturers and the money invested in apps, and other content is not lost. The guy has a right to his opinion and nobody forced you to read it. You actually helped his cause by whining so much about it yourself and made others curious about what you were ranting about.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Of course you're entitled to your opinion but I don't think it merited a tirade. Whenever an opinion is offered so harshly one draws more attention to what they're opining about than their argument. It can also seem that you're trying to convince yourself instead of others. Cant a person be critical of Apple without being lambasted?

 

Thank you dasanman69.  It's nice to see someone else here that doesn't feel threatened by very light criticism of a product.  And to answer your last question, it's become apparent that no, you cannot be in any way critical of Apple here without being lambasted.  It's scary really.  I have my own "wishlist" for what I want in a new smartphone and they are features many others are asking for.  But, since it's looking like Apple isn't going to grant those wishes I now must say,  "No, I always wanted a brand new phone that looks almost exactly like a stretched version of what I've had for the past two years. My wishes for a larger screen in all dimensions and a refreshed design were foolish and Apple knew what I 'really' wanted. I was silly to express any desires prior to Apple telling me what I wanted."  To say anything else here is taken as an affront to all that is holy.  Get a grip people, I said I'd really like a wider screen and a new design -  not that I wish harm upon your mother!

 

Is constant improvement not something to strive for?  Is it not something Steve Jobs demanded?  But what do I know...I'm apparently just an Android fanboi typing on the iMac I bought this February to replace the two previous MacBook Pros I owned.

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply
post #97 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post


Not trying to be a smart a$$ but you'd have to have super small hands if anything but the Note gives you problems holding it in one hand. And it hasn't been 3 months, we're going on 2 years with the current form factor. Also, a $1500 all-in-one desktop is not analogous to a smartphone.

 

Well, I guess it is time for Apple to consider an additional category - iPhablet lol.gif  to put in the middle of this list: iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad Mini, iPad.

Personally, I would never buy such a thing but many people (likely with giganto-hands) here seem to dream about a shovel-like iPhone.


Edited by jason98 - 9/11/12 at 6:20pm
post #98 of 116

Ok. Here's the deal: You cannot be critical of Apple for the iPhone 5/New iPhone/Whatever-it-ends-up-being-called. This is what my problem is. You are acting like its already out and it sucks. You are more than welcome to voice your displeasure about a product that is out on the market. So far, the new iPhone has not been unveiled yet. Therefore you cannot be critical of Apple and it's newest iPhone. Why is this so hard to understand?

 

You want it to have a bigger screen in width and height? Ok. You want it to have NFC? Ok. You want it to pee unicorns and rainbows? Ok. These are all valid wishes. Even the last one. You know what? It might have all but that last one! You just don't know. I am arguing against the people who claim they are already disappointed or are likely to be disappointed. You love Apple so much, oneaburns? Then have some faith. Maybe it won't be as bad as you think. Maybe it'll be worse. You just have to wait and see. I have never called you an Android anything. I have simply argued that your being disappointed is not valid yet. You cannot be critical of or disappointed in a product you haven't seen yet. 

 

There are dozens of products Apple has released to the world that were missteps...failures even...and often the most critical people are Apple's own loyal users. I never said you cannot be critical of Apple. I am often critical of Apple. Some of the things they are doing in iOS with the next version do not sound that amazing to me...but I don't have a copy of it yet, so I cannot be critical or disappointed until I have actually downloaded it on all my devices and thoroughly used it. Get what I'm saying? 

 

Wait for tomorrow. Then determine how you feel...then be critical and disappointed if things are not what you were hoping for. 

 

Ok? 


Edited by carmelapple - 9/11/12 at 6:42pm

Samsung Galaxy series: Faster on a benchmark, not in your hand.

Reply

Samsung Galaxy series: Faster on a benchmark, not in your hand.

Reply
post #99 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelapple View Post

Ok. Here's the deal: You cannot be critical of Apple for the iPhone 5/New iPhone/Whatever-it-ends-up-being-called. This is what my problem is. You are acting like its already out and it sucks. You are more than welcome to voice your displeasure about a product that is out on the market. So far, the new iPhone has not been unveiled yet. Therefore you cannot be critical of Apple and it's newest iPhone. Why is this so hard to understand?

