or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple unveils redesigned iPhone 5 with 4-inch display, 4G LTE
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple unveils redesigned iPhone 5 with 4-inch display, 4G LTE - Page 9

post #321 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post


As usual there are rumors that tell us all we need to know about Apple's plans!
The major one now is that the current iPad will get the treatment the iPad2 got, with a 32 nm shrink of the A5x SoC. if that occurs, and Apple leaves the battery alone, which would be the simplest thing to do, then we will see drastically longer battery life.
But some thought is that Apple will slash the battery somewhat, thin the case, make it lighter, and give that instead.
There is even the thought that the IZGO display is finally ready, which would allow a less bright, less expensive, and less power guzzling backlight.
But these are just rumors, of course.
As for the next iPad, I do think that we'll see the A6x. Same CPU, newer more powerful GPU from the new Imagination 6000 family, I think it is, and a higher clock.
If the new display doesn't turn up on the present model, and I don't think it will, as that would practically make it a new iPad, and leave less for the next model, then it WILL show up in the new one, assuming that Sharp, and others get it right, finally.
Maybe 2GB RAM? We're seeing that on a couple new Android models. They do need a lot more memory than iOS, because of the multitasking model they use.

Only improvements iPad really needs as far as hardware, is thinner, lighter, more efficient. I don't think the Tablet market has the same crazy demands as the smartphone market.

post #322 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Only improvements iPad really needs as far as hardware, is thinner, lighter, more efficient. I don't think the Tablet market has the same crazy demands as the smartphone market.

If anything, it's worse. I use a 3D modeling app. I would like more power for that. Same thing for video editing and photo editing. This is for serious work. Phone camera video is HD these days, so even this can use more horsepower.

Games! You can never have enough cpu or gpu for games, especially with the retina display.

Not a direct hardware upgrade, but WHERE ARE THE API's FOR WIRELESS CONTROLLERS?

Ok, I got that out of my system!

You know, if Apple did that, then consoles would just shrivel up and die. Already, the new iPad has better graphics than any of the current game consoles, though the current CPU constrains it. Next year, that won't be a problem, and the next iPad will actually be more powerful than the 360 and PS3.
post #323 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 
Any other example?

I never stated those examples satisfied all criteria
post #324 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post


If anything, it's worse. I use a 3D modeling app. I would like more power for that. Same thing for video editing and photo editing. This is for serious work. Phone camera video is HD these days, so even this can use more horsepower.
Games! You can never have enough cpu or gpu for games, especially with the retina display.
Not a direct hardware upgrade, but WHERE ARE THE API's FOR WIRELESS CONTROLLERS?
Ok, I got that out of my system!
You know, if Apple did that, then consoles would just shrivel up and die. Already, the new iPad has better graphics than any of the current game consoles, though the current CPU constrains it. Next year, that won't be a problem, and the next iPad will actually be more powerful than the 360 and PS3.

Most people just read and surf the web on iPad. Or use it for some productive work when they don't want to lug around a laptop.

 

Yes more power would be good for games, and an HD camera would be a nice progression, but I think most people just want something lighter.

 

If they can shave a considerable amount of weight off the iPad while making it more powerful and efficient they'll have a winner

post #325 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Only improvements iPad really needs as far as hardware, is thinner, lighter, more efficient. I don't think the Tablet market has the same crazy demands as the smartphone market.

If anything, it's worse. I use a 3D modeling app. I would like more power for that. Same thing for video editing and photo editing. This is for serious work. Phone camera video is HD these days, so even this can use more horsepower.

Games! You can never have enough cpu or gpu for games, especially with the retina display.

Not a direct hardware upgrade, but WHERE ARE THE API's FOR WIRELESS CONTROLLERS?

Ok, I got that out of my system!

You know, if Apple did that, then consoles would just shrivel up and die. Already, the new iPad has better graphics than any of the current game consoles, though the current CPU constrains it. Next year, that won't be a problem, and the next iPad will actually be more powerful than the 360 and PS3.

 

What 3S app -- Blender?

 

I think we are about 2 years away (CPU/GPU/RAM/SSD) from being able to run FCP X on an iPad -- though I believe FCP X was designed for touch.

 

Lotsa' missing APIs.

