or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple unveils redesigned iPhone 5 with 4-inch display, 4G LTE
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple unveils redesigned iPhone 5 with 4-inch display, 4G LTE - Page 6

post #201 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleigh Quinn View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Verizon has a meaningful network, so I think there's your decision. And LTE out the wazoo.

 Did the research on that already.

The real issue is what network options you have when you are not in LTE range.

With Verizon it's back to old CDMA networks.
Sprint I will admit I never considered.......
AT&T at least gives you Edge (being phased out), HDSPA, HDSPA+, and then LTE.

I decided to stay with AT&T, based solely on my network bandwidth coverage options.

 

I am going to re-examine the other options who use the ATT Network.  We need 3 iPhones... so the question is whether to buy unlocked or not.

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #202 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryn View Post

 

Depends where you live.  The CDMA may not be as fast but in my experience it is more reliable.  My wife's Verizon iPhone will hum along most of the time whereas I AT&T iPhone will drop to Edge but then pretty my refuse to work.  Also many times I have a 1 or 2 bar 3G signal and the data will still refuse to work.  When AT&T works it is fast a great.  A lot of the time in marginal areas it is just sh!t.  There Verizon wins.  When my contract is up in a few months my next phone will be a Verizon iPhone5.

At this point, Verizon has LTE in nearly all major to mid major areas. Dropping back isn't much of an issue even. Remember they will at 95% of the population in coverage in the next 6 months and their entire 3G map in 12. For a 2 year contract, let that settle...where will AT&T be.

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
post #203 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mode View Post

Wow!!! I didn't think Ives would drop the ball so soon after Steve's passing.
Samsung and Motto are light years ahead of Apple now in the design department.
Tech specs are somewhat solid, and iOS 6 had better be good because thats the only thing this design disaster has going for it.
Is Ives completely out of ideas???

So true light years ahead in slavishly copying the iPhone.
post #204 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

Lots of little improvements, but nothing really exciting. Getting rather fed up with their pricing actually.

$199 gets you 16GB
$299 gets you 32GB
$399 gets you 64GB

I just picked up 16GB SD cards (Class 10) for $10 each. That's a fully marked up retail price not what Apple pays.

They are making an absolute killing on the 32 and 64 GB models.

The profit margin on those higher capacity iPhones are over 60%, so they are indeed making a killing.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #205 of 384

Personally, the thing I would have liked to see would be the larger screen included without increasing the height of the handset from the 4/4S, making the home button smaller and convex, and reducing the size of the blank areas top an bottom. The thickness of the 4/4S has never bothered me, but I certainly don't want something larger to put in my pocket. I would also like to see the width on the sides of the screen (bezel) reduced.

 

To those that are dissapointed by the release I would like to relay this little story (which you may or may not find interesting).

Some years ago I did an industrial design degree. This was just before 3D computer modelling became a tool in the industry, and the flat screen plasma TV was just starting to emerge in the market for people that had way too much money.

 

We did a project on future forecasting. Predicting where various consumer products would go in 5, 10, 15, and 25 years time. While many of the product evolutions seemed to merge or to point towards humans becoming cyborgs with chips in their heads to supply media directly to the brain (he he), the forecast for the humble TV has some relevance here.

 

What is the purpose of a TV? To essentially supply an image to a viewer. A pure articulation of this concept is nothing but 'an image', no CRT tv tube, no flat screen tv, no tv stand, no extra piece of physical design or unnecessary ornamentation that interferes with the essential purity of the intent/image. Do we want to look at an image, or a TV?

 

The design forcast for the TV suggested that it would eventually reach for purity in concept and become nothing but an image (whether this be  floating in the air, mounted on the wall like a poster, or beamed directly into your head).

 

My point here is that people are looking and wishing to be amazed by the next big thing - but smartphones are already reaching for that purity of concept - from an aesthetics standpoint its already all about the screen / image, and less about everything else that makes up the phone. In reaching for that purity the size of the screen would be largely irrelevant (if it is fit for a users purpose) as long as its a screen and nothing else.

 

We are not so far away from that reality - and as we get closer there is going to be less and less companies (apple, samsung etc) can do to differentiate their products. A screen after all is just a way to display an image - its the image we care about.

 

You will note that on all of apples designs they generally are trying to strip back unnecessary ornamentaion and move towards a purity in concept. This is form-following-function in an extreme sense and I find it quite exciting. It is also why I want more screen and less phone.

