or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple 'completely blown away' by iPhone 5 demand
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple 'completely blown away' by iPhone 5 demand - Page 3

post #81 of 160
@muppetry

I'd expected to see a lot of people trading experiences regarding their attempts at ordering, to gauge where in the que they'd ended up.

Instead it was this crap.

I guess if you expect anything from the masses you'll be disappointed, but it seems more engaging to share an interest in a product rather than sharing a hatred for imagined detractors of that product. Guess I'm just not as good at "pretend time."

Believe it or not, there are totally normal people that really like Apple products without getting their self-esteem all rapped up in it. Crazy, right?
post #82 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

My favorite bits are how the original iPhone was such a outright failure for them, yet even in its 6h generation competitors still haven't mastered what Apple did in it's first go. Sure, there are plenty of things that make the original iPhone woefully outdated, like all the performance aspects of it, but that's what Apple had to deal with and they did it swimmingly.
We still have Android phones with laggy UIs despite being many, many times faster. We still have Android phones that look and feel cheap, aren't enjoyable to use, and therefore have little to no resale value as they age.
Worst of all is the update cycle. I think 3 generations is plenty for a phone's primary frameworks and underpinnings but this year they are going 4 generations.
Perhaps the most humorous are the people that are so upset because the iPhone isn't radically different YoY. I honestly don't think they comprehend just how well Apple understand the customer, understand the technology, understood their strengths to make something so incredibly perfect from day one that all they've had to do since is refine and polish their initial concept.
I'd think by now they'd realize that Apple didn't stumble onto their success. Apple didn't accidentally have a successful product. I suppose if you don't have a modicum of understanding of how these products are made you might like at the whole product and claim it's a fluke, but when they do it year after year, across product after product, you wonder why they are still saying the things they say.

This is how I see it, the success of the first iPhone was built on the success of the iPod and iTunes. Even though it had its limitations it was head and shoulders above the feature phones at the time and the web browsing was much better than the smartphones out. People needn't carry 2 or more devices anymore. Although it might seem like the iPhone was a overnight success the groundwork for that success was laid out long ago. I really don't see any current manufacturer being able to duplicate that.
In defense of Android the UI has gotten considerably better. Lag is minimal on the newer devices that run 4.x.x. The rumors I've heard is that Google may abandon Android and release a Chrome mobile OS. Could be the reason they purchased MM was to build a device optimized for the OS and maybe then have a device that really compete with the iPhone. Only time will tell but the longer they wait the more people will be entrenched into the Apple ecosystem and less likely to ever switch regardless of how great a device is.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #83 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Well, he didn't tell us how many Apple products he has nor did he list them yet.
If anyone is offended by the comments in this thread they must not use The Internet often. I have seen so many offensive threads by rabid Android-based smartphone fans it is absurd.
At one forum an Android-based smartphone user began a benign thread the day of the iPhone 5 announcement. Android-based smartphone users immediately began calling people in the thread !f@gs and posting provocative pictures of male models. That type of garbage typifies Android-based smartphone users thinking. They literally can't win with facts so they resort to derogatory and demeaning language.

Original iPhone, iPhone 4, iPad 2, 11" Macbook Air, (pre-ordered) iPhone 5.

I don't care much what Android users do, as I'm not one. All I'm saying is it gets embarrassing after a while, seeing all the insanity on Apple forums. Makes you wonder what you're a part of, and whether or not you should be.
post #84 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanSolecki View Post

@muppetry

I'd expected to see a lot of people trading experiences regarding their attempts at ordering, to gauge where in the que they'd ended up.

Instead it was this crap.

I guess if you expect anything from the masses you'll be disappointed, but it seems more engaging to share an interest in a product rather than sharing a hatred for imagined detractors of that product. Guess I'm just not as good at "pretend time."

Believe it or not, there are totally normal people that really like Apple products without getting their self-esteem all rapped up in it. Crazy, right?

