or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Swapping Current SSD From iMac to Mac Mini

Swapping Current SSD From iMac to Mac Mini

post #1 of 3

About 6 months ago, I upgraded my mid-2006 iMac to an SSD.  The result was amazing.  Unfortunately I'm having logic board issues.  I was having them before and had naively hoped by upgrading RAM and SSD plus OSX to Lion that the problem would go away.

I want to swap my current SSD preloaded with all my apps/music and Lion into my mid-2008 Mac Mini.  If I do this, will the mini just boot the OSX from my SSD or will it freak out because the hardware has changed, etc.?  If it won't boot, how should I go about making this switch?  I really want to keep everything as is on my SSD.

Thanks in advance!

post #2 of 3
Yeah it should boot up ok as installs aren't machine-specific but you can check before opening the Mini by booting from the drive over USB. You just get a cheap USB enclosure or adaptor cable:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-inch-IDE-Hard-Drive-Disk-HDD-External-Case-Enclosure-Box-USB-Laptop-PC-Mac-/270970309398?pt=US_Drive_Enclosures_Docks&hash=item3f1716cb16
post #3 of 3
Actually, I forgot you can check it boots by putting the iMac into target mode (holding t at boot), plug in a firewire cable between them and hold alt while booting the Mini to select the iMac's drive when it appears. To shut down the iMac when you are done and have unplugged FW, tap the iMac power button once.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Swapping Current SSD From iMac to Mac Mini