 

On a side note, I think that the mind-blowing innovation will start to come when the phones get powerful enough to perform the function of your regular computer, and we start docking them into workstations etc.

 

Or if could just be time for that chip in the brain! Or perhaps you eat an apple with genetic nanites.... I digress :-)

 

Enjoy the new phone if you get one - Enjoy moaning if you don't!

post #206 of 384

I think the lack of excitement comes largely from the fact that we knew everything before the press conference and two of the biggest features (screen size and LTE) already exists on many handsets. And lets face it, Cook is hardly the salesmen Jobs was.  Steve Jobs would have sold this phone MUCH better than Cook.

 

The fact that Apple was able to increase the screen size and add LTE while (supposedly) improving battery life is amazing (if true).  The screen size and LTE are two things Apple held back on due to the potential battery issues.  The features themselves seem like Apple playing catch up, but I don't see that as the case.  Apple doesn't rush to add every feature so they can claim "first", especially if they feel it screws up the user experience.  If they pull it off with good battery life, that IS an innovation.

 

It bugs some people, but Apple is selling an experience and they want it to be consistent and solid.  Sometimes that means leaving out cutting edge technology until it has a chance to mature.  They let other manufacturers beta test it...

 

I imagine innovation in phone hardware is going to begin to slow and OS enhancements will become more of a focus.  I don't doubt Apple can dream up amazing things, but at some point dreams are limited by technology and costs.  Mobile CPU power and battery technology are going to create bottlenecks for Apple (and others), and some technology can't be produced cheaply yet.

 

Look to WWDC keynotes.  That is where you will see the most exciting announcements for the next few years relating to iPhone.  The technologies that will take phone hardware beyond where we are now is still being dreamed up in R&D departments around the world.


Edited by rednival - 9/12/12 at 1:52pm
post #207 of 384
Originally Posted by rednival View Post
I think the lack of excitement comes largely from the fact that we knew everything before the press conference… 

 

Other than the fact that we knew nothing at all before the keynote, yes, we knew everything before the keynote.

post #208 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbtinc View Post

we may have hit the "peak" of the iPhone frenzy. I switched (because ATT was so lousy) to HTC EVO and how have the LTE. I'll never look back ...

Ahem, you think people care?
post #209 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

It's a great phone and probably the best built phone on the market. Specs are top notch. The excitement just isn't there like it used to be. I foresee incremental upgrades from here on for all phones. What more can you shove in a phone?

 

Look to Microsoft to make Windows fit on a phone entirely, and allow you to dock it to a tablet enclosure or a PC dockstation.

 

It's pretty clear that "Metro" or "Modern UI" or whatever is their bridge, and Windows Phone 8 is already running the Windows 8 RT Kernel.

 

 

It's difficult to envision a worse user experience than "Windows on a phone"...

 

...Not even this:

 

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #210 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamWallace View Post

Personally, the thing I would have liked to see would be the larger screen included without increasing the height of the handset from the 4/4S, making the home button smaller and convex, and reducing the size of the blank areas top an bottom. The thickness of the 4/4S has never bothered me, but I certainly don't want something larger to put in my pocket. I would also like to see the width on the sides of the screen (bezel) reduced.

 

To those that are dissapointed by the release I would like to relay this little story (which you may or may not find interesting).

Some years ago I did an industrial design degree. This was just before 3D computer modelling became a tool in the industry, and the flat screen plasma TV was just starting to emerge in the market for people that had way too much money.

 

We did a project on future forecasting. Predicting where various consumer products would go in 5, 10, 15, and 25 years time. While many of the product evolutions seemed to merge or to point towards humans becoming cyborgs with chips in their heads to supply media directly to the brain (he he), the forecast for the humble TV has some relevance here.

 

What is the purpose of a TV? To essentially supply an image to a viewer. A pure articulation of this concept is nothing but 'an image', no CRT tv tube, no flat screen tv, no tv stand, no extra piece of physical design or unnecessary ornamentation that interferes with the essential purity of the intent/image. Do we want to look at an image, or a TV?

 

The design forcast for the TV suggested that it would eventually reach for purity in concept and become nothing but an image (whether this be  floating in the air, mounted on the wall like a poster, or beamed directly into your head).

