or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung takes aim at iPhone 5 in new print ad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung takes aim at iPhone 5 in new print ad

post #1 of 262
Thread Starter 
A Samsung ad revealed on Saturday pits Apple's new iPhone 5 directly against the Galaxy S III, listing the two handsets' features side-by-side in what appears to be a highly subjective comparison.

Titled "It doesn't take a genius," Samsung's new print ad obviously references Apple's widely-panned TV spots and customer support representatives, called "Geniuses." Ironically, Samsung's ad also serves to point out that the company does not offer the same level of hands-on customer care.

The main thrust of the advertisement is to illustrate the huge amount of features the Galaxy S III has over the iPhone 5, with the extremely long list of trademarked smartphone functions doubling those found on Apple's new device. Going further, most of the tech specs Samsung chose to attribute to the iPhone are trumped by its own unit.

Things get a bit tongue-in-cheek when Apple's new Lightning connector is mentioned, of course as a negative, with Samsung describing the part as "A totally different plug" versus the S III's "Standard micro USB plug.

Galaxy S III Ad


While not unexpected, the ad fails to mention the numerous enhancements coming with iOS 6, Apple's mobile operating system that some say gives the company an edge over other smartphone makers because it can tailor the software and hardware in-house. The fact that Samsung's handset uses a year-old version of Android was not mentioned.

Samsung's ad is scheduled to go to press on Sunday, though it is not clear what publications in which it will be running.
post #2 of 262
Turn over to mute

 

So if the gyroscope goes wonky in your pocket, you miss a call from your wife telling you she loves you and that she won't be home for dinner because she's in the hospital on life support.


Direct call

 

Because those operators can be unfriendly and unhelpful! And have stereotypically nasal voices. Step into the future and directly call the person on the other end!


Palm Touch Mute Pause

 

"Symptoms of PTMP include drowsiness, lethargy, insomnia, irritability, itchy genitals, and bed wetting."


Smart Stay

 

"Now… stay… sta~y… goo~d phone, goo—no, no~…"


Picture in picture

 

OH! So THAT'S what they mean when they say "true multitasking"! They can actually see two applications at once!

 

And finally, 


Tilt to zoom

 

Because Apple has the patent on the logical way to zoom.

post #3 of 262

This ad is insulting even to those who would purchase a Galaxy III.

 

Apple's decision to not only stay at the same width but to correctly and factually state that it is the correct size for a phone. 

 

The physical dimensions of the iPhone will prove to be a modern design classic. They got it spot on. 

 

As Apple continues to take more control over their hardware components I expect future iPhones and Apple products to pull away even quicker from the pack.

post #4 of 262

That Galaxy thingie is too damn big.  It's more like one of those phablets than a phone.  I'd take the iPhone 5 for its dimensions alone.

post #5 of 262
Love the hate.
post #6 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And finally, 

 

Because Apple has the patent on the logical way to zoom.

 

Don't you have some adapters to be ordering? lol.gif

post #7 of 262

So then, to design the Sammie it takes...what?

 

A dolt?

A moron?

A dingleberry???

 

A copycat?

post #8 of 262
Samsung just keeps on being obnoxious. (I'm not saying the iPhone 5 is the end-all be-all phone, but this ad is definitely deceptive.)

What I cannot tell is how many buyers this will fool.
post #9 of 262
Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post
As Apple continues to take more control over their hardware components I expect future iPhones and Apple products to pull away even quicker from the pack.

 

As the PowerPC was faster than its Megahertz Myth-fueled X86 competitors, Apple's homebrew chips will be work far, FAR better than anything else on the market, because Apple will be controlling the software… and TRULY controlling the hardware. Down to the architecture.

post #10 of 262
Marketing rule 101: of you're not Coke, you compare yourself to Coke.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #11 of 262
Originally Posted by Shidell View Post
Don't you have some adapters to be ordering? lol.gif

 

Don't you have some perspective to be shoveling?

