or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › New iPod touch expected to have 1136x640 display, 32nm A5 chip

New iPod touch expected to have 1136x640 display, 32nm A5 chip

post #1 of 37
Apple is reportedly prepared to launch a new iPod touch with a 1,136-by-640-pixel display running an S5L8942X processor that will be less powerful than the S5L8950X CPU in the next iPhone.

The details were published on Tuesday by Will Strafach, otherwise known as "Chronic." He revealed that the new iPod, identified in software as "iPod5,1," is known internally at Apple by its code name "N78AP."

In July, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo with KGI Securities said he expected the new iPod touch to feature components from existing iOS products, such as the A5 processor currently found in the iPhone 4S. The S5L8942X code name aligns with the updated 32-nanometer A5 chip found in the currently available iPad 2 as well as the Apple TV.

Left: 45nm A5 Right: 32nm A5 | Source: Chipworks

The smaller iPad 2 A5 CPU, which debuted in March, was viewed as a test by Apple in utilizing Samsung's 32-nanometer chipmaking process. Hardware testing done after the release of the revised iPad 2 found that the more efficient chip improved battery life by as much as 16 percent.

The 32-nanometer A5 chip in the Apple TV is slightly different from the one found in the iPad 2. It has one core disabled, allowing it to run without a thermal pad even as it outputs high-definition 1080p video.

The details suggest that the new iPod touch will feature a new system-on-a-chip that is slower than the processor that is rumored to appear in Apple's so-called "iPhone 5." Some reports have claimed the next iPhone will feature a new chip branded as the "A6."

Chronic also posted on Twitter, but quickly deleted from his account, claims that the new iPhone 5 and iPod touch will both include built-in support for panorama photos. He since indicated that he removed the information because he was under the impression it was already publicly known.

The updated iPod touch and the new iPhone are both expected to be redesigned with a new, taller 4-inch Retina display. They are just two of a number of new products Apple is expected to launch this fall, including a smaller iPad with a 7.85-inch display.
post #2 of 37

"It has one core disabled, ..." oh no ! not again the discussion about Apple misleading the consumer with inappropriate product specifications .....

post #3 of 37

I see the iPod touch as an important part of the Apple lineup. I see it mostly used by kids in the lower grades before they get a phone. By becoming familiar with Apple products, it may make them more likely to buy a phone or other device from Apple, especially if they have a decent amount invested in the iTunes ecosystem.

post #4 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Chronic also posted on Twitter, but quickly deleted from his account, claims that the new iPhone 5 and iPod touch will both include built-in support for panorama photos. He since indicated that he removed the information because he was under the impression it was already publicly known.

Cool Panoramic Photos. I wonder how that works. 

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #5 of 37

Wouldn't that be funny.  An iPod Touch with an A6 chip.  We will probably never see an iPod Touch with an A6 quad core chip.

An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #6 of 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Cool Panoramic Photos. I wonder how that works. 

You look at pictures while listening to The Cars "Panorama" album :)

post #7 of 37
I WAS RIGHT!!! I saw the front plate somewhere.. haha. Yes. The iPad 32 nm processing makes it last 30% longer. This is going to the best iPod Touch Apple has ever made...

Edited by Strat09 - 9/11/12 at 10:26am
post #8 of 37
I'm not doubting the information, but it just goes to show you that we'll believe anything, when the name of our trusted source is "Chronic"...

Also would like to know if he gets his information from Bluntman.
Edited by diplication - 9/11/12 at 11:37am

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

post #9 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

We will probably never see an iPod Touch with an A6 quad core chip.

Why?

post #10 of 37
Why spend $200 on an iPod touch, when you could get the fabled iPad mini for $250? If you really need a small media player, get the nano.
post #11 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galley View Post

Why spend $200 on an iPod touch, when you could get the fabled iPad mini for $250? If you really need a small media player, get the nano.

Because I need a small iOS device that happens to be a media player.  That is the iPod touch.

Edited by MacVicta - 9/11/12 at 11:17am
post #12 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealg View Post

I see the iPod touch as an important part of the Apple lineup. I see it mostly used by kids in the lower grades before they get a phone. By becoming familiar with Apple products, it may make them more likely to buy a phone or other device from Apple, especially if they have a decent amount invested in the iTunes ecosystem.

iPad Nano.  Take anywhere iPad.

post #13 of 37

iPod Touch is the ultimate universal remote and home control center.  I love my gen1 iPod touch today and all I use it for is a remote to control electronics.  Oh, and on long trips for music when I don't want to burn through battery on an iPhone or iPad.

post #14 of 37

What I always liked in particular about AI were the mockups more and less shortly before a keynote. But that's a long time ago ... now I have to find mockups on a normal newspaper webpage! It seems AI did it so far, no reading newspaper is more fun to see this kind of stuff.

