or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's aggressive iPhone 5 launch schedule to reach 31 countries in Sept. quarter
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's aggressive iPhone 5 launch schedule to reach 31 countries in Sept. quarter

post #1 of 31
Thread Starter 
The iPhone 5 will debut in a total of 31 countries before Apple's current fiscal quarter ends on Sept. 29, making it the company's most aggressive launch schedule to date.

The iPhone 5 will debut in 9 countries for its Sept. 21 debut: the U.S., Canada, the U.K., Germany, France, Australia, Japan, Hong Kong and Singapore.

Then a week later on Sept. 28, the iPhone 5 will roll out in 22 additional countries, including Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

In comparison, last year the iPhone 4S launched in a total of seven countries on Oct. 14, with 22 more countries added to the mix by the end of October.

iPhone 5


The fact that the iPhone 5 will launch in 31 countries before the end of the month is an important note for investors, as Apple's September fiscal quarter concludes on Sept. 29.

Analyst Mark Moskowitz with J.P. Morgan characterized the launch of the iPhone 5 as a "fast and furious rollout." He said the fact that Apple's new smartphone will be available in a total of 100 countries with 240 carriers by December of this year is a signal that Apple can avoid potential supply chain constraints related to 28-nanometer chips and new in-cell touchscreen displays.

With just over a week of international iPhone 5 sales before the September quarter concludes, total sales of the new handset are projected to reach as high as 10 million in the September quarter if Apple's supplies are not too constrained. Last year, Apple sold 4 million of the iPhone 4S in its first three days of availability.
post #2 of 31
And there we have it. All the rumours about Apple not having enough units for a basic launch are proven false with 31 countries in the first two weeks.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #3 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

And there we have it. All the rumours about Apple not having enough units for a basic launch are proven false with 31 countries in the first two weeks.

I'm eager to see the teardown process. I wonder if this phone is more easily assembled.
post #4 of 31
I've always gone into the store and bought my phone in the past, so this will be the first time I get in on the pre-order. When they say they begin shipping on Sep 21, does that mean they leave the shipping facility then or arrive at my door then?
post #5 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post

I've always gone into the store and bought my phone in the past, so this will be the first time I get in on the pre-order. When they say they begin shipping on Sep 21, does that mean they leave the shipping facility then or arrive at my door then?

I've only bought one in the store. All my pre-orders arrived at my door on launch day.
post #6 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

I'm eager to see the teardown process. I wonder if this phone is more easily assembled.

You access the front glass immediately after taking out the two screws so I would think that would be a bonus. However, with so much added into the front panel I don't think it'll be cheap to replace. I'm wagering iFixit will deem it easier to repair but more costly to buy some components.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #7 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

I've only bought one in the store. All my pre-orders arrived at my door on launch day.

One year I got it the day before the launch date.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #8 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

iPhone 5

 

 

 

That. Looks. Hot. 

 

Incredibly stylish. 

post #9 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You access the front glass immediately after taking out the two screws so I would think that would be a bonus. However, with so much added into the front panel I don't think it'll be cheap to replace. I'm wagering iFixit will deem it easier to repair but more costly to buy some components.

What was added to the front panel? With 4 and I think 4S, you had to replace the entire display module anyway. Supposedly one could just replace the digitizer, but I don't think that can be done well without a skilled hand, a fixture and a clean room, because the digitizer was glued to the display. Removing the old digitizer without damaging the LCD, removing the adhesive residue, applying new adhesive and attaching it without bubbles or specks, that's a lot to expect. It was just easier to replace the whole display assembly.
Edited by JeffDM - 9/13/12 at 6:57am
post #10 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

One year I got it the day before the launch date.

I bet Fed-Ex drivers dread iPhone day. I should ask him this time around and also ask how they feel about Samsung Galaxy S I or II or III day.
post #11 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

 

 

That. Looks. Hot. 

 

Incredibly stylish. 

I'm very happy it's more aluminum and less glass.

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
post #12 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

What was added to the front panel? With 4 and I think 4S, you had to replace the entire display module anyway. Supposedly one could just replace the digitizer, but I don't think that can be done well without a skilled hand, a fixture and a clean room, because the digitizer was glued to the display.

It was made more complex to manufacturer and it's larger so it could be pricer to replace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

I bet Fed-Ex drivers dread iPhone day. I should ask him this time around and also ask how they feel about Samsung Galaxy S I or II or III day.

