or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 5 will not support simultaneous voice and data on Verizon

iPhone 5 will not support simultaneous voice and data on Verizon

post #1 of 96
While certain models of Apple's new iPhone 5 offer support for simultaneous voice and data over LTE, it has been discovered that the advanced network of U.S. carrier Verizon, and possibly Sprint, is not compatible with the feature.

Out of the top three major U.S. wireless operators, only AT&T will be getting an iPhone 5 model that can handle simultaneous voice and data, which allows users to browse the web or use other data services while making a phone call. Verizon does have a number of LTE handsets on offer that are compatible with the company's simultaneous voice and data CDMA equivalent, SVDO.

A Verizon spokesman told The Verge that its version of the iPhone 5 will not be able to handle the feature even if it connects to the carrier's LTE network:

The iPhone 5 was designed to allow customers to place a voice call on the Verizon Wireless network, while letting customers access the Internet over the WiFi.

Although it has not yet been confirmed, Sprint's version is also believed to not support SVDO as the company will be using the same CDMA model as Verizon.

AT&T, which touted the functionality as a standout feature over Verizon since it started selling the iPhone last year, will carry over simultaneous voice and data with Apple's newest handset on both its HPSDA+ and LTE networks. It should be noted that iPhone 5 users will not be able to access LTE speeds while on a call.

It was rumored in 2010 that the then-unreleased CDMA iPhone 4 would support SVD over Verizon's network, though the functionality still remains a GSM exclusive.
post #2 of 96
Why does Google ads continuously show these annoying mormon ads on both Apple Insider and Mac Rumors?? I'm so sick of religious and political ads. Especially the mormon ads.
post #3 of 96
Another couple of years of Vzw customers thinking they're not missing anything. And being told they're not missing anything.
post #4 of 96
"It should be noted that the "

... that the what?
post #5 of 96
This is quite the bummer I must say. I recently switched to Verizon and while I have been happy, I was looking forward to this feature when LTE hit.

Not a huge deal since I don't use it that much but definitely disappointing.
post #6 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

Why does Google ads continuously show these annoying mormon ads on both Apple Insider and Mac Rumors?? I'm so sick of religious and political ads. Especially the mormon ads.

Google Ads are very region specific.They use Geo IP technology. They know exactly what city you are in. Whenever I surf with my iPad, I'm really annoyed with the ads. I have Ghostery on my Macs so I don't see any ads at all on the desktop version of Safari.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #7 of 96

Big question: can other Verizon phones do this over LTE?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #8 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Big question: can other Verizon phones do this over LTE?

Every single one does. I'm not buying this story. In fact some devices like the Galaxy S3 even support simultaneous voice and data over 3G CDMA. if true,this is a huge miss on Apple's part.

Edited by thataveragejoe - 9/13/12 at 3:28pm
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
post #9 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Google Ads are very region specific.They use Geo IP technology. They know exactly what city you are in. Whenever I surf with my iPad, I'm really annoyed with the ads. I have Ghostery on my Macs so I don't see any ads at all on the desktop version of Safari.

+1 AdBlockPlus on Chrome (hey I'm at work... They don't let me use Safari on my Lenovo!)

post #10 of 96
Quote:
It should be noted that iPhone 5 users will not be able to access LTE speeds while on a call.

What speed then?   EDGE? 3G? HSDPA+?  LTE minus 64Kbps?  

post #11 of 96
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post
Every single one does.

🔜🔥💥

…or… 

🔜🔥💥

If this is true, we need to find out who made it so.

vvvvvv___________Snow Leopard compatibility___________vvvvv

post #12 of 96
Why can't the voice go over 3g while data go LTE? I thought voice was going through 3g anyway and voice over LTE wasn't ready.
post #13 of 96
Too funny. Been using data and voice at the same time for years in Europe, all for the same cost...
post #14 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by neosum View Post

Why can't the voice go over 3g while data go LTE? I thought voice was going through 3g anyway and voice over LTE wasn't ready.

That's exactly how it works now on every other device. It seems as though Apple didn't enable the ability to tune both dynamic antennas simultaneously. 

post #15 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundvision View Post

This is quite the bummer I must say. I recently switched to Verizon and while I have been happy, I was looking forward to this feature when LTE hit.

Not a huge deal since I don't use it that much but definitely disappointing.

