or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple reinvents the iPod nano: 2.5" screen, home button, built-in Bluetooth

Apple reinvents the iPod nano: 2.5" screen, home button, built-in Bluetooth

post #1 of 60
The redesigned iPod nano has a 2.5-inch multi-touch display and features a tiny home button, just like on larger iOS devices, with integrated Bluetooth and the new smaller Lightning connector.

The new iPod nano is 5.4-millimeters thin, which is 38 percent thinner than its predecessor. It will be available in seven colors: aluminum, black, purple, green, blue, yellow and Product(red).

iPod Nano Colors
iPod Nano color swatch. | Source: Apple

iPod nano launches in October. It will cost $149 for a 16-gigabyte model. The iPod shuffle will also remain available for $49 in a 2-gigabyte model.

The iPod nano still features an FM tuner with DVR-like functionality for pausing and rewinding. It also has a built-in pedometer with support for Nike+ integration.

Nano Video
2.5" widescreen multitouch iPod nano display
Source: Apple

Bluetooth is also built in to the device, which means audio can be streamed wirelessly from the iPod nano without any accessories.

Bluetooth
The iPod nano's Radio window located at bottom of device.

It also features Apple's new Lightning connector for iOS devices, which is also found on the iPhone 5.

Nano Lightning
The iPod nano will use Apple's new Lightning connector.

Apple promises 30 hours of music playback with the new iPod nano, which is the longest battery life of any nano to date.
post #2 of 60

How long before the "Apple stole the design from Nokia" comments?

I don't like the white screen frame. Seems backward from all their other products.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #3 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don't like the white screen frame. Seems backward from all their other products.

Love the white frame! Makes it looks different, fresh, and uniquely Apple.

By the way I think this would have been a perfect iPhone Nano. Beautiful functional design.

post #4 of 60

Mac Rumors has a picture of this device their web site.

An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #5 of 60
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post
By the way I think this would have been a perfect iPhone Nano. Beautiful functional design.

Well, it's the 2.5" screen people were yelling about back then. Now they get to see exactly how it works in a device proper.

Doesn't white screw with color perception on the screen?

post #6 of 60

My favorite announcment of the show(unfortunately almost everything had already been leaked about the iPhone 5).  Wasn't expecting this, and it seems like an absolutely perfect workout tool.  My only wishlist for the next upgrade would be to squeeze in a gps if possible, but this looks great.

post #7 of 60
Quote:

Take a look at comments on Engadget.

iPad 3, Galaxy S4
iPad 3, Galaxy S4
post #8 of 60
I am VERY disappointed that they got rid of the "iWatch". Don't get me wrong, I like the new Nano's functionality. However, I would've liked to have seen the new Shuffle take the place of the former Nano with added bluetooth connectivity since they made the Nano bigger again. The only thing missing from the old Nano design was bluetooth, but instead they just axed the form factor completely.
post #9 of 60

I know I'll get slammed for this but i don't care.

Personally, There is nothing in this device that would inspire me to purchase.

Disappointed.

The design sucks, the white face-plate is godawful.  Really black is the only tolerable color.  It doesn't really even look like anything that Apple (team Ives) would have designed...like they took the previous nano...stretched it out and added a home button, which appears to have only one use.

I felt like the last few watch Nano's were a side step from the evolution of the Nano.  Much like the wide-body Gen 3.

There's still no way to quickly navigate without looking at the device (meaning no eyes-free operation), and it has far too little storage for my needs.  I was really hoping for the iPod Classic to converge with the iPod nano with this design.  The storage and eyes-free user-friendly operation of the Classic, mixed with the lightness and thinness of the nano.  This fails on many levels for my needs.  No 64gb option. No Wifi, No iTunes/iCloud sync.  No still/video camera.  Seems like a U-Turn and not a evolutionary one.

Seriously?  they put videos on a 16gb device?  That's like 8 movies and no music.  Or all my podcasts and no music.  Or 1/8 my entire music library and nothing else.

I guess i'll just have to go back out and replace my now-dead Classic with a new one before they discontinue it.

Edited by antkm1 - 9/12/12 at 12:35pm
post #10 of 60

They should make a lower storage model, add IR and sell it as a $79 Universal Remote.

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #11 of 60

This is the design that should have immediately followed after the last scroll-wheel nano (aside from the silly white face). It was obvious back then that the clip-on nano was a design mis-step. Glad they are back on track with the nano. (That said, I still think the scroll while nano was a better overall design; but if you insist on going to a touch screen, this is galaxies ahead of the previous touch screen nano.)

post #12 of 60
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post
It was obvious back then that the clip-on nano was a design mis-step. Glad they are back on track with the nano. (That said, I still think the scroll while nano was a better overall design; but if you insist on going to a touch screen, this is galaxies ahead of the previous touch screen nano.)

The misstep that people absolutely love as a watch, you mean?

post #13 of 60

it begs the question, why the hell have they done nothing to the Classic and why is it still for sale if they refuse to update it?

