or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › New Lightning dock connector capable of hosting USB devices - report
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Lightning dock connector capable of hosting USB devices - report - Page 2

post #41 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post


Not missing anything doesn't mean you're using the hardware the way Apple intended to. The point of the jailbreak is t add, not to remove functionality, but the moment you start using a jailbroken implementation as argument your point has been invalidated because the jailbreak does not express Apple's intentions whereas the stock firmware does, and those intentions were my argument.
Dude, the old port was just as generic as this one, everything you can do with a digital port you could already do with the Dock Connector, but the analog stuff you could output from the Dock Connector is no longer available, neither is the RS-232 port. This is a disadvantage because it makes the development of new accessories a lot less trivial.as now you have to stream stuff through USB that previously you got from analog pins for free, unless there is a way to make the connector output analog signals somehow, but with so few conductors, I seriously doubt it, especially since the adapter does not support those things.
Until I see composite, component, HDMI, RS-232, and analog audio adapters for the new connector, I will remain skeptical about this.

 

Do you enjoy eating sour grapes? 

 

The old port was dated. You really think technology hasn't changed in 10 years? The old port was large and easily damaged, as well. 

 

Did you complain when Apple dropped serial ports on their computers? How about the floppy disk? 

 

New technology is always slightly painful at first, as it isn't as convenient right away and can't be used with all the accessories you've accumulated over the years. But that passes with time. Would you rather be stuck in the past?

 

Complaining about the lack of analog output is pretty dumb. If you absolutely need to stay in the past, don't upgrade. Your current device will continue to work. Or you could follow industry trends and start doing things wirelessly. An Apple AV cable was $50. And AppleTV (which is FAR more useful and convenient) is only $50 more. If you can afford an iPhone 5, I think you can afford an AppleTV (which is nearly as portable as the cable set; it's the size of a hockey puck).

 

Technology advances, and over the next few months and years, we'll likely see more clearly the benefits of the new port. While uncomfortable in the short term, sometimes you have to (in my best Edward James Olmos impression) roll the hard six. 

 

Sheesh, you've been posting these complaints over and over since the announcement. Does it really affect you that much? If so, do you need to be an early adopter on the iPhone 5? 

post #42 of 46

vaelian wrote:Where did you hear that?

65C816 wrote:Lightning to USB... so I can hook a mouse up to my iPhone...?! 1smile.gif1smile.gif1smile.gif



That was what the question mark and smileys were for.
post #43 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

Not missing anything doesn't mean you're using the hardware the way Apple intended to. The point of the jailbreak is t add, not to remove functionality, but the moment you start using a jailbroken implementation as argument your point has been invalidated because the jailbreak does not express Apple's intentions whereas the stock firmware does, and those intentions were my argument..


You said:
"A jailbroken iPhone is no longer providing the Apple experience. ."

I asked you what part of the Apple experience I'm missing - my jailbroken phone does everything a non-jailbroken phone does, plus I can use it with Straight Talk. None of your babbling above answers that. What part of the Apple experience am I missing?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #44 of 46
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post
…my jailbroken phone does everything a non-jailbroken phone does, plus I can use it with Straight Talk.


You mean MMS with Straight Talk. Doesn't it work properly sans that when not jailbroken?

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #45 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ah, you said 'pocket HD', so I assumed the standard 2.5" port-powered drive.


Why wouldn't all your movies already be MP4 (or HEVC)?

Currently, I rip with Mac the Ripper or Rippit. These both put the entire DVD on the hard drive of your choice. You can play them on the Mac just as if you had an actual plastic disc in the optical drive. You can choose just what you want fom the menu. But, they have to be transcoded to run on iDevices (MP4 via iTunes) by using Handbrake, and THIS is a just-so-frustratingly long process! I'm sure you know all this.

So, I've often thought of an iOS app that would store the ripped discs within it after they are downloaded from a portable HD, flash drive, etc. Seems the Lightning port could come in very handy for this! The content would then play from within the app using the intact DVD menu, via on-the-fly transcoding (or play in it's native format somehow). At least in theory.

Can this be done? WILL some developer(s) take up the challenge? Many people have thousands of dollars worth of DVD collections and don't fancy spending that again for digital downloads. Besides, most of what we have isn't available digitally anyway.
post #46 of 46
Originally Posted by DeeGee48 View Post
Currently, I rip with Mac the Ripper or Rippit.

 

Wow, didn't know anyone still used that. VLC+HandBrake. You only need the former because HandBrake doesn't include the DVD whatever-you-need-to-do-it. HandBrake is spectacular, and he's already working to include HEVC support. Heck, he might have it done before iTunes or anything else can play those files.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › New Lightning dock connector capable of hosting USB devices - report