or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's new Lightning connector is 80% smaller, orientation independent

Apple's new Lightning connector is 80% smaller, orientation independent - Page 2

post #41 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGJ View Post

So...we've had Thunderbolt.
And now we've got Lightning.
This is all very, very frightening.
(I couldn't resist...)
I was knocking on wood that nobody was going to go there.

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

post #42 of 45

Only USB2... what a wasted opportunity.

Wonder if i can drag out my 4S long enough for the iphone 5S - S for fast cable....

Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
post #43 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatt View Post

Well, PhilBoogie was the one challenging the 'orientation independent' bit (and I agree).  I was just trying to explain it for him.  1smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatt View Post

The new connector has two possible orientations…  North facing and South facing, if you will.  A headphone jack is round, so it can face any direction on the compass.  It would be better to refer to the new dock connector as reversible, as someone else suggested earlier in the thread.
Ok, couldn't get what you meant.

Sorry for the brevity, yes HazMatt, that is indeed what I meant. But fair enough, it does say reversible in their presentation.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #44 of 45
So how does this port differ to USB, Firewire and Thunderbolt. What's the speeds and feeds.

I know the audio industry is filled with a TON of DAC solutions that typically use USB and run it through a high end DAC to a higher end audio system for the audiophiles out there. I wonder what the advantages are, if any, with this port vs USB, etc.
post #45 of 45
Originally Posted by drblank View Post
So how does this port differ to USB, Firewire and Thunderbolt. What's the speeds and feeds.

Cannot possibly know. Only USB 2 compatibility is afforded right now.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's new Lightning connector is 80% smaller, orientation independent