or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Purported iPhone 5 logic board shows LTE modem, A6 CPU
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Purported iPhone 5 logic board shows LTE modem, A6 CPU

post #1 of 34
Thread Starter 
The flurry of last-minute leaks continues, as a new picture claims to show the logic board from Apple's iPhone 5, complete with a 4G LTE modem chip and a new A6 processor. Separately, a series of pictures appear to show the final design of the iPhone 5.

Logic


The picture, published on Wednesday by HDblog.it only hours before Apple's keynote presentation, shows space for a chip labeled "A6." That suggests the chip is a major improvement from the A5 processor currently found in the iPhone 4S, as well as the upgraded A5X processor that powers the third-generation iPad with Retina display.

Separately, images that appear to show the final design of the iPhone 5 were republished on Wednesday by nowhereelse.fr.

iPhone 5


Various reports have claimed that the A6 will be a quad-core chip. It has been suggested that the ARM processor will be based on Samsung's Exynox 4 architecture.

The A5 chip in the iPhone 4S is a dual-core processor clocked at 800 megahertz. In the iPad 2, the A5 runs slightly faster at 1 gigahertz, thanks to a larger form factor with a bigger battery.'

iPhone 5


The logic board shown in the picture also appears to include a Qualcomm 4G LTE modem for high-speed data connectivity. LTE support in the new iPhone has been widely expected since the third-generation iPad debuted with 4G LTE connectivity earlier this year.

The part shows a Qualcomm MDM9615M chip, which is an LTE modem and an improved version of the chip used in the third-generation iPad. The MDM9615M silicon was rumored in August to appear in the next iPhone.

iPhone 5


Because the MDM chip's die size is smaller than previous iterations, production yield of the modem is said to be higher and is not expected to cause issues with mass production of the iPhone 5, according to Ming-Chi Kuo, analyst with KGI Securities.

Further evidence of 4G LTE support for the iPhone 5 was discovered on Apple's website earlier Monday. Conducting a search for "iphone-lte" returned a link to an inactive page that suggested the new iPhone will have 4G LTE connectivity.
post #2 of 34

Two hours....

post #3 of 34
I think I'll get a case this time
post #4 of 34
Aluminum or Steel? That is the question.
post #5 of 34
Is it me or does it look like a flat black powdered coating around the antenna band now?
post #6 of 34

So it turns out that it's increasingly likely Apple will introduce a new CPU, and the new CPU wil be the main shocker in the hardware department, just like I've predicted. I've read endless threads of people speculating how Apple couldn't possibly have the A6 ready for the new iPhone and how they would have to resort to a souped-up version of the same CPU in the 4S, showing how they were 'falling behind' with the specs. It all makes so much sense, the A5 is decidely 'previous generation' hardware, the A5X makes no sense whatsoever in a phone because it's basically a marginally faster A5 CPU with double the GPU performance, but the GPU in the 4S was already overspecced for the screen resolution.
 

I for one am loving what I'm seeing. The same timeless design as the 4/4S, somewhat bigger screen without increasing the case size a lot, unibody construction with materials less prone to wear, tear and abuse, and top-notch internals based on current state of the art in production-ready mobile hardware. Hopefully they will also bump the baseline capacity and offer 32, 64 and 128 GB versions (this is the single one of the predictions I made a few months ago that's still up in the air).

 

Bring it on! :)

post #7 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Aluminum or Steel? That is the question.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanJobs View Post

Is it me or does it look like a flat black powdered coating around the antenna band now?

 

It must be steel because to me it looks to be parkerized (maybe bluing but hopefully parkerized because it is more effective than bluing) and only ferrous metals can be parkerized (or blued) which aluminum is non-ferrous. Hopefully I'm right and it is either one of these methods of protection and not powder coated because that would just wear off and chip way too easily and would be a cheap alternative. 

post #8 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-range View Post

Hopefully they will also bump the baseline capacity and offer 32, 64 and 128 GB versions (this is the single one of the predictions I made a few months ago that's still up in the air).

 

 

 

This is what I'm hoping for as well. Yes more things are now cloud based, but you need more than 16GB to have a good experience. Videos and pictures over one summer can fill it up quickly.

post #9 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-range View Post

So it turns out that it's increasingly likely Apple will introduce a new CPU, and the new CPU wil be the main shocker in the hardware department, just like I've predicted. I've read endless threads of people speculating how Apple couldn't possibly have the A6 ready for the new iPhone and how they would have to resort to a souped-up version of the same CPU in the 4S, showing how they were 'falling behind' with the specs. It all makes so much sense, the A5 is decidely 'previous generation' hardware, the A5X makes no sense whatsoever in a phone because it's basically a marginally faster A5 CPU with double the GPU performance, but the GPU in the 4S was already overspecced for the screen resolution.
 

