or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung takes aim at iPhone 5 in new print ad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung takes aim at iPhone 5 in new print ad - Page 5

post #161 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oflife View Post
 Samsung started developing PDAs almost 20 years ago, Google their ALPS project. I visited their industrial and UX design studio in Palo Alto over 15 years ago almost, and even then, they were doing some cool stuff.
 

Do you mean "cool stuff" like stealing technology from Kodak, Sharp, Pioneer, etc. or  do you mean licensing ARM (England) chip designs and throwing together them in an ugly plastic enclosure with early versions of Windows? Now they do it with newer software they didn't code either and slap it together in an ugly plastic thing called a Galaxy. I guess innovation never was their strong point.

post #162 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonskate View Post

"in what appears to be a highly subjective comparison" 

hmm, it will be interesting to see how "subjective" phone customers will find features like replaceable batteries and memory cards on the new

Samsung. 



Or, a high resolution display, OR perhaps a phone that doesn't go dead as quickly.  Got stuck in an emergency in the mountains, or somewhere with no power?  Which phone would you want to have?  The iphone with 9 days standby, or the Samsung with 30?  You see, the chances of your phone being fully charged after playing angry birds while gabbing for hours is about nill.  And that's subjective?  I'd be willing to bet that if samsung's near 30 day standby time were an iphone 5 feature, apple fans would gloat about it.   I mean does anyone think they'd not like this on an iphone?  

 

I think the standard plug is much better approach.  It's a shame that die hard apple fans like tallest skil can't understand that regardless of what adapters were used in the past, the ad is talking about Samsung's newest offering which is standard.  I'd also be willing to bet most of their past ones are also standard.  Yes, there is one plug for the apple, BUT that's so apple can over charge and control the market on plugs.  Just as they do with their batteries which are not changeable without apple's help.  Apple's approach to everything is to try and take over, then make a proprietary plug or format so they can lock everything down in greed, then pretend it's "innovative".  Remember MP3's?  Superior in every way, as a sound engineer I know they are and more convenient if I could not have access to pure data.  Apple changed that format for ONE reason.  To control people and dip into money that artist could maybe have made.  No other company dared to be so controlling, proving it wasn't needed.

That's why apple's initial fanbase were mostly young and naive.  Because mommy and daddy's credit cards weren't far away and their attitude, "who cares".    So again, where is the standard USB power cord that the entire world is pretty much using?  Leave it to apple to take something that's practically ubiquitous and redo it.  I'd rather take a USB cord off another device be forced into apple's. 

 

Wait a minute.  Isn't the 5S made by the same company that just claimed that Samsung stole their "innovative" new round corners? Seems to me that Apple messed with the wrong company.  I mean, to sue someone over that?  Oh wait, I get it.  If they sue then much of it's credulous fanbase will believe round corners are what make apple so "innovative".  It's sad that they are so proud over something so lame.  Maybe apple should go into the automotive industry and then patent the steering wheel along with round wheels because the others didn't think of doing that.  Toyota, Ford, Gm and others will then need to manufacture this new thing called "the triangle wheel", and mount squares for tires for fear of a lawsuit.  Or they could use octagons.  And this is same one who's slow, over priced computers easily got infected by mac defender, mac flashback and many more, AFTER pretending they were impervious.  Their one supposed advantage and even that failed them.  Yep, I think I'm seeing a pattern here...

 

The worst phone I EVER owned was a Samsung. The battery would not even last a day within 6 months of purchase. I guess that is why they need the replaceable battery feature. If Samsung was not copying Apple designs, they would be... well, still copying RIM.

 

You just watch, Samsung will be trying to copy the new connector soon as they realize the USB connectors make their device thicker and heaver. Just a matter of time. The connector that does not require a specific orientation  is an improvement. You can keep your USB connectors, slower and harder to use.

post #163 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonskate View Post

This has gotten dull.  Either way, it's going to boil down to what people want.   If all they want is the apple logo regardless of what it does, then that's the way it will be.   At least samsung is creating competition that improves products.  Oh well, onto better things. 

If Samsung invented something, it would be competition. They are just attempting to clone the iPhone, that is not competition.

post #164 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post
Apple offers iOS updates for their phones for at least 2 years, often 3 years. For Android, OTOH, it is common that even a brand new phone doesn't have any Android upgrades available. Heck, my daughter bought an Android 2.2 phone after ICS was already out and there is no chance that it will ever be upgradeable.