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/digital/geruechte-um-apple-smartphone-das-ist-das-neue-iphone-oder-nicht-1.1460362

post #15 of 37

I would love to see bigger screens on iPod as well. It's a nice portable media center, but small screen was a long time drawback I felt on it. It is good to have multiple screen options.

post #16 of 37
Quote:

I doubt if we can get iPad mini for 250$. I am more tending towards expecting one for $349 or at least 299$.

post #17 of 37
The question is, why buy the Touch instead of the rumoured Mini. Simple. The Touch is pocketable and the Mini, if it will even be released, not so much.

For situations in which pocketability is not important, I will do what I am already doing, namely use the iPad 2. When I want something I can easily slip into my pocket, the Touch.

The Rumoured Mini? A compromise all around. No thanks.
post #18 of 37
Of course it will be less powerful. Apple doesn't care about the iPod touch. They haven't upgraded it in 2 years and when it was new it still had insufficient everything.

Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

post #19 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

Of course it will be less powerful. Apple doesn't care about the iPod touch. They haven't upgraded it in 2 years and when it was new it still had insufficient everything.

According to whom?  You?  Didn't realize you set the industry's direction.  Why Apple hasn't hired you just boggles the imagination.

iPod Touch is a fantastic device that does pretty much everything an iPhone does, just without the phone and phone plan.  I will most likely buy the new one simply to use in the house as an iDevice controller and as a portable media player for my car.

post #20 of 37
Quote:

Either the Touch will cost less than $200 or the Mini will cost more than $250. Or the Touch might come with 32GB of memory standard while the Mini gets 8GB? That would explain the close pricing.

post #21 of 37
Why spend $200 on an iPod touch, when you could get the fabled iPad mini for $250?

One exists, the other doesn't. That's the big one. One fits in your pocket, the other doesn't.

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post
According to whom?  You?

Apple has always had lesser specs on the iPod touch. The first gen even initially ran at 400Mhz while the matching iPhone was 412. 

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #22 of 37

Does it matter that the Touch will be using a processor similar to the one now powering the iPad 2? Has anyone complained that the iPad is underpowered and if not, why would such processing power be a problem for a significantly smaller device?

post #23 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnraghu View Post

I doubt if we can get iPad mini for 250$. I am more tending towards expecting one for $349 or at least 299$.

$349 is too much, especialy considering the iPad 2 is priced at $400.  If Apple is selling the Touch at $200 or shocking everyone and pricing it at $150, that makes more pricing room to lower the iPad Mini from $299 to $249.  I don't want to see any of them come w/only 8GB of space, especially if they have better cameras on them.  You would need that space for pictures or videos.  16GB minimum please.

post #24 of 37
Quote:

iPod Touch is a fantastic device that does pretty much everything an iPhone does, just without the phone and phone plan.  I will most likely buy the new one simply to use in the house as an iDevice controller and as a portable media player for my car.

I can receive iMessages when I'm out..... nope

I can use the thousands of apps that depend on a network connection when I'm out..... nope

I can use the GPS feature.... nope

I can play games for hours.... not on any current touch

I can play music for hours..... YES!

I could buy a small tablet with all the limitations of the iPod touch, but a much larger screen for the same price..... YES!

Personally I see no appeal, but clearly you do and that's great.

post #25 of 37

I hate to say it but I think the Ipad Mini should  probably be priced around $249 after seeing the new Kind Fire HDs which actually have some seemingly impressive new features (watch the Amazon Keynote) for a good price.

post #26 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

Does it matter that the Touch will be using a processor similar to the one now powering the iPad 2? Has anyone complained that the iPad is underpowered and if not, why would such processing power be a problem for a significantly smaller device?

I have a 3rd gen Touch.  With each OS upgrade, it gets more glitchy. Touches don't respond, apps crash more, Safari crashes, sometimes it takes a touch 3 seconds to register.  Yep, this thing needs more power.  I pity anyone who buys a iPhone 3gs 3 year old technology now. 

post #27 of 37
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

It's not supposed to be an iPhone. What you don't see is the purpose of the device itself.

post #28 of 37

Quote:

iPod Touch is a fantastic device that does pretty much everything an iPhone does, just without the phone and phone plan.  