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #326 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

No. Some of the newest phones are a bit faster, but not by a huge amount. The one thing that kept the 4S in the race was the GPU, which even now, is much better than the ones on competing platforms. With Apple's OpenCL (submitted to, and accepted by the standards group on such things, and available in many places now) leveraging that really powerful GPU, the 4S has remained near the top of the charts of speed in most every area.
If this SoC is as powerful as Apple was saying, the 5 should be a fair amount faster. But I would love to know what the GPU is.
Yeah, I realize that. I was responding to to the challenge of what the iPhone 5 has that Androids do not have, and according to Apple the new iPhone is about twice as fast as its predecessor. I can't see why people are instantly overlooking this this fact and are not impressed by the new standard Apple has provided in the new iPhone. You know if it was only a 20 % or 30% increase in performance I could understand their disappointment with the iPhone 5. But 100%, what are these people smoking?

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply
post #327 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 
The Galaxy S II released in February last year was the GSM model ...

Yes, I stand corrected. An LTE-enabled smartphone with dual-band WiFi was release to market more than ten (10) months before the iPhone 5.
post #328 of 384

I plan to buy an iPhone 5 as soon as it becomes aailable. I will also ask AT&T to unlock my old iPhone so I can use it in Central America on a local sim. I don't relish the idea of carrying two phones but I need both a stateside number and a local number when traveling abroad. In the past I have just used a feature phone for the local sim.


Edited by mstone - 9/12/12 at 9:24pm

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #329 of 384

Been a iPhone user ever since the 3G version, had the 3GS, 4 and still have the 4S. Was looking forward to making the jump to the 5 but thats not going to happen anytime soon. I love everything about the new phone except its screen size. Longer screen doesn't do it for me. These days with the amount of things we can do on a smartphone and the time spent on it, a wider and larger screen makes sense and easier on the eyes. Still an Apple fan though and still think they design and build the best consumer tech on this planet. Nobody else connects hardware and software like Apple does. I am going to make the jump to the Galaxy Note 2 when its available, not sure how long it will last though... 

post #330 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhende7 View Post

Wow. You have no idea what your talking about. The main camera has been improved for better low-light photography while becoming thinner. 

 

The camera improvements remain to be seen. The way I read it is that they've "improved" the noise reduction. I downloaded the sample photos from Apple's site, and even these photos taken during bright lighting conditions show signs of noise reduction. Don't get me wrong - I'd be perfectly happy having the iP4S/5 as a P&S replacement, I'm just saying not to expect big improvements without a significant sensor change.

 

Along the same lines, some folks are complaining about the camera resolution (8MP) staying the same - I'm actually relieved that they didn't touch this. Short of doing something along the lines of what Nokia did with their PureView, there's really no point in having more MP in a phone given the current technology.

post #331 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm probably in the minority but I love the new iPhone design. Looks very classy, very well built. And IMO looks 1000% better than the leaks that came out. The leaks obviously didn't have the fit and finish of the finalized product. I'm seeing a lot of disappointment on the Apple blogs, but I think that's because unfortunately a lot of this stuff leaked so when it came to the keynote nothing really was new.
Anyway I wish I was due for an upgrade because I'd snap one of these up in a heartbeat!

 

I agree that it looks really nice. I'm actually having trouble deciding between the white and black versions - the white with the aluminum back looks stunning, while the black looks very "masculine". I think white has the edge for me, but I would need to see them both in person. One "solution" would be to get one of each - for the wife and myself. I see what you did there Apple!

post #332 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

3. Same price as the unlocked 16GB 4S from its launch until today.

 

Apple's online store is showing $549 as the price of the unlocked 4S 16GB:

 

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone/iphone4s

 

Has the price already been reduced? I thought the unlocked price was originally higher than this?

post #333 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

Where's the wow factor?

 

This is pretty tired. Everything Apple's "incorporating" has been in an Android device for almost a year now, in some cases longer.

 

You can't really improve upon a phones capabilities after that many updates to the os. Thinner bigger and faster is the wow factor they went upon. and it plays console quality games. With iOS 7 well see some updates to the capabilities and maybe an iPhone that comes in colors.

post #334 of 384

all they did is getting in a new row, so you have one row more to fill with apps. *kaching*

 

hm, the *kaching* isnt't too loud though^^. apple's earnings in Q4 are kind of low...


Edited by applephil - 10/31/12 at 2:46am
post #335 of 384
Questions...

1. Display tech of i5 screen? They said the new iTouch is IPS, but said nothing about the phone, while hinting it had better (color saturation comment, etc).