Originally Posted by jfanning View Post
Why do you harp on about this when it doesn't carry the weight you try to place on it.
Unlike Apple, Google routinely updates their applications and releases them as updates (mail etc), you don't need to wait for an OS upgrade to get a new version.  She purchased (no one forced her to) a 2.2 based phone?

 

I purchased a 3GS in 2009, it came with iOS 3.  It will be upgraded to iOS 6 next week.

 

I purchased an Archos 48 media player in 2011.  It came with Android 1.4.  It can't be officially upgraded beyond 1.6.  There are numerous apps which can't be installed, notably Skype and Google Drive.

 

I purchased a Samsung Galaxy Y April this year.  It can't be officially upgraded beyond Android 2.3 (Not that it bothers me anymore, the model I purchased and its replacement were returned as they each went onto endless reboots.  What's the point of a phone you can't use).

I swapped for the Sony Xperia tipi which with Android 4.0.3 is so far so good.

 

But my main phone will remain an iPhone.

 

It is deceptive to be promoting all the wonderful things about Android, talking about how the handsets are cheaper when the consumer can buy brand new Android handsets with the old limited versions of Android.

 

The consumer who buys a new iPhone today gets the current iOS.  With Android it's very much let the consumer beware, as jfanning illustrates by chastising someone who purchased a new handset with Android 2.2.  The consumer has to be knowledgable about which phone comes with what version of Android and whether it can be upgraded or not.  Extra time and harassment for the knowledgable purchaser.

Future disappointment and confusion for those not in the know when an app doesn't work on their brand new 2.3 handset but works on a friend's year old device with 4.0.

 

 

 
 
 
post #165 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80025 View Post

Samdung can list all the components, elements, and contents of manure, but it's STILL manure.

Yeah, but they certainly do have a lot of it.

 

I'm surprised they didn't mention.

 

"But we have widgets and animations and we support Flash"

post #166 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

 

I think when you "shake to update" the removable battery flies out.... 

 

...perfect for our etch-a-sketch candidate...

Update what?  My friend's S III STILL doesn't have 4.1.  No matter how much she shakes it, the damn thing won't update the OS from 4.0.4 to 4.1.

 

Did Samsung figure out a way to fix bugs by updating the OS by shaking it?  I remember when we had CRT TVs and when you didn't get good reception, we would bang on the TV set and that would sometimes fix it.  I think they using the same concept, only shaking it.

 

I wonder if hitting the thing with a hammer is going to increase the processor speed.  LOL.

post #167 of 262

What's funny is Google doesn't have to field all of the support calls when the user shakes their S III and thing won't update.

 

Google was smart.  Hey lets put out a crappy OS, let anyone use it for free and let someone else handle the support issues. These hardware mfg will buy into that business model.

 

Hey, we'll let the Community to handle all of the support issues.

post #168 of 262
I was actually surprised to see the screen resolution was less than the Samsung. But then I went online to discover that Apple's choice was specifically to support smoother scaling, which is far more important than displaying 1:1 pixel mapped 1080p. However, even though Samsung's screen is larger, with greater resolution, doesn't that mean that they have something similar to a retina display? If so, then it's kind of misleading advertising (well misleading either way), but either way it's kind of a wash.
post #169 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

I was actually surprised to see the screen resolution was less than the Samsung. But then I went online to discover that Apple's choice was specifically to support smoother scaling, which is far more important than displaying 1:1 pixel mapped 1080p. However, even though Samsung's screen is larger, with greater resolution, doesn't that mean that they have something similar to a retina display? If so, then it's kind of misleading advertising (well misleading either way), but either way it's kind of a wash.

It's 306 PPI with the specs given, but remember that it's PenTile. That means it's pixels are RG BG instead of RGB RGB which means there are 33% less sub pixels because they are only using 2 per pixel instead of the standard 3 sub pixels.

Not only does that mean the quality of the image isn't as good for a given resolution it means that each sub pixel on the S3 is significantly larger for a given resolution with PenTile. It's a clever solution to reduce power usage but it doesn't result in a great image. It's surprising that Samsung, in 2012, would push this type of display in their flagship device.

It's technically a Retina Display when you factor in the distance you'd hold it from your eyes and factor in the pixel density, but that does not mean it's a good display. Take the 4th gen iPod Touch. It had the same resolution and PPI display as the iPhone 4, however, it was still a TN panel, not IPS, which made it far inferior to the iPhone 4 display*.