 

 

Click for full size. Because I know that the trolls won't let it stand when I say there are 18 adapters there while the link says "17".

post #12 of 262

Except none of Samsung's "extras" actually matter. 

 

Where the rubber meets the road:

 

 

 

 

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57398726-37/iphone-again-scores-top-spot-at-customer-satisfaction/

 
Most recent:
 

 

 

 

 

http://mashable.com/2011/09/09/apple-customer-satisfaction-survey/

 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/briancaulfield/2011/03/18/apples-iphone-tops-jd-power-customer-satisfaction-survey-again/

 

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/08/apple-again-tops-j-d-power-rankings-of-smartphone-consumer-satisfaction/

 

http://www.tuaw.com/2009/10/09/j-d-power-smartphone-study-ranks-iphone-1-in-customer-satisfac/

 

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2008/11/iphone-wins-top-business-smartphone-satisfaction-marks/

 

 

 

 

 

 

ScreenShot2012-05-28at75101PM.jpg

 

 

 

This one's interesting:

 

http://www.loopinsight.com/2012/01/09/iphone-satisfaction-at-75-closest-competitor-at-47/

 

 

 

 

Apple has consistenly topped rankings of this kind since the first or second year into the iPhone's release. 

 

EDIT: Correction, *first* year.

 

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/orchant/iphone-satisfaction-numbers-are-unreal/523

 

http://seekingalpha.com/article/44709-early-iphone-adopters-extremely-satisfied

 

 

No wonder Apple commands over 30% of the US market, with at most 2-3 phones, *all under the same roof.* NO OEMs, NO UNIVERSAL-LICENSING. 

 

I won't even mention satisfaction rates for iPads, iPods and Macs. It's all the same story across the board. For years now. 

post #13 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because those operators can be unfriendly and unhelpful! And have stereotypically nasal voices. Step into the future and directly call the person on the other end!

 

Haha, nice. Actually out of all Samsung's gimmicks Direct Call is the only one useful for me. If you're in messaging thread, and texting is no longer useful, just put the phone to your and it calls them automatically. On topic, this ad seems rather desperate and fails at multiple levels. 

 

EDIT: There should be a rule about not spamming the same long post nearly every time you post something.(Quadra)

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
post #14 of 262
"Attention! Attention! We have an iPhone 5 announcement event! Damage control teams to your stations! Prepare to deploy the specs list!"

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #15 of 262

Samdung can list all the components, elements, and contents of manure, but it's STILL manure.

post #16 of 262

They are only showing a small section of the iPhone and with the screen off. I guess they don't want people to compare the Retina Display vs their HD screen. Its funny how the GS III has more visible phone showing and the iPhone is cropped more.  

post #17 of 262
Originally Posted by macminiwii View Post
They are only showing a small section of the iPhone and with the screen off.

 

Perhaps they can't show iOS in their ads.

 

I notice also that they do not credit the terms iOS, iPhone, or Siri to Apple in the fine print. Is that legal?

post #18 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

 

 

 

EDIT: There should be a rule about not spamming the same long post nearly every time you post something.(Quadra)

 

Then apply the same rule to the trolls anti-Apple spamming the forum with the same misinformation and outright lies (on an Apple forum, no less.) 

 

If that happens, I'm cool with it.

 

Until then, that's tough. What I post bears repeating. Because it's *reality*, not anecdotal bullshit. 

post #19 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

 

Don't you have some adapters to be ordering? lol.gif

Ahem is that a plate you are holding to your face? lol.gif

post #20 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Perhaps they can't show iOS in their ads.

 

I notice also that they do not credit the terms iOS, iPhone, or Siri to Apple in the fine print. Is that legal?

