or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › 6.1mm-thick 5th-gen iPod touch has Siri, 4" display, A5 CPU
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

6.1mm-thick 5th-gen iPod touch has Siri, 4" display, A5 CPU

post #1 of 76
Thread Starter 
Apple's new iPod touch features the same larger 4-inch screen as the iPhone 5, while sporting a design 6.1 millimeters thick that weighs just 88 grams. It also adds Siri support, comes in five colors, and includes a new wrist strap called the iPod touch loop.

The redesigned iPod touch has a brushed aluminum back, along with the new 9-pin Lightning connector. It also runs the A5 processor, giving it dual-core chip power.

iPod touch
iPod touch dual core CPU, dual core GPU A5 processor. | Source: Apple


The iPod touch can be purchased in five colors: raw aluminum, black, blue, yellow and red. The iPod touch loop wrist straps are also available in matching colors.

The new fifth-generation, 6.1 mm iPod touch is $299 for a 32-gigabyte model, while the high-end 64-gigabyte model is $399.

iPod touch Profile
iPod touch, 6.1mm thick with corresponding strap. | Source: Apple


The fourth-generation iPod touch will remain available for $199 for the 16-gigabyte model, while a 32-gigabyte model will be $249.

Apple said the new iPod touch has up to 7 times faster graphics than the previous iPod touch. It will also allow Siri voice control functionality.

The camera has been updated to a 5-megapixel iSight that is backside illuminated. Apple has promised the iPod touch offers up to 40 hours of music playback, or 8 hours of video, an improvement over the previous model.

The rear camera can shoot 1080p video with image stabilization, and the device supports iPhoto and iMovie for iOS. The forward-facing FaceTime camera also has 720p video functionality.

iPod touch Camera
iPod touch 5MP rear camera with LED flash
Source: Apple


Also added to the new iPod touch is panoramic photos in the camera application. That feature will also be available in the iPhone 5.

The iPod touch loop attaches to the back of the new iPod touch and allows users to secure the device with a wrist strap, with or without a cover.
post #2 of 76
Any news on iPod Classic?
post #3 of 76
Originally Posted by ImperialForces View Post
Any news on iPod Classic?

 

Hopefully discontinued. Or kept, if the touch doesn't hit 128.

 

No 128GB iPod touch, so possibly kept. We'll have to wait for the Store page to come back up to confirm.

 

That 5th gen iPod touch price bothers me.


Edited by Tallest Skil - 9/12/12 at 11:41am

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #4 of 76

Pricing announced for the new Touch. $299? Writing on the wall says "No cheap iPad Mini coming!"

post #5 of 76
Quote:
Apple said the new iPod nano has up to 7 times faster graphics than the previous iPod touch.

That's amazing, but what about the graphics in the new iPod touch? :3
Ridiculous lucky captain rabbit king, lucky captain rabbit king nuggets are for the youth!
Reply
Ridiculous lucky captain rabbit king, lucky captain rabbit king nuggets are for the youth!
Reply
post #6 of 76
Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
That's amazing, but what about the graphics in the new iPod touch? :3

 

It's an A5 chip. So those graphics.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #7 of 76

iPod classic confirmed to still be around, no updates to it.

 

My stars, are there really that many people that still buy it? More than the 17" MacBook Pro?

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #8 of 76
What? No new 7" iPad? Clearly Apple is doomed.. DOOOOOOOOOOMMMMED. Sell all your stock now hurry!
post #9 of 76

The ugliest ipod touch ever.

post #10 of 76

Still no GPS. So much for that rumor.

post #11 of 76

Indeed. hard to see where a 7"ish ipad would fit between the new touches and and the maxipad ;)

 

In a totally vein, Do the new touches now include a mic to support Siri? No mention of one...

post #12 of 76

Given the price of the new iPod Touch and the retention of the older model, I suspect not many people will buy the new model

the new iPod Touch price also kills any iPad Mini being priced at the same level as the Fire / Nexus 7

 

Personally I'd rather buy an iPhone 4s than a new  iPod Touch, it may not have the screen size but it'll be more use :-)

post #13 of 76

I think he meant to point out the error in comparing the iPod nano with the previous iPod touch in the article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

It's an A5 chip. So those graphics.

post #14 of 76

The iPod Touch seems a bit expensive compared to the other devices out there. Perhaps they're counting on Siri and the faster chip to make up for the high price. It's only a matter of time for another tablet maker to have a much higher capacity memory chip priced the same or even less. As I see it somebody must really want a pocket size device to get an iPod Touch. Already other brands of phones have similar capacities.