2. What happened to the AirPlay Direct announcement?

3. What are the specs of the A6? I know, I read the article published here that was filled with guesses and speculation with nothing official from Apple, but the article source claiming to know the model CPU cored sounds like it's probably reliable. We still don't know if this has two or four cores, though the article has us guessing at two. We don't know which GPU it has and its core number. Clock? On-chip RAM, cache RAM, and internal RAM. We can guess that it iuses Samsung's 32nm process.

4. This isn't a question. Kind of disappointed that no new sensory technology has been included. Heck, Samsung added a barometer and an RGB sensor (of which the latter, I have no idea of what it does). Apple has been pretty good at adding a new sensor technology in each iPhone generation.

Overall, I'm impressed with everything they showed. The new iPods were a complete surprise as for how much TLC they got in this latest generation overhaul. The i5 was almost as I had predicted. Dual band Wi-Fi N was a surprise, as was its lighter weight, third microphone, etc. Remeber when the 4S was announced? Additional features were found or announced for several weeks after the event (such as GLOSNOS). So, it's possible we haven't yet heard it all...
post #336 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosina View Post

Been a iPhone user ever since the 3G version, had the 3GS, 4 and still have the 4S. Was looking forward to making the jump to the 5 but thats not going to happen anytime soon. I love everything about the new phone except its screen size. Longer screen doesn't do it for me. These days with the amount of things we can do on a smartphone and the time spent on it, a wider and larger screen makes sense and easier on the eyes. Still an Apple fan though and still think they design and build the best consumer tech on this planet. Nobody else connects hardware and software like Apple does. I am going to make the jump to the Galaxy Note 2 when its available, not sure how long it will last though... 

Twice as fast as a 4S and as sexy as hell, does it for me.

Two years of an iPhone 4 and before that two years of a 3G and all that time having to put up with whiners telling me what they couldn't do, times haven't changed much.

Two year contract, two year upgrade cycle works out well.

I wonder if my Galaxy Nexus will last as long?

A couple of the updates messed it up but a couple more fixed it again.

It's a pretty boring phone, blandness unless you are a tinkerer, which I gave up on years ago.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #337 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Apple knows they shouldn't mess too much with a good thing. 

 

All it needs are improvements here and there. That's what the iPhone 5 brings. Improvements in all the right places. iOS is already as refined as any mobile OS could get. Nothing comes close to it in terms of User Experience. 

 

...

 

ScreenShot2012-05-28at75101PM.jpg

 

...

 

Thanks for this post. It made wading through the troll comments so worthwhile.

 

It doesn't matter how many megapixels the competition can capture or that they've had NFC years before anyone will ever be able to use it reliably. The iPhone represents a nexus of content and simplicity that Android never took a stand for. When everyone else was kowtowing to Adobe and the unwanted intrusion of flash on the internet, Steve Jobs said "no more" and won in the mobile space. Apple fans aren't always "sheeple". Sometimes they just expect a different standard.

post #338 of 384
Think ill stick with my Samsung Galaxy S3......
post #339 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

 

Thanks for this post. It made wading through the troll comments so worthwhile.

 

Sure, no worries.  :)

 

It isn't about specs. It's all about User Experience. Put your time and energy into *this* above all else, and you'll win every time. And a superior User Experience begins with saying NO to universally-licensing your OS. 

post #340 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by diplication View Post


Yeah, I realize that. I was responding to to the challenge of what the iPhone 5 has that Androids do not have, and according to Apple the new iPhone is about twice as fast as its predecessor. I can't see why people are instantly overlooking this this fact and are not impressed by the new standard Apple has provided in the new iPhone. You know if it was only a 20 % or 30% increase in performance I could understand their disappointment with the iPhone 5. But 100%, what are these people smoking?

 

Just to put this in some perspective, imagine if Apple released a new Retina MacBook Pro, in a refined form factor, say as a 15" MBA, with double the CPU and GPU performance, lighter weight, and increased battery life. Heads would explode over the perceived improvement. (Even the troll army wouldn't know what to say.) But, when they do the same thing with a phone, it's "underwhelming".

 

The only hardware "omission" anyone can really point to is (the utterly useless today) NFC. This (useless) memory card trope started above is just more nonsense. The fact that the screen is still usable with one hand and that the phone didn't become a phablet is a major plus, both from an ergonomic perspective and for portability.

 

Once again, just as was the case with the 4S, it's an entirely new and vastly improved phone internally. Externally, it got something of a face lift and an increase in screen real estate. Internally and externally, the materials and build quality are leagues beyond any other phone. And, iOS 6, which unlike Android releases, isn't tied to the new hardware (ignoring the fact that many new Android phones are still stuck on 2.3) is a very big step forward.

