or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 5 arrival dates improve for some Apple customers

iPhone 5 arrival dates improve for some Apple customers

post #1 of 98
Some early iPhone 5 orders may ship sooner than was originally advertised, based on an e-mail sent out by Apple.

One AppleInsider reader received a note from Apple letting them know that their iPhone 5 will arrive sooner than expected. When the order was originally placed Friday morning, this person was quoted an arrival date of two weeks.

"We have some good news concerning your recent iPhone 5 purchase," the e-mail from the Apple Store reads. We expect it to be delivered to you on the first day of iPhone 5 availability ??Friday, September 21. The delivery date we previously sent you was not accurate."

Order

Just over an hour after preorders of the iPhone 5 began early Friday morning, Apple's online store began quoting customers an estimated shipping time of two weeks. Apple responded and said officials were "completely blown away" by demand for the iPhone 5.

As of Saturday afternoon, Apple's online store indicates that all iPhone 5 models are available to ship in two to three weeks. The device will become publicly available next Friday, Sept. 21.

Apple's carrier partners are also selling the iPhone 5 at launch, but AT&T and Verizon completely sold out of their launch-day inventory on Friday as well.

Those who missed out on preordering an iPhone 5 for launch can still attempt to buy Apple's latest handset at a brick-and-mortar store for Friday's launch. Apple's own retail stores will begin selling the iPhone 5 at 8 a.m. local time, while carriers and retail partners such as Walmart, Radio Shack and Best Buy will have inventory.
post #2 of 98
Choose one:

1. What's wrong with Apple? Can't they even get a date right?

2. Apple was lying about availability.

3. Must be that they got so many orders cancelled that they have more stock available.

4. They only want people to THINK they're in demand, but they're really not.

5. Who wants an iPhone 5, anyway? They're only a minor spec bump.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #3 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Choose one:
1. What's wrong with Apple? Can't they even get a date right?
2. Apple was lying about availability.
3. Must be that they got so many orders cancelled that they have more stock available.
4. They only want people to THINK they're in demand, but they're really not.
5. Who wants an iPhone 5, anyway? They're only a minor spec bump.

6. A class action should be initiated for incorrect information to the consumer

7. I told you, Apple is doomed

8. Apple stock will accordingly drop

post #4 of 98
Target still has preorders available for pickup on the 21st.
post #5 of 98
Hopefully people with many positive posts over many years about Apple on AI get preferential treatment and get deliveries way ahead of other people.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #6 of 98
Quote:

thanks to an at&t screwup, my order got cancelled and i got shoved to the back of the line. i had ordered phones for two lines on my family plan and one of the orders was cancelled this morning. i was told by the apple support rep that at&t was having issues with upgrades to multiple lines on the same account. randall stephenson should hand deliver that phone to me on friday morning.
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

post #7 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Hopefully people with many positive posts over many years about Apple on AI get preferential treatment and get deliveries way ahead of other people.

Yeah... and a 50% discount too  :)   LOL!

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
post #8 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

Quote:

thanks to an at&t screwup, my order got cancelled and i got shoved to the back of the line. i had ordered phones for two lines on my family plan and one of the orders was cancelled this morning. i was told by the apple support rep that at&t was having issues with upgrades to multiple lines on the same account. randall stephenson should hand deliver that phone to me on friday morning.

I ordered 3 iPhones:  a 4S and 2 5s on our ATT family plan.  The last order was placed at 3:01 PST (I fell asleep).  

The 4S has shipped from Pennsylvania to arrive on the 21st.  The 2 5s show "Processing"  "Available to ship:  2 weeks  Delivers  Oct 5 via Standard Shipping"

You might try calling ATT and explain the situation -- they might offer an in-store pickup at an earlier date.

I hate the "pass-the-buck" ordering process  through the Apple Online Store -- and was fully prepared to buy unlocked iP5s... so, of course they didn't offer unlocked iP5s at this time.

post #9 of 98
Baring any goofs, I should have my 64GB Black Thursday night, if the past holds true. 2008 and 2010 they were delivered the day before. I had no problem ordering on the iPhone app for the Apple store. Order was started at 1159 and completed by 0000.
post #10 of 98

maybe Tallest Skil tried to order an iPhone 6 which Apple recognized later and canceled it so that changed to the earlier shipping date for another customer :)

post #11 of 98
Originally Posted by mac-user View Post
maybe Tallest Skil tried to order an iPhone 6 which Apple recognized later and canceled it so that changed to the earlier shipping date for another customer :)

I want to laugh at the joke here, but I'm having trouble understanding it. lol.gif

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #12 of 98
If anyone here has a date that was changed to the 21st from a later date would you please post the time you ordered? I'm curious to see if we can establish a feasible cut off point. I tried to order at 5am PT and was told the 28th.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #13 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If anyone here has a date that was changed to the 21st from a later date would you please post the time you ordered? I'm curious to see if we can establish a feasible cut off point. I tried to order at 5am PT and was told the 28th.