You want it to have a bigger screen in width and height? Ok. You want it to have NFC? Ok. You want it to pee unicorns and rainbows? Ok. These are all valid wishes. Even the last one. You know what? It might have all but that last one! You just don't know. I am arguing against the people who claim they are already disappointed or are likely to be disappointed. You love Apple so much, oneaburns? Then have some faith. Maybe it won't be as bad as you think. Maybe it'll be worse. You just have to wait and see. I have never called you an Android anything. I have simply argued that your being disappointed is not valid yet. You cannot be critical of or disappointed in a product you haven't seen yet. 

There are dozens of products Apple has released to the world that were missteps...failures even...and often the most critical people are Apple's own loyal users. I never said you cannot be critical of Apple. I am often critical of Apple. Some of the things they are doing in iOS with the next version do not sound that amazing to me...but I don't have a copy of it yet, so I cannot be critical or disappointed until I have actually downloaded it on all my devices and thoroughly used it. Get what I'm saying? 

Wait for tomorrow. Then determine how you feel...then be critical and disappointed if things are not what you were hoping for. 

Ok? 

Now that's a much better written post, but even then oneaburns is agreeing with a blogger that readily admits he can be mistaken and solely offering an opinion on the rumors so far. The author expects to be disappointed with the new iPhone but very much wants to be wowed. I often view things the same way so I'm rarely be let down and more often than not I'm surprised.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #100 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Now that's a much better written post, but even then oneaburns is agreeing with a blogger that readily admits he can be mistaken and solely offering an opinion on the rumors so far. The author expects to be disappointed with the new iPhone but very much wants to be wowed. I often view things the same way so I'm rarely be let down and more often than not I'm surprised.


Agreed. And that is how I am...I'm hoping to be surprised.

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply
post #101 of 116

You think this is bad. Wait until tomorrow when AI's reporting gets linked. Then the trolls will pile on.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #102 of 116
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post
You think this is bad. Wait until tomorrow when AI's reporting gets linked. Then the trolls will pile on.

 

Wait, they don't otherwise? lol.gif

 

I really want to issue infractions for all posts tomorrow that include "That's it?", "stale", "boring", "lost its luster", "already know", and all other variants thereof, but alas, that's not happening. lol.gif Just gonna have to deal with them.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #103 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evertith View Post

Well said.  My biggest gripe so far with the iPhone 5 specs is the resolution.  They are going against what they did for developers to make development easier, which is resolutions that scaled 1-to-1.  The older devices are 320x480.  The Retina is 640x960 (2x).  But now, we have what seems to be 640x1136, which means developers have to create multiple graphics to make up for that extra bit of pixels.  It may sound trivial, but it adds more development time and costs.  This is the type of fragmentation that has haunted the Android world.  Obviously it's still not as bad as Android, but sucks none the less.

You're not quite understanding how it all works. It's complicated, Let me explain some of thing things that I have read.

In an app such as Twitter or Facebook, where posts are displayed within a "GUI frame". In these apps, all the navigation buttons will all remain the same size and same code. The top and bottom of the "GUI frame" stay the exact same. I'm not a programmer so I'm not sure if the sides of apps need to be coded or if iOS frameworks do it automatically?

Whoops, scratch that about Facebook, there are no sides to the "GUI frame", not sure about Twitter since I haven't used it on an iPhone.

But let's use FaceBook as the most simple example.

Facebook app on the iPhone contains a top navigation bar, and no side or bottom, at least on my version.

The content on screen is a feed or "scrolling list" which Facebook app has already loaded. The only difference between any current iPhone and the presumed iPhone 5, is that the user gets to see more of that list on screen at once. This is easily handled by iOS and will require little or no changes by the app developer.

Games and other apps may need modification.

Simple apps that use the same GUI design concepts as FaceBook, Twitter, Kindle, Instapaper, and many others will require little or no alteration to display their content correctly in their current releases and the new iPhone. 

