or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple 'completely blown away' by iPhone 5 demand

Apple 'completely blown away' by iPhone 5 demand - Page 2

post #41 of 160
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
ain'it

Twern't so! lol.gif

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
post #42 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Pre-orders sold out 20x faster than those of the 4S. If Apple has anywhere NEAR the numbers that we're available for 4s pre-orders (and they may have had more), we're looking at a monster launch that really is beyond anything else ever seen.
Either way, history repeats itself.

I say total fail. The iPhone didn't sell out before it was introduced. Heck, it didn't even sell out before it was announced.....
;-)
post #43 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

I find it hard to believe Apple had the same number of 5's as they did 4S's an sold out 20X faster. It doesn't make any sense.  I think this is a combination of lower supplies for the US (more countries in at launch date IIRC), a better server to handle the load so more people could order faster without getting locked out, and maybe actually fewer in inventory if the supply problems reports are true.

I also love how so many of this forum are completely myopic. One either drools over every Apple move or one is a Fandroid.  I don't think this phone was a innovative in technology as it should have been. I repeated that here several times. It didn't stop me from buying one, but it also didn't stop me from pointing out the flaws I see in Apple's products.

The better server farm to handle these orders I think is what made it sell out so fast. I remember when I preordered iPhone 4, the servers were down at 12am, down at 7am, down at 12pm, and then up for about 30 mins around 4pm. There was a flurry of FaceBook updates with all my friends preordering at the same time I got through as well. With this new system in place, they reserve a phone for you even if they can't get through to the carrier servers. Boom, less downtime, more phones reserved. I think the only reason Apple wouldn't have more phones than the 4S launch is because of the timing they needed the launch to be within: before the end of their 4th quarter.

We'll all know soon enough, either on Monday if Apple deigns us with the info, or in late October in their quarterly conference call. It will be very very good news.

As for this phone not being as technologically innovative as it should have been, what should've been added?! A barometer like some Android phones, so you can be a storm-tracker. Smartphones have come to the point where they are feature-rich now. There is no more truly revolutionary tech that can be added to these phones, hence incremental updates. Unless you can think of some revolutionary tech that no one else can think of? At this point, it comes down to build quality and software. Apple is #1 in build quality and attention to detail, and they like to flaunt it (to the chagrin of some of us). Samsung, HTC, Motorola, and Nokia made some great phones as well. And Apple's software is solid and stable as well, matching feature for feature other phones with popular features in an easy-of-use way. I think they play catch-up with some features because they want to get it right the first time as much as possible.

Anyway, I'm rambling now, move along.

When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
post #44 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You don't know what "/s" means?

Technically, shouldn't it be </s> for the "end sarcasm" tag?

</s>

post #45 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by DethByUngaBunga View Post
Bring on the iPad mini, smart fingerprint tech, and whatever secret TV project is cooking - and let the haters hate.

I don't see how any of those ideas fit anywhere or are evident due to the iPhone's success. 

If I were to guess, the iPhone (5, 4S and 4) and the new iPods will sustain high volume sales through December.

New iPad Mini and a tweaked iPad 3 will add additional high volume for the tablet category through December.

An iMac, Mac Mini, AppleTV and Airport upgrade will be just frosting on the cake.

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #46 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedoc View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You don't know what "/s" means?

Technically, shouldn't it be </s> for the "end sarcasm" tag?

</s>

Yeah, but you need to be careful entering complete markup tags into a site that includes its own markup tags... so, the /s shorthand.

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #47 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

If I were to guess, the iPhone (5, 4S and 4) and the new iPods will sustain high volume sales through December.

New iPad Mini and a tweaked iPad 3 will add additional high volume for the tablet category through December.

An iMac, Mac Mini and Airport upgrade will be just frosting on the cake.

OMG, if Apple can push out new iMacs and Mac Minis, FY01/13 is going to be huge. But if they could manage to get out a smaller iPad as well, I don't think there's enough money on the planet for the Apple sponge to soak up.

I'm not exaggerating, I don't think there's enough discretionary income in the market for too many products at one time. I think Apple will hold off any iPad announcements/releases until at least January, if not March as normal.

post #48 of 160
This is likely why Apple doesn't publish their sales numbers.