 

There are other threads here with those kind of discussions. No need to get so worked up over this one. Don't forget that there have been plenty of troll-infested threads, including the main release announcement thread, so maybe try to cut people some slack, even though this one has been full of pre-emptive strikes.

post #85 of 160
@ Muppetry

I'll take that into consideration.
post #86 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanSolecki View Post

I love the Apple Fanbois indignant rage at all the "trolls" that have not posted a single (not ONE) comment of the 60+ thus far in this thread. Your paranoia is so pronounced that you're still railing against imagined detractors from launches that took place years ago.

It must be easy to win arguments against... no one?

If there WERE trolls here they would have undoubtedly conceded that the iphone 5 launch would be massive, but that it's a result of "herd instinct" and not a technological "revolution."

And to some extent they would be right, although not about the "herd instinct." They would be right that there wasn't anything revolutionary about the iP5. Like others here, I am excited about it, and I pre-ordered one, but calling it "revolutionary" is pretty ridiculous. First to market Cortex-A15, new but similar look, slightly bigger screen, slightly lighter/thinner, slightly better battery life, reversible dock connector.... every single one of the new features is evolutionary. The fact that there are a lot of them makes it worth buying, but that has nothing to do with "revolutionizing" mobile phones.

You people are obviously drunk AND stupid. Just one couldn't explain this phenomena. And the reason everyone bashes Apple users is no doubt a result of your rabid idiocy.

Thanks for ruining it for everyone, ya jerks, because it is a pretty exciting product, until you make it into an emblem for your pathetic corporate self-identifying.

How does it feel to be #1?
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #87 of 160

Reading the newspapers and listening to the TV you'd think we'd all be up in arms over the change of the connector in the iPhone. Just because Apple won't be using the old connector in new products doesn't mean they are stopping sales of all the other existing products; be they iPods, iPad 2s, and iPhone 4 and 4S. I expect the old 30 pin connector to be on iDevices for at least two more years.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #88 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Well this quarter is almost over so next time next month but we'll probably hear some whopping sales numbers before then.

Doesn't Apple's fiscal year end on Sep 30? Oct 1 is a new year.
post #89 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

This is how I see it, the success of the first iPhone was built on the success of the iPod and iTunes. Even though it had its limitations it was head and shoulders above the feature phones at the time and the web browsing was much better than the smartphones out. People needn't carry 2 or more devices anymore. Although it might seem like the iPhone was a overnight success the groundwork for that success was laid out long ago. I really don't see any current manufacturer being able to duplicate that.

Apple has a remarkable history of taking things they excel at and making a completely revolutionary product form those existing parts that no one else had conceived of and/or was able to actually do without following Apple's lead. The iPhone is the keystone example of this.

I would add to your statement and say that it wasn't just the iPod history of making small, portable devices, but also vision and ability to make Mac OS functional on a device with a 412MHz ARM11 (ARMv6) CPU. This was such an impressive feat that 1) RiM didn't believe the OS was that smooth and fast, and 2) that many of the core designs for the iPhone's OS made it's way back into Mac OS.
Quote:
In defense of Android the UI has gotten considerably better. Lag is minimal on the newer devices that run 4.x.x. The rumors I've heard is that Google may abandon Android and release a Chrome mobile OS. Could be the reason they purchased MM was to build a device optimized for the OS and maybe then have a device that really compete with the iPhone. Only time will tell but the longer they wait the more people will be entrenched into the Apple ecosystem and less likely to ever switch regardless of how great a device is.

Google hasn't been a slouch in it's progression but it's still not as good as iOS even when on HW that has higher performance. I say "progression" because it has dramatically improved but it very, very bad out of the gate with each change promising they'll make it even better soon.

I thought I read a rumour they were abandoning Chrome OS for Android on the desktop. I certainly could be flipping those two. I know plenty of people on this forum are against Chrome OS but it's no different than any other OS that uses webcode for the UI and Linux as a backend. WebOS was pretty good and HTML5 was still not complete or refined. I think it has a lot of potential to unseat Windows on the low end if Google plays it right.


