or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's website reveals iPhone 5 name, plus new iPod touch, nano & iTunes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's website reveals iPhone 5 name, plus new iPod touch, nano & iTunes - Page 3

post #81 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Yes, that's obviously the case… 

 

 

 

No, with the iPhone 4, we KNEW. DEFINITIVELY. the processor name, because we had an entire phone, high resolution images, and proof of Apple manufacture. We don't know that here (though it's looking like A6). 

 

We don't know any of that. Would you mind listing exactly what we're getting, since we 'know' it? 

 

… Just like every single year because they announce the software in advance. What we still don't know, and which we never know, are the hardware-specific features.

 

So you're ignoring that even worse leaks than these happened when Steve Jobs was alive, of course, because… "this never would have happened if Steve was around" is so tempting to post? Come ON, people. I have absolutely no usable short or long term memory, but I can go the frick back and read old articles that show in many cases we knew more then for those than we do now for this! 

 

We diverge up there, but we come right back together here. Agreed. 

 

 

I believe the only time it wasn't mentioned at the keynote was for the iPhone 3G S (because there WAS a space initially), and then in some interview one of the execs (maybe Steve himself) confirmed it was for 'speed'. 

 

 

 

And people call ME a blind fanboy.

 

It's going to be called the iPhone 5, folks. :)

 

Millions will rejoice and demand Apple take their money.  250 million of iPhone 5 in a year?  A true Jesus '5' phone. :P

 

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #82 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhunter101 View Post

iPhone (original)=iPhone 1
iPhone 3G=iphone 2
iPhone 3GS=iPhone 3
iPhone 4=iPhone 4
iPhone 4S=iPhone 5
NEW iPhone=iPhone 6

Actually, the iPhone 4 was the incorrectly named unit, as it is internally an iPhone3,1/3,2 (GSM/CDMA), with the 3GS being an iPhone2,1 and the 3G an iPhone1,2. The iPhone 4S brought the name back in-line with the internal version.
post #83 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by neosum View Post


...The only exception to this pattern was the iphone 3g, which looked like the first iphone (except for the aluminum backing)...

Actually it is the case as well with the 3G.  The exterior dimensions were different.  The plastic back was a elliptical shape and not bull-nosed like the first iPhone, and the buttons were different.  Not to mention the 3G and 3GS came in different colors as well.

post #84 of 145
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post
And doesn't answer my request for citation.

 

Got one!


Originally Posted by this link View Post
Speed: Schiller presented the lead improvement of the 3G S as its speed - in fact, he explained, that's what the "S" stands for.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #85 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I believe the only time it wasn't mentioned at the keynote was for the iPhone 3G S (because there WAS a space initially), and then in some interview one of the execs (maybe Steve himself) confirmed it was for 'speed'. 

show me the quote.  Hyperlink something and i'll believe it.  Otherwise, by your own logic, it's still just a speculation.

post #86 of 145
Speaking of digits, why are single-digit IQ people posting?
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
post #87 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverpraxis View Post

I think Apple has been making inconsequential mistakes in naming the iPhone since it's 2nd generation. I had friends think the iPhone 3G was the 3rd gen iPhone. And since then, the naming has just been bonkers, with maybe the exception of the iPhone 4. They really should just call it "iPhone" and be done with it like they did with iPad.

Since they continue to sell older models of both iPhones and iPads they should probably drop the numbering scheme altogether and perhaps adopt a more logical naming convention like naming them in the tradition of Mexican wrestling. Maniaco, Místico, Dragón Rojo, or my personal favorite, El Intocable.  

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #88 of 145
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post
show me the quote.  Hyperlink something and i'll believe it.  Otherwise, by your own logic, it's still just a speculation.