I for one am loving what I'm seeing. The same timeless design as the 4/4S, somewhat bigger screen without increasing the case size a lot, unibody construction with materials less prone to wear, tear and abuse, and top-notch internals based on current state of the art in production-ready mobile hardware. Hopefully they will also bump the baseline capacity and offer 32, 64 and 128 GB versions (this is the single one of the predictions I made a few months ago that's still up in the air).

 

Bring it on! :)

 

128 GB would be nice...  I wonder what the A6 CPU foretells for the iPad and iPad Mini.

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #10 of 34

What's that white band around the screen?
 

post #11 of 34
The "bluing" looks like it's chipped right above the volume buttons. Methinks this is just some of that protective film that you remove upon delivery, a la the Apple TV.
post #12 of 34

I love reading about these leaks but at the same time I wish there weren't any - there'll be no surprises left in the announcement! I just hope the presentation doesn't fall flat!

post #13 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


iPhone 5

 

Ironically, the red arrows point to the corners of an ideal screen. If it was an iPhone-4 case, it could be in between 4" and 4.5". In this elongated case maybe up to 5".

(No comments on the Home button)

post #14 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-Windows-Fanboy View Post

The "bluing" looks like it's chipped right above the volume buttons. Methinks this is just some of that protective film that you remove upon delivery, a la the Apple TV.


Or that part got rejected because of that defect and that's how they came in possession of it.

post #15 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

What's that white band around the screen?

Hopefully a rubber buffer to protect the screen. The old one had a band too but it matched the colour of the phone.
post #16 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

 

Ironically, the red arrows point to the corners of an ideal screen. If it was an iPhone-4 case, it could be in between 4" and 4.5". In this elongated case maybe up to 5".

(No comments on the Home button)

 

Yes, maybe one day they'll revert to a phone that has the size of the 4S while keeping a big screen.

I still think that the size of the screen on my Nexus S is just perfect. Perfect width, perfect length.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


Hopefully a rubber buffer to protect the screen. The old one had a band too but it matched the colour of the phone.

 

Hopefully lol I think they just assembled the parts that they had.

post #17 of 34
When will they stop making the phone thinner? I cant picture a phone thinner then the iphone 4s being comfotable to hold for any more then 5 min.
post #18 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

When will they stop making the phone thinner? I cant picture a phone thinner then the iphone 4s being comfotable to hold for any more then 5 min.

 

Agreed, keep it the same size and keep putting in larger batteries!

post #19 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

 

Ironically, the red arrows point to the corners of an ideal screen. If it was an iPhone-4 case, it could be in between 4" and 4.5". In this elongated case maybe up to 5".

(No comments on the Home button)

Your theoretical ideal screen would be an even taller/thinner aspect ratio than the expected 16:9. I can't imagine Apple doing that.

 

Looks nice, but it isn't going to win back anyone who went Android to get a large screen.

post #20 of 34
For some reason, I don't know if Apple can bump up the storage amount for SSD memory. I just don't see the prices coming down enough to warrant that when they are doing other things that increase the cost to mfg. Larger screen, case, faster processor, possibly more RAM, better cell chip, possibly dual microphones, and other little things cost money and I think at this point SSD memory is just another thing that might push the cost up to much at this point in time.

personally, I think people just have to learn to manage the apps and content they carry around. I periodically remove apps if I am not using them.
post #21 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

For some reason, I don't know if Apple can bump up the storage amount for SSD memory. I just don't see the prices coming down enough to warrant that when they are doing other things that increase the cost to mfg. Larger screen, case, faster processor, possibly more RAM, better cell chip, possibly dual microphones, and other little things cost money and I think at this point SSD memory is just another thing that might push the cost up to much at this point in time.
personally, I think people just have to learn to manage the apps and content they carry around. I periodically remove apps if I am not using them.

 

They can just Finally put in sd card slots. Make it a tray just like the sim card. manage it just like windows phones do  make it a part of total memory. This also makes it secure since you cant just take the sd card out and read whats on it on a computer.

 

heck they can do away with onboard memory totally and sell the iphone with an sd card of say 16 gig or 32 gig.  This would allow them to even sell a cheaper iphone with no memory at all and you provide the sd card. Ios can be on its own flash chip onboard.

post #22 of 34
"It has been suggested that the ARM processor will be based on Samsung's Exynox 4 architecture."

Do you realize that what you say does not make any sense. The Exynos is not an Arm architecture but a Samsung SoC which uses Arm processors. Apple Ax processors do not have anything to do with the Exynos SoCs and I doubt Apple will put itself in dependence to anything Samsung produces given that they are not really friends recently, are they? In fact, Apple SoCs have significant difference in architecture from the image processing chip to the GPU used. Apple SoCs use PowerVR GPUs, the Exynos use the Arm Mali GPUs. And note that the Apple A5X use a 128 bits wide memory controller, something which will not be available until the Exynos 5. This means that it's hardly believable that Apple will base it's future A6 on something already behind the A5X (also in terms of GPU performance). Do you get it!

