or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 5 preorders begin Friday at midnight Pacific, 3 a.m. Eastern
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPhone 5 preorders begin Friday at midnight Pacific, 3 a.m. Eastern

post #1 of 65
Thread Starter 
Customers looking to be among the first to buy the iPhone 5 will be able to place their order in the U.S. starting at 12:01 Pacific Time, 3:01 a.m. Eastern on Friday, Sept. 14.

Preorders


U.S. carriers Verizon and Sprint both confirmed that customers will be able to preorder the iPhone 5 starting just after midnight Pacific Time. Apple and AT&T have not yet given their preorder times, but based on years past, it's likely they will begin taking orders at the same time.

Like last year, Apple is also offering customers the ability to check their eligibility for upgrading to a new iPhone. The iPhone 5 starts at $199 when subsidized by a new two-year service contract.

Customers hoping to preorder an iPhone 5 and receive it on the launch date of Sept. 21 should probably act quickly. Last year, the iPhone 4S sold out of its launch day supply in 24 hours, after which new buyers were quoted an estimated arrival of one to two weeks.

For those who miss out on preorders, units will also be available at Apple's retail stores starting at 8 a.m. local time on the Sept. 21 launch date.

Next week's iPhone launch will be the largest ever for Apple, as the iPhone 5 will go on sale in 9 countries on the first day. A week later it will debut in 22 more nations, making a total of 31 before the end of September. Apple has said the iPhone 5 will be available in a total of 100 countries on 240 carriers by the end of December.
post #2 of 65
The Apple website mentions the pricing as unsubsidized. Did I miss the announcement that there will also be "unlocked" iPhone 5s available immediately?
post #3 of 65
Waiting for Friday...
post #4 of 65

Just so I am not late to the party, we are talking late Thursday night, rolled over into 12:01 am Friday?

 

 
post #5 of 65
I need an automatic iPhone pre-order app like one of those ebay snipe apps...
post #6 of 65

Yes 12:01 am is what all major carriers are doing as well. Who is staying up to midnight tonight?

post #7 of 65
last year i woke up at 3am ET to pre-order the 4S but Apple/VZN had system issues so I couldn't order it after trying for an hour. I went back to bed and woke up at 7am ET and was able to preorder it.
post #8 of 65
I hope the websites are set up to allow pre-ordering a subsidized phone as a new line on an existing account...
post #9 of 65

This is absolutely stupid. Not only did they pass up an opportunity to create less inconvenience for their customers in the East and Midwest, but Apple has also simultaneously increased the chances of crashing their systems (or making them slow and buggy) by not staggering the online release time.

 

Back to ordering frustrations at wake-up time on the East Coast. Such b-s. 

post #10 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetMan View Post

The Apple website mentions the pricing as unsubsidized. Did I miss the announcement that there will also be "unlocked" iPhone 5s available immediately?

Gsm phones bought full price are unlocked.

Also Verizon isn't grandfathering unlimited plans if you get a subsidy so Apple would want to keep those sales in house by letting you buy full price now.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #11 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

This is absolutely stupid. Not only did they pass up an opportunity to create less inconvenience for their customers in the East and Midwest, but Apple has also simultaneously increased the chances of crashing their systems (or making them slow and buggy) by not staggering the online release time.

Back to ordering frustrations at wake-up time on the East Coast. Such b-s. 

But then the west coast folks bitch cause the other zones got all the launch day phones

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #12 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkrunner1738 View Post

Yes 12:01 am is what all major carriers are doing as well. Who is staying up to midnight tonight?

I'm staying up to order one for my wife. I can sell her iPhone 4 on eBay and recoup quite a bit of $$$. I can't get a new phone until June of 2013 on AT&T because I bought an iPhone 4S last November.

 

Guess I might as well wait for the iPhone 6. Probably for the better anyway. Sure, the hardware is good, but I SERIOUSLY wish that Apple would do something with the dated-looking/feeling OS. Perhaps some widgets, more glanceable information, SOMETHING. Hell, just give us the ability to see weather on the lockscreen without having to unlock the damn thing.

 

For a phone to be so advanced underneath, the overall UI feels exactly like it looks: like something from 2007. Here's to hoping that Apple spruces things up with iOS 7.

post #13 of 65

Honestly people what are you upgrading FOR? The 4S is still a good device. What was the killer feature that apple announced that you need an upgrade?

post #14 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberjedi View Post

Just so I am not late to the party, we are talking late Thursday night, rolled over into 12:01 am Friday?

 

 

Thank you for asking this. I've been wondering the same thing myself. It's tonight at 12:01 PST?

post #15 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

Honestly people what are you upgrading FOR? The 4S is still a good device. What was the killer feature that apple announced that you need an upgrade?