* It appears the new iPod Touch will be getting the exact same display as the iPhone this time around.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #170 of 262

It doesn't take a genius to see that Samsung brazenly ripped off Apple designs and Apple technology in order to maintain market share and a competitive edge that would unjustly carry the company forward to the position of market strength it enjoys today. Instead of public insults, Samsung owes Apple a huge debt of gratitude and hopefully has earned itself a gigantic smack down well in excess of $1B in punitive damages alone.


Edited by Cpsro - 9/16/12 at 1:57pm
post #171 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


It's 306 PPI with the specs given, but remember that it's PenTile. That means it's pixels are RG BG instead of RGB RGB which means there are 33% less sub pixels because they are only using 2 per pixel instead of the standard 3 sub pixels.
Not only does that mean the quality of the image isn't as good for a given resolution it means that each sub pixel on the S3 is significantly larger for a given resolution with PenTile. It's a clever solution to reduce power usage but it doesn't result in a great image. 

Samsung AMOLED(+) displays are also vibrant but exhibit poor color accuracy. For instance, people often look sunburned. There is a reason Samsung (and other AMOLED vendor) ads typically show computer generated imagery and avoid showing skin.

post #172 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Why do you harp on about this when it doesn't carry the weight you try to place on it.
Unlike Apple, Google routinely updates their applications and releases them as updates (mail etc), you don't need to wait for an OS upgrade to get a new version.
Please outline every application your daughter has not been able to install etc because she purchased (no one forced her to) a 2.2 based phone?

So you're arguing that the OS is irrelevant and all the OS improvements that you Android shills brag about are meaningless?

You can't have it both ways. Please choose one and stop talking out of both sides of your mouth:
1. The fact that Android OS upgrades are rare is a serious problem that limits Android users' capabilities after they purchase a phone.
or
2. All the Android OS upgrades are irrelevant and don't do anything for the end user.

So which is it?


The fact is that with iOS, you get upgrades for years. With Android phones, it is likely that you'll NEVER get upgrades and if you do, it will be only for a very short time.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #173 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Ah, but by making their phone white and the competitor's black, theirs pops out of the advertisement more and catches attention.

 

… That's the only intelligent thing marketing-wise they seem to have done here.

Agreed. And just to add to that as well...

 

In marketing 101:  White=Good Guy, Black=Bad Guy

 

I would also say that based on the "faked" glass reflection, this is more than likely a Photoshop mockup of the iPhone 5.

 

Poor execution...poor taste...poor Samsung. Pack up and go home with your tail between your legs.

post #174 of 262
And that Galaxy Dock will keep on working right? What do you mean:"no one makes Samsung phone docks."
Oh right.
post #175 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by salterra View Post

It was the same as todays USB connector. I can charge the firewire charged iPob with any modern USB based connector. One charger works for everything.

No it wasn't, the original iPods (still within the 10 years he claimed) had firewire only charging, the other end of the plug was a firewire port, that isn't the same as USB
post #176 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

I purchased a 3GS in 2009, it came with iOS 3.  It will be upgraded to iOS 6 next week.

Well apart from the fact that most of the ios 6 features will be missing from the 3GS, but hey, if you are happy with the change in the about screen, then that is all that matters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

I purchased an Archos 48 media player in 2011.  It came with Android 1.4.  It can't be officially upgraded beyond 1.6.  There are numerous apps which can't be installed, notably Skype and Google Drive.

Media player? Aren't we talking about cellphones?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

I purchased a Samsung Galaxy Y April this year.  It can't be officially upgraded beyond Android 2.3 (Not that it bothers me anymore, the model I purchased and its replacement were returned as they each went onto endless reboots.  What's the point of a phone you can't use).

I will ask you this time, what applications have you been unable to install because you are only on Android 2.3? Then maybe you can list all the core applications that Google has updated adhoc in that time, when Apple would have required a full OS upgrade to perform the same?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

But my main phone will remain an iPhone.

Good for you
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

It is deceptive to be promoting all the wonderful things about Android, talking about how the handsets are cheaper when the consumer can buy brand new Android handsets with the old limited versions of Android.