 

In the post above yours. Or do a search for "iPhone 3GS" between 6/8/2009 and 6/8/2009.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #89 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Got one!

ok, i buy that quote, but, has there ever been a quote for the 4?  4S?  people "think" the "S" is for speed again or "SIRI" but we have never heard a direct quote for it.  Nor have we one for 3G even though that one is kind of obvious.

post #90 of 145

Reminds me of the "Premature Specification" of the Power Mac G5.

 

Today's "leak" from Apple (if it indeed will be called iPhone 5) was less blatant, but that G5 goof up made for a fun day!
 

 

 

Coincidentally the number then also incremented from 4 to 5...

post #91 of 145

My goddess people, 91 posts about the *name*?!

 

Please go outside and get some fresh air, and concentrate on something truly important like, oh, electing the next president or combating global warming.

post #92 of 145
Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post
…electing the next president or combating global warming.

 

Electoral college handles the former. And entropy takes care of the latter.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #93 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

My goddess people, 91 posts about the *name*?!

 

Please go outside and get some fresh air, and concentrate on something truly important like, oh, electing the next president or combating global warming.

Come over to Ars we are arguing about F******* cables.

post #94 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

We don't have to wait more, we are in the future :P



The 3GS was clearly called like that for Speed.
I've heard and read about that, but it's still all speculation from the media and forums.  And doesn't answer my request for citation.


IIRC, the s for the 3rd gen stood for speed, Phil saying that on stage. The s for the 5th gen wasn't explained in the keynote.
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
post #95 of 145
I'm typing this on is the iPhone 4 I got during the summer of 2010.

Two years and two months later the brand new iPhone being released is the iPhone..........5?

How does that make any sense?
post #96 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Speaking of digits, why are single-digit IQ people posting?

 

Hey! I resemble that remark!

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #97 of 145
The iPhone after the 4s will be called the iphone5. Seems simple enough. And that's what apple excels at, making things simple when they could be complex. I predict no one will be confused and only the tech minded will have a problem with it. Seems like a classic apple decision to me.
post #98 of 145
Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post
Hey! I resemble that remark!


The real argument is between whether we have five or six (scored as five) IQ points. lol.gif


Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post
The iPhone after the 4s will be called the iphone5. Seems simple enough.
 

How?


I predict no one will be confused and only the tech minded will have a problem with it.

 

More than just the 'tech-minded' had a problem with Apple selling an iPad that can in fact do LTE in Australia where it cannot. I imagine most of them didn't understand why it didn't work.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #99 of 145
5 comes after 4. Youre making it too complicated. And again no one but the tech minded will have a problem with this. That and OCD ers.
post #100 of 145
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post
5 comes after 4.

 

And we've already had the 5th.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #101 of 145
So what? What problems will that present in the real world? The only problem I've seen is yours and I fail to see how that will be harmful or even acknowledged by the 10's of millions of people who will buy them.
post #102 of 145
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post
So what? What problems will that present in the real world? The only problem I've seen is yours and I fail to see how that will be harmful or even acknowledged by the 10's of millions of people who will buy them.

 

The number of people that buy a product does not make a product good or even correct. Not by a long shot. That seems to be the prevailing argument in favor of (rather, in indifference toward) the "iPhone 5" name, and frankly that's sort of disturbing to see.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #103 of 145
Dont get me wrong, I understand your logic and it seemed likely to me you would be right. But you weren't. Everyone will understand 4s then the 5. That's what matters. Your argument seems pedantic.
post #104 of 145
Also, a rose by any other name...
post #105 of 145
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post
Everyone will understand 4s then the 5.

 

I've been counting wrong for my entire life, apparently. Had no idea the number S was in there. lol.gif

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #106 of 145
Lol, that is funny. But also pedantic.
post #107 of 145
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post
Lol, that is funny. But also pedantic.

 

… Not sure how the truth can be overscrupulous… 

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #108 of 145

Tallest Skil is one funny dude

post #109 of 145
Because your opinion as to what Apples naming scheme should be doesn't equal the truth. You're bogged down in details that don't matter to 99.99% of people(<--exact calculation).
Show me how this will be a problem. Not why your logic leads you to think it should be iphone6, but the problem that will arise from calling it iphone5.
post #110 of 145
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post
Show me how this will be a problem. Not why your logic leads you to think it should be iphone6, but the problem that will arise from calling it iphone5.