Who would buy a smartphone without:

1.5 GHz dual-core Krait
2 GB RAM
Super AMOLED HD Plus PenTile display
microSDXC
MHL-HDMI Micro-USB On-The-Go (No Android-based smartphone vendor would ever make a proprietary connector like a MHL-HDMI adapter)
Replaceable Battery
NFC

A company needs at least 160 models to be successful. No company could possibly garner 18.8% of the worldwide smartphone market without hundreds of models. Three models just isn't sufficient to be competitive. Mark my words, iPhone 5 will be the last smartphone ever produced by Apple. Actually, Apple never produced smartphones. Who would call the Apple iPhone a smartphone without all those must have features. No one would possibly buy that.

Geez.

All you Apple sheep act as though Apple can do no wrong. From reading the comments, one would think that:

Apple has the highest customer retention
Apple has the highest customer satisfaction amongst smartphone vendors
Apple has the best smartphone reliability
Apple offers the most secure commercial operating systems

Who would want a elegant, reliable, secure smartphone with a highly responsive and intuitive user interface. Who wants a static user interface that never changes. My Android-based smartphone constantly changes, so much so that sometimes I need 3 minutes to find an app I just used. The constantly changing user interface dramatically improves the battery as well since I change batteries every two hours. You Apple sheep are all fools.

Baaa
Edited by MacBook Pro - 9/14/12 at 5:33pm
post #49 of 160
Ordered m black 32GB AT
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #50 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverpraxis View Post

Quote:

ts 

An iMac, Mac Mini and Airport upgrade will be just frosting on the cake.

OMG, if Apple can push out new iMacs and Mac Minis, FY01/13 is going to be huge. But if they could manage to get out a smaller iPad as well, I don't think there's enough money on the planet for the Apple sponge to soak up.

I'm not exaggerating, I don't think there's enough discretionary income in the market for too many products at one time. I think Apple will hold off any iPad announcements/releases until at least January, if not March as normal.

The iMacs and Minis target consumers, prosumers and business -- as do the iPads, AppleTV and Airports (to some extent).   For many  businesses the budget cycle for next year is still open.  Final Cut Pro X [should be] is ready to drop a new release and it exploits Apple hardware better than any other software -- it can use whatever RAM, SSSD, CPU, GPU you throw at it.   There should be no hardware or software barrier to new iMacs or Minis.  A standalone 27" Thunderbolt Retina Display would satisfy any high end video demands.

It's nice being in the catbird seat!

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #51 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

But isn't is supposed to be a disappointment?

Well, maybe in Trollistan, or Trollvania.

About as disappointing as a lame joke that refuses to die.

post #52 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

Uh oh, you know what this means. Apple intentionally shorted the inventory so that they could make this claim.
/s

The funny thing is people claimed that about Nintendo and the Wii. Clearly they didn't go to stores and see the hordes of people looking daily for the system for the first 2 years it was out. It was always sold out no matter how they raised production. Yes I noticed the sarcasm tag :)

Edited by SSquirrel - 9/14/12 at 5:21pm
post #53 of 160
Quote:

An iMac, Mac Mini, AppleTV and Airport upgrade will be just frosting on the cake.

The naked lady jumping out of the cake would be for Apple to announce a deal with China Mobile to sell the iPhone 5, starting before the Lunar New Year in Feb 2013.

post #54 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Quote:

The naked lady jumping out of the cake would be for Apple to announce a deal with China Mobile to sell the iPhone 5, starting before the Lunar New Year in Feb 2013.

Excellent point! This could happen anytime... The best timing would be just when supply starts to catch up with demand... whenever that occurs.
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #55 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

The funny thing is people claimed that about Nintendo and the Wii. Clearly they didn't go to stores and see the hordes of people looking daily for the system for the first 2 years it was out. It was always sold out no matter how they raised production. Yes I noticed the sarcasm tag 1smile.gif

That makes me wonder. What's worse: Apple fanbois vs Fandroids or Nintendo fanbois vs Playstation vs Xbox? They're all fanatical and irrational, but I feel the gamer fanbois are more irrational and hostile.

Note: fanboi != loyal fan

I own...

1 Android Phone, 2 iPads, 1 Windows Tablet, 1 Mac Desktop, 1 Windows Laptop, 1 Linux Server, 1 Linux HTPC

They all are used regularly and each have their place. Competition is good.