 

My point here is that people are looking and wishing to be amazed by the next big thing - but smartphones are already reaching for that purity of concept - from an aesthetics standpoint its already all about the screen / image, and less about everything else that makes up the phone. In reaching for that purity the size of the screen would be largely irrelevant (if it is fit for a users purpose) as long as its a screen and nothing else.

 

We are not so far away from that reality - and as we get closer there is going to be less and less companies (apple, samsung etc) can do to differentiate their products. A screen after all is just a way to display an image - its the image we care about.

 

You will note that on all of apples designs they generally are trying to strip back unnecessary ornamentaion and move towards a purity in concept. This is form-following-function in an extreme sense and I find it quite exciting. It is also why I want more screen and less phone.

 

On a side note, I think that the mind-blowing innovation will start to come when the phones get powerful enough to perform the function of your regular computer, and we start docking them into workstations etc.

 

Or if could just be time for that chip in the brain! Or perhaps you eat an apple with genetic nanites.... I digress :-)

 

Enjoy the new phone if you get one - Enjoy moaning if you don't!

 

Removing the hardware buttons altogether would have been ideal (In my opinion after using a device without one for years - broken iPad home button and my Galaxy Nexus). And I think (hope) the mind-blowing innovation will be closer to that of Google glasses.

post #211 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post


Except they did the same for the 4S, too, and you've actually lost features this time around (CDMA and GSM phones are different models again). The main camera has not been changed, either; the exterior redesign was unnecessary; the new dock connector was unnecessary, headphones are more of an iPod feature than an iPhone feature (and I like them).

 

Wow. You have no idea what your talking about. The main camera has been improved for better low-light photography while becoming thinner. The new dock connector is faster, smaller (to make room for other components) and symmetrical (so it can be put in both ways). The physical design provides a better bigger screen and the metal back, while more visually pleasing, also makes the device more durable and helps with the antenna functionality.

 

But keep making things up dude. Clueless...

post #212 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryn View Post

 

Depends where you live.  The CDMA may not be as fast but in my experience it is more reliable.  My wife's Verizon iPhone will hum along most of the time whereas I AT&T iPhone will drop to Edge but then pretty my refuse to work.  Also many times I have a 1 or 2 bar 3G signal and the data will still refuse to work.  When AT&T works it is fast a great.  A lot of the time in marginal areas it is just sh!t.  There Verizon wins.  When my contract is up in a few months my next phone will be a Verizon iPhone5.

 You make a good point, however there are just some areas where it doesn't matter which service you have, there will be no coverage.
My contract is up, and I could go to Verizon, however my instincts just tell me to stay with AT&T for some reason.
 

Verizon may have the most coverage, however most of that coverage is still CDMA, which leaves me wanting. I have not used CDMA since Sprint introduced it back in 1997.

And not being able to use data while on the phone is a HUGE factor to take into account.

I live in mostly metropolitan areas, however I will admit I do go to rural locations every so often.

I should look at the roaming when I leave the country, which I will admit is one factor I did not consider.

Does Verizon lock the phone to the network, just as AT&T does? Could I just pop out the sim in, say, the UK, and add a prepaid one there and not be locked out or locked to roaming with verizon, as I would with AT&T?

I will admit I am going to eventually buy a black one, as well as a white one (pisces. decisions suck and they both look sexy, I will admit. Especially the nod to SJ @ NXT with the anodized black one) so maybe I should just get one on each network (verizon and AT&T)?

I'd hate to have two numbers, though......

post #213 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain J View Post


You know this for a fact?

 

He was pretty sick the last year or so. How much he was involved is certainly up to question, as is how much they may have changed from whatever ideas he did input to it since his death.

After his death it was widely written he worked on the iP5 closely before he died (Google it). Just as he worked closely on the this years iPad. He was on stage during Apple's WWDC keynote June 2011, he died October 2011. He obviously was strong enough to do the keynote 3.5 - 4 months before he died, why couldn't he be strong enough to work on the iPhone and other products and concepts? 

 

Since he is so highly respected in Apple for obvious reasons, it is highly doubtful Cook, Ive, and Forstall among others would make drastic changes to his visions after death.