PS: Does Android 4.x yet have systemwide cut/copy/paste the way iOS has had it since they introduced it? Last time i used Android there were areas I couldn't get to select text.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #90 of 160
The invention of the /s tag is proof again that Yanks are hopeless at detecting irony. [sarcasm - the use of irony to mock or convey contempt]
post #91 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Apple has a remarkable history of taking things they excel at and making a completely revolutionary product form those existing parts that no one else had conceived of and/or was able to actually do without following Apple's lead. The iPhone is the keystone example of this.
I would add to your statement and say that it wasn't just the iPod history of making small, portable devices, but also vision and ability to make Mac OS functional on a device with a 412MHz ARM11 (ARMv6) CPU. This was such an impressive feat that 1) RiM didn't believe the OS was that smooth and fast, and 2) that many of the core designs for the iPhone's OS made it's way back into Mac OS.
Google hasn't been a slouch in it's progression but it's still not as good as iOS even when on HW that has higher performance. I say "progression" because it has dramatically improved but it very, very bad out of the gate with each change promising they'll make it even better soon.
I thought I read a rumour they were abandoning Chrome OS for Android on the desktop. I certainly could be flipping those two. I know plenty of people on this forum are against Chrome OS but it's no different than any other OS that uses webcode for the UI and Linux as a backend. WebOS was pretty good and HTML5 was still not complete or refined. I think it has a lot of potential to unseat Windows on the low end if Google plays it right.
PS: Does Android 4.x yet have systemwide cut/copy/paste the way iOS has had it since they introduced it? Last time i used Android there were areas I couldn't get to select text.

I realized I left out mentioning the iPhone OS, that was another great feat that made the iPhone successful and still does.

The cut/copy/paste is one of weak points of Android. I actually think they made it worse.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #92 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzos View Post

The invention of the /s tag is proof again that Yanks are hopeless at detecting irony. [sarcasm - the use of irony to mock or convey contempt]

1) Your bigoted comments are neither necessary nor accurate.

2) In a simplified text medium where you tend not to know the author tone is considerably harder to detect. You, as a person, could be better at it than others but it has nothing to do with your nationalistic or bigoted views about the world. I've traveled around the world and people everywhere are intelligent, funny, clever, stupid, foolish, and ignorant. No nation, no culture, no "race" is any less mentally capable than the other.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #93 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

How does it feel to be #1?

Yeah Dick, iPhone user since early 2008, but I'm a HUGE Android fan, just on here to stir up trouble.

/s (for the Americans)
post #94 of 160
Originally Posted by DeanSolecki View Post
…just on here to stir up trouble.

 

Ah, so an admission of trolling? Well, we can't have that. Off to the salt mines with you.

… See how useful a sarcasm tag would have been there? How interesting that you can't tell my intent without it… 

post #95 of 160

I'm gonna take a stab and guess around 10-15% of those sales are for re-sale. People buying the iPhone at launch and selling the device during Christmas at a marked up price. It's a great business. Once I bought an Xbox 360 and held it until the holidays and sold it to someone for $1,200.

 

If Samsung goes through with the lawsuit of the iPhone 5, and they end up getting a ban (unlikely given their track record), the LTE iPhone 5 will be GOLD!

post #96 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ah, so an admission of trolling? Well, we can't have that. Off to the salt mines with you.
… See how useful a sarcasm tag would have been there? How interesting that you can't tell my intent without it… 

The Brits see in all shades of gray, as well as having a Super-American sense for sarcasm. 1wink.gif

Truth be told, I've seen Top Gear, and it makes me doubt there's an Epicurean Garden on that foggy little rock.
post #97 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanSolecki View Post

@muppetry
I'd expected to see a lot of people trading experiences regarding their attempts at ordering, to gauge where in the que they'd ended up.
Instead it was this crap.
I guess if you expect anything from the masses you'll be disappointed, but it seems more engaging to share an interest in a product rather than sharing a hatred for imagined detractors of that product. Guess I'm just not as good at "pretend time."
Believe it or not, there are totally normal people that really like Apple products without getting their self-esteem all rapped up in it. Crazy, right?

Well, let's see.

 

The iPhone 5 launched on my phone network as a preorder for upgrading customers at 5:01pm AEST.

 

At 5:01 I started calling, the call centre was unable to handle the influx with "something has gone wrong", all lines are busy, try again later" etc errors, it took 20 or so attempts before I got put on hold for another hour and a half, finally I got to speak to someone and my 64GB Black is ordered.

