or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple unveils redesigned iPhone 5 with 4-inch display, 4G LTE
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple unveils redesigned iPhone 5 with 4-inch display, 4G LTE - Page 4

post #121 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

 

Rather, what does this have, that an Android phone hasn't for the last year?

 

Don't say iOS.

 

iOS.

 

Dominance in customer satisfaction ratings.

 

LIGHTENING and dual band wifi.

 

Maps like Symbian Nokia had before the first Android phone was released.

 

One thing it doesn't have is an entourage of paid shills making ridiculous comments beating up fantasies of what it DOESN'T have, again..

 

...FIVE years of trashy comments like yours is SO mind numbingly BORING  💤💤💤

 

Hey why don't you go get a Galaxy note you can poke it with a stick, watch out you don't walk into poles while talking on that thing and don't poke anyone with your elbow..

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #122 of 384
Originally Posted by PJWilkin View Post
Oh crap ... we're back to the multiple models again

there are 3 different LTE models of the iPhone 5 .... this is not good, especially as you end up guessing which one your provider might use (if they have yet to roll out LTE)

Originally Posted by Booga View Post
According to the tech specs on Apple.com the iPhone 5 comes in 3 models... 2 GSM and 1 CDMA model for the different worldwide frequencies.

 

That bothers me. Why can't they just commission the creation of their own chip that handles everything?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #123 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

That bothers me. Why can't they just commission the creation of their own chip that handles everything?

 

Collusion with the US operators?

post #124 of 384

Here's the crux for me, they are touting better battery life and LTE and thinner...that's all thanks to Qualcomm's radio and R&D - not Apple. Move to Cortex A15 (excellent, but again ARM Holdings R&D, produced by Samsung) Their biggest R&D moves in the last year are the in-cell digitizer and audio/mic changes. That's about all I see. The camera is somewhat Apple, but mostly Sony. There's STILL nothing wrong with this world class device. It just would have been nice to have some ace in the hole/one-more-thing moment. 

 

Also the iPod Nano looks fantastic.

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
post #125 of 384

By far the most important feature -- the choice of LTE bands on the different versions of the phone.  Verizon, Sprint and potentially US Cellular customers will be delighted -- all current and future LTE spectrum on these carriers is represented along with a healthy dollop of international coverage, a feature that simply isn't replicated on any Android device at present.  AT&T and potentially T-Mobile customers have been screwed.  Only the lower 700MHz band and AWS LTE spectrum are on the phone and inexplicably the international frequencies are left off entirely, a situation that additionally leaves the iPhone without any hardware advantages over Android on these carriers.  Honestly, it's beyond a slap in the face to the US GSM side; it's bizarre.  It doesn't make any sense.  

 

Apple may as well try their level best to come up with a single version that supports all seven LTE bands in this release.  One sort of wonders why they didn't do it already.  Maybe AT&T has some kind of fiendish contract with them?

post #126 of 384

Haven't read any of the posts yet...

 

But there were some unresolved (avoided?) issues that they kinda' danced around:

  • 802.11ac
  • Late October iTunes release
  • iOS 6 Developer update

 

Looks as if there needs to be some co-ordination/synchronization with iPads and iMacs to be released.

 

Final Cut Pro X is due for and update.

 

Most compelling new things were iPad Nano and Touch.

 

Edit:  Jumped the gun on iOS 6 Developer update


Edited by Dick Applebaum - 9/12/12 at 3:03pm
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #127 of 384
IPhone 5? Did not see this coming.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #128 of 384

In your own hemisphere perhaps, but in the other hemisphere, it's actually summer that is near. You can ask "hill60" if you don't believe me.... While at it, you can ask him when he flushes his toilet whether the water flow clockwise or counter-clockwise..., and compare it to what you see when you do...

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Ah, the trolls are out from under their rocks today. Must mean winter is near.
post #129 of 384

Not Universal. Only the 1428 model works on AT&T's network. The 1429 model supports CDMA and GSM outside of the US/Canada. Disappointing. Is the problem technical or legal/political/contractual? The bands covered for GSM are different between 1428 and 1429.

 

I was hoping for real universality.

post #130 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

If it were a huge security flaw my Discover and Visa credit cards would not have had it for the past year. Its hugely overblown. Security is a red herring argument for why the iPhone doesn't have NFC. The reason is Apple wants to find a way to profit from it directly.