 

If you're going to make a statement, know facts first since you are asking for facts.

post #214 of 384

What time will the pre-orders start on Friday?  Will it be 12 a.m. Eastern Time?

post #215 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

 

Are you serious? Samsung design ahead? lol

 

Personally, I found his mentioning of Motto even cuter. This is the phone that has design 'light years ahead' according to Mode, who calls the iPhone a design 'disaster'. It''s a better looking iPhone. Where the **** is the 'disaster? Try to look at that homescreen without getting a seizure. Opinions are opinions, but sometimes it's mindblogging what those who bash Apple consider (or pretend to consider) superior. BUT ITS SO EXXXXXTREME! I mean Jesus Christ. Even motorola/android fanboys panned this shit when it was shown off a few days ago. 

 

post #216 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Other than the fact that we knew nothing at all before the keynote, yes, we knew everything before the keynote.

See, even when someone tries to tell something he thinks nicely, you flame him.

 

Other than the fact that we knew how the phone looked, how almost all of its internals looked, we knew nothing at all. Corrected, see?

post #217 of 384

Apple knows they shouldn't mess too much with a good thing. 

 

All it needs are improvements here and there. That's what the iPhone 5 brings. Improvements in all the right places. iOS is already as refined as any mobile OS could get. Nothing comes close to it in terms of User Experience. 

 

Here's the "stale" iPhone:

 

 

 


 

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57398726-37/iphone-again-scores-top-spot-at-customer-satisfaction/

 
Most recent:
 

 

 

 

 

http://mashable.com/2011/09/09/apple-customer-satisfaction-survey/

 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/briancaulfield/2011/03/18/apples-iphone-tops-jd-power-customer-satisfaction-survey-again/

 

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/08/apple-again-tops-j-d-power-rankings-of-smartphone-consumer-satisfaction/

 

http://www.tuaw.com/2009/10/09/j-d-power-smartphone-study-ranks-iphone-1-in-customer-satisfac/

 

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2008/11/iphone-wins-top-business-smartphone-satisfaction-marks/

 

 

 

 

 

 

ScreenShot2012-05-28at75101PM.jpg

 

 

 

This one's interesting:

 

http://www.loopinsight.com/2012/01/09/iphone-satisfaction-at-75-closest-competitor-at-47/

 

 

 

 

Apple has consistenly topped rankings of this kind since the first or second year into the iPhone's release. 

 

EDIT: Correction, *first* year.

 

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/orchant/iphone-satisfaction-numbers-are-unreal/523

 

http://seekingalpha.com/article/44709-early-iphone-adopters-extremely-satisfied

 

 

No wonder Apple commands over 30% of the US market, with at most 2-3 phones, *all under the same roof.* NO OEMs, NO UNIVERSAL-LICENSING. 

 

I won't even mention satisfaction rates for iPads, iPods and Macs. It's all the same story across the board. For years now. 


Edited by Quadra 610 - 9/12/12 at 2:00pm
post #218 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhende7 View Post

 

Wow. You have no idea what your talking about. The main camera has been improved for better low-light photography while becoming thinner. The new dock connector is faster, smaller (to make room for other components) and symmetrical (so it can be put in both ways). The physical design provides a better bigger screen and the metal back, while more visually pleasing, also makes the device more durable and helps with the antenna functionality.

 

But keep making things up dude. Clueless...

 

Is the dock connector faster? They didn't mention it during the presentation. Link please?

post #219 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamWallace View Post

Personally, the thing I would have liked to see would be the larger screen included without increasing the height of the handset from the 4/4S, making the home button smaller and convex, and reducing the size of the blank areas top an bottom. The thickness of the 4/4S has never bothered me, but I certainly don't want something larger to put in my pocket. I would also like to see the width on the sides of the screen (bezel) reduced.

 

To those that are dissapointed by the release I would like to relay this little story (which you may or may not find interesting).

Some years ago I did an industrial design degree. This was just before 3D computer modelling became a tool in the industry, and the flat screen plasma TV was just starting to emerge in the market for people that had way too much money.

 

We did a project on future forecasting. Predicting where various consumer products would go in 5, 10, 15, and 25 years time. While many of the product evolutions seemed to merge or to point towards humans becoming cyborgs with chips in their heads to supply media directly to the brain (he he), the forecast for the humble TV has some relevance here.

 

What is the purpose of a TV? To essentially supply an image to a viewer. A pure articulation of this concept is nothing but 'an image', no CRT tv tube, no flat screen tv, no tv stand, no extra piece of physical design or unnecessary ornamentation that interferes with the essential purity of the intent/image. Do we want to look at an image, or a TV?

 

The design forcast for the TV suggested that it would eventually reach for purity in concept and become nothing but an image (whether this be  floating in the air, mounted on the wall like a poster, or beamed directly into your head).

