or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple to kill Ping social music sharing service on Sept. 30

Apple to kill Ping social music sharing service on Sept. 30

post #1 of 25
Apple on Wednesday quietly announced it is no longer accepting new members to its Ping service and will kill the project altogether on Sept. 30.

The message appeared in the Ping section of iTunes following Apple's announcement of the iPhone 5, new iPod models and the launch of iTunes 10.7. For those iTunes users who are currently Ping members, the music sharing service will be available until the September close date.

Apple CEO Tim Cook first hinted Ping might be getting axed during the D10 conference in May.

"Will we kill it?" Cook said, referring to the service. "I don't know. We'll look at that."

He said that while Apple does not have its own social network, the company needs to "be social."

Ping Ending
Apple's Ping service will end operations on Sept. 30. | Source: iTunes

Apple introduced Ping in 2010 as a social way to promote music discovery.

It was reported earlier in September that Ping may have been spawned by Apple's attempt to compete with music streaming companies like Pandora. The Cupertino tech giant allegedly felt that so-called internet radio would be beneficial in pushing iTunes sales, however the plans were scrapped with Ping promoted as an alternative music discovery solution.

Apple is once again rumored to be working on a music streaming service, however negotiations have yet to bear fruit.

While Ping received some acclaim at launch, the lack of true integration with social networks such as Facebook is thought to have been the service's downfall.

It is not clear what, if anything, will replace Ping, but Cook noted the deeper integration of Twitter and Facebook in iOS and the upcoming OS X 10.8.2 Mountain Lion update are examples of the company's social initiatives.
post #2 of 25

Finally! What a terrible service. Apple was a fail in this area. It sucks. 

Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

post #3 of 25

Still more useful than Google+

post #4 of 25
Do you mean iTunes 11?
post #5 of 25

I really didn't care for it.  Didn't use it all that much.

An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #6 of 25
NOOOOO!
post #7 of 25
I have 10x as much interest in Ping as I have in Facebook. Which is to say: none at all. (But for those who used it, I sympathize about the loss.)
post #8 of 25

What a bummer!  I found quite a bit of new music through Ping.  It was also an easy place to keep up to date with my friends Playlists.

So it has a low user base, all that means is that Apple needed to improve it.  Open it up to everything in the iTunes Store, link it to iCloud and display users latest played songs, offer stats that you could post and share, etc.  There was a lot of potential.  Bummer that it was never fully taken advantage of.

post #9 of 25
Originally Posted by DustinLH00 View Post
Do you mean iTunes 11?

No, they mean 10.7. We don't even know if the next one is 11.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #10 of 25
deleted
Edited by kellya74u - 7/24/13 at 9:14am
post #11 of 25

The whole concept of Ping was stupid.  Good riddance.

post #12 of 25

Apple had a social network?    ;-)

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Apple had a social network?    ;-)

Yeah, it was called Buzz and they automatically signed all their customers up to it and shared their contacts...

...oh, hang on that was Google 😱😱😱

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #14 of 25
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post
Yeah, it was called Buzz and they automatically signed all their customers up to it and shared their contacts...

whwhwhww, wait, they did that for Buzz?! Good thing I never had any solid contacts on my Gmail account…

post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

What a bummer!  I found quite a bit of new music through Ping.  It was also an easy place to keep up to date with my friends Playlists.

So it has a low user base, all that means is that Apple needed to improve it.  Open it up to everything in the iTunes Store, link it to iCloud and display users latest played songs, offer stats that you could post and share, etc.  There was a lot of potential.  Bummer that it was never fully taken advantage of.

They could be killing it to replace it with something new when the new iTunes launches in Oct. something perhaps more like LaLa.com's sharing. They would want to make a clean start so the negative aura of Ping doesn't affect it

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

What's Buzz? Never heard of it.

post #17 of 25

FAIL

post #18 of 25

Yes I was 1 that would have signed-up but that no private account was confusing!

The signup showed my real name & private email address but also had listed my other username for feedback?

Also this would is better then having FB or Google 

post #19 of 25
Google is a success. I never understood the point of Facebook (which I don't use) or Ping (which I activated and never used). Google ... everyone I care about is on it, and that's a lot of people.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #20 of 25

I weep.   

(not)

post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proximityeffect View Post

Still more useful than Google+

More active users than Google+ too.

post #22 of 25
I actually liked Ping and used it....only because I don't use Facebook. Ping worked as a good alternative to FB for me as my interest is in music anyway.
post #23 of 25

The whole thing hinged on its interfacing with facebook - and when that fell through, the handwriting for this ignominious end was on the wall.  Which is what got me doing what facebook wanted, i.e., using Spotify (which recognizes all of my iTunes Library - plus lets me play virtually anything I don't own on demand - plus lots of social and friend list features.....

...but Apple and fb are cozying up in new ways on OS X, so maybe there ARE developments in the future to hold on for???

Quote:
Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellya74u View Post

I learned what Ping would do & I liked it. I was able to follow my favorite artists, 'like' & rate the songs & read reviews. I was able to tailor the experience to exactly the way I wanted it. Many of the artists I like kept their accounts current, vital & active. I submitted recommendations on what could have been improved. I believe Ping could have been improved & made quite relevant, had someone at Apple had the vision & permission to see it through, tweaking it with customer feedback. I have invested hundreds of hours there over the years & enjoyed the experience, all to soon be wiped away.
Once again, "Thanks Apple. Thanks Alot!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

They could be killing it to replace it with something new when the new iTunes launches in Oct. something perhaps more like LaLa.com's sharing. They would want to make a clean start so the negative aura of Ping doesn't affect it

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #24 of 25

Ping sucked.  Epic fail due to lack of Facebook integration.  If it had that, it would have been the #1 app on Facebook.  Perhaps Apple could just make an "iTunes" Facebook app?

I don't understand people who don't like Facebook.  Yes, I don't like the stupid game requests, but everything else is great.  It is by far the best way to stay connected with people you know.  That is super important to someone like me, in the military, stationed for decades away from "home".

Mac Mini, iPhone 4S, AppleTV, iPad.

-------------------------------------------------------
Mac user since 1996 ("The Dark Days")

Mac Mini, iPhone 4S, AppleTV, iPad.

-------------------------------------------------------
Mac user since 1996 ("The Dark Days")

post #25 of 25

deleted

Edited by kellya74u - 7/24/13 at 9:01am
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple to kill Ping social music sharing service on Sept. 30