Again, how is this limiting the consumer? I'm yet to hear anyone list any applications that people with 2.3 phones are missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

The consumer who buys a new iPhone today gets the current iOS.  With Android it's very much let the consumer beware, as jfanning illustrates by chastising someone who purchased a new handset with Android 2.2.  The consumer has to be knowledgable about which phone comes with what version of Android and whether it can be upgraded or not.  Extra time and harassment for the knowledgable purchaser.

I didn't chastise anyone. With all purchases the consumer should be aware of what they are purchasing, if they are mislead by the person selling that is when the consumer protection laws come in. If you purchase a 2.2 based phone today it is no different than if you were to purchase a 3GS today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

Future disappointment and confusion for those not in the know when an app doesn't work on their brand new 2.3 handset but works on a friend's year old device with 4.0.

Again, name this Application
post #177 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

So you're arguing that the OS is irrelevant and all the OS improvements that you Android shills brag about are meaningless?

No, I am saying you shouldn't need a full OS update to get a new version of mail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You can't have it both ways. Please choose one and stop talking out of both sides of your mouth:
1. The fact that Android OS upgrades are rare is a serious problem that limits Android users' capabilities after they purchase a phone.

Please list these serious problems. You make a tonne of claims, but never produce any evidence to back it up. By you logic I should be taking back my iPod classic as I have never had an OS update for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

2. All the Android OS upgrades are irrelevant and don't do anything for the end user.

I have never said this, but don't let facts get in the way of your argument.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The fact is that with iOS, you get upgrades for years. With Android phones, it is likely that you'll NEVER get upgrades and if you do, it will be only for a very short time.

Again, please back these update with some evidence. How many of this OS upgrades from Apple have just been to update core Applications?
post #178 of 262
I'm not even going to make my comment because it would probably be deleted due to extreme profanity and over-extreme insulting.

 

 


Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

 

Reply

 

 


Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

 

Reply
post #179 of 262
If you study the patents you knew this chip was going to be custom overall. I even mentioned the memory controller designs coming that don't match ARM designs.
post #180 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post
How many of this OS upgrades from Apple have just been to update core Applications?

Practically every iOS update has included security updates, and these updates have been made available simultaneously across all iOS devices going back years. Combine this with Apple's walled garden for apps and you've got a far more secure solution than Google and its conspirators in intellectual property theft provide.

post #181 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

No, I am saying you shouldn't need a full OS update to get a new version of mail.

Of course not. But that's not the issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Please list these serious problems. You make a tonne of claims, but never produce any evidence to back it up. By you logic I should be taking back my iPod classic as I have never had an OS update for it.

Let's see - lack of security updates. Lack of updates to fix serious bugs in the OS (or are you going to pretend that no Android version has ever had a serious bug?). Lack of new features (so, once again, are you pretending that no Android OS upgrade adds new features or not?).
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

I have never said this, but don't let facts get in the way of your argument.
Again, please back these update with some evidence. How many of this OS upgrades from Apple have just been to update core Applications?

I don't know - nor is it relevant. The fact is that Apple offers updates for every iOS device for years while many Android devices will NEVER have an OS update available.

So, once again, please choose your argument. Which is it?
1. Android OS upgrades are useless and don't have any value for the average user.
or
2. The lack of availability of Android upgrades is a serious problem for the user.

Which is it?


It's really amazing that you would even try to argue this point. It's a serious problem with Android and even Android advocates acknowledge it. Why can't you?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #182 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post
Well apart from the fact that most of the iOS 6 features will be missing from the 3GS, but hey, if you are happy with the change in the about screen, then that is all that matters.

So you think iOS 6 features for the 3GS such as Facebook integration, shared photo streams, Passbook and VIP email are all to be found in the about screen?  I suggest you familiarise yourself with iOS 6.

 

Media player? Aren't we talking about cellphones?

We're talking about cellphones but does Google use a radically different version of Android on non-cellphones?  Excluding phone and SMS apps, what's valid for Android on the phone is valid for Android on a media player or Tablet.


 I will ask you this time, what applications have you been unable to install because you are only on Android 2.3?
I'm yet to hear anyone list any applications that people with 2.3 phones are missing.
Again, name this Application

 

Once, twice and three times:

 

Google Chrome

Google Chrome

Google Chrome

 

Your stance implies that there's no advantage in upgrading the Android OS on a handset, after all you've tried to compel people that Android apps that run in 4.0 also work in 2.3.

So why does Google bother to create new versions of Android?