I have an iPhone 4 through AT&T. I'm leaving AT&T for Verizon, so getting an iPhone 5 is a no-brainer.

post #16 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

This is absolutely stupid. Not only did they pass up an opportunity to create less inconvenience for their customers in the East and Midwest, but Apple has also simultaneously increased the chances of crashing their systems (or making them slow and buggy) by not staggering the online release time.

 

Back to ordering frustrations at wake-up time on the East Coast. Such b-s. 

0_o  Not quite sure if this is a troll comment. What you're saying is that Apple should geo-locate IPs to help with staggering the order times? I anticipate that trying to handle that would lead to a lot of complaints. (Or do you have a proposal for how this might be handled?)

post #17 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

This is absolutely stupid. Not only did they pass up an opportunity to create less inconvenience for their customers in the East and Midwest, but Apple has also simultaneously increased the chances of crashing their systems (or making them slow and buggy) by not staggering the online release time.

 

Back to ordering frustrations at wake-up time on the East Coast. Such b-s. 

 

No, THAT is absolutely stupid. One time means equal opportunity for all. It's the same every year. You're better off arguing 12a EDT, 9p PDT. No one's taking your phone away, don't want to get up at 3am, preorder at 6 or 7 when you get up. 

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
post #18 of 65

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdIWKytq_q4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post

I have an iPhone 4 through AT&T. I'm leaving AT&T for Verizon, so getting an iPhone 5 is a no-brainer.

THat i can understand, but this video is how i feel when i hear people rushing out to get the new iPhone

post #19 of 65

Tonight, after you eat your dinner, take a shower, and watch the late show.... wait for the little hand on the clock to be on the "Three" and the big hand to be on the "One", Then click buy 

 

Hope this helps lol.gif

post #20 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

 

No, THAT is absolutely stupid. One time means equal opportunity for all. It's the same every year. You're better off arguing 12a EDT, 9p PDT. No one's taking your phone away, don't want to get up at 3am, preorder at 6 or 7 when you get up. 

Looks like I don't have the monopoly on stupidity.

 

How do you think they handle a release across 31 countries, genius?

 

(Same question to the other couple of silly responses to my post, since I don't wish to waste my time repeating myself).

post #21 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Looks like I don't have the monopoly on stupidity.

 

How do you think they handle a release across 31 countries, genius?

 

(Same question to the other couple of silly responses to my post, since I don't wish to waste my time repeating myself).

The United States of America is one country genius, class dismissed. 

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
post #22 of 65

Setting alarm now.

post #23 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

The United States of America is one country genius, class dismissed. 

Wow. I did not know that! Not bad for an average Joe....ᵢ

post #24 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

Honestly people what are you upgrading FOR? The 4S is still a good device. What was the killer feature that apple announced that you need an upgrade?

There are those of us, myself included, that are upgrading from a 4. I'm sure some are even upgrading from a 3gS or older believe it or not!

post #25 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

Honestly people what are you upgrading FOR? The 4S is still a good device. What was the killer feature that apple announced that you need an upgrade?

Bizarre comment. As estolinski said, there are many people who do not have 4S that will be upgrading (I expect the majority of 4S owners won't bother).

What did you upgrade to the 4S FOR? The 4 was still a good device at the time. What was the killer feature in it that made you upgrade? Siri?
post #26 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I'm staying up to order one for my wife. I can sell her iPhone 4 on eBay and recoup quite a bit of $$$. I can't get a new phone until June of 2013 on AT&T because I bought an iPhone 4S last November.

 

Guess I might as well wait for the iPhone 6. Probably for the better anyway. Sure, the hardware is good, but I SERIOUSLY wish that Apple would do something with the dated-looking/feeling OS. Perhaps some widgets, more glanceable information, SOMETHING. Hell, just give us the ability to see weather on the lockscreen without having to unlock the damn thing.

 

For a phone to be so advanced underneath, the overall UI feels exactly like it looks: like something from 2007. Here's to hoping that Apple spruces things up with iOS 7.

 

I'm in the same boat, right now I'm on the fence. I like being one of the first to pre order so you actually get your phone on launch day. Versus waiting a month or so to get it. I think improvements could be made on Apple's apps and not necessarily the software. I wish IOS 6 was released before preorders so I could get a chance to play with and see it goes and such.

post #27 of 65

I'm upgrading from a 4s, for what it's worth to the person who asked, above.

 

My situation is a bit different, my oldest daughter is ready for an iPhone, and I'm using her upgrade to get the 5, trading the 4s to her.

 

In fact, I've situated it now so that each year, I have an upgrade available.  My wife next year (doesn't care about the latest phones really), Me the following year, Daughter again in year 3, and so on.  It's good to be king.

post #28 of 65
So help me, AT&T if you screw this one up....

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #29 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyinscotland View Post


Bizarre comment. As estolinski said, there are many people who do not have 4S that will be upgrading (I expect the majority of 4S owners won't bother).
What did you upgrade to the 4S FOR? The 4 was still a good device at the time. What was the killer feature in it that made you upgrade? Siri?