I own...

1 Android Phone, 2 iPads, 1 Windows Tablet, 1 Mac Desktop, 1 Windows Laptop, 1 Linux Server, 1 Linux HTPC

They all are used regularly and each have their place. Competition is good.

post #56 of 160
Quote:

Yeah, but you need to be careful entering complete markup tags into a site that includes its own markup tags... so, the /s shorthand.

Let the world burn. :)

post #57 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarquisMark View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

The funny thing is people claimed that about Nintendo and the Wii. Clearly they didn't go to stores and see the hordes of people looking daily for the system for the first 2 years it was out. It was always sold out no matter how they raised production. Yes I noticed the sarcasm tag 1smile.gif

That makes me wonder. What's worse: Apple fanbois vs Fandroids or Nintendo fanbois vs Playstation vs Xbox? They're all fanatical and irrational, but I feel the gamer fanbois are more irrational and hostile.

Note: fanboi != loyal fan

I haven't got the whole "fan" thing worked out...

But I think that I can define a "troll"

A troll is someone who puts himself on his own ignore list... Something akin to biting bubbles in the bathtub.
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #58 of 160

If Apple truly thought they had supply constraints going into this launch, they wouldn't have launched in so many countries at once.  They would have staggered the iPhone 5 rollout as they've done with models in the past, likely concentrating on countries where their profit margins are highest, until sufficient supply became available to meet demand in the launch countries.  Only then would they fold new countries into the mix.

The fact they opened broad and immediately sold out indicates Apple truly, severely underestimated demand for this thing.  Which is a problem I suppose, but not the worst problem in the world to have.  I'm sure Samesung wishes they had that problem...

post #59 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Thought I'd just add that the iPhone 5 is probably just a success because it stole Android's notification center.
;-)

How true!  The number one Android attempt at a comeback.

post #60 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I love the `tech gurus of the Android world' talking smack about a blah product. Quality sells out. A choice of 50 so-so and a few very large screen phones will force OEMs to rethink it all from the ground up. Google is reaping money off your advertisement relationships. They could care less if the OEMs fail. They'll quietly make sure their subsidiary, MM, starts to put out more compelling solutions.

What 'tech gurus'? You mean 'the self-important tech elite'?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #61 of 160
Quote:

And the markup behavior changes almost daily! lol.gif

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #62 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

But isn't is supposed to be a disappointment?

Well, maybe in Trollistan, or Trollvania.

More like Trollandia
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #63 of 160

deleted

Edited by MacRulez - 1/21/13 at 3:09pm
post #64 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think we should all chip in to buy Tallest a new iPhone 5 with a 2 year contract prepaid. Perhaps then he will stop being such a Debbie Downer.

Good luck getting a prepaid contract, I guess you meant paid for 2 years in advance. I'd chip in to get Tallest a new iPhone.
post #65 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Apparently the difference this time is that they're not disclosing numbers:
http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-blown-away-by-iphone-pre-orders-again-2012-9

Probably because by the time they quote a number it's grown exponentially. Better to wait for the demand to level out first.
post #66 of 160
I love the indignant rage at all the "trolls" that have not posted a single (not ONE) comment of the 60+ thus far in this thread. Your paranoia is so pronounced that you're still railing against imagined detractors from launches that took place years ago.

It must be easy to win arguments against... no one?

If there WERE trolls here they would have undoubtedly conceded that the iphone 5 launch would be massive, but that it's a result of "herd instinct" and not a technological "revolution."

And to some extent they would be right, although not about the "herd instinct." They would be right that there wasn't anything revolutionary about the iP5. Like others here, I am excited about it, and I pre-ordered one, but calling it "revolutionary" is pretty ridiculous. First to market Cortex-A15, new but similar look, slightly bigger screen, slightly lighter/thinner, slightly better battery life, reversible dock connector.... every single one of the new features is evolutionary. The fact that there are a lot of them makes it worth buying, but that has nothing to do with "revolutionizing" mobile phones.