Not sure about credit cards, but several security flaws have been found in Android's implementation.
post #131 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Here's the crux for me, they are touting better battery life and LTE and thinner...that's all thanks to Qualcomm's radio and R&D - not Apple. Move to Cortex A15 (excellent, but again ARM Holdings R&D, produced by Samsung) Their biggest R&D moves in the last year are the in-cell digitizer and audio/mic changes. That's about all I see. The camera is somewhat Apple, but mostly Sony. There's STILL nothing wrong with this world class device. It just would have been nice to have some ace in the hole/one-more-thing moment. 

 

Also the iPod Nano looks fantastic.

 

In cell touch displays in phones were previously announced by LG and other Android manufacturers in the last few months. That was not Apple R&D either. There is not a lot of real innovation from Apple here. It's suppliers innovation? Absolutely.

post #132 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

 

Well,  give me an example of

 

  • Any Android with both LTE and dual WiFi band?
  • Any Android 7.6mm thin (including camera part)
  • Any 4" Android usable with single hand?

 

Any Android with all items above combined?

 

as an example, the Galaxy S II (released around eighteen months ago back in February 2011) has LTE and dual-band WiFi (2.4 and 5Ghz) and sports a relatively large screen which is quite usable.  it's about 0.9 mm thicker than the iPhone 5, however.  another example is the HTC EVO 4G LTE, released earlier this year.  it also has LTE and dual-band WiFi, a large screen, and is around 1 mm thicker than the iPhone 5.  and, there are probably several more examples.

 

the iPhone 5 looks pretty good; i may get one soon.

post #133 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

 

Is your brain failing you today?

 

What's new in the iPhone 5? A taller screen? LTE support?

 

Once again, all of these items have been present in an Android device for a year. Look up the Galaxy Nexus.

 

I don't know what you're talking about with a "similarly spec'd Android phone losing to the iPhone every day" statement. Sales? Features? What, exactly, is your point there?

 

My Galaxy Nexus doesn't have LTE.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #134 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

 

Exactly!  I'm beyond underwhelmed with this.  (I say that because I love Apple and know they can do so much better.)  This is a huge miss.  Saying they didn't go wider because you should be able to hold the phone is a cop out.  It's not as if people are dropping Androids and Windows phones left and right.  The fact is Apple got lazy.  25 months to stretch a phone????  Sorry, that's lame.  Yes, they'll have huge sales numbers but anyone not already locked into the Apple ecosystem now has a lot more to think about when getting their first smartphone.  If I did not already have so many Apple products I would not buy this.  But since I do...

 

 

 

Careful Shidell!  You'll be labeled an Android fanboy!  This is not the place for facts! ;)

And here it comes. It never fails. Each phone since the iPhone gets this. Great. You don't like it.  Move on and let everyone else delude themselves.

post #135 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

One thing it doesn't have is an entourage of paid shills making ridiculous comments 

 

Is this what you'd consider yourself to be?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

My Galaxy Nexus doesn't have LTE.

 

Uh, right. Mine does.

post #136 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrs View Post

Nope, other than his secretive but passionate love of Sony, he never has any original ideas of his own at all. And it shows..., but for his complete lack of originality, he was knighted. Everyone knows once you're knighted, everything will start to go down hill from there. Perhaps, that IS his punishment. 

Keep throwing stones at Ive. Eventually, it might form a castle. But it will probably just form a pile of worthless stones.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #137 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

 

In cell touch displays in phones were previously announced by LG and other Android manufacturers in the last few months. That was not Apple R&D either. There is not a lot of real innovation from Apple here. It's suppliers innovation? Absolutely.

Show me a phone doing it. Apple patented their implementation too. The closest thing is AMOLED in/on touch in Android phones, but that's different. So no, it's Apple R&D there.

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
post #138 of 384

I have to question those who say this is nothing special and just a small update to the 4 /4s. You have no clue what Apple just pulled off.

There is NOTHING on the market remotely close to the precision and quality of this design. I really don't care what phone you want or don't want and for whatever reason.

But at least have some integrity and acknowledge the insane amount of industrial design and technical mastery that went into creating this device. 

post #139 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

 

My Galaxy Nexus doesn't have LTE.

 

You know what he means. It was available with LTE in the US. A year ago (when the Galaxy Nexus was launched) there was no reason to introduce a international Galaxy Nexus with LTE. HSPA+ is faster in most of Europe still.

post #140 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

 

Ok, let's see at the best of the Android world in the battery department:

 

 

 

I know you fandroids will never stop increasing you phone dimensions (compensating something?). The sky is the limit if you really do not care you can't use with one hand.