Siri, wanted a bigger capacity, the camera, and I liked the color white. On the fence right now if I want to spend 649 for a 64 gb white. Just to have more capacity, and a bigger screen. Seems to be it, since IOS 6 on the 4s will allow you to take Panoramatic photos and every other feature they announced.

post #30 of 65
Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post
Honestly people what are you upgrading FOR? The 4S is still a good device. What was the killer feature that apple announced that you need an upgrade?

 

FRICK'S SAKE. People were whining that there's not enough reason to upgrade from their 4S even though Apple doesn't mean for people to upgrade every year… and now there are people whining that others ARE upgrading from their 4S'. 

 

Completely ludicrous.


Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post
So help me, AT&T if you screw this one up....

 

The movie "Gone In 60 Seconds" comes to mind.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #31 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberjedi View Post

Just so I am not late to the party, we are talking late Thursday night, rolled over into 12:01 am Friday?

 

 

Yes. Get some sleep! I'm on the east coast! Ack! :)

post #32 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

So help me, AT&T if you screw this one up....

Usually there is an $18 "upgrade fee" that they charge. This time, I noticed that they want $36.

You mean like that?
post #33 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

Honestly people what are you upgrading FOR? The 4S is still a good device. What was the killer feature that apple announced that you need an upgrade?

Why not?  I buy the new one for $200, sell the old one for $400, get a refreshed battery, casing, faster processor.  Why in the world would anyone not buy it?  

post #34 of 65
Originally Posted by tkrunner1738 View Post

On the fence right now if I want to spend 649 for a 64 gb white.

 

$649 will only get you 16 GB. If you want 64 GB, be ready to cough up $849.

post #35 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

Honestly people what are you upgrading FOR? The 4S is still a good device. What was the killer feature that apple announced that you need an upgrade?

 

Because my contract was up in June and my 4 is missing A LOT of the iOS 6 features.  Not everyone has a 4S...

 

That being said, I doubt many 4S owners will upgrade.  Just like I'm not going to upgrade to a "5S" or whatever they call it.  I think it's a pretty safe guess that Apple internally plans on people being on a 2 or 3 year upgrade cycle.  Just watch what features won't be supported on the 4S when iOS 7 is announced.

post #36 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post


Gsm phones bought full price are unlocked.
Also Verizon isn't grandfathering unlimited plans if you get a subsidy so Apple would want to keep those sales in house by letting you buy full price now.

This is NOT true.  Unsubsidized GSM phones (from ATT at least) aren't available immediately unlocked from Apple - I called them to check again.  They have a delay in providing unlocked phones, and charge extra for them.  If I remember correctly, it was a couple of weeks before they started making them available.

 

Also, Verizon is making a HUGE mistake not grandfathering folks into unlimited data plans, which ATT is wisely doing, and garnering good will among its historic and valued customers.  After all-  give me a break, because attrition over the years will make this population smaller and less significant, so why provide a barrier to upgrading?  Some folks will find it more economical with Verizon to just continue without a contract, and buy unsubsidized phones, to keep unlmited data plans in place (until Verizon closes this avenue, of course, purely for greed), meanwhile, you almost guarantee that no one from ATT will switch - to do so is to GUARANTEE losing your unlimited plan.

 

Going to LTE, with its inherent greater data usage, makes me want to continue with ATT ad-infinitum (unless and until they do away with grandfathering - then I'll look at the options available).

post #37 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Hell, just give us the ability to see weather on the lockscreen without having to unlock the damn thing.

 

Just look out the window. 

 

See? That wasn't too hard.

post #38 of 65
Why are you guys acting like what I said is blasphemy? Aside from 4g, the iPhone 5 is not worth the value. We are still dealing with a piece of technology (last time I checked). In the tech world, an upgrade is justified by the added functionality the device offers. 

The iPhone 4S is still buttery smooth, arguably the smoothest smartphone interface. There isn't a single app the iPhone 4S can't handle. So in terms of usability, the iPhone 5 is still on-par with the 4S.

Once the 4S gets iOS 6 there will be no reason to upgrade to iPhone 5. No added functionality, no added memory, nothing technology wise that justifies a purchase.

No one here has answered my question, aside from upgrading from an older model, why would anyone upgrade from the 4S to the 5?
post #39 of 65

mrrodriguez, you asked why people are upgrading, then said the 4S is a good device. You never actually asked "why would anyone want to upgrade from a 4S". Besides from what I see, no one is actually arguing with you, let alone saying what you said is blasphemy.... Everyone is either upgrading from an older device, in a special circumstance (ie give 4S to relative), or just has too much money on their hands.

post #40 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoJimu View Post

 

$649 will only get you 16 GB. If you want 64 GB, be ready to cough up $849.


then there must be some subsidized pricing then, because when I check eligibility it says $ 649 before june 11, 2013 or $399 after.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 5 preorders begin Friday at midnight Pacific, 3 a.m. Eastern