Because of the number of stops, probably, but it's also light packages and a bunch of people who are very happy to see them.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #13 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

I'm very happy it's more aluminum and less glass.

I'm very happy they are using glass for the back inserts and not plastic. It's pretty amazing that they have 725 choices to find an exact match. We tend to think of these devices as being all exactly the same but the reality is quite different. I wonder if the 725 figure is just a new marketing spin (yes, it's definitely being stated for marketing reasons) or if this number really is very, very high for a consumer device's fit and finish.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #14 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post


I bet Fed-Ex drivers dread iPhone day. I should ask him this time around and also ask how they feel about Samsung Galaxy S I or II or III day.

I think most people buy Android phones in the stores.  

post #15 of 31

There's no doubt Apple is going to push as many phones as humanly possible in the Sept quarter to boost their financials. Imagine if the launch date was Oct 1. That happy date would be marred with a tragic (by Apple standards) quarterly financial report.

 

Apple stopped attending MacWorld conventions because they didn't want to be forced to have a deadline for new products, and yet they still have forced deadlines because of shareholder demands.

When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
Reply
When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
Reply
post #16 of 31
Originally Posted by silverpraxis View Post

…yet they still have forced deadlines because of shareholder demands.

 

Screw 'em. They really shouldn't care.

 

The most public proof that Apple did something wrong this time around is right in the stock price. It's not down. It wasn't even down yesterday. It's up… and that's disturbing.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #17 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

I think most people buy Android phones in the stores.  

I shoulda added something to indicate sarcasm on the Galaxy day. 1smile.gif

One of many great things with the iPhone (IMHO) is the fact that I don't have to walk into a store and deal with a mobile phone salesperson.
post #18 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


I'm very happy they are using glass for the back inserts and not plastic. It's pretty amazing that they have 725 choices to find an exact match. We tend to think of these devices as being all exactly the same but the reality is quite different. I wonder if the 725 figure is just a new marketing spin (yes, it's definitely being stated for marketing reasons) or if this number really is very, very high for a consumer device's fit and finish.

 

Fit and finish is a *very* high priority with Apple. You won't find that level of attention anywhere else. Glass, aluminum . . . materials matter. 

post #19 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverpraxis View Post

There's no doubt Apple is going to push as many phones as humanly possible in the Sept quarter to boost their financials.

 

I have some doubts about this assertion.  I'm willing to believe they want to sell as many phones as possible, but I'm not convinced they're setting their release schedule with an eye towards quarterly results.  Do you have any evidence to support this argument or is it mostly speculative?

post #20 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by delreyjones View Post

 

I have some doubts about this assertion.  I'm willing to believe they want to sell as many phones as possible, but I'm not convinced they're setting their release schedule with an eye towards quarterly results.  Do you have any evidence to support this argument or is it mostly speculative?

 It is 100% speculative, as you well know. However it is educated speculation considering missing financial earnings is viewed as bad news and iPhone launch day numbers are viewed as good news. If Apple waited until October to release iPhone 5, their 4th quarter financial report would have been bad news in the middle of what should be the great news of iPhone launch day sales numbers. No one would want bad news in the middle of good news. So I feel my speculation is justifiable, if not evidential.

When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
Reply
When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
Reply
post #21 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Screw 'em. They really shouldn't care.

 

The most public proof that Apple did something wrong this time around is right in the stock price. It's not down. It wasn't even down yesterday. It's up… and that's disturbing.

 I'd love to see Apple go private again. I know it would take years for Apple to buyback all it's stock and I know Apple would have to find some way to incentivize top employees to stick with the company, but wouldn't it be glorious not to have to bend to the whim of revenue and profit seeking shareholders (within and outside the company).

When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
Reply
When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
Reply
post #22 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

I'm very happy it's more aluminum and less glass.

I'm very happy they are using glass for the back inserts and not plastic. It's pretty amazing that they have 725 choices to find an exact match. We tend to think of these devices as being all exactly the same but the reality is quite different. I wonder if the 725 figure is just a new marketing spin (yes, it's definitely being stated for marketing reasons) or if this number really is very, very high for a consumer device's fit and finish.