So what's the next? Why stopping at 5"+.  Why not to use 7" tablets as your phone? Sure they are usable with two hands.

Yep, that's me a Fandroid.  :lol:  I've been using Apple since the mid 80's and have never even owned any other smartphone since the iPhone came out (still won't). 

 

I also love how saying a wider screen automatically means you want a 5"+ screen.  I don't think a slightly wider screen would have been a bad thing for Apple to do.  That's nowhere near a 5"

post #141 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post


And it's a huge security flaw. And there's a good chance a better technology will replace it, one that doesn't require a massive infrastructure investment to get the ball rolling.
People clamoring for NFC sound just like the people shouting for e-SATA.

It's not a huge security flaw. A huge security flaw is when I use my iPhone to make a payment with my credit card.

post #142 of 384

nvm

post #143 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

It's not a huge security flaw. A huge security flaw is when I use my iPhone to make a payment with my credit card.

 

Now cameras can capture credit card numbers by using passbook barcodes of unsuspecting people trying to make a purchase at starbucks.

post #144 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Here's the crux for me, they are touting better battery life and LTE and thinner...that's all thanks to Qualcomm's radio and R&D - not Apple. Move to Cortex A15 (excellent, but again ARM Holdings R&D, produced by Samsung) Their biggest R&D moves in the last year are the in-cell digitizer and audio/mic changes. That's about all I see. The camera is somewhat Apple, but mostly Sony. There's STILL nothing wrong with this world class device. It just would have been nice to have some ace in the hole/one-more-thing moment. 

Also the iPod Nano looks fantastic.

Apple designs a custom chipset BASED on the A15.

It being thinner isn't based on the chip. How about making the screen have the touch sensors built in instead of another layer? You think Apple buys all this off the shelf so to speak?
post #145 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

Which begs the question, if the iPhone is just now catching up, what's enticing anyone to switch? Or rather, what's encouraging them to stay?

It isn't a matter of catching up or which platform has the most features or the most users. iPhone fans like iPhones. Apple fans like Apple products. Apple makes hardware and software which seamlessly integrates with one another in an ecosystem of iCloud, iTunes, App Store etc. Most of the regulars on this forum have an iPod, iPhone, iPad, MBP, and an iMac or Mac Pro. I have owned several of each. Who exactly are you trying to reach here with your Android sales pitch? There are very few if any fence straddlers here. Only Apple fans and Android trolls. Why don't you go back to the Android Insider and defend your own platform against the hoards of iFans descending on your forum to discredit Android?

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #146 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

The greatness of Apple and Jobs was their ability to innovate beyond our wisdom. If we're reduced to giving our ideas of what Apple should be innovating, they're behind the 8 ball.
When the first iPhone came out Jobs said he had a 5 year head start. That 5 years is up, and the iPhone 5 today is nowhere close to the innovation the first iPhone was in its day.

And everyone else has about caught up. All in all though I think it's a very nice phone. I know people expected another game changer and for it to knock the SGS lll out of the water (and it some ways it absolutely does). It will sell phenomenally well. Many people on VZW didn't get the iPhone 4 because the next one was gonna be released soon and then they skipped getting the 4S because it looked like the 4, all those people will now get the iPhone 5.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #147 of 384

Can someone 'splain to me what these words mean? I knew of a Canadian hockey guy named "Don Cherry" who I think invented the phrase "Rocket Surgery" when he actually meant "Rocket Science". 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post


I'm guessing you're football illiterate.
post #148 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post


Apple designs a custom chipset BASED on the A15.
 

 

No, it IS an A15, not based. You're either compliant or not. For example Qualcomm's Snapdragon is BASED on Cortex however it is different, but OMAP, Apple A, and Exynos ARE Cortex compliant. The only thing custom is the layout. 

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
post #149 of 384
Really not worth an upgrade, even the iPhone 4S which was supposed to be a minor upgrade had more wow effect than this. Improved front camera, corrected antenna gate issues, "world phone", Siri (with hardware to support it), digital AV output, and a significant CPU/GPU upgrade without breaking compatibility with absolutely anything designed for the iPhone 4. This offers a CPUGPU upgrade, a bigger screen, and LTE in exchange for going back to requiring separate models for GSM and CDMA while breaking compatibility with everything developed for the previous dock connector (without an adapter) as well as the previous versions of the product. All the new iOS features work on the 4S, too, so those should be ignored.
post #150 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That bothers me. Why can't they just commission the creation of their own chip that handles everything?