 

I was expecting the Touch to be cheaper. Adding Siri doesn't seem like enough to pull me away from wanting to buy a seven inch tablet. I could go for a tablet because I don't store hundreds of songs. Now there are wireless devices that can be used as backup storage devices for tablets without a lot of built in storage. This makes the benefit of the greater capacity of the Touch not as worthwhile.

 

What Apple needs to do to win over people like me is to create a new codec that captures the audio clarity of analog. Remember almost a year ago Neil Young was saying Steve was interested in such a project? Neil said that today's mp3 recordings only have five percent of the actual fidelity of an analog record. I want something that good to come out into the market. If Apple leads the way and creates that they'll double their income as everybody with iTunes mp3s will want to upgrade to the audiophile experience.

 

By the way; what's with the Apple logo with the light and dark color scheme? The slash is from the upper left to the lower right, which is called a sinister mark in heraldry. Is this Apple's covert way of announcing that the company is now flirting with the dark side of things? It looks creepy. It is a sign that the company is now schizophrenic, battling with good versus evil. There are two camps within Apple and this is the signal to the world saying all is not well.

 

Did you notice that the Apple logo behind the band was all shiny black like Darth Vaters helmet? There was a ray of light shining out of the bite mark. Maybe it symbolized Steve's spirit trying to break out of this new gloomy burgeoning Apple Evil Empire.

post #15 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Pricing announced for the new Touch. $299? Writing on the wall says "No cheap iPad Mini coming!"

Yep!

My thoughts exactly...
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
post #16 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJWilkin View Post

Given the price of the new iPod Touch and the retention of the older model, I suspect not many people will buy the new model

the new iPod Touch price also kills any iPad Mini being priced at the same level as the Fire / Nexus 7

 

Personally I'd rather buy an iPhone 4s than a new  iPod Touch, it may not have the screen size but it'll be more use :-)

A comparable iPhone 4S would cost $600-700 so that's an irrelevant comparison.

 

I too was surprised at the pricing though. The Nano is $50 too high and the Touch is $100 too high. 

post #17 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Pricing announced for the new Touch. $299? Writing on the wall says "No cheap iPad Mini coming!"

 

If there is such a thing, they could still price it at $349. However, Tim spent an awful lot of time pointing out how the iPad - in its current size - still far out sells everyone else. So they're either not really making a new iPad or they are downplaying it to throw others off. I have a feeling Apple is going to wait until after the New Year to release any new iPads as they normally do.

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #18 of 76
Originally Posted by lastmiracle View Post
I think he meant to point out the error in comparing the iPod nano with the previous iPod touch in the article.

 

Indeed. Thanks for pointing that out. Fixed!

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #19 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

 

If there is such a thing, they could still price it at $349. However, Tim spent an awful lot of time pointing out how the iPad - in its current size - still far out sells everyone else. So they're either not really making a new iPad or they are downplaying it to throw others off. I have a feeling Apple is going to wait until after the New Year to release any new iPads as they normally do.

With the iPad 2 selling for $399 I can't see anyone buying the Mini for only $50 less.

 

Only way I see a Mini fitting in is if it has 8GB of storage standard for $199 or $249 and then the next storage capacity being 16GB or 32GB for $100-$150 more.

 

But with the specs people are talking for the Mini, Apple may as well just keep the iPad 2 around another year and sell it for $299

post #20 of 76

This is a MASSIVE update for the Touch. I don't see how anyone can be dissapointed. But hey, it's Apple so many are no matter what they do. 

post #21 of 76
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post
This is a MASSIVE update for the Touch. I don't see how anyone can be dissapointed. But hey, it's Apple so many are no matter what they do. 

 

I sort of wish it was an A6 at those price points, but other than that, I've no complaints.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #22 of 76

I'm disappointed  :)    The small/watch form factor was cool and useful.   They've just gone back to the 'stick' format of 2 Nano's ago.
 

post #23 of 76
I'm really glad they went with brushed/polished metal instead of chrome and finally putting some decent cameras on the iPod Touch. Don't like the $100 price hike that came with it though.
post #24 of 76
What a ripoff. A gimped cpu compared to the new iphone. Touch keeps falling behind and now the cpu is being hit. This device is supposed to be the gaming device and the price is outragious. Why not just get the iphone instead? Much better hardware. They might as well just discontinue the ipod touch. My 4th gen is laggy as hell on ios5. Ill be glad to sell it next week.
post #25 of 76
I can not believe how FUGLY these are!!! EEEWWWWWWW!!!!!!
post #26 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanjupiter View Post

What a ripoff. A gimped cpu compared to the new iphone. Touch keeps falling behind and now the cpu is being hit. This device is supposed to be the gaming device and the price is outragious. Why not just get the iphone instead? Much better hardware. They might as well just discontinue the ipod touch. My 4th gen is laggy as hell on ios5. Ill be glad to sell it next week.