 

I am sure my story matches the story of millions of others, across all the outlets around the world involved in the first tranche of preorders.

 

I am really looking forward to seeing how good this phone looks in the hand, from what I've heard the pictures don't really do it justice.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #98 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Well, let's see.

The iPhone 5 launched on my phone network as a preorder for upgrading customers at 5:01pm AEST.

At 5:01 I started calling, the call centre was unable to handle the influx with "something has gone wrong", all lines are busy, try again later" etc errors, it took 20 or so attempts before I got put on hold for another hour and a half, finally I got to speak to someone and my 64GB Black is ordered.

I am sure my story matches the story of millions of others, across all the outlets around the world involved in the first tranche of preorders.

I am really looking forward to seeing how good this phone looks in the hand, from what I've heard the pictures don't really do it justice.

I have noted the "I don't like the design" comments, but I think people are more inclined to dislike "different" at first glance. I've always liked the glass sandwich look, but being able to skip the case... if you're feeling daring... is a welcome prospect.

I half-wonder if Apple didn't drop the bumpers to send the message that the case isn't necessary for this phone, like it was for 4 and 4S.

I think it looks up to par even in the pictures, but I agree, not least of what I'm excited for is the in-person experience of the aesthetics.

In regard to the pre-order, I had to be up early today, so I gave it a half hour of trying and decided to do it first thing in the morning when I couldn't get through. Now I've got an Oct 5 delivery date and regret not staying up all night.

Clearly Apple only made two or three hundred for the first run so they could pretend the launch was a success by virtue of the shipping estimates. 1wink.gif
post #99 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Ah, so an admission of trolling? Well, we can't have that. Off to the salt mines with you.

… See how useful a sarcasm tag would have been there? How interesting that you can't tell my intent without it… 

 

Don't knock the salt mines. It's a career, well the hours are a little rough, but the benefits are cozy, plus we get to wear kilts every other Sunday. Plus, if you are killed in an accident, in lieu of insurance payout, they sell your body to science and send a bouquet to your loved ones.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #100 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Don't knock the salt mines. It's a career, well the hours are a little rough, but the benefits are cozy, plus we get to wear kilts every other Sunday. Plus, if you are killed in an accident, in lieu of insurance payout, they sell your body to science and send a bouquet to your loved ones.

Sounds awesome!

I've got a bit of time to kill before I go stand in line for an iPhone. Is there a line I need to join to get a job in the mines?
Edited by GTR - 9/15/12 at 3:04am
Smoke me a kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.
Reply
Smoke me a kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.
Reply
post #101 of 160
If history is correct, just walk into an Apple store on launch day.
post #102 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

If history is correct, just walk into an Apple store on launch day.

 

LIke this?

 

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57404273-71/woman-breaks-nose-on-apple-store-sues-for-$1m/

 

I jest about the queuing. Tried it once. Didn't like it.

 

Prefer to play 'track the courier' instead.

 

😄

Smoke me a kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.
Reply
Smoke me a kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.
Reply
post #103 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

There fixed it for you. To say that someone could care less indicates that that they have to care at least the smallest bit and I am pretty sure you meant to say that they really could not care less.

Thank you. I was fighting the urge to post the very same response. It irritates me to no end. Almost as bad as "go ahead and."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw
post #104 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanSolecki View Post


<...>I half-wonder if Apple didn't drop the bumpers to send the message that the case isn't necessary for this phone, like it was for 4 and 4S.
<..> 1wink.gif

 

 

Probably, yes. But I also think that the physical contact with an Apple device contributes to its mysterious addictive nature, and is therefore essential (term not pejorative, for me ...)

post #105 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanSolecki View Post

I love the Apple Fanbois indignant rage at all the "trolls" that have not posted a single (not ONE) comment of the 60+ thus far in this thread. Your paranoia is so pronounced that you're still railing against imagined detractors from launches that took place years ago.

Interesting little tirade you posted there. It displayed more about your own behavior patterns and even less that of others.