Interestingly it is the aluminum case that has the variations. The glass they can apparently hold to tighter tolerances which is understandable. The aluminum is much softer and affected by the heat of the cutting tool. JeffDM could probably explain it better.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #23 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post


I bet Fed-Ex drivers dread iPhone day. I should ask him this time around and also ask how they feel about Samsung Galaxy S I or II or III day.


Just had to slide that negative comment in there, didn't you? You must be awesome at parties, what with that positive attitude of yours.

post #24 of 31

It's not just other countries that are launching on the 28th. I saw on my facebook feed last night that GCI and ACS, two smaller regional carriers here in Alaska, are both launching the five on the 28th. This goes against past practices, which saw smaller carriers not getting their hands on the latest iPhones until 6 months or so after launch.

 

This means two things: 1) Apple finally renegotiated their contracts with AT&T and Verizon, which gave both a large head start in sales over smaller companies, and 2) Apple is serious about selling as many of these things as possible before the end of Q4 2012. As high as their stock is right now, it's not high enough for some people, evidently.

 

Although there are plenty of screens available for the 5's, those rumors about production shortages may well be true, which would explain why the iPod's won't be released until sometime in October, even though they were announced yesterday. Generally, it's not a good sign when Apple holds off on giving out a solid release date. Since the new Touch uses the same screen as the 5, it stands to reason they devoted the majority of their capacity to the 5's first to get them out the door, and as supply builds back up, then they will roll out the new iPods.

post #25 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverpraxis View Post

 I'd love to see Apple go private again. I know it would take years for Apple to buyback all it's stock and I know Apple would have to find some way to incentivize top employees to stick with the company, but wouldn't it be glorious not to have to bend to the whim of revenue and profit seeking shareholders (within and outside the company).

Employees can own part of a privately held company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post


Just had to slide that negative comment in there, didn't you? You must be awesome at parties, what with that positive attitude of yours.

It would be understandable if those parties tended to attract android trolls like this site seems to.
post #26 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Interestingly it is the aluminum case that has the variations. The glass they can apparently hold to tighter tolerances which is understandable. The aluminum is much softer and affected by the heat of the cutting tool. JeffDM could probably explain it better.

I didn't think it was the aluminum. I thought it was mainly the way the camera, mic and flash line up on the boards that were the real issues. I'd expect the milled aluminum to be very exact, albeit not as exact as the glass, as you say.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #27 of 31

That's what happens when you have Tim Cook (who specializes in operations, and is pretty much the best in the [or any] industry) as CEO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox

Being an Apple basher means you never, ever have to acknowledge success.
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox

Being an Apple basher means you never, ever have to acknowledge success.
Reply
post #28 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It would be understandable if those parties tended to attract android trolls like this site seems to.

 

Cheap, unrelated, unnecessary shots don't exactly bring class to the joint, unless the majority of users here operate on the same toddler mentality. If that's y'alls goal, well knock yourself out. I thought I was dealing with adults.. my mistake.

post #29 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Cheap, unrelated, unnecessary shots don't exactly bring class to the joint, unless the majority of users here operate on the same toddler mentality. If that's y'alls goal, well knock yourself out. I thought I was dealing with adults.. my mistake.

You talk about behaving like a child and negative comments and yet that's all I've seen you post on this thread. Oddly enough, you've exhibited those traits whilst complaining about those traits. That strikes me as odd.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #30 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 
That. Looks. Hot. 

Incredibly stylish. 

Easily the best looking iPhone they've ever made and it's very fast too:



The panorama feature is really quick. This is clearly the phone everyone wanted last year:

http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/14/iphone-5-pre-order-sells-out-20x-faster-than-4-and-4s-further-highlighting-apples-dominance/

Q1 they sold 37 million iPhones, perhaps Q4 will top 50 million.
post #31 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Interestingly it is the aluminum case that has the variations. The glass they can apparently hold to tighter tolerances which is understandable. The aluminum is much softer and affected by the heat of the cutting tool. JeffDM could probably explain it better.

I'm out of my element on that one. I haven't needed such tight tolerances on such dissimilar materials. My closest is ±0.005" for stainless to aluminum, and I don't think my part-to-part variation is ever more than half that. All of my stuff is hand assembled, on the off chance something doesn't fit, another piece is used.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple's aggressive iPhone 5 launch schedule to reach 31 countries in Sept. quarter
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's aggressive iPhone 5 launch schedule to reach 31 countries in Sept. quarter