The TLDR

It's nothing like Android fragmentation

The iPhone 5 only will change in pixel height/vertical, making adapting current apps easy or a non issue. GUI buttons stay the same, don't need to be resized.

Of course many apps will be updated to take advantage of new APIs in iOS 6. That happens on on every good OS, when a new version of the OS is released.

Apps with more complex and custom GUIs will take more effort. Games?

Most of the apps that I use, are designed like Facebook (scrolling lists), and will need little alteration. Maybe tweeking and recompiling in Xcode for iOS 6, if the dev doesn't want to add any new features. They might work perfectly in their current release.
post #104 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTomcat View Post

All those comments and articles from JP Morgan are just to push the Apple stocks.
There are nothing explaining why, they just make an "analysis report" to looking for move the stocks.

In your world, should we acknowledge that in the last financial quarter, Apple made more profit in 2 hours than Amazon made in the whole quarter? Why is Amazon's P/E astronomical compared to Apple's? Enlighten me please wise one.

I guess you didn't read the 40 page PDF that I got yesterday from JP Morgan.

I don't want to be a jerk, but you have no idea what you are talking about.


That 40 page report covers much more than just Apple. It analyzes Apple's component suppliers, and their competition. It analyzes wireless growth, LTE expansion in the US and internationally. etc....

40 pages of analysis, which sometimes I can do more thoroughly, but you haven't even tried bc you haven't read the report....

I'm a jerk, and you know nothing about what you speak.
post #105 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

 

We can switch phones every year.

 

 

We can switch carriers, even to t-mobile soon.

 

 

Well, why would one do that? Cause they all produce sucky products?

 lol, this is why I come to AI, to get a good laugh. Really? You're answer to him is "You only need to buy from Apple because Apple produces the best products and there's no reason to buy from someone else"? You folks here in AI take fanboyism to a whole different level.

post #106 of 116
I'm buying next iPhone, and so given my budget I'm not renewing my iMac. Does that "impact PC sales"?

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply
post #107 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

"Some" folks here in AI take Apple/Android fanboyism to a whole different level.

Fixed it for you.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply
post #108 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

 lol, this is why I come to AI, to get a good laugh. Really? You're answer to him is "You only need to buy from Apple because Apple produces the best products and there's no reason to buy from someone else"? You folks here in AI take fanboyism to a whole different level.

 

Here's the problem with your objection: The truth is biased.

 

Yes, that's right. I'm sure it will come as a shock to many, but the truth is not fair and balanced. No, in fact, the truth is extremely biased in favor of the way things are. That's right, there's no use pretending that, "they are many companies out there making fine products," there aren't. Most of them are making crap. Some make worse crap than others, but it's still crap.

 

Who is making better desktops and laptops than Apple? Cheaper maybe, more tricked out perhaps, but in terms of build quality and features (which includes the OS features and integration with other devices) no one is making better computers. Customer satisfaction surveys confirm this.

 

Who is making better phones than Apple? No one, and again, customer satisfaction surveys confirm this.

 

Who is making better tablets than Apple? No one. This isn't even a serious question. There is no tablet market, just an iPad market.

 

Who is making a better package of all these items working together? No one.

 

Oh, sure, I bet if you dig deep into their accessory collection you'll find some stuff where someone makes something better. But for the headline products, the truth is heavily biased toward the proposition that, "You only need to buy from Apple because Apple produces the best products and there's no reason to buy from someone else." The truth is a real bitch about stuff like this.

 

So, if not denying the truth is taking, "fanboyism to a whole different level," well, I can live with that.

post #109 of 116

I'm waiting for the myriad of "Steve would have never let this happen if he were there" posts. They're so old and cliche now that its just funny...sad...but funny...that there are a lot of people here who knew the man so well that they can say what he would or wouldn't do. I have a very good feeling that the iPhone 5/New iPhone will be one of the things he would not have let out of the studio...or go beyond a napkin sketch on a designer's lunch break. This will likely be true even if the product ends up being amazing on all fronts...there will still be people who just won't like it cause Steve isn't around for it.

 

We'll soon see! 