I'd also love to direct you to the 'Rodent' just a few posts from the article. Must have missed that during your information sweep of the first "60+"...
post #106 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

 

That's really too bad - I can't believe how cruel people can be. Whoever ruined this great event for you by forcing you to sit and read all those frightful comments should be ashamed of themselves. I do hope it doesn't scar you for life.

LOL. 

post #107 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Reading the newspapers and listening to the TV you'd think we'd all be up in arms over the change of the connector in the iPhone. Just because Apple won't be using the old connector in new products doesn't mean they are stopping sales of all the other existing products; be they iPods, iPad 2s, and iPhone 4 and 4S. I expect the old 30 pin connector to be on iDevices for at least two more years.

The people affected can buy a new cable or new adapter. When I upgrade, I'll have to buy 2 new cables. It's just not that big a deal, but you should certainly consider it when evaluating the upgrade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzos View Post

The invention of the /s tag is proof again that Yanks are hopeless at detecting irony. [sarcasm - the use of irony to mock or convey contempt]

And your comment is proof again that brits don't have any idea of the proper use of the English language (linguists agree that American English is much closer to 16th Century English than the bastardized English you use - and that's not even considering the absolute castration of the language in New Castle).

Context is important. If you read these threads, it is quite common for someone to sarcastically post a comment of what they expect the other side to say. If you know the poster, you know that they're being sarcastic, but not everyone knows all the regulars - and first time posters don't have any history to fall back on. The use of some tag to show sarcasm is necessary in written language.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

I'm gonna take a stab and guess around 10-15% of those sales are for re-sale. People buying the iPhone at launch and selling the device during Christmas at a marked up price. It's a great business. Once I bought an Xbox 360 and held it until the holidays and sold it to someone for $1,200.

If Samsung goes through with the lawsuit of the iPhone 5, and they end up getting a ban (unlikely given their track record), the LTE iPhone 5 will be GOLD!

It is extremely unlikely that Samsung will get a ban. Even with some slight chance of it, I don't believe that the number being purchased for resale is anywhere near 10-15%. You do see a few of them on eBay for $1200 or so, but not that many. And anyone expecting to get a much higher price by Christmas is kidding themselves. Apple will be able to meet demand (or, at least, come very close to it) by Christmas, so you'll be able to walk into a store and pay list price by then. Prices on eBay will actually be BELOW list price by Christmas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanSolecki View Post

@muppetry
I'd expected to see a lot of people trading experiences regarding their attempts at ordering, to gauge where in the que they'd ended up.
Instead it was this crap.
I guess if you expect anything from the masses you'll be disappointed, but it seems more engaging to share an interest in a product rather than sharing a hatred for imagined detractors of that product. Guess I'm just not as good at "pretend time."
Believe it or not, there are totally normal people that really like Apple products without getting their self-esteem all rapped up in it. Crazy, right?

Yes, it's crazy that you come to a forum where Apple fans congregate and criticize them for being Apple fans.

More importantly, you're completely ignoring context. There's very little in this (or any thread) that hasn't been repeated 1,000 times in other threads. When you see a sarcastic comment in this thread, it is an indication that the trolls keep making the same silly comments over and over and over in every thread they contaminate. The fact that they haven't yet entered this thread doesn't change that.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #108 of 160
Originally Posted by Vadania View Post
Interesting little tirade you posted there. It displayed more about your own behavior patterns and even less that of others.
I'd also love to direct you to the 'Rodent' just a few posts from the article. Must have missed that during your information sweep of the first "60+"...

 

Trolls tend to be blind to other trolls' trolling unless their context would benefit from quoting, thumbing up, and or other corroboration. lol.gif

post #109 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post
Is there a line I need to join to get a job in the mines?

I am sure Foxconn could arrange it for you!

 

Just making a bad joke...... everybody relax.......

post #110 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzos View Post

The invention of the /s tag is proof again that Yanks are hopeless at detecting irony. [sarcasm - the use of irony to mock or convey contempt]

And your comment is proof again that brits don't have any idea of the proper use of the English language (linguists agree that American English is much closer to 16th Century English than the bastardized English you use - and that's not even considering the absolute castration of the language in New Castle).

