or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple highlights invention behind iPhone 5

Apple highlights invention behind iPhone 5 - Page 2

post #41 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post

"Look at iPhone 5 and you can’t help but notice the exquisite chamfer surrounding the display," - well, notice it for a few seconds at least before you wrap it in a leather pouch or a rubber bumper case or similar so that the beauty that you can no longer appreciate is well protected.
Ah well ...

No matter what brand smartphone I owned I would have it in a pouch or case of some kind. Actually, my preference is the foof case, textile lined with sheepswool. I put my naked iPhone in that and take it out when in use and can enjoy the design in it's original glory.

"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #42 of 55

I'm not sure the glass is completely inlaid within the band - in the pictures on Apple's website it seems to be slightly raised. Which is a shame as there's less symmetry.

The antenna gaps spoil the clean lines too, especially where they cross the bevel. The two tone back panel would look much better if it was just the brushed metal. Though in both cases there's a engineering reason for it.

It does look good though. When people can actually see/feel how thin and light it is they'll probably be even more impressed.

post #43 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turley Muller View Post

Those aren't protective edges covering the glass in 4/4S- It is the glass! With the glass inlaid in the IP5 (meaning it doesn't protrude above the metal band) glass strength is significantly enhanced because when impacted, the glass has no where to go to expand, thus crack. Try placing an egg in a ring, or pipe where it sticks out half way. Then beat on the top of the egg with a hammer. The egg won't break because the sides are supported by the ring or pipe it is resting in. Same with glass on IP5. Since it rests in the unibody casing, the glass can't expand to crack very easily. Thus, the IP5 glass should be considerably stronger and damage resistant.

Whetherit works or not, the egg trick will be fun to try.

post #44 of 55

I know this isn't in line with the rest of the comments, and maybe even a little off topic, however, has anyone noticed how Apple is pushing the BLACK iPhone 5 over the WHITE one?

The WHITE is beautiful, in a contrasting way, I will admit, however it seems the break through for them, in design, style, and manufacturing, is the BLACK one.

Usually, if Apple has both a BLACK and a WHITE model of something available, EVERYTHING on their site pushes the white one, however in the case of the iPhone 5 they higlight the BLACK one all over the place :

http://www.apple.com/iphone/

http://www.apple.com/iphone/built-in-apps/

http://www.apple.com/iphone/from-the-app-store/

http://www.apple.com/iphone/ios/

There are actually markedly more instances of BLACK over white all over their site.

The WHITE is "clean", but not really a break through (no anodizing), while the BLACK is "Elegant", and a nod to Steve Jobs at NXT computers (his anodizing the screws inside the case), and I would not be surprised if there were some shortages of black over white this time around, due to the extra steps of anodizing the aluminum.

Just something to think about in the decision making process, as well as the manufacturing process.

post #45 of 55
I swear there is no way to satisfy people nowadays. Last year when the iPhone 4S came out, everything inside the phone was upgraded. The only thing that stayed the same was the exterior. Just because it looked the same people were bitching. Which doesnt really make too much sense.

So then this year Apple goes and again upgrades basically all the internals, and also does a whole new exterior design. And people still whine....what is it that would satiafy them?
post #46 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

They didn't say it was sapphire, but sapphire glass. I doubt they could use real sapphire.

From http://www.apple.com/iphone/design/

"Although the surface of the iSight camera is as clear as glass, it’s not made of glass. It’s actually sapphire crystal, whose hardness is second only to diamond on the scale of transparent materials. That means the surface of the lens is far less likely to scratch."

post #47 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

The 4s has a plastic protective edge which is too thin to provide much protection.  At least it didn't for me.  The 5 appears to have most of the glass screen imbedded into the aluminum case so a glancing blow at 45 degrees shouldn't break the glass.  I agree it could be a better but I'm not sure it is any worse than the 4s.  The glass on the back is a waste for anyone who is going to use a case anyway.  Getting rid of it does allow a thinner with "with case" phone.

There are only glass inlays on the back, because a solid metal case wouldn't let the antennas "see out".

post #48 of 55
One interesting item the most tech news (except Cringely.com) missed regarding the new iPhone 5 is the nature of the new Lightning cable/connector. It's not USB and may be Thunderbolt. No one is quite sure yet. If it's using the Thunderbolt protocol, it could be possible to attach a full size monitor directly to the iPhone 5.

Is this the beginning of the confluence between iPhone and laptop? With a Thunderbolt cable connecting your iPhone to a full size monitor, and then using an Apple Bluetooth keyboard, couldn’t most people use their phone for their computer?

I see an awful lot of people discarding their $299 laptops and consolidating around their beloved iPhone.

The Thunderbolt is a natural for the new iPads ( and mini) as well! Think about that one! Cheap PC and cheap laptop manufacturers could be in big trouble!

