or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Video shows BMW X5 crash into California Apple Store

Video shows BMW X5 crash into California Apple Store

post #1 of 77
A break-in at the Temecula, Calif., Apple Store last week was captured on video, showing the burglars crashing through the glass storefront and making a mad dash to grab as many valuable electronics as they could.

The video, highlighted by Tech-Shizzle on Thursday, is surveillance footage from inside the Temecula Apple Store. it shows a 2003 BMW X-5 crashing into the store, smashing the front windows and sending tables with Apple products on them flying.

Police have said that the vehicle was reportedly driven into the store by 22-year-old Equonne R. Howard, after which a passenger quickly stole iPhones and iPods.

Police allege that Howard popped two of the tires on the BMW. After the burglary took place, he reportedly changed one tire near the store, while the other flat was allegedly addressed with a stolen can of Fix-A-Flat from a nearby 7-11.

Howard, however, reportedly failed to repair the flat tires on his vehicle, and the BMW was abandoned about a mile from the Temecula Apple Store.

The suspect was apprehended by the Riverside Sheriff's Office when he returned to the scene of the crime in an apparent effort to retrieve the front license plate that came off his vehicle.

Howard is being held on $600,000 bail, which is the estimated amount of damage that was done to the Apple Store.
post #2 of 77
Idiot.
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
post #3 of 77
Why were they stealing $200 iPods when there are $2000 MacBook Pros all over the store? Any why smash up a BMW when you could steal a suburban?

Clearly some brilliant teamwork going on here.
post #4 of 77
The stupidity of this astounds me.
post #5 of 77

Dad?  Yes Son.  Can I burrow the Beemer?  What do you need it for?  I want to go shopping with my friends.  Be back by midnight.  No problem dad, your the greatest.

An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #6 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Why were they stealing $200 iPods when there are $2000 MacBook Pros all over the store? Any why smash up a BMW when you could steal a suburban?

Clearly some brilliant teamwork going on here.

I'm sure the BMW was stolen so what do they care about a luxury car vs. a utility vehicle. But yeah the Suburban would never get stuck like that BMW.

As inexpensive as disk storage is these days I'm always surprised how poor the video quality is in these surveillance cameras. They should be capturing full 1080 HD. It would make it a lot easier to id the bad guys.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #7 of 77

Just hilarious that he can't get the car out of the store.  He keeps getting snagged on either the front curtain wall or the security screen.  Plus the value of the merchandise stolen probably would not have covered the damage to his car.  And they aren't stealing boxed goods they are stealing display goods.  

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say drugs were a factor.

post #8 of 77
The Audi S8 would've been too easy to trace back to Jason Statham.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #9 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'm sure the BMW was stolen so what do they care about a luxury car vs. a utility vehicle. As inexpensive as disk storage is these days I'm always surprised how poor the video quality is in these surveillance cameras. They should be capturing full 1080 HD. It would make it a lot easier to id the bad guys.

It's a cost factor.  The cost of HD cameras (good ones) is still way higher than SD.  It's not just storage, but the whole package.  But yes, if you want to actually identify someone you should spend the dollars to get HD.  

post #10 of 77
Love it - you can see the numberplate fall off at 3 secs.
post #11 of 77
These were the Zune players of thieves.
post #12 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Love it - you can see the numberplate fall off at 3 secs.

Good thing CA requires front license plates, lol. If that was even the reason for the suspects return...

When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
post #13 of 77
Quote:

I'm sure the BMW was stolen so what do they care about a luxury car vs. a utility vehicle. But yeah the Suburban would never get stuck like that BMW.

As inexpensive as disk storage is these days I'm always surprised how poor the video quality is in these surveillance cameras. They should be capturing full 1080 HD. It would make it a lot easier to id the bad guys.

I don't think the car was stolen. The nut came back for the license plate. LOL 

"The suspect was apprehended by the Riverside Sheriff's Office when he returned to the scene of the crime in an apparent effort to retrieve the front license plate that came off his vehicle."

post #14 of 77

They don't bother crashing into Microsoft Stores. 

post #15 of 77
This is how the Kardashians go shopping.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #16 of 77
That's Android's turn by turn directions for you! Straight into an Apple Store.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #17 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Which was probably right across the street. LOL

Just for laughs.

post #18 of 77
Smash half the stuff you’re trying to steal, AND the car, which gets stuck in the store. Then steal the less-valuable, most-traceable items and leave the rest. Then mess around fixing the car and stealing Fix-a-flat in the same area you just trashed.

Step 3: Profit!

Ah, the importance of planning.

I wonder how many different stores they rammed into looking for Fix-a-flat.
post #19 of 77
Leaving his license plate at the scene of the crime is classic.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #20 of 77
Quote: #1
Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say drugs were a factor.

Quote: #2
Originally Posted by macminiwii View Post

I don't think the car was stolen. The nut came back for the license plate. LOL 

Ok then I'll take Quote: #1 for the right answer.

post #21 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

+1  or metro turn by turn

post #22 of 77

Why would they go back to collect the license plate if it were a stolen car?

post #23 of 77
Code:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

They have already plenty of PC's crashing in their stores.
post #24 of 77
Apple pilots innovative "drive-thru" feature in one of its stores.

As you can see, like Siri, it's still in Beta.
post #25 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTown View Post

The story doesn't say the car was stolen - just everything else.

post #26 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTown View Post

That's what I was thinking. And if it was stolen why bother fixing a flat? LOL

"Police allege that Howard popped two of the tires on the BMW. After the burglary took place, he reportedly changed one tire near the store, while the other flat was allegedly addressed with a stolen can of Fix-A-Flat from a nearby 7-11.

Howard, however, reportedly failed to repair the flat tires on his vehicle, and the BMW was abandoned about a mile from the Temecula Apple Store.
"

Now the can of fix-a-flat was stolen. LOL

post #27 of 77

iPads on the table... or iPads we just hit with an SUV?  I'll take the smashed ones please.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #28 of 77
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Talk about advertising screwing with search results!

Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

🔥

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #29 of 77
I'm from Temecula and the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw this was
"This town deserves a better class of criminal."
post #30 of 77
Two great tastes that go great together.
post #31 of 77

They've been Samsunged!

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
post #32 of 77
Stupid name (Equonne...??), stupid criminal, another stupid burden on taxpayers.
Edited by k2director - 9/13/12 at 11:59am
post #33 of 77

Must be an old BMW - the new ones all have run-flat tires and no spare.

post #34 of 77
It was his own car. hahahahaha

"That's what's so great about crack! You feel like you can do annnnnythinggggg!"
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
post #35 of 77
Just another Apple hater. He must really hate the iPhone 5.
post #36 of 77
Quote:

They wouldn't have gone back to retrieve the license plate if the car were stolen.  So they were just plain stupid to trash their own car for a few display phones and pads.

I do wonder what that store front was made of, that it could keep bouncing the car back into the store repeatedly, after letting said car in in the first place.

post #37 of 77

"Whatever happened to inconspicuous?" - Roy Scheider in "Blue Thunder."

post #38 of 77
Originally Posted by bonobob View Post

I do wonder what that store front was made of, that it could keep bouncing the car back into the store repeatedly, after letting said car in in the first place.

Why, it was made of one way glass, of course.

post #39 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Code:

Quote of the day!

post #40 of 77

Idiots. Lowering the bar for everyone.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Video shows BMW X5 crash into California Apple Store