 

The iPhone 5, like it's predecessors, is the industry benchmark, and remains way ahead of the competition in hardware quality and user experience. No other phone is even close to matching it.

post #341 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterAlt View Post

4. This isn't a question. Kind of disappointed that no new sensory technology has been included. Heck, Samsung added a barometer and an RGB sensor (of which the latter, I have no idea of what it does). Apple has been pretty good at adding a new sensor technology in each iPhone generation.
OK you don't know what an RGB sensor does (neither do I btw) but wonder why it's not in the new iPhone? This is why I'm glad Apple doesn't play the stupid spec game. Other manufactures just throw everything and anything into their products because they're designing for the tech press and geeks. Apple is designing for everyone else.
post #342 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by applephil View Post

all they did is getting in a new row, so you have one row more to fill with apps. *kaching*
And If they made it wider you'd be able to fit 5 apps across instead of 4. Whoope!
post #343 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That's hardly a good reason. If you're looking at that one thing, then you aren't being serious about the phone.
Besides, even Google has stated that the removable memory card isn't used by most people. It causes a lot of problems that Google is just now coming to grips with. There has been a big problem the way data and apps are handled that only now is being partly resolved. ICS doesn't fix the problem.
The problem, quickly stated is that because it puts data and apps seperately on the card and internal memory, if you don't have the card, apps may not work. There could be problems with parts of the OS as well. Now, they're working on making this work properly. But it's not there yet.
I'm not exactly accurate in this, because I'm stating it from my own internal memory.1wink.gif.
But this is one reason Apple, and some other companies haven't adopted this method.

While that's mostly true one can easily put all their media on the SD card leaving the internal memory solely for apps and their data. And frankly speaking the only apps that have a hard time accessing the external memory are the ones that have a active widget.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #344 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Most people just read and surf the web on iPad. Or use it for some productive work when they don't want to lug around a laptop.

Yes more power would be good for games, and an HD camera would be a nice progression, but I think most people just want something lighter.

If they can shave a considerable amount of weight off the iPad while making it more powerful and efficient they'll have a winner

More people use these things for serious work that you're led to believe. Besides, it would be stupid of Apple to ignore millions of people just to shave off a few ounces. If you want a lightweight tablet for simple uses, then buy a Kindle Fire HD. That's perfectly suited to your usage model. Cheaper too!
post #345 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

What 3S app -- Blender?

I think we are about 2 years away (CPU/GPU/RAM/SSD) from being able to run FCP X on an iPad -- though I believe FCP X was designed for touch.

Lotsa' missing APIs.

Verto Studio. I have viewers for just about every major 3D platform as well. The screen would be too small for all those menus, even though the resolution is higher than any normal present monitor.
post #346 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by diplication View Post

Yeah, I realize that. I was responding to to the challenge of what the iPhone 5 has that Androids do not have, and according to Apple the new iPhone is about twice as fast as its predecessor. I can't see why people are instantly overlooking this this fact and are not impressed by the new standard Apple has provided in the new iPhone. You know if it was only a 20 % or 30% increase in performance I could understand their disappointment with the iPhone 5. But 100%, what are these people smoking?

I think this disappointment is a manufactured one. If we look at everything that been done in this model, overall, it's a major improvement. Some here said that the panoramic feature wasn't a big deal, and it's been done before. But that shows a deliberate lack of understanding of that feature. No other phone does what that does. Other phones require that you take each picture, and align them carefully, making about a 20% overlap between them. It's a bit of work to get it right.

But with this, all you do is choose panoramic, and pan the phone. The panoramic is done in realtime, as you pan. Anand thinks it isn't snapping individual pictures, but updating the image as it moves around. If that's true, it would be a major advance over how it's being done now. Even if not, it's so much easier and better that it's a major feature, as a lot of people take panarama's where they come out badly, and never bother again.

That's partly a feature of iOS 6, but iOS 6 is a major part of the upgrade! People are also saying; ugh, the camera is the same. But it's not. It's got the same Rez, but better low light ability, and lower noise, with higher dynamic range, along with a new lens.

There have been many upgrades that aren't as obvious as the larger screen, and the aluminum case. They are all important and add up.