 

It's Samsung doing it. WTF do they care about legality?

post #21 of 262
Of course they dond't , they use a crappy PenTile screen.
post #22 of 262
Samsung:

Made with Cheap Plastic
Little Resale value
Don't hold your breathe for Updates

Apple:

Aluminum and Glass
Will probably get updates for the next three to four years
Airplay
iCloud
post #23 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Perhaps they can't show iOS in their ads.

 

I notice also that they do not credit the terms iOS, iPhone, or Siri to Apple in the fine print. Is that legal?

That may be true. I think they could have shown the lock screen or put a Flower or any picture on the screen. You know they could have used the white iPhone to compare with.

post #24 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by macminiwii View Post

They are only showing a small section of the iPhone and with the screen off. I guess they don't want people to compare the Retina Display vs their HD screen. Its funny how the GS III has more visible phone showing and the iPhone is cropped more.  

When i first saw this post, i said "damn that iPhone looks so bad ass stealthy"  

post #25 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by macminiwii View Post

They are only showing a small section of the iPhone and with the screen off. I guess they don't want people to compare the Retina Display vs their HD screen. Its funny how the GS III has more visible phone showing and the iPhone is cropped more.  

Not surprising that it's cropped. The iPhone screen on showing Springboard would only remind people of the compelling user experience Apple has pioneered, in addition to the beautiful high color saturation retina display. Samsung's ad had managed to reduce the iPhone 5 into a shopping list of components. So if you're in the market for a big list components, Samsung has you covered. If you're in the market for The iPhone Experience, Samsung can't deliver. It's probably why the screen on the iPhone is off. Also, where would their marketing people get a working iPhone 5 that is fully assembled? It's either a pre-announcement prop, a photoshop of something official, or (outside chance) the real thing.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #26 of 262
Originally Posted by macminiwii View Post
That may be true. I think they could have shown the lock screen or put a Flower or any picture on the screen. You know they could have used the white iPhone to compare with.

 

Ah, but by making their phone white and the competitor's black, theirs pops out of the advertisement more and catches attention.

 

… That's the only intelligent thing marketing-wise they seem to have done here.

post #27 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I notice also that they do not credit the terms iOS, iPhone, or Siri to Apple in the fine print. Is that legal?

Somehow, I doubt that would stop them.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #28 of 262
I love how they take the one feature that more or less determines a majority of what you experience with the phone (that is, the OS) as bury it as far down the list as possible.

You could maybe sell me on that phone if not for the presence of Android. Been there, done that. Never again.
post #29 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

I notice also that they do not credit the terms iOS, iPhone, or Siri to Apple in the fine print. Is that legal?

 

Samsung: "I will make it legal."

post #30 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

Samsung just keeps on being obnoxious. (I'm not saying the iPhone 5 is the end-all be-all phone, but this ad is definitely deceptive.)
What I cannot tell is how many buyers this will fool.

That's the standard Android nonsense. They are incapable of discussing actual benefits or quality, so they simply resort to a list of specs. For example, by all reports, the Apple screen is significantly better than the Samsung one - but they use marketing hype to make it sound like the Samsung screen is better. Similarly, they act like their 2 GB of RAM is better than Apple's 1 GB - yet in the past, Apple's phones have regularly outperformed phones even with better specs.

They still don't get it. It's not about a list of features. It's about quality, the ecosystem, and what you can do with the phone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Perhaps they can't show iOS in their ads.

Actually, you can - under at least some circumstances. You can photograph any item that is available to the public. The problem is that this phone is not available to the public yet, so they could only show a simulated picture. Even that is OK under some circumstances. They clearly didn't want to do it - because the intent of the ad is to try to belittle Apple's phone. Apparently, they decided that the only way their phone was better was if the Apple phone was turned off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I notice also that they do not credit the terms iOS, iPhone, or Siri to Apple in the fine print. Is that legal?

No, it's not. Registered trademarks must be recognized. But when did Samsung ever shy from a little trademark infringement?

It's a demonstration of their incredible arrogance and belief that they're above the law. You'd have thought that a billion dollar penalty would have made them pay at least a little attention to US law.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #31 of 262
Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post
Samsung: "I will make it legal."