 

Already have in this very thread, and elsewhere. 

 

Apple has always been about giving people "what they wanted, not what they thought they wanted". Calling the 6th device "iPhone 5" is bowing not only to what idiots in the public think—the John Q. Public who have no knowledge of the internals of Apple—but is also a virtual admittance of the stupid, pathetic whining last year that the iPhone 4S "was a stopgap" and that we were "supposed to get the iPhone 5 last year, therefore since we didn't, the next phone will be iPhone 5". The name is only still in the public mindset because of these idiots, their unrealistic expectations before the launch of the last iPhone, and the stupid rumor that Apple would be releasing TWO PHONES at the same time.

 

​Additionally, they've changed their minds about how to behave in just the past six months.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #111 of 145
I don't see that as a problem for apple in the slightest. You clearly have a problem with it. There's a big difference there.
post #112 of 145
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post
I don't see that as a problem for apple in the slightest.

 

Sorry, you don't see a problem with Apple going around to everyone and asking what they want the phone to be like? Design by committee doesn't strike you as a bad idea? It's why the Apple III had a 100% failure rate.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #113 of 145
This isn't a case of being designed by committee. It's a case of being named by what will be understood most easily. Getting the average person (or idiots as you like to say) to understand and actually use new technology has always been one of apples greater accomplishments.
post #114 of 145
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post
This isn't a case of being designed by committee. It's a case of being named by what will be understood most easily.

 

"iPhone". Terribly difficult to understand.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #115 of 145
The new iPhone "it's not terribly difficult to understand".
post #116 of 145
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post
The new iPhone "it's not terribly difficult to understand".

 

I'd like that as a tagline, sure. lol.gif

 

Maybe just in the UK.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #117 of 145
Not having the iOS number and the chip number match up with the number of the iPhone just seems ludicrous. It's like running iOS 5 on the iPhone 4. You had the latest and greatest operating system on hardware that's a year old. Why have the newest operating system called iOS 6, the newest chip called the A6, and have the sixth phone called the 5?

Because Apple is now pandering to the masses. Which is what every company in the world BUT Apple does. Steve Jobs truly was a visionary, and that will slowly fade from Apple over the years. The executives running the show now are great, but they don't have what made Steve Jobs special. Which is what made Apple special.

History repeats itself always:

In a strange twist of fate, we've already seen what Apple is without Steve Jobs.
post #118 of 145
Originally Posted by one9deuce View Post
Not having the iOS number and the chip number match up with the number of the iPhone just seems ludicrous. It's like running iOS 5 on the iPhone 4. You had the latest and greatest operating system on hardware that's a year old. Why have the newest operating system called iOS 6, the newest chip called the A6, and have the sixth phone called the 5?
Because Apple is now pandering to the masses. Which is what every company in the world BUT Apple does. Steve Jobs truly was a visionary, and that will slowly fade from Apple over the years. The executives running the show now are great, but they don't have what made Steve Jobs special. Which is what made Apple special.
History repeats itself always:
In a strange twist of fate, we've already seen what Apple is without Steve Jobs.

 

I'm truly not alone. How wonderful. 

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #119 of 145
You're not alone Tallest Skil, there are a few of us out here with some brains. Any time I've discussed this with someone I feel like I'm having a conversation with Nigel Tufnel from SPINAL TAP:

Long pause........."These go to eleven"
post #120 of 145
Yes 192, you're one of the few here with brains (eye roll).
If everyone smells like sh!t, it's time to check your nose.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple's website reveals iPhone 5 name, plus new iPod touch, nano & iTunes
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's website reveals iPhone 5 name, plus new iPod touch, nano & iTunes