Quote:

I can use the thousands of apps that depend on a network connection when I'm out..... nope

I could buy a small tablet with all the limitations of the iPod touch, but a much larger screen for the same price..... YES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's not supposed to be an iPhone. What you don't see is the purpose of the device itself.

Oh c'mon Tallest, it's clear he was disputing sflocal's claim that it did almost everything the iPhone did.  He wasn't the one claiming it should be an iPhone.  Actually neither of them do, but only one of them claimed it was so close to an iPhone.  Hint, it wasn't Bregalad.  I don't know what stops him from playing games while he is out and I know while in transit I wouldn't have wi-fi, but most places I go have free wi-fi anymore, so wi-fi only isn't too terrible of a restriction.

Edited by SSquirrel - 9/11/12 at 2:56pm
post #29 of 37
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post
Oh c'mopn Tallest, it's clear he was disputing sflocal's claim that it did almost everything the iPhone did.

And as sflocal explicitly said "pretty much", there wasn't anything to dispute.

What he COULD have said, and which he did not, is "the features in functional parity are not in qualitative parity", and could have gone on to talk about how the iPod touch's cameras are of worse quality, how the speaker is worse (niggling, but valid), etc.

post #30 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And as sflocal explicitly said "pretty much", there wasn't anything to dispute.

What he COULD have said, and which he did not, is "the features in functional parity are not in qualitative parity", and could have gone on to talk about how the iPod touch's cameras are of worse quality, how the speaker is worse (niggling, but valid), etc.

Saying pretty much and then having a number of mostly valid points brought up doesn't sound like pretty much to me.  It seemed like there was plenty there to dispute to me.  "It's like an iPhone, but wireless only, no GPS and less powerful, but fully capable of other communication and game tasks when on wi-fi" yeah that would be the valid version of pretty much :)

post #31 of 37
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post
Saying pretty much and then having a number of mostly valid points brought up doesn't sound like pretty much to me.  It seemed like there was plenty there to dispute to me.  "It's like an iPhone, but wireless only, no GPS and less powerful, but fully capable of other communication and game tasks when on wi-fi" yeah that would be the valid version of pretty much :)

I dunno; I don't think you can consider the lack of a feature the device was never designed to have a shortcoming.

post #32 of 37
Quote:

The appeal is that instead of paying something like $60 a month to maintain an iPhone, I have a cellphone that costs me less than $30 a month and yet with a Touch have access to many of the programs that the iPhone runs. If I pay $200 for a Touch and combine it with a $30 a month cellphone, every three years that runs me $1,280 before taxes. An iPhone in that same three years would cost me $2,259. Is it worth it for me to save $979 every three years in exchange for losing a few bits of functionality? You bet.
Edited by Carmissimo - 9/11/12 at 5:41pm
post #33 of 37
Amazing how we have learned which SOC the new iPod will have but we still do not have any good leads concerning which the iPhone 5 is going to employ, though everyone suspects it will be the A6. I need to jump into a time machine or press fast forward to find out I guess!
post #34 of 37
Originally Posted by PeterAlt View Post
Amazing how we have learned which SOC the new iPod will have but we still do not have any good leads concerning which the iPhone 5 is going to employ, though everyone suspects it will be the A6. I need to jump into a time machine or press fast forward to find out I guess!

Doesn't the lack of Audience processing make a strong case for A6 (or, rather, something not A5)?

post #35 of 37

I'm just going to put this out there... I wonder if the iPhone 5 will have a 32-nanometre A5 chip with the second core enabled...

Edit - guess I should have read the post just above this one! I stopped reading when everyone kept posting in circles.

I still think a dual, or even quad, core A5 is possible though.

post #36 of 37
any possibility that the iPod Touch would get a SIM slot for 3G/4G data like the iPad?

(apologies if this topic has already been beaten to death on another discussion thread!)
95% of your DNA is junk.... or is it?
95% of your DNA is junk.... or is it?
post #37 of 37
Originally Posted by ajay View Post
any possibility that the iPod Touch would get a SIM slot for 3G/4G data like the iPad?

I'd say zero percent and at all points in the future.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › New iPod touch expected to have 1136x640 display, 32nm A5 chip