Apple is Naboo, Samsung is the Trade Federation (because of manufacturing), and the Emperor puppeteering the feeble, subservient Federation is Google.

post #32 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

 

Don't you have some adapters to be ordering? lol.gif

Don't you have a corner to be rocking back and forth in?

post #33 of 262

yea but its not $30 a charger and when u already have an an iphone charger or iphone accesories your basically screwed

post #34 of 262
Originally Posted by Randroid View Post
yea but its not $30 a charger and when u already have an an iphone charger or iphone accesories your basically screwed

 

*gets e-mail*

*our spam catching bot has caught some spam*

*clicks link to post*

*looks at username*

*laughs*

 

I'll bite. In what way would we be screwed?

post #35 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

Samsung: "I will make it legal."

Stop. That is the worst episode ever.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #36 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Except none of Samsung's "extras" actually matter. 

 

Where the rubber meets the road:

 

 

 

 

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57398726-37/iphone-again-scores-top-spot-at-customer-satisfaction/

 
Most recent:
 

 

 

 

 

http://mashable.com/2011/09/09/apple-customer-satisfaction-survey/

 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/briancaulfield/2011/03/18/apples-iphone-tops-jd-power-customer-satisfaction-survey-again/

 

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/08/apple-again-tops-j-d-power-rankings-of-smartphone-consumer-satisfaction/

 

http://www.tuaw.com/2009/10/09/j-d-power-smartphone-study-ranks-iphone-1-in-customer-satisfac/

 

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2008/11/iphone-wins-top-business-smartphone-satisfaction-marks/

 

 

 

 

 

 

ScreenShot2012-05-28at75101PM.jpg

 

 

 

This one's interesting:

 

http://www.loopinsight.com/2012/01/09/iphone-satisfaction-at-75-closest-competitor-at-47/

 

 

 

 

Apple has consistenly topped rankings of this kind since the first or second year into the iPhone's release. 

 

EDIT: Correction, *first* year.

 

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/orchant/iphone-satisfaction-numbers-are-unreal/523

 

http://seekingalpha.com/article/44709-early-iphone-adopters-extremely-satisfied

 

 

No wonder Apple commands over 30% of the US market, with at most 2-3 phones, *all under the same roof.* NO OEMs, NO UNIVERSAL-LICENSING. 

 

I won't even mention satisfaction rates for iPads, iPods and Macs. It's all the same story across the board. For years now. 

Please, Fandroids can't be bothered with things like reality and facts, don't you know Apple is Doomed and the iphone 5 is a refresh and Samsung lost to a corrupt US justice system over rectangles? /s

post #37 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


Apple is Naboo, Samsung is the Trade Federation (because of manufacturing), and the Emperor puppeteering the feeble, subservient Federation is Google.

Except in this instance Naboo seems to be soundly crushing the Federation without the aid of the Jedi at all.

post #38 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randroid View Post

yea but its not $30 a charger and when u already have an an iphone charger or iphone accesories your basically screwed

I said that when Apple changed their standard power connector from the tension plug to the first MagSafe connector in 2006. Somehow, I think I can survive Lightning too.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #39 of 262

i also like how u say they didnt cover key updates in software oops they thought it was standard like it is in on EVERY ANDROID since blackberrys were cool 

 

facebook integration- seriously its called sync been there done that years ago 

 

share photo streams- aka bluetooth....

 

maps - seriously seriously though when u get street view come speak to me

 

passbook - takes info from google wallet xD

 

phone - wait u couldnt reply with messages before we did that back when blackberrys were cool

 

safari - no where close to being as great as chrome 

 

mail - now making important contact list .... seriously

 

panorama -htc one x look it up

post #40 of 262

for everyone that owns a powercase or has a dock basically now useless without a converter if it even works or fits

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung takes aim at iPhone 5 in new print ad