or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 5 will not support simultaneous voice and data on Verizon

iPhone 5 will not support simultaneous voice and data on Verizon - Page 3

post #81 of 96
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by commun5 View Post

Because we all know that Verizon won't implement VoLTE until the iPhone 5SVD is released next September.  In May, Verizon spokespeople were telling the tech press that "there's no rush to implement VoLTE because only 2 phones support it."

Then that is on Verizon. Verizon has been claiming to implement VoLTE for over a year - you have to wonder if Apple thought Verizon would be good to its word in delivering VoLTE in time when they started designing the iPhone 5.

Btw, here is an article explaining the situation ... "While some network operators might have an inclination towards CS-Fallback (CSFB) to GSM and UMTS, others like Verizon have gone the dual radio approach, i.e. having two radios active at the same time, one for CDMA-1x and one for LTE. "[=http://mobilesociety.typepad.com/mobile_life/2012/03/lte-dual-radio-with-a-single-chip.html][/]

The problem is that you can't run both radios at the same time without causing a lot of interference between them, resulting in a lot of over engineering for an implementation supported by one carrier that will be superseded in less than a year.
post #82 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Also says "any equipment purchased from us or one of our authorized agents"

I know, it's in the text I quoted and came right after the text I bolded.
Quote:
...If you do accept, you can cancel a line of Service [...] within the applicable return period, any equipment you purchased from [...] one of our authorized agents...

I bet if I took Verizon to court because I returned the iPhone on the 15th day (half way through the allowed cycle) and Verizon still charged me a monthly rate for a phone contract tied to a phone number and phone I don't have that I would easily win, not that it would even make it to court.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #83 of 96
Quote:

DOH. I never considered the GSM version.

fragmentation ;)

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #84 of 96
post #85 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

It's Apple's fault, not Verizon:
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/13/iphone-5-calls-data/

Correct me if I'm wrong but can't a single antenna transmit and receive different frequencies simultaneously?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #86 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

fragmentation 1wink.gif

How is that fragmentation? Same would hold true for the iPhone then.
post #87 of 96
Quote:

How is that fragmentation? Same would hold true for the iPhone then.

It absolutely holds true for the iPhone.

post #88 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by elehcdn View Post

The issue here is supporting Voice Over LTE, which neither AT&T nor Verizon do. Ars Technica just recently had an article that Korea has the first cell system supporting Voice Over LTE. http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/08/worlds-first-voice-over-lte-launches-in-korea-us-stuck-with-3g-calls/

According to the article, VoLTE is due to be implemented towards the end of the year or early next year by Verizon and Metro PCS, followed by ATT & Clearwire. Likely, support for simultaneous 3G and LTE is already easy to achieve, since LTE is more similar to 3G than CDMA, giving AT&T bragging rights until Verizon gets their VoLTE going. Since the phone is being released with only 3 to 6 months before implementation of VoLTE, I can see why Apple wouldn't bother including another chip just for a few months for Verizon.

fwiw, this also explains why Apple made a big deal of better audio fidelity for calls, since VoLTE should have better frequency response.

Makes sense. Especially if it can be enables via software.
post #89 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

Why does Google ads continuously show these annoying mormon ads on both Apple Insider and Mac Rumors?? I'm so sick of religious and political ads. Especially the mormon ads.

What are "ads"?  (Seriously, how can someone be geeky enough to visit sites such as Appleinsider and MacRumors and yet not savvy enough use an ad block add-on to their browser?)

post #90 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Every single one does. I'm not buying this story. In fact some devices like the Galaxy S3 even support simultaneous voice and data over 3G CDMA. if true,this is a huge miss on Apple's part.

They (Verizon) have phones that do work this way but it's because the manufactures saved them by adding the xtra antenna.

Now it would be nice but I can see why apple didn't do this.

If I am not mistaken this a really only a CDMA network thing that is pretty much something most of the world doesn't use.

Apple decided against adding an xtra antenna to fix/mend the issue because ultimately LTE will evolve to allow data/talk, and it is mostly a Sprint Verizon issue.

Also they are trying to avoid lawsuit pitfalls from Samsung as they Have LTE patents.

Here's a good article on it

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/13/iphone-5-calls-data/

Also I'm sure the design would've been comprised by something that isn't their issue to begin with... so to speak.

Apple bet on the networks future as oppose to fixing what's broken now with Sprint and Verizon networks

Think of it this way, if Apple makes a mountain bike to be 
versatile enough to ride in the city or in the woods, but, there Is
are a certain group  of people who want to ride in the woods yet 
only have the skills to ride on paved roads, then should Apple
Pave  a road for them in the woods to  "jerry rig" the experience?

Naturally those people should just learn on their own to ride in the 
woods as its their limitation and should be fixed on their side of the 
Equation. 

So I can understand this, although it is a very complicated issue.

I have AT&T so it's a non issue for me, but I feel the pain of others on this.

It was apples choice. Also I don't think I'd want the phones design and thinness changed across the board just to fix a mess with CDMA.

But I haven't held it yet so I will resever my judgment until that happens.

From what I hear it feels awesome in hand.
post #91 of 96
Interesting.
The Verizon reps I spoke to assured me that simultaneous Voice and Data would be capable over LTE while still not capable over CDMA on Verizon.
I'm willing to bet this spokesman didn't understand the technology and had no idea what he was talking about.
post #92 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Most of the world couldn't care less, it's only an issue for customers of a couple of American networks locked into CDMA which was dumped almost everywhere else.

You want a "world" phone, get the AT&T version.

Ummmmmm.....It's already been shown that the AT&T version is NOT a world phone, which is part of the reason I switched. The other part is that Verizon will unlock the sim for world travel while AT&T will gouge you with roaming. 

post #93 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleigh Quinn View Post

Interesting.
The Verizon reps I spoke to assured me that simultaneous Voice and Data would be capable over LTE while still not capable over CDMA on Verizon.
I'm willing to bet this spokesman didn't understand the technology and had no idea what he was talking about.

Well, they are technically right ... they just didn't explain that since their Voice over LTE network isn't ready yet, you are stuck on CDMA until then.

Ben

post #94 of 96

So I can't receive iMessages or emails while on a voice call?  Can someone confirm this with their current iPhone on Verizon?

post #95 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceslar View Post

So I can't receive iMessages or emails while on a voice call?  Can someone confirm this with their current iPhone on Verizon?

Over cellular data whilst on a call, no.

post #96 of 96

Here's something to think about:

No simultaneous voice and data on Verizon, but have excellent reception, faster data speeds, and excellent customer service.

versus

Simultaneous voice and data on AT&T but have crappy reception, slower data speeds, and crappy customer service.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 5 will not support simultaneous voice and data on Verizon