Thanks for ruining it for everyone because it is a pretty exciting product, until you make it into an emblem for a corporate self-identity.
post #67 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Apparently the difference this time is that they're not disclosing numbers:
http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-blown-away-by-iphone-pre-orders-again-2012-9

You're jumping to conclusions awfully fast. I seem to recall that Apple didn't give a number immediately after the day-one pre-orders were set but did so a day later (or days later if there was a weekend in the way).

Of anything to squint your eyes over suggesting Apple isn't shady about the sales numbers it offers is not one of them. Would you also question the 600 million headphones shipped, too?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #68 of 160
New iPhone is announced.

Haters gonna to hate.

Pre-orders sold out.

Haters claim only a small number of units were available.

Customers camp out for days and lines go around the block.

Haters claim Apple is paying people to camp and restricting supply.

Apple announces all-time record for sales for any consumer electronic product.

Haters claim it's all due to Apple marketing.

Apple announces record sales for following quarter, and quarter after that.

Haters claim only fanboys buy iPhones.

Rumors spread that new iPhone is about to be announced any day.

Haters claim iPhone has failed because sales have dropped (preceding announcement).

Repeat...
post #69 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Probably because by the time they quote a number it's grown exponentially. Better to wait for the demand to level out first.

Or quarterly and fiscal conference call.
post #70 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by macslut View Post

New iPhone is announced.
Haters gonna to hate.
Pre-orders sold out.
Haters claim iPhone has failed because sales have dropped (preceding announcement).
Repeat...

July 2008?
post #71 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

This is likely why Apple doesn't publish their sales numbers.
Who would buy a smartphone without:
1.5 GHz dual-core Krait
2 GB RAM
Super AMOLED HD Plus PenTile display
microSDXC
MHL-HDMI Micro-USB On-The-Go (No Android-based smartphone vendor would ever make a proprietary connector like a MHL-HDMI adapter)
Replaceable Battery
NFC
A company needs at least 160 models to be successful. No company could possibly garner 18.8% of the worldwide smartphone market without hundreds of models. Three models just isn't sufficient to be competitive. Mark my words, iPhone 5 will be the last smartphone ever produced by Apple. Actually, Apple never produced smartphones. Who would call the Apple iPhone a smartphone without all those must have features. No one would possibly buy that.
Geez.
All you Apple sheep act as though Apple can do no wrong. From reading the comments, one would think that:
Apple has the highest customer retention
Apple has the highest customer satisfaction amongst smartphone vendors
Apple has the best smartphone reliability
Apple offers the most secure commercial operating systems
Who would want a elegant, reliable, secure smartphone with a highly responsive and intuitive user interface. Who wants a static user interface that never changes. My Android-based smartphone constantly changes, so much so that sometimes I need 3 minutes to find an app I just used. The constantly changing user interface dramatically improves the battery as well since I change batteries every two hours. You Apple sheep are all fools.
Baaa

...but how many have they "shipped", isn't that the real measure of "smooth" success?

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #72 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Or quarterly and fiscal conference call.

Well this quarter is almost over so next time next month but we'll probably hear some whopping sales numbers before then.
post #73 of 160
The theories of "they sold out so quickly because they didn't have very many in stock" make no sense. Apple generally reports how many they sold over launch weekend, and they wouldn't release a "we're blown away" announcement if they didn't sell a ton.
post #74 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Bee View Post

Bullshit. People come up with this all the time. Apple is in a hurry. iPhone Sales continously were decreasing in the past month due to people waited for the iPhone 5. The Financial Quarter ends September so they must sell each unit they have in Order to meet the goals the market will expect from them.
Apple will release a sneak peek next week and I would estimate 7 million units sold in 3-5 days

Dude... the quote you are angry about was sarcasm. That's what the "/s" at the end meant. He is on the same side as you but you are not seeing it. Time to switch to decaf.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #75 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by macslut View Post

New iPhone is announced.
Haters gonna to hate.
Pre-orders sold out.
Repeat...

My favorite bits are how the original iPhone was such a outright failure for them, yet even in its 6h generation competitors still haven't mastered what Apple did in it's first go. Sure, there are plenty of things that make the original iPhone woefully outdated, like all the performance aspects of it, but that's what Apple had to deal with and they did it swimmingly.

We still have Android phones with laggy UIs despite being many, many times faster. We still have Android phones that look and feel cheap, aren't enjoyable to use, and therefore have little to no resale value as they age.

