or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple iPhone 5 available for pre-order, some buyers experience issues

Apple iPhone 5 available for pre-order, some buyers experience issues

post #1 of 72
When Apple, Verizon, AT&T and Sprint opened up pre-orders for the iPhone 5 at 12:01 a.m. on Friday, a number of buyers reported issues in completing their transactions while others got through the process quickly and smoothly.

Announced two days ago at a special event in San Francsico, the iPhone 5 boasts a redesigned chassis, larger 4-inch screen and a number of performance and aesthetic enhancements.

iPhone 5

While many customers were led through a quick and easy ordering process, some saw delays and error messages as an expectedly high amount of traffic took its toll on the iPhone 5 pre-order system. As of this writing, Apple's own online store was experiencing sporadic issues, and was taken down temporarily shortly after opening its virtual doors at the assigned 12:01 a.m. start time.

A number of reports from AppleInsider readers noted that, while the online Apple Store was down for those using web browsers, the dedicated iOS app was still processing purchases. As seen in the screenshot below, it appears that Apple was prepared to handle the onslaught of early adopters and instituted a system which reserves an iPhone 5 in case a wireless carrier's servers are unreachable.

iPhone 5 Pre-order

Those looking to buy the AT&T version of the iPhone 5 met the most trouble when pre-ordering, with the carrier's site exhibiting slowdowns that in turn affected Apple's own system.

When ordering through Apple, customers having trouble had their chosen model put on reserve and were sent a confirmation email outlining the appropriate steps needed to complete the transaction.

From Apple's email to customers:
Why am I unable to complete my order right now?
We are currently unable to reach your carrier?s systems to process the information that you have provided. We will hold on to the information you have entered and use it to confirm phone pricing and eligibility for your account.

Confirmation email

Following the email's link brings buyers to Apple's dedicated webpage for iPhone orders, which states that a second email will be sent when the carrier's systems can be reached. From there, customers have 24 hours to return to the Apple Online store to complete the transaction before the order is canceled.

Order Completion

As for the other major U.S. carriers, Verizon's website was reportedly the easiest to deal with, as buyers reported little to no problems using the company's online store. Sprint, however, saw major slowdowns during the first hour of availability, with some orders ending up in error messages, though the operator's site is now stable.

Unfortunately for those who had issues placing their order, the final ship time appears to depend on the most current shipping estimates at the time of the transaction's completion, contrary to the confirmation email's language. The Apple Store is now quoting shipment times of two weeks. In comparison, last year's iPhone 4S launch took 24 hours to see shipping times pushed back to two weeks.
post #2 of 72

Anyone one else having their iPad/iphone allowed to access the apple store but not their computer?

post #3 of 72
Ordered... worked like a charm... thanks AT
post #4 of 72
apple site is still not up
post #5 of 72
First!!! (to preorder) 1wink.gif
post #6 of 72
I still get a store down notice on Apple at 3:30 EST. I put in my order on Verizon's site at 3:27
post #7 of 72

I'm still getting this:   o

post #8 of 72
Got through and both I and my daughter ordered our new iPhone 5's. The store didn't come up until around 12:20 Pacific time and I got on first. My daughter wasn't able to get through using her Mac but was able to use the Apple Store app on her current iPhone and bought that way. The extra Lightning cable isn't scheduled to ship for 2-3 weeks.
post #9 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seankill View Post

Anyone one else having their iPad/iphone allowed to access the apple store but not their computer?

I've been refreshing for the past 27 minutes till I read your post and am now in the process of pre-ordering from my iPad!

Edit:

And I just got the email confirmation! Also, I wonder when Apple will start selling unlocked phones. Last year I heard that Apple Store employees were unlocking GSM iPhones that were sold to people who didn't qualify for early upgrade pricing since they were paying full price anyway. Wonder if it'll happen again this year. 

Edited by Duo - 9/14/12 at 12:39am
post #10 of 72
Apple site down on both computer and iPad, and ATT site unavailable here in NYC.
post #11 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo View Post

I've been refreshing for the past 27 minutes till I read your post and am now in the process of pre-ordering from my iPad!