This is likely a deal breaker for me. I know some people claim that SV&D isn't used or a big deal but for me it's a keystone feature for a modern smartphone. I was all ready to jump to Verizon, too. I'm likely not going to make that switch now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neosum View Post

Voice goes over CMDA '2G' and data goes over CDM2000(EV-DO) '3G' on Verizon and Sprint. LTE '4G' provided data over an IP network. There are future plans for voice over LTE with VoIP but that isn't hear yet and would be impractical at the current time since LTE does use a lot more power than CDMA.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #16 of 96
@theothergeoff AT
post #17 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

It should be noted that iPhone 5 users will not be able to access LTE speeds while on a call.

This is confusing. What does it mean?

1. Verizon and Sprint iPhone-5 users will not be able to access LTE on call
  2. Verizon and Sprint iPhone-5 users will not be able to access data at all (even 3G) on call
  3. All iPhone-5 users (including AT&T) will not be able to access LTE on call but AT&T users will be able to access 3G?

Can anyone clarify? I am contemplating to switch from AT&T to Verizon (for free tethering and facetime) but being able to use data on call (at least 3G) is a deal breaker for me.

post #18 of 96

And for anyone who does not believe that it is a big deal... think about the use case that someone is on a call and using tethering with the iPhone as a modem.  If you cannot use LTE for tethering in this way, then what is the benefit?

I should say that today, I use my iPhone (AT&T) in this way and LOVE it.  It is an amazing fall back for when I dont have Wifi hot spots around and want to work remotely (especially in an airport).

post #19 of 96
I have not seen any "Mormon ads", maybe they are customized just for you,Dysamoria?
post #20 of 96
The more I read about this phone, the more I praise my 4S. World phone without bullshit. No LTE support, but with data caps, who really needs that?
post #21 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

The more I read about this phone, the more I praise my 4S. World phone without bullshit. No LTE support, but with data caps, who really needs that?

Another point of confusion. Is iPhone-5 a regression as a world-phone compared to 4S? Doesn't it support same 3G GSM bands as 4S?

post #22 of 96

I reaallllyyyyy hope this is not true! I was planning on switching to either VZ or Sprint for the iP5. I hate AT&T -- spotty at best on BART train here in the SF area... with that said, voice and data together although I seldom use it, when I do it's very useful. Just yesterday I used it to email a link to a friend I was talking to. Guess I could email after we hangup, but in this day & age (I think people in every day & age has used that term) no one should have to wait till they hangup to use data. If this is an Apple decision - they really got it wrong!!

post #23 of 96
It's a hardware issue. Apple didn't include the necessary third antenna to make it possible. LTE will evolve to support voice in the near future....

Apple had to decide whether to add a third antenna or wait until LTE evolves to handle voice(it currently only handles data).
Edited by Postulant - 9/13/12 at 4:10pm
post #24 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 + View Post

2. Verizon and Sprint iPhone-5 users will not be able to access data at all (even 3G) on call
  3. All iPhone-5 users (including AT&T) will not be able to access LTE on call but AT&T users will be able to access 3G?

Can anyone clarify? I am contemplating to switch from AT&T to Verizon (for free tethering and facetime) but being able to use data on call (at least 3G) is a deal breaker for me.

AT&T's HSPA+ chips support what is called SVD, which is basically the ability to talk and use data. Sprint and Verizon CDMA chipsets do not support this feature. Don't remember why though. So when you are using an AT&T device and are NOT in an LTE area you will have the ability to talk and use data, but not in 4G LTE. The phones that Verizon and Sprint that support SVD usually have 2 radios, one for voice and one for data and they utilize a chipset each for Voice and one for Data. Probably a reason the batteries in 4G devices are notoriously terrible. So none of them will have SVD on LTE, but AT&T's HSPA+ network will continue to support it since those chips are built like that already. 

Hopefully it'll be resolved when VoLTE is made available but who knows when that'll be. 

post #25 of 96
you can't use voice and data at the same time now with verizon, you can with att, its not the iPhones fault its the carriers fault I wish these sensational click bate pieces would be dropped in favor for new original news pieces. Articles like these are a waste of bandwidth.
post #26 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

you can't use voice and data at the same time now with verizon, you can with att, its not the iPhones fault its the carriers fault I wish these sensational click bate pieces would be dropped in favor for new original news pieces. Articles like these are a waste of bandwidth.

Apple could have addressed this by adding an additional antenna(for voice) like Samsung and others have... but since LTE is expected to evolve soon, Apple decided against it.
post #27 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Too funny. Been using data and voice at the same time for years in Europe, all for the same cost...

Same in Australia, ever since we went from 2G to 3G, years ago.

It used to be pretty annoying (and slow) tethering with 2G GPRS and an incoming call would drop the connection.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #28 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post

Another couple of years of Vzw customers thinking they're not missing anything. And being told they're not missing anything.