I am one of those (if you haven't noticed from my last post) that really want the classic mainly for it's eyes-free use with tactile control and it's massive storage.

I don't want the current one for $250 and I'd rather it have wifi/blutooth and all flash storage (64gb and up)

So my question to Apple is, why? and when?

I've already got an iPhone but want a dedicated music media player that holds my entire library.

Kind of reminds me of the situation with the Mac Pro.

Edited by antkm1 - 9/12/12 at 12:39pm
post #14 of 60
Quote:

yep, they should have taken the Nano Watch, all a few more navigation buttons, lowered the storage to 4gb and called it the new shuffle.

Then they should have combined the 5th gen Nano with the current Gen Classic and called it the new Nano, Dropped the current CLassic.  The Touch is fine, but those colors!?!?  God-Awful!!!

And that strap?  what the heck was Team Ives thinking?

post #15 of 60
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post
And that strap?  what the heck was Team Ives thinking?

Horrible, horrible idea. The fact that it's a physical mechanism alone should have raised alarm bells. Guess they uninstalled them… 

post #16 of 60

Long live the clip-on Nano! It's the perfect work-out device. Hopefully, the price of the clip-on Nano will drop when the new one's released. If so, I plan to buy a couple to use if/when my current one dies.

post #17 of 60
Quote:

Uh, you're aware of the 3rd and 4th gen Nano? You know, that everyone compared the Nokia to when it launched? Apple pretty much replaced the scroll wheel with a home button, and changed the color of the screen frame. 

post #18 of 60
Quote:

Yeah, I am not crazy about the double bezels either

post #19 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Uh, you're aware of the 3rd and 4th gen Nano? You know, that everyone compared the Nokia to when it launched? Apple pretty much replaced the scroll wheel with a home button, and changed the color of the screen frame. 

Lest we forget, the Samsung trial revealed a rendering of an iPhone prototype looking like a larger version of this nano.

post #20 of 60
Quote:

Horrible, horrible idea. The fact that it's a physical mechanism alone should have raised alarm bells. Guess they uninstalled them… 

Why is it a 'horrible, horrible' idea? Do you know how many kids own/use the touch? The strap isn't permanently attached to the device. For those that don't want it, don't use it. For those that find it useful, it's a huge benefit. Please, once in a while trying looking 2 inches past your own nose and how real, actual people in the physical worlds might use their devices before declaring things horrible and useless. Design is important, but so is function. In this case, I don't see how function compromises the design in the least. People like you expect Apple to innovate, yet whatever changes they make instantly get a negative knee jerk reaction. Unreal. 

post #21 of 60
I love the design and cant wait to buy one. I am not a designer just a shopper who loves the design. I think the addition of the battery life and how thin it is are a selling point. Although the colors seem to scream imac, i love the black and silver.
post #22 of 60
godawful, agree with all comments about the white face.. overall design seems to have gone back 5 years, the worst line-up of product I have seen released from Apple in 10 years or more
post #23 of 60
Quote:

Glad they are back on track with the nano. (That said, I still think the scroll while nano was a better overall design; but if you insist on going to a touch screen, this is galaxies ahead of the previous touch screen nano.)

I think it's better than the square but I agree about the design of the ipod before the square one. I would have expected something more like:

Possibly with colour matching home buttons. I suppose the circular icons do indicate that this device isn't capable of running normal apps but I prefer the rounded rectangles.

The only colours in the new ones I like are black, purple and silver. A good direction to go but could have been more aesthetically pleasing IMO. Still, if they improve the aesthetics, that means another model they can sell.
post #24 of 60

let's just add another gripe.

The Blutooth is nice, but in most cars (at least in my 2012 VW), you cannot use the car stereo to operate the menu functions of the iPod, only control forward, next, play/pause and volume.  No menu features.  That means people like me would have to buy the converter from 30 pin to 9 pin.  Ugh.

post #25 of 60
Uh, you're aware of the 3rd and 4th gen Nano? You know, that everyone compared the Nokia to when it launched?

Thing about trolls is that they tend to ignore the past if it doesn't fit their timeframe. 

People like you expect Apple to innovate, yet whatever changes they make instantly get a negative knee jerk reaction. Unreal. 

People like me, huh? Just what exactly is that supposed to mean? Don't bother answering. 

It's a mechanical part. Mechanical parts break easily. Mighty Mouse sphere. Dock Connector side clickies. Home Button, Sleep/Wake button (if you don't take care of your possessions). Any moving parts introduced also introduces a new point of failure. It's a bad idea for a feature that will barely be utilized. We'll hear about it breaking, the tiny minority will come onto websites, they'll whine about it (instead of just getting it fixed, as it shouldn't be breaking), and others will read that as 'the majority hates the build quality'. Seen it dozens of times.

post #26 of 60
Quote:

It was obvious back then that the clip-on nano was a design mis-step. Glad they are back on track with the nano. (That said, I still think the scroll while nano was a better overall design; but if you insist on going to a touch screen, this is galaxies ahead of the previous touch screen nano.)