B.J.
BlaneJackson.com
post #49 of 55
One interesting item the most tech news (except Cringely.com) missed regarding the new iPhone 5 is the nature of the new Lightning cable/connector. It's not USB and may be Thunderbolt. No one is quite sure yet. If it's using the Thunderbolt protocol, it could be possible to attach a full size monitor directly to the iPhone 5.

Is this the beginning of the confluence between iPhone and laptop? With a Thunderbolt cable connecting your iPhone to a full size monitor, and then using an Apple Bluetooth keyboard, couldn’t most people use their phone for their computer?

I see an awful lot of people discarding their $299 laptops and consolidating around their beloved iPhone.

The Thunderbolt is a natural for the new iPads ( and mini) as well! Think about that one! Cheap PC and cheap laptop manufacturers could be in big trouble!

B.J.
BlaneJackson.com
post #50 of 55
Originally Posted by Blane Jackson View Post
It's not USB and may be Thunderbolt.

USB 2. Potentially able to go faster, but only USB 2 now.

Who the heck would use a $299 laptop?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #51 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That whole "725 different back plates" thing seems wasteful to me ("just be more accurate!"), unless they're literally reaching a physical limitation of the capabilities of the machines in question, in which case it turns into a problem similar to the one that transistors will run into soon.

This is how I see it: Previously (as in 4 and 4S), a single piece of glass was the back (and back) - smooth and continuous. Any variation in tolerance would not be visible to the eye (because they deliberately designed the assembly so that the glass protruded from the antenna band rather than being flush with it). With iPhone 5, the two pieces of glass inlays on the back have to mate seamlessly with the aluminum back. Aluminum (or alumin-e-um, if you are Jony Ive) can be machined to fraction of a thou (i.e. ±0.0002") or, as Ive said, microns. This may not be enough to ensure true seamless transition from glass to aluminum to glass (I know that you can feel an edge if two mating parts are ±0.0005"). So they measure the parts to find the best matched ones. Through trial and error, they must have discovered that there is sufficient and detection tolerance variations within 700+ inlays. For Ive, changing the design from a smooth back to a three-part back is not trivial because he doesn't want anyone to feel any seam. Worse, imagine fabric or skin caught on a seam. So this 3-part back has to be perfectly smooth.

Edited by Harbinger - 9/13/12 at 2:35pm
post #52 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjb View Post

Sorry, I like iPhone 4s better designwise. iPhone 5 does not have protective edges covering front glass, when would Apple learn?

I would guess the metal bevel bezel is probably better than the plastic one in this respect. The plastic edging was a bit soft, I don't think it did much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post

"Look at iPhone 5 and you can’t help but notice the exquisite chamfer surrounding the display," - well, notice it for a few seconds at least before you wrap it in a leather pouch or a rubber bumper case or similar so that the beauty that you can no longer appreciate is well protected.
Ah well ...

That's the shame of it. I've broken the glass on various iPhones three times over the years, once with a drop onto wood, so I'm just not going to go without a case. The device design and manufacturing sure looks nice, but the chassis design probably won't be much of a factor for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormM View Post

From http://www.apple.com/iphone/design/

"Although the surface of the iSight camera is as clear as glass, it’s not made of glass. It’s actually sapphire crystal, whose hardness is second only to diamond on the scale of transparent materials. That means the surface of the lens is far less likely to scratch."

Huh. The scratchy problem with iPhone 4 camera cover glass was because the cover glass protruted out the back face a bit. Inset a bit and it probably would have been fine, making sapphire not as necessary, though still pretty nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blane Jackson View Post

Why would the USB to Lightning cable have Thunderbolt built into it? That's a waste of a protocol translation. It sounds like jack on the iPhone side can self-reconfigure, so if Apple chooses to offer a Thunderbolt mode, they can, but that seems unlikely given that single chip NAND can only go so fast.

Apple doesn't say anything other than USB right now.

Quote:

All I see is less pressure on the other devices. iPhone is a nice go-anywhere device, but I like to have a larger screen if it's available. And the fact that mobile apps and sites seem to take away one feature I really must have.
Edited by JeffDM - 9/13/12 at 6:46pm
post #53 of 55

On the referenced Apple page (http://www.apple.com/iphone/design/) there is a video extolling the awesomeness of the new headphones ("EarPods").  Have we heard any first hand commentary about them yet?  I hope they are better than the old included ones.  I must have 4 sets of those that I've never unwrapped.

post #54 of 55
It is indeed sapphire, aka crystalline Al2O3, manufactured rather than mined.

I'm still looking forward to the diamond age (thanks Neal Stephenson) but it seems that we'll be waiting a bit longer for that.
post #55 of 55
iLounge.com gave the EarPods an A- rating.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple highlights invention behind iPhone 5