 

My point here is that people are looking and wishing to be amazed by the next big thing - but smartphones are already reaching for that purity of concept - from an aesthetics standpoint its already all about the screen / image, and less about everything else that makes up the phone. In reaching for that purity the size of the screen would be largely irrelevant (if it is fit for a users purpose) as long as its a screen and nothing else.

 

We are not so far away from that reality - and as we get closer there is going to be less and less companies (apple, samsung etc) can do to differentiate their products. A screen after all is just a way to display an image - its the image we care about.

 

You will note that on all of apples designs they generally are trying to strip back unnecessary ornamentaion and move towards a purity in concept. This is form-following-function in an extreme sense and I find it quite exciting. It is also why I want more screen and less phone.

 

On a side note, I think that the mind-blowing innovation will start to come when the phones get powerful enough to perform the function of your regular computer, and we start docking them into workstations etc.

 

Or if could just be time for that chip in the brain! Or perhaps you eat an apple with genetic nanites.... I digress :-)

 

Enjoy the new phone if you get one - Enjoy moaning if you don't!

 It has been said the first true mass market cybernetic implant would, in fact, be a PHONE.

No more screens, just binaural interface.

And I bet apple will be first to that party as well. ;-)

post #220 of 384
I think it looks great and is just fine for an update. The white/silver model looks better that I thought it would. The shiny, chamfered edge makes a big difference. It doesn't look too blocky any more and catches the light very well and probably feels nicer to hold.

The glass looks to be totally inset so it should be much better protected from drops.

Having a big widescreen will make it so much better for apps, especially ones with the keyboard in portrait.

They don't need to do anything drastic to the iPhone from here on in. The 4S sold very well and almost changed nothing. They are following a design path and I hope they stick to it.
post #221 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

 

Personally, I found his mentioning of Motto even cuter. This is the phone that has design 'light years ahead' according to him. Try to look at that homescreen without etting a seizure. Opinions are opinions, but sometimes it's mindblogging what those who bash Apple consider (or pretend to consider) superior. BUT ITS SO EXXXXXTREME! I mean Jesus Christ. 

 

 

For sure the camera icon and background are puke-inducing.

 

edited to remove that awful picture from the quote lol

 

Where's the stream I want to see it!!

post #222 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Other than the fact that we knew nothing at all before the keynote, yes, we knew everything before the keynote.

 

 

Oh get real, every detail with pictures leaked ahead of time, right on this site.

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
post #223 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

For sure the camera icon and background are puke-inducing.

 

edited to remove that awful picture from the quote lol

 

Fortunately its Android and you can download any one of thousands of icon sets available on the Google Play store. I do hate the Moto icons. The stock google ones are great. A lot better than the stale squares of Apple.

post #224 of 384
I'm probably in the minority but I love the new iPhone design. Looks very classy, very well built. And IMO looks 1000% better than the leaks that came out. The leaks obviously didn't have the fit and finish of the finalized product. I'm seeing a lot of disappointment on the Apple blogs, but I think that's because unfortunately a lot of this stuff leaked so when it came to the keynote nothing really was new.

Anyway I wish I was due for an upgrade because I'd snap one of these up in a heartbeat!
post #225 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Ah, the trolls are out from under their rocks today. Must mean winter is near.

 

So is that how you become a moderator here?  Discourage and ridicule the expression of any views that contrast your own?  People are making very valid points as to why this hardware upgrade is underwhelming...that is not trolling.

 

The hardware and software are very solid upgrades...  The combination makes it the best phone out there!

 

For example, You can take 1080P movies on your iPhone, Edit them with iMovie and post them to the web... no fuss, no muss, no bother.

 

And later, you will (based on history) be able to upgrade to the next several releases of iOS... no rooting, no waiting...

 

What makes this meh to us -- is that we already knew most of this before the announcement.

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #226 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

For sure the camera icon and background are puke-inducing.

 

edited to remove that awful picture from the quote lol

 

Where's the stream I want to see it!!

 

Believe me, it looks much better in the pic I posted than the keynote photo they showed at the event. I tried to find that one, but couldn't. 

post #227 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm probably in the minority 

 

You aren't. It's tech-site goers that are in the minority (especially the big Apple-critics on tech sites, and they don't even know it.)

post #228 of 384
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post
Try to look at that homescreen without getting a seizure.