Are you saying that Android software can't take advantage of new features in new versions of Android?

 

 With all purchases the consumer should be aware of what they are purchasing, if they are mislead by the person selling that is when the consumer protection laws come in.

I suspect the salespeople will say it comes with "the latest Android 4.1" for the 4.1 phones and merely say "Android" for the older models.  That way nobody is misled, but then they won't be fully informed either unless the consumer has the awareness to prompt specifically about OS version.


If you purchase a 2.2 based phone today it is no different than if you were to purchase a 3GS today.

 

Oh yes there is:

a 3GS purchaser will have the current iOS 6 when it's released this week.

 

The Android 2.2 purchaser will be lucky to get an update to last year's version 3, much less the current version 4.1

 
 
 
 
 
post #183 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

If you purchase a 2.2 based phone today it is no different than if you were to purchase a 3GS today.
Again, name this Application

Other than, of course, the entire point of this discussion.

The 3GS will be upgradeable to iOS 6. That means you get all the upgraded apps, all the security fixes, and most of the new features (all the ones the old hardware can handle).

With Android, you get none of that. And, many current apps won't even run on the older versions of Android.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #184 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

I find it absolutely hilarious how butt hurt you Apple fanatics are over a competitors ad...You'd swear they called your mom names and spit at your newborn child after stealing his candy...
get over it.

Oh, don't pay us any attention while you tweak your Andud device for the umpteen millionth time. We're just anticipating the next shoe to fall, be it Apple's severance of all business ties with Samsung, another legal victory for Apple, another loss for Samsung or Google, a drop-dead damages award, etc. All well-deserved outcomes for Samsung.

post #185 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

I find it absolutely hilarious how butt hurt you Apple fanatics are over a competitors ad...You'd swear they called your mom names and spit at your newborn child after stealing his candy...
get over it.

Yeah, we have to get over Samsung posting a blatantly false and misleading ad while you have to get over the fact that you're defending a convicted criminal organization.

Sounds reasonable.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #186 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

I'm not even going to make my comment because it would probably be deleted due to extreme profanity and over-extreme insulting.

I flagged you for what you were thinking.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker."
-auxio-
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker."
-auxio-
Reply
post #187 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Oh, don't pay us any attention while you tweak your Andud device for the umpteen millionth time. We're just anticipating the next shoe to fall, be it Apple's severance of all business ties with Samsung, another legal victory for Apple, another loss for Samsung or Google, a drop-dead damages award, etc. All well-deserved outcomes for Samsung.

Speaking of mindless Android shills, I notice that Googleguy hasn't made it back after Samsung got hammered by the CA court. or is he one of the new trolls with a different name?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #188 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


Yeah, we have to get over Samsung posting a blatantly false and misleading ad while you have to get over the fact that you're defending a convicted criminal organization.
Sounds reasonable.

 

Well, his sneering insults are less annoying than the shrill whining he had been engaged in lately, so, at least there's that to his latest post.

post #189 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


Speaking of mindless Android shills, I notice that Googleguy hasn't made it back after Samsung got hammered by the CA court. or is he one of the new trolls with a different name?


 He popped his head in once or twice, but everyone ignored him, naturally

post #190 of 262

Here is my take on this Samsung iPhone 5 bashing ad:\

post #191 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

I find it absolutely hilarious how butt hurt you Apple fanatics are over a competitors ad...You'd swear they called your mom names and spit at your newborn child after stealing his candy...
get over it.

You are misinterpreting the issue. It's about using shady tactics to use technical true but false claims. Those same people — except maybe a couple from this forum — would also be the first to point out where they think Apple is in the wrong or making missteps. Just read the recent headphone or skeumorphism threads to see those pro-Apple AI regulars talking about the aspects of Apple's products they clearly don't like.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #192 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

I'm not even going to make my comment because it would probably be deleted due to extreme profanity and over-extreme insulting.
Go ahead, just make sure after you post that you click the red flag and report yourself. That should balance things out.

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply
post #193 of 262

It doesn't take a genius to know that within the next few days, maybe even tomorrow, Apple will most likely be announcing the insane number of pre-orders they received for the iPhone 5.

 

It also doesn't take a genius to recognize that Android is complete crap and no amount of desperate, poorly made ads will ever change that.

post #194 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

With Android, you get none of that. And, many current apps won't even run on the older versions of Android.