Then we have the 8 hour LTE time. What other phone has 8 hours of LTE? One Motorola phone boasts 20 hours of talk time, but under what conditions? Not LTE! And it's a much heavier phone, with a really big battery.
post #347 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIA View Post

The camera improvements remain to be seen. The way I read it is that they've "improved" the noise reduction. I downloaded the sample photos from Apple's site, and even these photos taken during bright lighting conditions show signs of noise reduction. Don't get me wrong - I'd be perfectly happy having the iP4S/5 as a P&S replacement, I'm just saying not to expect big improvements without a significant sensor change.

Along the same lines, some folks are complaining about the camera resolution (8MP) staying the same - I'm actually relieved that they didn't touch this. Short of doing something along the lines of what Nokia did with their PureView, there's really no point in having more MP in a phone given the current technology.

My iPhone 4S takes very sharp pictures. Noise reduction isn't an issue, as every review of the phone will tell you, until you get down to very low light levels. And then I use HDR, which works remarkedly well. With the new phone talki g pictures 40% faster, and the demo of that was pretty good, it will make those HDR's much better. And no, they aren't garish, at least on the 4S (haven't seen them yet on the 5).

Every ti e Apple has said the camera was better, it was. I see no reason to disbelieve them now. And, by the way, it's thought that Apple switched sensor manufacturers back, if so, it is a different sensor, and likely a newer design.
post #348 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterAlt View Post

Questions...
1. Display tech of i5 screen? They said the new iTouch is IPS, but said nothing about the phone, while hinting it had better (color saturation comment, etc).
2. What happened to the AirPlay Direct announcement?
3. What are the specs of the A6? I know, I read the article published here that was filled with guesses and speculation with nothing official from Apple, but the article source claiming to know the model CPU cored sounds like it's probably reliable. We still don't know if this has two or four cores, though the article has us guessing at two. We don't know which GPU it has and its core number. Clock? On-chip RAM, cache RAM, and internal RAM. We can guess that it iuses Samsung's 32nm process.
4. This isn't a question. Kind of disappointed that no new sensory technology has been included. Heck, Samsung added a barometer and an RGB sensor (of which the latter, I have no idea of what it does). Apple has been pretty good at adding a new sensor technology in each iPhone generation.
Overall, I'm impressed with everything they showed. The new iPods were a complete surprise as for how much TLC they got in this latest generation overhaul. The i5 was almost as I had predicted. Dual band Wi-Fi N was a surprise, as was its lighter weight, third microphone, etc. Remeber when the 4S was announced? Additional features were found or announced for several weeks after the event (such as GLOSNOS). So, it's possible we haven't yet heard it all...

The screen will again be a form of IPS. It's been upgraded, as has the one in the Touch, to match the new iPad's full sRGB color gamute, which is much better than on any other phone (or tablet). It also has in screen touch technology with gives better contrast, less reflections, and better color saturation.

Ask Apple about lacking announcements as none of would know.

Wait a week or so for the phones to come out, and then the tech sites will tear into them with tests. Apple isn't interested in too much technobabble. All most people want to know is how much faster it is from the one they have now.

As I mentioned in my last post, it's thought that Apple has moved back to its previous sensor manufacturer. If so, it could be for a more advanced sensor than what Sony has to offer now.Cut the camera also offers better stabilization in addition to other advances.
post #349 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubs45 View Post

Think ill stick with my Samsung Galaxy S3......

Good for you.
post #350 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

OK you don't know what an RGB sensor does (neither do I btw) but wonder why it's not in the new iPhone? This is why I'm glad Apple doesn't play the stupid spec game. Other manufactures just throw everything and anything into their products because they're designing for the tech press and geeks. Apple is designing for everyone else.

I didn't respond to that, because I don't know what he means. All camera sensors are "RGB". All Bayer sensors are actually RGGB. Two green sensing sites for every one red and blue.
post #351 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

While that's mostly true one can easily put all their media on the SD card leaving the internal memory solely for apps and their data. And frankly speaking the only apps that have a hard time accessing the external memory are the ones that have a active widget.

The problem here is that most Android users aren't very knowledgable about their phones. The techie people who are don't have as much of a problem. But the rest are going to have problems with this, because they have no control as to how the OS handles the internal memory and the card. I can see them filling up a card with songs, so they think, removing it for another empty one, and crashing apps, and possibly the phone itself, and not understanding why.

That's a defect, not a feature, and it's only now that it's been mostly addressed. But as we see with Android, it will take over a year before half, if that many, new Android users are able to use that new OS. Most of the current ones will be out of luck.
post #352 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post


I didn't respond to that, because I don't know what he means. All camera sensors are "RGB". All Bayer sensors are actually RGGB. Two green sensing sites for every one red and blue.