Samsung Galaxy series: Faster on a benchmark, not in your hand.

Reply

Samsung Galaxy series: Faster on a benchmark, not in your hand.

Reply
post #110 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelapple View Post

I'm waiting for the myriad of "Steve would have never let this happen if he were there" posts. They're so old and cliche now that its just funny...sad...but funny...that there are a lot of people here who knew the man so well that they can say what he would or wouldn't do. I have a very good feeling that the iPhone 5/New iPhone will be one of the things he would not have let out of the studio...or go beyond a napkin sketch on a designer's lunch break. This will likely be true even if the product ends up being amazing on all fronts...there will still be people who just won't like it cause Steve isn't around for it.

We'll soon see! 


Wait, you can't have it both ways. You got upset with me and the article I linked because people were anticipating being let down and you thought they should "quit whining" until they see it. Now you're complainging about what people "might" say once it is released. Could it be you really just can't stand anyone saying anything negative about Apple?
Edited by oneaburns - 9/12/12 at 9:51am

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply
post #111 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

You think this is bad. Wait until tomorrow when AI's reporting gets linked. Then the trolls will pile on.

Right, because anyone who says anything critical about Apple is a troll. Unbelievable.

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply
post #112 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post


Agreed. And that is how I am...I'm hoping to be surprised.

 

Oh well, no surprises.  It's exactly as it was in the leaks. I wonder if NOW we're allowed to have an opinion on it ;)  Probably not.

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply
post #113 of 116
Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post
Oh well, no surprises.

 

What's your problem? Not only are you fundamentally incorrect, you're still making things up, this time not about Apple. 

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #114 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post


Wait, you can't have it both ways. You got upset with me and the article I linked because people were anticipating being let down and you thought they should "quit whining" until they see it. Now you're complainging about what people "might" say once it is released. Could it be you really just can't stand anyone saying anything negative about Apple?

 

Could it be that you just don't get it? I told you to be disappointed once you saw the actual device. Now that you have seen it...guess what?! You can now have a real opinion about it! You have seen it...and it's exactly like what we've seen in the rumors and mock-ups! It exists now for public consumption! You don't like it? Wonderful. I do not care what you say about Apple. You don't like the iPhone 5? Thats fantastic. Go to Cupertino and tell Cook and Co to go screw themselves. Tell them you and millions of others are disappointed because it doesn't do what you want it to do...or look like what you want it to look like. Why is this so hard to understand? I have asked that question like...I don't even know how many times. I don't care if you are critical of Apple...just be critical of the actual products. Not rumors.

 

What I said about the people posting about what Steve would have done was said because it's ridiculous to state that they could even possibly have any inside knowledge on what Steve would have done. Nobody knows what Steve would have done. I bet his closest friends at Apple wouldn't know exactly what he would have done. Get over yourself. Ok? It was ridiculous to be disappointed over rumors and mock-ups and it's ridiculous to claim some kind of inner knowledge to what Steve would have said or done. Could it be that you just want to pick some kind of fight now?  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

 

Oh well, no surprises.  It's exactly as it was in the leaks. I wonder if NOW we're allowed to have an opinion on it ;)  Probably not.

 

*Sigh*. Apparently what I've said is pretty hard to understand. That answers my question. Thank you.

Samsung Galaxy series: Faster on a benchmark, not in your hand.

Reply

Samsung Galaxy series: Faster on a benchmark, not in your hand.

Reply
post #115 of 116

People are more likely to upgrade their iPhone, rather than their PC every year, than to buy a PC, it's not a lot cheaper.Today most of people use the iphone.Now iphone 5 is lunch.

post #116 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

What's your problem? Not only are you fundamentally incorrect, you're still making things up, this time not about Apple. 

 

What?  Pretty clear.  I was accused yesterday of whining before it was released (even though I prefaced all my statements) and that I should wait until it's released.  Well, it was released and it's exactly as the leaks showed. How is that making things up?  This has been really fun guys but I do have a job and I can't argue with you all day when you are so biased and keep talking in circles.

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's 'iPhone 5' expected to hurt PC makers, existing LTE phones