You are welcome lol

Is there anyway to have your preorder shipped to another address, other than the address connected with your billing?

post #12 of 72
got mine through the ios app... att store wasnt working and bam done in less than 15 mins
post #13 of 72
Just ordered my 64GB! Thanks Apple...you guys must be better prepared to handle the trafffic this time:-)
post #14 of 72
Ios app worked for me got it in under 15 mins att is so slow an didn't get past the first page
post #15 of 72
Took about 20 minutes, but my order is in!
post #16 of 72
I am getting an error saying that I am using an incorrect AT
post #17 of 72

ATT site sucked. Got through with Apple - yay!

post #18 of 72
AT
post #19 of 72
Quote:

Yes, me. Ordering took a couple of minutes on the iPad.

post #20 of 72
I am getting an error saying that I am using an incorrect ATT passcode no matter where I try to order. I am unable to retrieve a passcode either. I know I am entering it correctly through.
post #21 of 72

Wierd!!  Worked with Safari  But not Explorer(Still States Down)

post #22 of 72
Did my order on my iMac my iPad still said the site was down. AT&T jumped the gun by like a minute. But all done and now in bed . Goodnight
post #23 of 72

Turn on private browsing if your store is not loading, this will make sure you are loading a fresh page.

post #24 of 72
Quote:

Ditto!  iPad to the rescue!!

post #25 of 72
Try turning on private mode in Safari and then refresh the apple store if you are still seeing the "we'll be back" sign.
post #26 of 72

i used the apple store app on my iphone it worked

post #27 of 72
Quote:

You are welcome lol

Is there anyway to have your preorder shipped to another address, other than the address connected with your billing?

I don't know if it's still possible, but when I ordered my 3GS I had it sent to my place of work. Got it before 10AM too! 

post #28 of 72
You have to use Safari. Firefox & Chrome does not work right with Apple.com. But I got my 64gb black ordered in three minutes.
post #29 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkstheshiz View Post

Turn on private browsing if your store is not loading, this will make sure you are loading a fresh page.

Huh.  That actually works.  Cool.

post #30 of 72

I was in the second it went live and my black 32GB iPhone 5 has been ordered. No problems, whatsoever. 

"The descent to hell is easy. The gates stand open day and night. But to reclimb the slope and escape to the upper air: This is labor."--Virgil, Aeneid, Book 6

Rob
"The descent to hell is easy. The gates stand open day and night. But to reclimb the slope and escape to the upper air: This is labor."--Virgil, Aeneid, Book 6

Rob
post #31 of 72

store is up but just finished order on iphone.

post #32 of 72

Can I have a phone sent to my son at another address than my own?

post #33 of 72
order is in. had apple store app, apple website and at&t website open in safari on my iPad. the at&t site had this countdown running towards 12:00am PST to start their preorder process for the iPhone5 on their site. at&t's web site actually went live BEFORE midnite! my order/upgrade went fast + smooth, and i was done a few minutes after midnight —my confirmation eMail arriving shortly after order completion has a 12:05am time stamp! (all the while the apple website/apple store app still had the 'we're right back' note showing)
na, that was easy...
Edited by bikaa-m. - 9/14/12 at 1:07am
post #34 of 72

Tried to order from my direct account but it didn't go through.

Unluckily I did get a message saying that my legacy unlimited data plan was now canceled.

I'm not sure what use there was in upgrading a phone that can only be used for full video 23 seconds per day on the $50 per month data plan.

post #35 of 72
Here's the deal ... If you have a new iPad then you will not be able to get through to the apple store ... If you have an iPad 2 .... Your golden. I ordered mine through iPad 2 with no issues ... I tried through iPad 3 with no luck. It may have something to do with the older version ... Not sure what or why. But thats what I found when I has them both up at the same time. I even went in several more times on my iPad 3 and nodda ... I then got back on my iPad 2 and I get in every time.
post #36 of 72
Quote:

You are welcome lol

I have always had my stuff shipped to work rather than home as FedEx is a little... unreliable at my home address. This time the Apple Store app on my phone wouldn't let me change the address, so I switched to the computer. That wouldn't let me change the address either. I couldn't find any way to have it shipped to work.

Guess I just have to hope the delivery gods are smiling on my home next Friday.

post #37 of 72
AT&T site took a big shit.

ISP died

Connected iPad3 to iPhone tether, and used the Apple site.

Worked great. Pre-order done. Now comes the week long waiting game.
post #38 of 72
Quote:

I don't know if it's still possible, but when I ordered my 3GS I had it sent to my place of work. Got it before 10AM too! 

how did you do that? the apple store doesnt appear to let me?

did you use your carrier?

post #39 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkswb View Post

First!!! (to preorder) 1wink.gif

I dunno. Order acknowledged 1 minute after go-live (note, that's one minute past five in the afternoon in Sydney).

post #40 of 72
Tip: Use the Apple Store app on your iPhone, instead of Apple's website. 8~)>
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple iPhone 5 available for pre-order, some buyers experience issues