Its $350 less than an iPhone ($450 for the 32gb)... so if you don't have or can't afford an iPhone- get this.  It goes without saying that if you have an iPhone you likely wouldn't need this.

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #27 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Pricing announced for the new Touch. $299? Writing on the wall says "No cheap iPad Mini coming!"

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

 

If there is such a thing, they could still price it at $349. However, Tim spent an awful lot of time pointing out how the iPad - in its current size - still far out sells everyone else. So they're either not really making a new iPad or they are downplaying it to throw others off. I have a feeling Apple is going to wait until after the New Year to release any new iPads as they normally do.

 

I agree with blackbook. The only way I could see a mini would be at the iPad event- they drop the touch prices to $199/$299, and roll out the mini at $299/$399 with the iPad $499.

 

Not saying it will happen, but that's the likeliest of scenarios.

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #28 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Pricing announced for the new Touch. $299? Writing on the wall says "No cheap iPad Mini coming!"

 

It's difficult to see where an iPad mini could be priced. $349? $399 and it replaces the iPad 2?

 

Maybe there's no iPad mini at all?

post #29 of 76
Originally Posted by poke View Post
Maybe there's no iPad mini at all?

 

Don't take my side. People gang up on you when you're on my side. lol.gif

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #30 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Don't take my side. People gang up on you when you're on my side. lol.gif

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #31 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by poke View Post

 

It's difficult to see where an iPad mini could be priced. $349? $399 and it replaces the iPad 2?

 

Maybe there's no iPad mini at all?

 

The iPad 2 is a placeholder for the iPad mini.  My guess is that it gets replaced with the iPad mini - 8GB at $299 and 16GB at $349 or $399.  Same price points as the new iPod touch, but one-fourth the flash memory.  Probably will be introduced at a small event on Apple's campus (long with the 13" Macbook Retina and new iMac).

post #32 of 76
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post
post

 

Oh, so YOU'RE on my side now, then? Or was that a statement on the ludicrousness of assuming there will be a product unlike that which has ever been produced before?

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #33 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Still no GPS. So much for that rumor.

Why would you want gps on an iPod touch? You have to be connected to wifi, and that's hard to do in a moving vehicle.
post #34 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbit View Post


Why would you want gps on an iPod touch? You have to be connected to wifi, and that's hard to do in a moving vehicle.

No you don't...

 

There are Nav Apps available that download the database with the app ... to then be used when no data connection is available.

 

GPS itself doesn't need a data connection.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
post #35 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

What Apple needs to do to win over people like me is to create a new codec that captures the audio clarity of analog. Remember almost a year ago Neil Young was saying Steve was interested in such a project? Neil said that today's mp3 recordings only have five percent of the actual fidelity of an analog record. I want something that good to come out into the market. If Apple leads the way and creates that they'll double their income as everybody with iTunes mp3s will want to upgrade to the audiophile experience.

 

No, it doesn't need to do that. Neil Young is not an audio scientist. Most people wouldn't care. The human ear can only hear so much.

 

These has been rehashed a million times.

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

By the way; what's with the Apple logo with the light and dark color scheme? The slash is from the upper left to the lower right, which is called a sinister mark in heraldry. Is this Apple's covert way of announcing that the company is now flirting with the dark side of things? It looks creepy. It is a sign that the company is now schizophrenic, battling with good versus evil. There are two camps within Apple and this is the signal to the world saying all is not well.

 

Did you notice that the Apple logo behind the band was all shiny black like Darth Vaters helmet? There was a ray of light shining out of the bite mark. Maybe it symbolized Steve's spirit trying to break out of this new gloomy burgeoning Apple Evil Empire.

 

How much tinfoil was used in the construction of your hat?

post #36 of 76
Quote:
tallest skil 2012/09/12 02:49pm
iPod classic confirmed to still be around, no updates to it.

My stars, are there really that many people that still buy it? More than the 17" MacBook Pro?

The classic is popular with pros and and audio professionals. It is rather sad actually that the Touch didn't get a size update to flash memory, 64 GB is hardly enough. As to the 17" MBP yeah I would have to say Classic most likely out sells that model by a large margin.
post #37 of 76

It isn't expensive if you look at the cost of owning any cell phone with similar capabilities    In fact it is rather foolish to compare a Touch to a cell phone as it was specifically designed not to be a cell phone.    Starting off with such a comparison throws the rest of your posting into hot water.