I'm still at the 28th and ordered it at 4:15am PT

64gb/ white/ AT&T
Edited by johnnyb0731 - 9/15/12 at 2:13pm
post #14 of 98

OFF:

why does the Report button appear on my own post?

post #15 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Yeah... and a 50% discount too  1smile.gif   LOL!

Agreed.

BTW ... Plato said 'dumber'?
post #16 of 98

I had the same issue. Ordered at 12:00. So happy... Until today, I received the same email as you. A long unhelpful conversation with an AT&T rep later, I replied to the email with the "new" order number. Hopefully that puts me back to the front of the line.

post #17 of 98
Ugh. I'm "two weeks/Oct. 5" and ordered at 7:20 PST, 10:20 EST. I hate you guys. Still hoping it'll ship before then, but not expecting launch day.

16GB white, AT&T
Edited by DeanSolecki - 9/15/12 at 1:35pm
post #18 of 98
Can you provide some more detail about your order? Color of phone, carrier, size of phone, one article said that DC still having availability late Friday morning, and when you ordered. I think that would account for most of the variables that exist for the iPhone.
post #19 of 98
Quote:

OFF:

Its the internet equivalent of self-flagellation.  Sometimes you just need to punish yourself.  Just click it and report yourself - "sometimes I'm a real ass!"  Wow, I feel so much better now!

Edited by diplication - 9/15/12 at 1:49pm

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

post #20 of 98

I ordered mine today at a Verizon store. Will have it one OCT 5th. w00t...

I also got a $30 discount for being a long time customer. Before anyone starts dissing Verizon, it's the only carrier that has good coverage in Nebraska.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #21 of 98
Quote:

OFF:

You are allowed to ban yourself... it's a feature, not a bug.

post #22 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

[...]

You might try calling ATT and explain the situation -- they might offer an in-store pickup at an earlier date.

I hate the "pass-the-buck" ordering process  through the Apple Online Store -- and was fully prepared to buy unlocked iP5s... so, of course they didn't offer unlocked iP5s at this time.

thanks for empathizing ;-) i wanted to buy the unlocked 5s as well.

i called apple first about the problem and, as expected, they couldn't tell me much. but they did assure me that at&t would be able to see my orders via the apple order id (which i thought odd). of course, at&t could not see the order. when i explained the situation to at&t there was zero they would/could do about it, although they did correct whatever the original issue was that caused the problem. i called apple again and the best they could do was a "maybe" as far as getting the phone out on the original schedule. (and all that means is that the rep really didn't have any idea and was just trying to make me feel better.)

steve/tim/ive have said they wouldn't do something unless they could do it better. buy at&t for cryin' out loud ... and make it better. barring that, c'mon tmo, get yer act together.

post #23 of 98

I was going to get an iPhone 5 to replace my iPhone 4s, but i'm in the UK & the LTE side will not work on my network/s of choice when they start, so I have decided to hold off on upgrading for now. :(

On the bright site at least my 4s is not even a year old, & it saves me from deciding on which colour scheme to go for. I will be able to see them both in person & decide which to go with should I eventually upgrade this year or next year, before next years model comes out. If I do wait for the next 2013 model, hopefully it will work on most our UK networks.

Why the people responsible seem to have chosen to regionalise the 4G/LTE network frequencies this time round, similar to DVD & Blu-ray regions, after more or less getting it right with the older 2G & 3G GSM systems, excluding the CDMA of course, is beyond me. :/

Edited by TogetherWeStand - 9/15/12 at 2:56pm
post #24 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by TogetherWeStand View Post

<...>

Why the people responsible seem to have chosen to regionalise the 4G/LTE network frequencies this time round, similar to DVD & Blu-ray regions, after more or less getting it right with the older 2G & 3G GSM systems, excluding the CDMA of course, is beyond me. :/

The frequency allocation is under the responsibility of a "local" authority. It has no intention, I guess, to abandon this for a supranational body (in no country at all). As you know, at least in Europe (I do not know how it works in the US or elsewhere), this is also a good way for government to make money (which is interesting, these days ...). Apple tries to slalom across this jungle, and issues a worldwide product (3 different models, in fact, it seems, in the case of iPhone5) which provide(s) what Apple thinks is the best compromise.

Given this, some of the frequencies allocated by a national body may be more valuable than others (given the weight of Apple on this market, everybody wants the range supported by Apple products .. the others are de facto of very little interest (in France, for example, operators are now lobbying to get a 4G 1800 Mhz frequency supported by the iPhone5...)