Context is important. If you read these threads, it is quite common for someone to sarcastically post a comment of what they expect the other side to say. If you know the poster, you know that they're being sarcastic, but not everyone knows all the regulars - and first time posters don't have any history to fall back on. The use of some tag to show sarcasm is necessary in written language.

 

Quite true about the historical development of English, although being able to detect irony and proper use of language are not quite the same thing, with neither being a prerequisite for the other.

 

More interesting is the assumption that fidelity to old English is good. If American science were more like 16th Century English science, would that be good or bad? And Geordie (I assume you meant Newcastle) is no more unintelligible than some regional US dialects.

post #111 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Sounds awesome!
I've got a bit of time to kill before I go stand in line for an iPhone. Is there a line I need to join to get a job in the mines?

No lines. No wait. Not even a sign up sheet.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #112 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

More interesting is the assumption that fidelity to old English is good. If American science were more like 16th Century English science, would that be good or bad?

That gets my vote for silly comparison of the week.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #113 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

More interesting is the assumption that fidelity to old English is good. If American science were more like 16th Century English science, would that be good or bad?

That gets my vote for silly comparison of the week.

 

Thank you. I agree the analogy is imperfect, but it makes the point, and the question regarding the assumption still stands.

post #114 of 160
I am still not impressed. First, because it's underwhelming in my view from a hardware standpoint. No increase in storage capacity. No water resistance. No push for a bigger display (4.3 inch with the same resolution and still keeping it at above 300ppi for the Retina claims would have been more legible and more finger-friendly than what they chose). Not enough battery life (apparently shaving off two millimeters instead of one is more important than adding four hours of battery life). Second because iOS still is lacking with notifications and customizability compared to Android. And third (though Android is guilty of this too), because it is so obviously overpriced. It costs less than $200 to manufacture a smartphone. But the hysteria is still so great, and the manufacturer-driven, phone company-supported BS about "subsidies" so effective, on both the Apple and Android side of the coin, that people will effectively pay, not the typical 40 percent markup on electronics ($300 to $350 after allowing for shipping and marketing costs), but $550 to $700 for an Android and $650 to $850 for an iPhone.

I look forward to the day when commodity pricing takes hold and the hysteria and me-too faddism of smartphones abate.
post #115 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoeditor View Post

I am still not impressed. First, because it's underwhelming in my view from a hardware standpoint. No increase in storage capacity. No water resistance. No push for a bigger display (4.3 inch with the same resolution and still keeping it at above 300ppi for the Retina claims would have been more legible and more finger-friendly than what they chose). Not enough battery life (apparently shaving off two millimeters instead of one is more important than adding four hours of battery life). Second because iOS still is lacking with notifications and customizability compared to Android. And third (though Android is guilty of this too), because it is so obviously overpriced. It costs less than $200 to manufacture a smartphone. But the hysteria is still so great, and the manufacturer-driven, phone company-supported BS about "subsidies" so effective, on both the Apple and Android side of the coin, that people will effectively pay, not the typical 40 percent markup on electronics ($300 to $350 after allowing for shipping and marketing costs), but $550 to $700 for an Android and $650 to $850 for an iPhone.
I look forward to the day when commodity pricing takes hold and the hysteria and me-too faddism of smartphones abate.

It doesn't slice and dice, either. Nor will it wax your car or cook your dinner.

The answer is simple. If you don't want one, don't buy one. Apple has offered what they think is the best balance of technology and cost available at this time. If a different phone meets your needs better, then buy it. But stop pretending that you know more about mobile phone development than Apple.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #116 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoeditor View Post

I am still not impressed. First, because it's underwhelming in my view from a hardware standpoint. No increase in storage capacity. No water resistance. No push for a bigger display (4.3 inch with the same resolution and still keeping it at above 300ppi for the Retina claims would have been more legible and more finger-friendly than what they chose). Not enough battery life (apparently shaving off two millimeters instead of one is more important than adding four hours of battery life). Second because iOS still is lacking with notifications and customizability compared to Android. And third (though Android is guilty of this too), because it is so obviously overpriced. It costs less than $200 to manufacture a smartphone. But the hysteria is still so great, and the manufacturer-driven, phone company-supported BS about "subsidies" so effective, on both the Apple and Android side of the coin, that people will effectively pay, not the typical 40 percent markup on electronics ($300 to $350 after allowing for shipping and marketing costs), but $550 to $700 for an Android and $650 to $850 for an iPhone.
I look forward to the day when commodity pricing takes hold and the hysteria and me-too faddism of smartphones abate.