 

I'll bet it's even worse in person, as the image in the back is probably animated. lol.gif


Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post
See, even when someone tries to tell something he thinks nicely, you flame him.

 

Lying "nicely" is still lying.

 
Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post
Is the dock connector faster? They didn't mention it during the presentation. Link please?

 

Yeah, same? Apple, surprisingly, doesn't have a standalone page for Lightning like it does for Thunderbolt. And the only cable I see is Lightning to USB 2, which is not "faster" in any respect… 

post #229 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

 

Is this what you'd consider yourself to be?

 

 

 

Uh, right. Mine does.

 

My one is the i9250

 

So which one have you got?

 

The i515 released in November, 10 months ago or the LTE, which was released in April, 5 months ago.

 

So how did you get yours a year ago?

 

Do you work for Google or something?

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #230 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

Where's the wow factor?

 

This is pretty tired. Everything Apple's "incorporating" has been in an Android device for almost a year now, in some cases longer.

You know, this guy just needs to go ahead and take the "de" out of his name.

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply
post #231 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

 

Removing the hardware buttons altogether would have been ideal (In my opinion after using a device without one for years - broken iPad home button and my Galaxy Nexus). And I think (hope) the mind-blowing innovation will be closer to that of Google glasses.

 

 

Ahh, I agree, but technically I would see this as a 'post smartphone world/product'. I like you thoughts on removing the buttons altogether.

post #232 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

 

Is the dock connector faster? They didn't mention it during the presentation. Link please?

 

Ok, you may have got me on one point. However, with no information to the contrary, I'll save my "touché".

post #233 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleigh Quinn View Post

Does Verizon lock the phone to the network, just as AT&T does? Could I just pop out the sim in, say, the UK, and add a prepaid one there and not be locked out or locked to roaming with verizon, as I would with AT&T?

 

If you look at the LTE specs you will see that the AT&T phone will not work on international LTE frequencies so it doesn't matter whether it is locked or not.

 

The verizon phone can be unlocked by Verizon for international use.  That phone also covers the current international LTE frequencies so you will be able to get LTE in the UK as well if the local carriers there support it.

post #234 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm probably in the minority but I love the new iPhone design. Looks very classy, very well built. And IMO looks 1000% better than the leaks that came out. The leaks obviously didn't have the fit and finish of the finalized product. I'm seeing a lot of disappointment on the Apple blogs, but I think that's because unfortunately a lot of this stuff leaked so when it came to the keynote nothing really was new.
Anyway I wish I was due for an upgrade because I'd snap one of these up in a heartbeat!

 

No, you're in the majority. Please keep in mind that half the people here are Apple-hating trolls, and the other half are ADHD neck-bearded basement dwelling geeks who actually have no perspective, no idea what they want, no idea what most people want, and have kneejerk negative reactions to every Apple product ever unveiled. So, this thread is completely typical. This phone is a significant improvement in every way imaginable (aesthetics, build quality, speed, photo, video, audio, screen, etc) and its no surprise its getting a ton of hate. It will probably not only the best selling iPhone of all time, but the best selling electronic product of all time, along with having the best reviews and best customer satisfaction ratings. Meanwhile, people on boards such as these and everywhere else on the internet will continue to foam and rant about how Steve must be rolling in his grave, and how Apple should fire everyone (so far in this thread the resignations of Cook, Ive, and Forstall have been demanded). I'll be pre-ordering this on Friday, because it will be the best overall phone on the market by far. It's clear to any rational, sane human being how much thought, effort, and R&D went into it. Unfortunately, these kinds of people arent the majority in places such as this, and people here really have a messed up, insane level of entitlement. This was probably one of the most content heavy, if not THE most content heavy keynote in Apple's history. But don't expect anyone here to aknowledge that. Apple fansites are now indistinguishable from Apple hate sites, or the engadget comment section. 


Edited by Slurpy - 9/12/12 at 2:11pm
post #235 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post


I asked you.
Also, considering Apple dominates mindshare and the iPhone is almost always the best selling device, it's remains the "it" device to which everything will be and should be compared.
So how will Android exceed it?
I expect to see a laundry list of specs that are utterly meaningless. It's all about the marriage of hardware and software. You saying "don't say iOS" proves you don't get it. If it didn't matter, explain how a similarly spec'd Android phone will lose to the iPhone every day?
And Android hasn't "had this for the past year". Considering the 4S was easily the best smartphone when it was released, and this is considerably better, your logic fails.