Most people also forget that the frequency is one thing, but the width of the frequency range (which is what is allocated, in fact) also matters, because it is directly correlated to the available Mbps speed for the user (and given the fact that the more a government can sell frequency ranges, the more money it makes ... you see what I mean.

Edited by umrk_lab - 9/15/12 at 3:26pm
post #25 of 98

I ordered two white AT&T 32 GB phones at 5:30 am ET and got the "two weeks / Oct 5" confirm.

Of course, Oct 5 is THREE weeks, so not sure WTF apple is talking about regarding two weeks.

post #26 of 98

My confirmation email arrived at 3:53 AM EST and my order still shows 2 weeks shipping for Oct 5 delivery. I'm hoping to be near the top of the list to get my deliver date moved forward. 

post #27 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Quote:

OFF:

You are allowed to ban yourself... it's a feature, not a bug.

It's a privilege, not a feature...

post #28 of 98
It ships in two weeks on the 28th and is delivered on the 5th which is five business days after shipping
post #29 of 98

Just to add to the data pile, my daughter ordered a 32GB/white at 6PM Friday from Sprint's site, and their message was,

"We will do everything humanly possible to have your phone reach you on 9/21/12".

So whaddaya think?  November?

I know its a bit off-point as not AT&T, but...

post #30 of 98

Ordered at 4:05 am and have a deliver date of Oct 5th. Just over and hour after presage kicks off and I gotta wait two + weeks.

post #31 of 98

Thanks.

Any chance of changing to overnight shipping at this point?  Happy to pay the fee to get them faster.

post #32 of 98

When I ordered at 3:00 AM CDT on Sept 14th from Apple for a 16GB AT&T iPhone 5 I got the message that they had an iPhone reserved for me and that I would receive an email later allowing me to complete the purchase process. When I ordered it still said delivery by Sept 21 so I was happy. Then I get the email from Apple saying I can complete my order through their website right at 4:01 AM CDT and it stated "To maintain the delivery priority of your iPhone order, you will need to complete your purchase by Saturday, September 15, 5:00PM PDT. If you do not complete your purchase by that time, your reservation will be canceled."

I completed my purchase and received my order confirmation at 5:53 AM CDT and it quoted me a 2 week delivery. I am hoping that it messed up and just had that because that is what it was quoting for people currently ordering. I guess I'll find out whenever my phone officially ships.

post #33 of 98

I ordered at 4:16am EST.  When I ordered, delivery date said Sept 21.  Since then, it has been revised to Oct 5.

post #34 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I ordered mine today at a Verizon store. Will have it one OCT 5th. w00t...

I also got a $30 discount for being a long time customer. Before anyone starts dissing Verizon, it's the only carrier that has good coverage in Nebraska.

How long have you been with Verizon my daughter can not get it until October 8th and I have been with them over 10 years and wonder if she can get the discount?

Thanks for any help

Mike

post #35 of 98

I ordered from Apple a White 64 GB AT&T at 4:00 a.m. Pacific Time and it says deliver Oct 5.

It is so frickin' hot here in SoCal 103º so I went to the Apple Store to hang out in the A/C. They were just stocking the new Ear Pods. Played around with the Mac Air and the Retina. Can't decide which I should buy. Leaning towards the Retina.

BTW @Soli I ordered the cheeseburger with crumbled Blue Cheese at Ruby's for lunch following your suggestion. Tasty!

Edited by mstone - 9/15/12 at 4:13pm

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #36 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanSolecki View Post

Ugh. I'm "two weeks/Oct. 5" and ordered at 7:20 PST, 10:20 EST. I hate you guys. Still hoping it'll ship before then, but not expecting launch day.
16GB white, AT&T

Don't feel too bad - I ordered a white 32GB at 6:30 AM EST, and I'm at Oct 5th too
post #37 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenwaves View Post

Don't feel too bad - I ordered a white 32GB at 6:30 AM EST, and I'm at Oct 5th too

My guess is Apple left some wiggle room in their estimates, telling a lot of people they would get it later than was likely, but I think I'm far enough back on the que that the Oct 5th delivery date could potentially stand. Guess we'll see. 1hmm.gif
post #38 of 98

I ordered white iPhone 5 64gb from the apple store and got my order confirm email at 3:28am CST.  Still saying Oct 5th for me.

post #39 of 98
I don't order mine until Friday evening. AT
post #40 of 98
Originally Posted by Galley View Post
I don't order mine until Friday evening. AT

AHA! AGAIN! THERE IT IS AGAIN!

Galley, without typing "AT&T", can you tell us what the rest of your post was going to say? 

Also, if you would, tell us what device you're using to post, and from where you posted this: either the forums proper (forums.appleinsider.com) or the main site comment section (appleinsider.com). Thanks!

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 5 arrival dates improve for some Apple customers