or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's website reveals iPhone 5 name, plus new iPod touch, nano & iTunes

Apple's website reveals iPhone 5 name, plus new iPod touch, nano & iTunes

post #1 of 145
With the name iPhone 5 already hinted at in Apple's invitation to its media event, search results on the company's website now appear to confirm the name of its next-generation iPhone. Also confirmed by the website are the inclusion of LTE 4G support, as well as the debuts of a new iPod touch, iPod nano, and a new version of iTunes.

Search

A search for "iphone-5" on apple.com conducted on Wednesday returned results for a number of pages that do not currently exist. Among them is a link to an inactive press release with a date of Sept. 12 named "Apple Introduces iPhone 5."

Another URL shows a "tips" article that will be located in a new iPhone 5 section of Apple's website. Two more legal documents are included among the search results with the name "iphone5,1" included in the URL. And a search for "iphone-LTE" suggests that 4G LTE connectivity will be included in the new handset.

The iPhone 5 name was hinted at last week, when the company sent out invitations for the event. In the invitations, the number 12, representing the Sept. 12 date, casts a shadow in the shape of the number 5.

Search 2

Searching the date "2012/09/12Apple" also returns a link to an inactive press release with the name "Apple Unveils New iTunes," suggesting the software will be given a major update at today's event. Finally, it was also discovered that searching "new iPod touch" returns references to a press release entitled "Apple Introduces New iPod touch, iPod nano."

Search 3

Last year, a mistaken update to Apple's online store in Japan similarly outed the name of the iPhone 4S prior to its official unveiling. Prior to that, many had expected the device would be known as the iPhone 5, but it now appears Apple saved that name for its 2012 model.

The new iPhone, iPod touch, iPod nano and iTunes are all expected to be unveiled by Apple at its media event today at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco, Calif. The keynote presentation will kick off at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern, and AppleInsider will have full, live coverage.
post #2 of 145
Oops!
Steve would fire. Heads would roll.
post #3 of 145
So the 6th iPhone is iPhone 5!
post #4 of 145
Yes....!

It's iPhone 5.

Did we expect it be anything else?

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

post #5 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

5 comes after 4.

It's really easy.

Lemon Bon Bon.

post #6 of 145
Quote:

You may call it the "new" iPhone if you'd prefer.
post #7 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

5 comes after 4.

It's really easy.

Lemon Bon Bon.

Then again 4T comes after 4S.
post #8 of 145

I think far too much is being read into the "name" as all the phones just say "iPhone" on the back anyway....

So far we've had no number on the original iPhone, 2 iPhone 3s (3G / 3GS) and 2 iPhone 4s (4 / 4S) and now it looks like the new one is the 5...

I look forward to 6 months time where we start arguing about whether the 2013 iPhone will be the 5S the 6 or the 7...

post #9 of 145
Wait, you are saying 5 comes after 4? Are you also suggesting the next iPhone could be either the iPhone 5s or iPhone 6?!?

This is just crazy talk! Cats and dogs living together! Mass hysteria!
OSX, because making UNIX user friendly is easier than debugging windows.
OSX, because making UNIX user friendly is easier than debugging windows.
post #10 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

5 comes after 4.

It's really easy.

And yet 4S came after 4 and 5 is coming after 4S. You can spin it any way you want but it's irrational to say that a '5' comes after an 'S' or '4S' and that w should never use '2".

Your next argument would likely be to say that the internal model of the CPU is 5,1 but then that would make the pecking order iPhone, iPhone S, iPhone 2, iPhone 3, iPhone 3V (for Verizon since that was 3,3), iPhone 4, and iPhone 5. Clearly that isn't how they were named.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #11 of 145
I expected the iPod updates, they are always updated at this time of year, but the new iTunes is a pleasant surprise. I hope they improve the browse and search features.
post #12 of 145
"Oops! Steve would fire. Heads would roll."

No doubt. Shows that the decline of Apple has begun. Time to see your stock!
post #13 of 145

I don't really care what they call it, I'm calling it my next phone.  Period.

post #14 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Then again 4T comes after 4S.

No, 4S II comes next, geez haven't you learned anything from Samsung?

post #15 of 145

iPhone 5 and new iTunes - search "2012/09"

post #16 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefish86 View Post

No, 4S II comes next

You mean the 4S II Super Stretch HD Duo Plus surely?

post #17 of 145
iPhone (original)=iPhone 1
iPhone 3G=iphone 2
iPhone 3GS=iPhone 3
iPhone 4=iPhone 4
iPhone 4S=iPhone 5
NEW iPhone=iPhone 6
post #18 of 145
Why do people have to snoop and try and find out everything they can about the unreleased Apple products? I myself like the surprise, I like to watch the keynotes and witness the "magic". Why not just wait and see what the next iPhone is? Now, if it isn't what everyone and their brother says it will include (4 inch screen, NFC, etc.etc..) everyone will be dissapointed and the stock will drop. Let the people who know tell us the facts!
post #19 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

I don't really care what they call it, I'm calling it my next phone.  Period.

This.

post #20 of 145
Big whoop.
post #21 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhunter101 View Post

iPhone 3G=iphone 2
iPhone 3GS=iPhone 3
iPhone 4=iPhone 4
iPhone 4S=iPhone 5
NEW iPhone=iPhone 6
YAWN.....

(this why geeks should NEVER be in charge of naming anything)
post #22 of 145

What the??? TYLER PERRY GET OUT OF OUR SEARCH RESULTS.

Mom! Tyler Perry won't leave!

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #23 of 145
I wonder if car enthusiast blogs are the same ...