Agreeing with you twice in one day.  The clip is what made it work for a lot of people.

And FWIW, I like the white face, and it's definitely not "un-Apple" -- good lord, people, all the original iPods were white!  If anything, this white face harkens back to that original era.

post #27 of 60
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
I suppose the circular icons do indicate that this device isn't capable of running normal apps but I prefer the rounded rectangles.

I think that's exactly what they're going for with that; agreed.

post #28 of 60
Quote:

I would guess not long. The first thought you get is that it looks like a lumia, but instead of 2 columns of square icons there round. And rather than the black of the screen being hard to differentiate from the black surround on a lumia, they've gone with a contrasting white.

To some extent it does look like a cheap lumia. When you actually see one though I bet it looks completely different.
post #29 of 60

The clip + the small form factor made the 6th gen Nano a winner - perfect for working out. They should have renamed the 6th gen Nano the new "shuffle", add bluetooth, and make it a tad thinner. The addition of bluetooth would keep it compatible with Nike's latest sensors.  I have no desire to run with this new larger device.

post #30 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

I would guess not long. The first thought you get is that it looks like a lumia, but instead of 2 columns of square icons there round. And rather than the black of the screen being hard to differentiate from the black surround on a lumia, they've gone with a contrasting white.
To some extent it does look like a cheap lumia. When you actually see one though I bet it looks completely different.

You are aware that the shape of the Lumia is just a copy of an earlier Apple design right?  As is the Zune which is also similar looking. 

Although I'm sure that none of that will stop endless complaints about how Apple "stole" this design. :-/

post #31 of 60
Quote:

I think it's better than the square but I agree about the design of the ipod before the square one. I would have expected something more like:

Possibly with colour matching home buttons. I suppose the circular icons do indicate that this device isn't capable of running normal apps but I prefer the rounded rectangles.
The only colours in the new ones I like are black, purple and silver. A good direction to go but could have been more aesthetically pleasing IMO. Still, if they improve the aesthetics, that means another model they can sell.

Is it a iNokia by apple?

post #32 of 60
Quote:

Two things:

1) This wouldn't be 16:9 (which of all the iPods and iPhones, this one pretty much has to be 16:9). 

2) I hated the colours and the design too until I looked into it and found out that the chief market for the nano is basically 13 year old girls. 

post #33 of 60
Wow so many knee jerk negative reactions. Until Apple releases sales data and the these same whiners will be gloating about how many iPods/iPhones Apple sold. Good grief.
post #34 of 60
Originally Posted by rajeshpr View Post
Is it a iNokia by apple?

Apple's design came first, thanks.

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Wow so many knee jerk negative reactions. Until Apple releases sales data and the these same whiners will be gloating about how many iPods/iPhones Apple sold. Good grief.

So Windows is good because of how many it sells; got it. Apple must suck because they sell so many fewer.

post #35 of 60
Quote:

Not long at all, apparently, since you were thinking it too.

And I love how they boast it's 38% thinner. Yeah, it's thinner because they removed the shirt clip. Morons.

I do like the addition of bluetooth though, but I'd rather they kept the old form factor instead of making it a Touch Mini.

post #36 of 60
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post
Not long at all, apparently, since you were thinking it too.

Uh… it's not the case. I was thinking it because to a troll, or anyone who didn't know about Apple's earlier hardware, it would appear that the iPod nano is copying the Nokia, not the other way around.

post #37 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshpr 
Is it a iNokia by apple?

Nope, iPod/iPhone by Sony:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/07/early-iphone-prototypes-drew-inspiration-from-sony-ipod-mini/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazobee 
This wouldn't be 16:9 (which of all the iPods and iPhones, this one pretty much has to be 16:9).

Yeah, it should most likely be 16:9, I copy/pasted the 3:2 screen from another mockup but I kinda like the 3:2 aspect at that size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee 
I hated the colours and the design too until I looked into it and found out that the chief market for the nano is basically 13 year old girls.

That's true and the black one looks nice enough for other people:

The iPhone home button shape makes sense now that they used a circle on this one. It's the button that takes you back to the screen with all the circles/rounded rectangles. Clever but I think most people recognise the rounded rectangle shape as the home button now so putting a circle on it wasn't necessary.
post #38 of 60
First of all ability to play movies comes back. Anybody noticed that? No previous did not play any movies... that's why kept older geneartion and did not buy into some small toy with no ability to play video.
post #39 of 60
Originally Posted by maciekskontakt View Post
…toy… 

Let's not get into that nonsense. It was far from a toy.

post #40 of 60
Does anybody else think this may be a precursor to a possible iPhone nano for prepaid/teen/child markets? With the inclusion of Siri, a compromised typing experience might not be too big a drawback..

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple reinvents the iPod nano: 2.5" screen, home button, built-in Bluetooth