Because it's probably not that easy to create.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #151 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post


Apple designs a custom chipset BASED on the A15.
It being thinner isn't based on the chip. How about making the screen have the touch sensors built in instead of another layer? You think Apple buys all this off the shelf so to speak?

 

Yes I do think Apple buys them off the shelf. In cell touch censors were not developed by apple and other phone manufacturers have announced in the past months that their upcoming phones will have them.

post #152 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by emacs72 View Post

 

as an example, the Galaxy S II (released around eighteen months ago back in February 2011) has LTE and dual-band WiFi (2.4 and 5Ghz) and sports a relatively large screen which is quite usable.  it's about 0.9 mm thicker than the iPhone 5

Sorry but you failed, here are the facts:

 


http://www.pcworld.com/article/240075/iphone_4_worlds_thinnest_phone_not_samsung_galaxy_s_ii.html

 

If the bulges are taken in consideration for the thickness, the Galaxy S II measures 9.91 mm, which is thicker than the iPhone 4 (9.3 mm) 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by emacs72 View Post

 

another example is the HTC EVO 4G LTE, released earlier this year.  it also has LTE and dual-band WiFi, a large screen, and is around 1 mm thicker than the iPhone 5.  and, there are probably several more examples.

 

the fact:


http://www.itarticle.net/hands-on-review-of-the-new-htc-evo-4g-lte/

To begin with, it has an easier grip because the phone is pretty thin – 9.5 mm at the thickest, where the

camera is.

 

Any other example?

post #153 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

So is that how you become a moderator here?  Discourage and ridicule the expression of any views that contrast your own?  People are making very valid points as to why this hardware upgrade is underwhelming...that is not trolling.

Cut it out. If this were like many other sites, some of those posts would have been deleted already. And you're lucky you're here, because usually, any disagreement with a mod is reason for immediate ejection.

But it's pretty obvious when people are trolling. If you don't like what I've said, then tough! I can say what I want just as you think they can say what they want.
post #154 of 384

The iPhone 5 has an A6 Processor.  I am assuming that the A6 processor in the iPhone 5 is a dual core not quad core.  If it was a quad core they would have mentioned it.

An Apple man since 1977
Reply
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
post #155 of 384
Love all the predictable, "dissapointed" posts here. Same each and every time. Apple basically reengineered, rethought, and improved every SINGLE internal aspect of the phone, including all audio/video subsystems, dramatically improved hardware, completely different build materials, better back and front camera, LTE, larger screen, new connectors AND headphones, etc etc..there's nothing they didn't touch or massively improve. But yeah it's a 'meh' and 'minor' update, cause it looks 'generally' the same. You people would have preferred if Apple slapped on a large-ass screen, wrapped it around in shitty plastic, and called it a day- thats INNOVATION, right?
post #156 of 384
tallest skil: How did you end up @ AppleInsider? Did you win their competition for the biggest flamer? I am tempted to start looking for other Apple website just because of your flaming here, you always have to have the last word and you got to spell out "your truth" all the times.
Marquiz d' Gabber von Gabberaarde

... and Windows Vista...
... fails on the Moon...
... 6x slower!
Reply
Marquiz d' Gabber von Gabberaarde

... and Windows Vista...
... fails on the Moon...
... 6x slower!
Reply
post #157 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

 

Rather, what does this have, that an Android phone hasn't for the last year?

 

Don't say iOS.

 

The app store

post #158 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

Yes I do think Apple buys them off the shelf. In cell touch censors were not developed by apple and other phone manufacturers have announced in the past months that their upcoming phones will have them.

Not for LCD with IPS.
post #159 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post


Not for LCD with IPS.

 

http://www.slashgear.com/lg-optimus-g-official-with-in-cell-touch-28244148/

 

:)

post #160 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrs View Post

The Lumia 920 [will be my next phone, BTW] has a marginally bigger but optimal 8.7 Megapixel but with F/2.0. And, if Nokia is telling "the truth nothing but the truth", the optical technology in Lumia 920 will be much more superior than the one in Iphone 5. 

 

p.s. It appears you're gonna get your Iphone 5 one day earlier than the rest of them in the States..., again. Congrats...

 

 

 

The Sony Experia S has a 12 megapixel camera.

 

I look forward to 28 Megapixel panorama's from the 6th generation iPhone.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple unveils redesigned iPhone 5 with 4-inch display, 4G LTE