Every other LTE phone allows this why not the iPhone 5?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #29 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

That's exactly how it works now on every other device. It seems as though Apple didn't enable the ability to tune both dynamic antennas simultaneously. 

Maybe they don't want to use Samsung's LTE patents, so stripped them out and are only using the one's they own or are licensed to use.

This could be a side effect.

post #30 of 96
Quote:

Ummm yes they can. I do it all the time.
post #31 of 96
Quote:

I don't think you can blame the carriers for a decision that is made by Apple with regard to how they want to design their phones. Unlike any other manufacturer, NO ONE tells Apple how to design their phones. If Apple would have "maybe" increased the size width wise so they could include an extra chip for a second radio, then all the carriers would be able to talk on legacy networks while utilizing 4G LTE for data only. Maybe Apple knows something we don't know regarding 4G chipsets, they did design this new chip that encompasses both 3G and 4G in one chip. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Maybe they don't want to use Samsung's LTE patents, so stripped them out and are only using the one's they own or are licensed to use.

This could be a side effect.

Good point, never thought of that one. Supposedly Samsung is already in the works to sue them over utilizing LTE on this device. 

post #32 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverjim View Post

So when you are using an AT&T device and are NOT in an LTE area you will have the ability to talk and use data, but not in 4G LTE. 

Well, I live in Bay Area, LTE is pretty much everywhere, if what you are saying is that I am not be able to use voice with data even on AT&T (not just Verizon)  then OOPS! No iPhone-5 for me.

post #33 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Another point of confusion. Is iPhone-5 a regression as a world-phone compared to 4S? Doesn't it support same 3G GSM bands as 4S?

Most of the world couldn't care less, it's only an issue for customers of a couple of American networks locked into CDMA which was dumped almost everywhere else.

You want a "world" phone, get the AT&T version.

post #34 of 96
Quote:

This is my understanding, as of now the VZWs LTE network is used for data only and calls are handled by the CDMA network. While on a call I can access the LTE network on my Galaxy Nexus. Can't understand why the same isn't true for the iPhone.
post #35 of 96
Quote:

I don't think you can blame the carriers for a decision that is made by Apple with regard to how they want to design their phones. Unlike any other manufacturer, NO ONE tells Apple how to design their phones. If Apple would have "maybe" increased the size width wise so they could include an extra chip for a second radio, then all the carriers would be able to talk on legacy networks while utilizing 4G LTE for data only. Maybe Apple knows something we don't know regarding 4G chipsets, they did design this new chip that encompasses both 3G and 4G in one chip. 

Technically, it's a limitation of LTE. Currently it only supports data... But like I've said, that's changing soon. Others have gotten around it by adding an additional radio. But the iPhone already has two radios(one is to improve reception). Apple would have to add yet another radio. I'm assuming since LTE will support voice and data soon, Apple chose not to bother with trying to figure how to fit a third antenna.
post #36 of 96
Quote:

Good point, never thought of that one. Supposedly Samsung is already in the works to sue them over utilizing LTE on this device. 

But a vzw lte iPhone would need 2 radios to work.
post #37 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverjim View Post

So when you are using an AT&T device and are NOT in an LTE area you will have the ability to talk and use data, but not in 4G LTE.

Quote:

Well, I live in Bay Area, LTE is pretty much everywhere, if what you are saying is that I am not be able to use voice with data even on AT&T (not just Verizon)  then OOPS! No iPhone-5 for me.

Well, AT&T seems to state the opposite:

"AT&T customers have the ability to talk and surf simultaneously on the iPhone 5," the company said.
post #38 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Technically, it's a limitation of LTE. Currently it only supports data... But like I've said, that's changing soon. Others have gotten around it by adding an additional radio. But the iPhone already has two radios(one is to improve reception). Apple would have to add yet another radio. I'm assuming since LTE will support voice and data soon, Apple chose not to bother with trying to figure how to fit a third antenna.

That's true but I meant the fact that they didn't add that additional radio. But you're probably on point on this changing soon. My guess is that Apple know's something that we don't and they are future planning around the option to be available around the corner somewhere and not bothering right now with satisfying everyone.

post #39 of 96
You can on AT&T @ Jason....
post #40 of 96
Quote:

That's true but I meant the fact that they didn't add that additional radio. But you're probably on point on this changing soon. My guess is that Apple know's something that we don't and they are future planning around the option to be available around the corner somewhere and not bothering right now with satisfying everyone.
Right. If the network is upgraded soon, the additional radio serves no purpose. It makes total business sense.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 5 will not support simultaneous voice and data on Verizon