Your entire view of the iPhone is wrong. You think the goal should be to keep it at 300 PPI or more pixels regardless of how that affects the apps, how it affects the production of displays they have no experience with, how that would affect the users and devs by decreasing the PPI, increasing the size of elements and making the device less usable by going with some display size value that you've deemed Apple should use because many Android-based devices are using it.

You also have absolutely no idea how much it costs to manufacturer a smartphone and yet you claim they all cost less than $200. To even make such a claim shows that you don't have a clue how any of the process works. Did you even consider any of the investment costs that went into this? Did you not see Apple has 725 distinct glass pieces to make sure you get the best fit and finish when placed around the camera components? How much do you think it cost to create, test and perfect that setup? Nothing, obviously, because you're only considering a cost from iSuppli without any consideration for anything other than some sourced HW.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #117 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Sounds awesome!
I've got a bit of time to kill before I go stand in line for an iPhone. Is there a line I need to join to get a job in the mines?

No lines. No wait. Not even a sign up sheet.

 

Sounds like an MS or Sammy Store.

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #118 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoeditor View Post

I am still not impressed. First, because it's underwhelming in my view from a hardware standpoint. No increase in storage capacity. No water resistance. No push for a bigger display (4.3 inch with the same resolution and still keeping it at above 300ppi for the Retina claims would have been more legible and more finger-friendly than what they chose). Not enough battery life (apparently shaving off two millimeters instead of one is more important than adding four hours of battery life). Second because iOS still is lacking with notifications and customizability compared to Android. And third (though Android is guilty of this too), because it is so obviously overpriced. It costs less than $200 to manufacture a smartphone. But the hysteria is still so great, and the manufacturer-driven, phone company-supported BS about "subsidies" so effective, on both the Apple and Android side of the coin, that people will effectively pay, not the typical 40 percent markup on electronics ($300 to $350 after allowing for shipping and marketing costs), but $550 to $700 for an Android and $650 to $850 for an iPhone.
I look forward to the day when commodity pricing takes hold and the hysteria and me-too faddism of smartphones abate.

 

 

When you are in such a business, you have to have a long term roadmap, whereby you plan in advance (with reasonable assumptions concerning technological advances) what improvements you will include in your product in every year release (in the Apple model). The basic principle is of course that you should not give everything at once.

 

While I agree with you that Apple could probably have easily implemented water resistance (I am waiting for the demo where they will drop the iPhone into water ...), it is not true to pretend that the model presented is not a significant improvement on many points, and the proof will be given by the sales figures ... justifying the whole strategy ... as usual ....

post #119 of 160
Maybe I got 'lucky'... I ordered my white iPhone 5 32GB late on Friday afternoon here in the UK from Apple's website. At the time the 'shipping date' was 2-3 weeks, then 2, then 'October' on my order. I got an email this afternoon to say the phone will be arriving on the 21st.
 
Perhaps they can't count? Oh well, my wife will be upset I've been spending again, sooner than I thought ;)
post #120 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisburgess View Post

Maybe I got 'lucky'... I ordered my white iPhone 5 32GB late on Friday afternoon here in the UK from Apple's website. At the time the 'shipping date' was 2-3 weeks, then 2, then 'October' on my order. I got an email this afternoon to say the phone will be arriving on the 21st.
 
Perhaps they can't count? Oh well, my wife will be upset I've been spending again, sooner than I thought 1wink.gif

That's happened before. I could have ordered it for 2 weeks and had a decent chance it would have shown up on the 21st or at least under 2 weeks. I opted to buy it in store since my store isn't usually swamped. I hope I made the right decision because that positional good is going to kill me.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple 'completely blown away' by iPhone 5 demand