 

As to cheaper, I was in a way expecting that also.   Actually I was expecting more flash at each price point.   Again though you wander off into non sensical comparison, the Touch isn't a tablet in the sense of a 7" device.    It is a different market altogether.

 

As to Apple winning over people like you, you are woefully misinformed so I'm not sure that there is anything more Apple can do.    In each case above you try to turn the Touch into something it isn't, the Touch does fine for what it is.

 

Your obsession with the logo is troubling, we live in a new age which has little to do with the past.   I'm not sure where your views on what the logo implies comes from but I'd look closely at what you have been ingesting lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

The iPod Touch seems a bit expensive compared to the other devices out there. Perhaps they're counting on Siri and the faster chip to make up for the high price. It's only a matter of time for another tablet maker to have a much higher capacity memory chip priced the same or even less. As I see it somebody must really want a pocket size device to get an iPod Touch. Already other brands of phones have similar capacities.

 

I was expecting the Touch to be cheaper. Adding Siri doesn't seem like enough to pull me away from wanting to buy a seven inch tablet. I could go for a tablet because I don't store hundreds of songs. Now there are wireless devices that can be used as backup storage devices for tablets without a lot of built in storage. This makes the benefit of the greater capacity of the Touch not as worthwhile.

 

What Apple needs to do to win over people like me is to create a new codec that captures the audio clarity of analog. Remember almost a year ago Neil Young was saying Steve was interested in such a project? Neil said that today's mp3 recordings only have five percent of the actual fidelity of an analog record. I want something that good to come out into the market. If Apple leads the way and creates that they'll double their income as everybody with iTunes mp3s will want to upgrade to the audiophile experience.

 

By the way; what's with the Apple logo with the light and dark color scheme? The slash is from the upper left to the lower right, which is called a sinister mark in heraldry. Is this Apple's covert way of announcing that the company is now flirting with the dark side of things? It looks creepy. It is a sign that the company is now schizophrenic, battling with good versus evil. There are two camps within Apple and this is the signal to the world saying all is not well.

 

Did you notice that the Apple logo behind the band was all shiny black like Darth Vaters helmet? There was a ray of light shining out of the bite mark. Maybe it symbolized Steve's spirit trying to break out of this new gloomy burgeoning Apple Evil Empire.

post #38 of 76

People need to remember this is a new Apple, a company with strength in the market place it has never had.    Pricing on the Touch opens up marketing possibilities we haven't seen before, for example they could offer strong discounts for the Christmas shopping season.   $25 to $50 dollars off for Black Friday would still be a very profitable sale for Apple.   Or we could see Apple bundling Touch with other machines at a discounted price for things like back to school.

 

As to iPad Mini there is zero market overlap, they can price the Mini at any point they want.   Further iPad 2 would likely die with the arrival of the Mini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poke View Post

 

It's difficult to see where an iPad mini could be priced. $349? $399 and it replaces the iPad 2?

 

Maybe there's no iPad mini at all?

post #39 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

Why would you want gps on an iPod touch? You have to be connected to wifi, and that's hard to do in a moving vehicle.
No you don't...

There are Nav Apps available that download the database with the app ... to then be used when no data connection is available.

GPS itself doesn't need a data connection.

Sure, that's true, it's not so much about wifi.

But without a cellular network providing AGPS it would take forever to get a lock. Look how much longer dedicated GPS products take to get a lock compared with a phone with GPS, and they would have a much more powerful GPS chip than a phone. So all in all I don't think it would be overly useful in a touch except for maybe fitness apps at the most, as a runner is much slower moving than a car.
It's the heat death of the universe, my friends.
Reply
It's the heat death of the universe, my friends.
Reply
post #40 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


The classic is popular with pros and and audio professionals. It is rather sad actually that the Touch didn't get a size update to flash memory, 64 GB is hardly enough. As to the 17" MBP yeah I would have to say Classic most likely out sells that model by a large margin.

 

I would say rather that the Classic is popular with music elitists and with so-called "audiophiles" that think they can detect sound differences that science can find no evidence for.  

 

They believe this so strongly (that they can tell the difference between the two), despite it being proven over and over again that this is false, that their only recourse is to stick with uncompressed music.  Which of course takes up four times the space.  Thus, the Classic.  

 

This same group of folks will swear up and down that vinyl actually sounds better than digital also, which while theoretically true, is and never has been *actually* true. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › 6.1mm-thick 5th-gen iPod touch has Siri, 4" display, A5 CPU