 

He's referring to a sensor that detects ambient light levels for the purpose of adjusting screen brightness. Typically, these detect a single color, G, which can cause problems under fluorescent lighting. Once again, though, this is a feature that, while it may look good on a checklist, doesn't mean much if you aren't having problems adjusting screen brightness to begin with. I have no idea what sort of sensor Apple uses for this, and I doubt the OP does either.

 

But, this sort of thing does show the ridiculous lengths some will go to to find something to criticize.

post #353 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

He's referring to a sensor that detects ambient light levels for the purpose of adjusting screen brightness. Typically, these detect a single color, G, which can cause problems under fluorescent lighting. Once again, though, this is a feature that, while it may look good on a checklist, doesn't mean much if you aren't having problems adjusting screen brightness to begin with. I have no idea what sort of sensor Apple uses for this, and I doubt the OP does either.

But, this sort of thing does show the ridiculous lengths some will go to to find something to criticize.

Ah, I didn't get that. Thanks.
post #354 of 384
But, as we've been talking about camera sensors, and a couple of people here have asserted, because the camera still is 8 MP, that the same sensor is being used, I referred to the thinking that Apple is no longer using Sony for the sensor, and has gone back to their previous supplier (who recently made a statement that their sales are way up again), and so would be using a different, improved version.

To bolster this new sensor thinking, here's some evidence:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/09/12/Apple-iPhone-5-vs-iPhone-4S-image-comparison
post #355 of 384

Can't wait for the 5s one!

"I invented the rectangle"  - Steve Jobs

"We Bomb you" - USA

Reply

"I invented the rectangle"  - Steve Jobs

"We Bomb you" - USA

Reply
post #356 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted sender by mocseg View Post

Can't wait for the 5s one!

Nonsense, we all know the 5s will be the sam design only better, thats the iPhone 10

post #357 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I didn't respond to that, because I don't know what he means. All camera sensors are "RGB". All Bayer sensors are actually RGGB. Two green sensing sites for every one red and blue.
Well my point still stands that Applr doesn't design for tech press and tech geeks. Outside of NFC I don't know what great technology Apple left out of the phone. Bigger screen, widgets those seem to me to be personal preferences vs innovation. If making a screen taller isn't innovation how is any different making it wider? What exactly was innovative about being guinea pigs for AT&T and Verizon LTE which requires a larger battery and thus larger phone? Android phones are slaves to the carriers (at least in the US). I'll take Apple over that any day.
post #358 of 384

There's a good chance I'll be getting an iPhone 5, and I will recognise the difference between the 4S and 5, unlike some people http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdIWKytq_q4

post #359 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I think this disappointment is a manufactured one. If we look at everything that been done in this model, overall, it's a major improvement. Some here said that the panoramic feature wasn't a big deal, and it's been done before. But that shows a deliberate lack of understanding of that feature. No other phone does what that does. Other phones require that you take each picture, and align them carefully, making about a 20% overlap between them. It's a bit of work to get it right.
But with this, all you do is choose panoramic, and pan the phone. The panoramic is done in realtime, as you pan. Anand thinks it isn't snapping individual pictures, but updating the image as it moves around. If that's true, it would be a major advance over how it's being done now. Even if not, it's so much easier and better that it's a major feature, as a lot of people take panarama's where they come out badly, and never bother again.
That's partly a feature of iOS 6, but iOS 6 is a major part of the upgrade! People are also saying; ugh, the camera is the same. But it's not. It's got the same Rez, but better low light ability, and lower noise, with higher dynamic range, along with a new lens.
There have been many upgrades that aren't as obvious as the larger screen, and the aluminum case. They are all important and add up.
Then we have the 8 hour LTE time. What other phone has 8 hours of LTE? One Motorola phone boasts 20 hours of talk time, but under what conditions? Not LTE! And it's a much heavier phone, with a really big battery.

What are you talking about? The Gnex does real time panoramic images and not by shooting multiple pics and since when? Last December
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #360 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross 
Already, the new iPad has better graphics than any of the current game consoles, though the current CPU constrains it. Next year, that won't be a problem, and the next iPad will actually be more powerful than the 360 and PS3.

Considering that design of the PS3 started in 2001 with hardware finalised in 2005, it's not much of an revelation that something released next year would supercede seven (7) year-old technology.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple unveils redesigned iPhone 5 with 4-inch display, 4G LTE