 

My phone runs gingerbread, and I have only ever found one app that I might have used that  it won't run, and that's an alternate browser.  Buy the phone (or any bit of gear) for what it does when you buy it, not for what it may or may not do in the future.

post #195 of 262
Yipes - was in a Radio Shack earlier today - did not look what phone it was - but some 4.5" or whatever screen - picked the thing up - and thought sweet zombie jesus - no way in the world I could operate that thing with just one hand.

A very simple solution to making the screen appear to be larger - move it close to your eyes.

Seriously though - I have something like 20 million pixels on my desk so I do understand how more screen area, provided it has good resolution, can be put to good use - I just don't see how that device would be easy to carry around all day every day.
post #196 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

This ad is insulting even to those who would purchase a Galaxy III.

 

Apple's decision to not only stay at the same width but to correctly and factually state that it is the correct size for a phone. 

 

The physical dimensions of the iPhone will prove to be a modern design classic. They got it spot on. 

 

As Apple continues to take more control over their hardware components I expect future iPhones and Apple products to pull away even quicker from the pack.

So because Apple says they prefer their width, this is the correct size for a phone?  Who says?

 

You speak without facts but just from a Fanboy perspective.

post #197 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Let's see - lack of security updates. Lack of updates to fix serious bugs in the OS (or are you going to pretend that no Android version has ever had a serious bug?). Lack of new features (so, once again, are you pretending that no Android OS upgrade adds new features or not?).
I don't know - nor is it relevant. The fact is that Apple offers updates for every iOS device for years while many Android devices will NEVER have an OS update available.

Unlike you, I don't pretend. The big thing is, how many people are effected by this, it is no where near as high as you try to make out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

So, once again, please choose your argument. Which is it?
1. Android OS upgrades are useless and don't have any value for the average user.
or
2. The lack of availability of Android upgrades is a serious problem for the user.
Which is it?
It's really amazing that you would even try to argue this point. It's a serious problem with Android and even Android advocates acknowledge it. Why can't you?

Why should I choose between two extreme statements you are making? I have never said the lack of upgrades was not an issue, I said that it isn't as big an issue that you try to make out
post #198 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It doesn't take a genius to know that within the next few days, maybe even tomorrow, Apple will most likely be announcing the insane number of pre-orders they received for the iPhone 5.

 

It also doesn't take a genius to recognize that Android is complete crap and no amount of desperate, poorly made ads will ever change that.

So basically, the mlilions of Android users aren't as smart as you to recognize they are using a crappy product.  Nice.

post #199 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Other than, of course, the entire point of this discussion.
The 3GS will be upgradeable to iOS 6. That means you get all the upgraded apps, all the security fixes, and most of the new features (all the ones the old hardware can handle).
With Android, you get none of that. And, many current apps won't even run on the older versions of Android.

No all, and not most. And again, please list these "many current apps" that won't even run on gingerbread?
post #200 of 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiA View Post


Once, twice and three times:

Google Chrome

Excellent, one app.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

Your stance implies that there's no advantage in upgrading the Android OS on a handset, after all you've tried to compel people that Android apps that run in 4.0 also work in 2.3.

nope, that isn't what I said, stop trying to put words into my mouth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

So why does Google bother to create new versions of Android?

Well I suppose there would be a number of reasons. But it is the OEM/network that controls the updates to phones, not Google
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

Are you saying that Android software can't take advantage of new features in new versions of Android?

No, I am not saying that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

I suspect the salespeople will say it comes with "the latest Android 4.1" for the 4.1 phones and merely say "Android" for the older models.  That way nobody is misled, but then they won't be fully informed either unless the consumer has the awareness to prompt specifically about OS version.

I don't know sorry, haven't talked to a salesperson about phones for years. But the shops I have been into have the Android version listed on signs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

Oh yes there is:
a 3GS purchaser will have the current iOS 6 when it's released this week.

The Android 2.2 purchaser will be lucky to get an update to last year's version 3, much less the current version 4.1

Why would you want to upgrade a 2.2 phone, to the tablet only Android 3? The upgrade path for phones is from 2.x to 4.x, you bypass 3 altogether.

As for the 3GS, it is missing so many of the iOS 6 features they should have called it 5.9, after all, according to the Apple iOS 6 page the 3GS is missing from a lot of the features list.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung takes aim at iPhone 5 in new print ad