Apple still depends on Samsung for the fabs where Apple SoCs are produced and if the A6 keeps th same characteristic, Apple uses the same Arm standard design also produced in Samsung fabs. But we know that Apple is trying to find other partners to produce its SoCs.

But again, Exynos has nothing to do with Apple SoCs and will never have. Please correct this silly statement.
post #23 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

For some reason, I don't know if Apple can bump up the storage amount for SSD memory. I just don't see the prices coming down enough to warrant that when they are doing other things that increase the cost to mfg. Larger screen, case, faster processor, possibly more RAM, better cell chip, possibly dual microphones, and other little things cost money and I think at this point SSD memory is just another thing that might push the cost up to much at this point in time.

personally, I think people just have to learn to manage the apps and content they carry around. I periodically remove apps if I am not using them.

I agree to your NAND theory. The price difference would be too great if they continue on the $ 100 increments. Currently we pay $ 100 for 16GB when going 16 --> 32 and pay the same for 32GB when going 32 --> 64. Can't be $ 100 for 64GB when going 64 --> 128, can it?
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #24 of 34
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
They can just Finally put in sd card slots.

 

Come on.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #25 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

 

Ironically, the red arrows point to the corners of an ideal screen. If it was an iPhone-4 case, it could be in between 4" and 4.5". In this elongated case maybe up to 5".

(No comments on the Home button)

 

By "ideal screen" you mean your idea of what an ideal screen is of course.  :-)

 

The thing is, it's really quite likely that over time the top and bottom bezel areas will in fact be reduced to match those lines (so it will match the back if for no other reason).  They won't however increase the screen size at that point but are far more likely to shrink the entire phone back to the "old" (current" size), or even smaller.  

 

So what you will see in the future is a smaller iPhone with this same 16:9 4" screen.  

 

I don't know why you can't seem to understand this basic idea.  Apple isn't going to change the screen size on a whim or change it back and forth based on what's "popular" with the competition or because that's what everyone wants this year.  

 

They change it based on what's best for the phone, not what jason thinks is cool.  If there was a good reason to change it to 4.5" or 5" they would have already done so.  

post #26 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post


I agree to your NAND theory. The price difference would be too great if they continue on the $ 100 increments. Currently we pay $ 100 for 16GB when going 16 --> 32 and pay the same for 32GB when going 32 --> 64. Can't be $ 100 for 64GB when going 64 --> 128, can it?


Can they go 32, 64, 96 instead of the suggested 128? I'm sure they can use a 32 with a 64 together.

post #27 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

128 GB would be nice...  I wonder what the A6 CPU foretells for the iPad and iPad Mini.

iPad A6 was my first thought too. It seems too soon for a new iPad but an iPad mini with a more powerful CPU than an iPad also seems a bit strange ... yet if it is in the iPhone 5 I don't see an iPad coming out with less than an iPhone.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #28 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

The thing is, it's really quite likely that over time the top and bottom bezel areas will in fact be reduced to match those lines (so it will match the back if for no other reason).  They won't however increase the screen size at that point but are far more likely to shrink the entire phone back to the "old" (current" size), or even smaller.  

 

So what you will see in the future is a smaller iPhone with this same 16:9 4" screen.  

 

I don't know why you can't seem to understand this basic idea.  Apple isn't going to change the screen size on a whim or change it back and forth based on what's "popular" with the competition or because that's what everyone wants this year.  

 

They change it based on what's best for the phone, not what jason thinks is cool.  If there was a good reason to change it to 4.5" or 5" they would have already done so.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

Your theoretical ideal screen would be an even taller/thinner aspect ratio than the expected 16:9. I can't imagine Apple doing that.

 

Looks nice, but it isn't going to win back anyone who went Android to get a large screen.

 

 

 

Actually, that's exactly what want (as I outlined in my previous posts):  4"+ screen in the OLD short case.

 
I hate the "fact" they increased the length. It does not fit my shirt pocket. It is harder to use single-handed.
post #29 of 34
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post
It is harder to use single-handed.

 

Which you know, owning one.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #30 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Which you know, owning one.

 

Stop sarcasm. You know it that it is A. logical B. obvious

post #31 of 34
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post
You know it that it is A. logical B. obvious

 

C. Completely unknown until you hold the device in your hand.

 

They did this because a larger screen becomes LESS usable with one hand any other way.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #32 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

C. Completely unknown until you hold the device in your hand.

 

They did this because a larger screen becomes LESS usable with one hand any other way.

 

Not if the *** button removed.

post #33 of 34
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post
Not if the *** button removed.

 

And there it is again.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #34 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

And there it is again.

 

See I am censoring myself :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Purported iPhone 5 logic board shows LTE modem, A6 CPU