 

Is your brain failing you today?

 

What's new in the iPhone 5? A taller screen? LTE support?

 

Once again, all of these items have been present in an Android device for a year. Look up the Galaxy Nexus.

 

I don't know what you're talking about with a "similarly spec'd Android phone losing to the iPhone every day" statement. Sales? Features? What, exactly, is your point there?

 

Well,  to be honest, Android certainly leads iOS in the number of trolls...  but, like Android -- the quality is poor.

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #236 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Love all the predictable, "dissapointed" posts here. Same each and every time. Apple basically reengineered, rethought, and improved every SINGLE internal aspect of the phone, including all audio/video subsystems, dramatically improved hardware, completely different build materials, better back and front camera, LTE, larger screen, new connectors AND headphones, etc etc..there's nothing they didn't touch or massively improve. But yeah it's a 'meh' and 'minor' update, cause it looks 'generally' the same. You people would have preferred if Apple slapped on a large-ass screen, wrapped it around in shitty plastic, and called it a day- thats INNOVATION, right?

(whiny Fandroid voice) "But there's no KITCHEN SIIINK!!! I wanna KITCHEN SIIINK!!! I wanna totally different CAAASE. I want twice the number of COOORES. I want more MEGAPIXEEELZ!!! I wanna be more elite than my FRIEEENDZ!!! They all gonna laugh at my tiny SCREEEEEN!!! I don't wanna be called SHEEEEEP!!!"

That's the approximate reasoning behind the "disappointed" trolling coming from people who were never seriously going to consider an iPhone 5 to begin with, unless it could out-kitchen sink the clones with meaningless and poorly implemented spec-sheet filling features.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #237 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm probably in the minority but I love the new iPhone design. Looks very classy, very well built. And IMO looks 1000% better than the leaks that came out. The leaks obviously didn't have the fit and finish of the finalized product. I'm seeing a lot of disappointment on the Apple blogs, but I think that's because unfortunately a lot of this stuff leaked so when it came to the keynote nothing really was new.

Anyway I wish I was due for an upgrade because I'd snap one of these up in a heartbeat!

 

No - you are almost certainly in the majority - same as with previous iPhone releases. Don't be confused by the spectacularly miserable trollfest that this thread became as soon as the article was posted.

post #238 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

 

My one is the i9250

 

So which one have you got?

 

The i515 released in November, 10 months ago or the LTE, which was released in April, 5 months ago.

 

So how did you get yours a year ago?

 

Do you work for Google or something?

 

You have got it all wrong. The third version of the Galaxy Nexus, the one made for Sprint, was released in April. The LTE Galaxy Nexus was released in early December, 10 moths ago.

post #239 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryn View Post

 

If you look at the LTE specs you will see that the AT&T phone will not work on international LTE frequencies so it doesn't matter whether it is locked or not.

 

The verizon phone can be unlocked by Verizon for international use.  That phone also covers the current international LTE frequencies so you will be able to get LTE in the UK as well if the local carriers there support it.

Hmmmmm.....that does change things.
That now means the AT&T phone is not a world phone, as advertised, Apple is not making one phone for all networks, as originally reported, and it may be to my advantage to move to verizon......however I will admit most of my time is spent in the US,A, and there in lies the rub......

I have been with AT&T since the iphone 3G (came back to them for the iPhone after dumping cingular to go to T-Mobile.....never again. Only Sprint has worse coverage) and will admit it is tempting to try another network......I can actually transfer my number over now......dammit. I thought I was all decided......

I need to figure out the coverage for Verizon in rural areas I may visit, such as Buckingham, VA......

post #240 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Other than the fact that we knew nothing at all before the keynote, yes, we knew everything before the keynote.

 

If you want to really argue semantics and say it was all rumors that wound up being almost 100% accurate, then I suppose we knew nothing.  But since almost everything we knew (or at least every rumor I actually believed) wound up being true, it sure appears like knowledge in hindsight.
 
And by the way, the coverage I followed kept making mention of how unprecedented it was because usually there is some sort of surprise.  So I am not the only one with that opinion.  There is a story here because I think it encourages the ho-hum reaction you are seeing from some in the press and others, which by the way, Tallest, I think is unfair.

Edited by rednival - 9/12/12 at 2:17pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple unveils redesigned iPhone 5 with 4-inch display, 4G LTE