"It's a Mustang 5"
"No, it's the new Mustang!"
"No, it's just 'Mustang!'"
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #24 of 145
Originally Posted by ytseman3 View Post
Why do people have to snoop and try and find out everything they can about the unreleased Apple products?

You seem to be unfamiliar with the point of this website.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
post #25 of 145
Quote:

It seems Apple have adopted the same version numbering scheme as Microsoft. aka: just stick a name on it and ship it regardless of actual version, unless there is a significant difference that even the average Joe can spot at 20 paces.

EG:

Windows 2000 = Windows NT 5

Windows eXPerience = Windows NT 5.1

Windows Vista = Windows NT 6

Windows 7 = Windows NT 6.1

Windows 8 = Windows NT 6.2

... at night.

... at night.

post #26 of 145

Tallest Skill's head is going to explode!

post #27 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Oops!
Steve would fire. Heads would roll.

Apple is doomed!™

Sell. Sell. Sell.

post #28 of 145

What time it is going to be released? Do you know when the introduction will be held?

post #29 of 145

Commiserations TS. For the record, I agreed with you.

post #30 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I expected the iPod updates, they are always updated at this time of year, but the new iTunes is a pleasant surprise. I hope they improve the browse and search features.

What I really wish that they would do is put the alphabet near the scroll bar area like they have in iOS

post #31 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

And yet 4S came after 4 and 5 is coming after 4S. You can spin it any way you want but it's irrational to say that a '5' comes after an 'S' or '4S' and that w should never use '2".
Your next argument would likely be to say that the internal model of the CPU is 5,1 but then that would make the pecking order iPhone, iPhone S, iPhone 2, iPhone 3, iPhone 3V (for Verizon since that was 3,3), iPhone 4, and iPhone 5. Clearly that isn't how they were named.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhunter101 View Post

iPhone 3G=iphone 2
iPhone 3GS=iPhone 3
iPhone 4=iPhone 4
iPhone 4S=iPhone 5
NEW iPhone=iPhone 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

It seems Apple have adopted the same version numbering scheme as Microsoft. aka: just stick a name on it and ship it regardless of actual version, unless there is a significant difference that even the average Joe can spot at 20 paces.

EG:

Windows 2000 = Windows NT 5

Windows eXPerience = Windows NT 5.1

Windows Vista = Windows NT 6

Windows 7 = Windows NT 6.1

Windows 8 = Windows NT 6.2

shut up.

post #32 of 145
OMG... Apple made a mistake. Let's have TS correct the website's HTML and edit the 5 out.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #33 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstfgrdn View Post

What time it is going to be released? Do you know when the introduction will be held?

I don't know when the 10am keynote starts either.

When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
post #34 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

What I really wish that they would do is put the alphabet near the scroll bar area like they have in iOS

That's a good idea. The whole iTunes Store feels too much like a website than an app to me.

post #35 of 145
It really sucks that ATT eliminated the early upgrades for iPhone users. Every time I upgraded to the next generation of iPhone I was eligible for a full upgrade from ATT with the full subsidized pricing.

Now, it seems I am going to have to pay $250 the fully subsidized price. Therefore, it will be $250 $399 (potential 64 GB price). I've wanted a larger screen for quite some time so I am not going to wait until May 2013, which is when the full upgrade is available to those who purchased the 4s on or very close to its launch date last year.

Anymore news as to when Apple is releasing their TV sets? I think this is going to be their next big revolutionary product. I am guessing it is going to have iOS with the App Store, etc. This will enable people to access all of their apps, e-mails, etc etc right no their TV. They are going to completely take over the living room. The iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch will most likely all be compatible and able to control the TV set.

Also, I bet they manufacture some sort of controller for video games. I was thinking they might make the controller an All in One, but it would make more sense to have a video game controller as a separate accessory. It will make gaming so much easier and will enable more complicated games to be produced. I am really looking forward to the Apple TV!
post #36 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by ytseman3 View Post

Why do people have to snoop and try and find out everything they can about the unreleased Apple products? I myself like the surprise, I like to watch the keynotes and witness the "magic". Why not just wait and see what the next iPhone is? Now, if it isn't what everyone and their brother says it will include (4 inch screen, NFC, etc.etc..) everyone will be dissapointed and the stock will drop. Let the people who know tell us the facts!

You may like the surprise, but a lot of the people who post here like to say "I knew it/told you so/predicted that months ago/..."

post #37 of 145

I think Apple has been making inconsequential mistakes in naming the iPhone since it's 2nd generation. I had friends think the iPhone 3G was the 3rd gen iPhone. And since then, the naming has just been bonkers, with maybe the exception of the iPhone 4. They really should just call it "iPhone" and be done with it like they did with iPad.

But honestly, as others have said, as long as iPhone is in the name, it'll sell with whatever suffix is appended to it.

post #38 of 145

Apple follows the naming scheme (obviously), not the physical number of iPhones released. 

I thought this would have at least been obvious by the time the iPhone 4 was released. 

post #39 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverpraxis View Post

But honestly, as others have said, as long as iPhone is in the name, it'll sell with whatever suffix is appended to it.

This.

post #40 of 145

Why are people still arguing over the name? Apple obviously have their own reasons for calling it whatever they want and it's their right to do so. Those who continue to insist it's wrong, get over it. You guys are the ones who are wrong. When you own a company and make your own products, you can name it sequentially with its generation number if you want to. Apple is obviously not following your naming scheme.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple's website reveals iPhone 5 name, plus new iPod touch, nano & iTunes
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's website reveals iPhone 5 name, plus new iPod touch, nano & iTunes