Worst of all is the update cycle. I think 3 generations is plenty for a phone's primary frameworks and underpinnings but this year they are going 4 generations.

Perhaps the most humorous are the people that are so upset because the iPhone isn't radically different YoY. I honestly don't think they comprehend just how well Apple understand the customer, understand the technology, understood their strengths to make something so incredibly perfect from day one that all they've had to do since is refine and polish their initial concept.

I'd think by now they'd realize that Apple didn't stumble onto their success. Apple didn't accidentally have a successful product. I suppose if you don't have a modicum of understanding of how these products are made you might like at the whole product and claim it's a fluke, but when they do it year after year, across product after product, you wonder why they are still saying the things they say.

post #76 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanSolecki View Post

I love the Apple Fanbois indignant rage at all the "trolls" that have not posted a single (not ONE) comment of the 60+ thus far in this thread. Your paranoia is so pronounced that you're still railing against imagined detractors from launches that took place years ago.

It must be easy to win arguments against... no one?

If there WERE trolls here they would have undoubtedly conceded that the iphone 5 launch would be massive, but that it's a result of "herd instinct" and not a technological "revolution."

And to some extent they would be right, although not about the "herd instinct." They would be right that there wasn't anything revolutionary about the iP5. Like others here, I am excited about it, and I pre-ordered one, but calling it "revolutionary" is pretty ridiculous. First to market Cortex-A15, new but similar look, slightly bigger screen, slightly lighter/thinner, slightly better battery life, reversible dock connector.... every single one of the new features is evolutionary. The fact that there are a lot of them makes it worth buying, but that has nothing to do with "revolutionizing" mobile phones.

You people are obviously drunk AND stupid. Just one couldn't explain this phenomena. And the reason everyone bashes Apple users is no doubt a result of your rabid idiocy.

Thanks for ruining it for everyone, ya jerks, because it is a pretty exciting product, until you make it into an emblem for your pathetic corporate self-identifying.

That's really too bad - I can't believe how cruel people can be. Whoever ruined this great event for you by forcing you to sit and read all those frightful comments should be ashamed of themselves. I do hope it doesn't scar you for life.

post #77 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

when they do it year after year, across product after product, you wonder why they are still saying the things they say.

Who is "they?"

Quote from this thread, please.
post #78 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

That's really too bad - I can't believe how cruel people can be. Whoever ruined this great event for you by forcing you to sit and read all those frightful comments should be ashamed of themselves. I do hope it doesn't scar you for life.

It's about making it an embarrassment to be an Apple user. There's always Linux, I suppose. Android I'm not so sure about, however. Their little "tribalists" are just as vulgar.

That said, I am happy with the product and not going to dodge the association on account of you sordid lot.

It's like the little league dads that get wasted at games and act like douche bags. You don't quit the game because of a few morons, but you certainly wish they weren't there.
Edited by DeanSolecki - 9/14/12 at 7:18pm
post #79 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanSolecki View Post

Quote:

It's about making it an embarrassment to be an Apple user. There's always Linux, I suppose. Android I'm not so sure about, however. Their little "tribalists" are just as vulgar.

That said, I am happy with the product and not going to dodge the association on account of you sordid lot.

It's like the little league dads that gets wasted at games and act like douche bags. You don't quit the game because of a few morons, but you certainly wish they weren't there.

OK - seriously - why are you hanging out here reading threads that annoy and embarrass you so much? Is there something you are not telling us?

post #80 of 160
Quote:

OK - seriously - why are you hanging out here reading threads that annoy and embarrass you so much? Is there something you are not telling us?

Well, he didn't tell us how many Apple products he has nor did he list them yet.

If anyone is offended by the comments in this thread they must not use The Internet often. I have seen so many offensive threads by rabid Android-based smartphone fans it is absurd.

At one forum an Android-based smartphone user began a benign thread the day of the iPhone 5 announcement. Android-based smartphone users immediately began calling people in the thread !f@gs and posting provocative pictures of male models. That type of garbage typifies Android-based smartphone users thinking. They literally can't win with facts so they resort to derogatory and demeaning language.
Edited by MacBook Pro - 9/14/12 at 7:18pm
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple 'completely blown away' by iPhone 5 demand