or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › First Apple iPhone 5 orders now shipping from China

First Apple iPhone 5 orders now shipping from China

post #1 of 85
Customers who were among the first to preorder the iPhone 5 from Apple have begun seeing updates that their orders are shipping from China.

While some iPhone 5 orders are now shipping, the packages are still not scheduled to be delivered until Friday, Sept. 21, which is the product's launch date.

One delivery update from UPS provided to AppleInsider shows that the shipment began its transit on Sunday, Sept. 16. The delivery is now on its way from ZhengZhou, China.

UPS

Orders at Apple's website are still listed as "preparing for shipment," but some have been able to track their package by using a reference number, such as a cell phone number tied to the order. By searching the reference number, it can be discovered that the product has in fact already shipped.

In years past, a handful of iPhone preorders have arrived earlier than the product launch date. However, almost all orders typically arrive on the advertised launch date.
post #2 of 85
Heeeeee so exciiteeeed for miiiine!!!!
post #3 of 85

Thank you Foxconn Workers.  You have made the people of the United States happy.

An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #4 of 85
I got the email from apple at 3:20 Easter time, I still have no tracking information, anyone else?
post #5 of 85
Mine shipped!! got the tracking number too!
Edited by hillmaxwell - 9/16/12 at 7:57pm
post #6 of 85

Got my order confirmation email at 3:07am EDT - no order status update for me yet.

The order in which the updates go out may have more to do with where the order's being shipped to than when the order was placed - Apple may be timing the shipments to make sure the orders arrive on the 21st.  

Mine is being delivered to NYC, so the total transit time for my order may be less for me than for someone more off the beaten path.

post #7 of 85

Well, let us know when you get your tracking number.

post #8 of 85
No email yet from Apple for me but if yours has shipped go to Ups.com and under "Track by Reference" and fill out date, your zip. Under "Shipment Reference" put in your phone number you have you attached to your Apple Store account. I checked mine and it shipped! Has the same arrival info, times, etc as the image in the story. Has Friday the 21st delivery as expected.
post #9 of 85
No iPhone 5 for me 1frown.gif still 1 year left on my iPhone 4 contract (stupid 3 year contract). Question is, do I upgrade to an iPhone 5 next September or wait for the possible iPhone 6?

It's so far away!
post #10 of 85

3 year contract??????

post #11 of 85
Someone explain me please, why things like iPhone can't be assembled on automated factories, here in the US. It's like in the "Campaign" movie, Apple could save a lot on shipment costs. :-)
post #12 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillmaxwell View Post

3 year contract??????

Yup, that is the standard contract length in Canada. Im definitely only doing 2 next time (if they let me) it just means that the phone will be $399 instead of $199
post #13 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

No iPhone 5 for me 1frown.gif still 1 year left on my iPhone 4 contract (stupid 3 year contract). Question is, do I upgrade to an iPhone 5 next September or wait for the possible iPhone 6?
It's so far away!

Try to call and ask for an earlier upgrade, or something like that.

post #14 of 85
Quote:

It's so far away!

It'll probably be a 5S next year which is still exciting IMO. I'm expecting a full mobile wallet system to be rolled out next year as well as some other bells and whistles that might be 5S only.

If next month there are already rumors of an iPhone 6 for next year don't believe. Expect a 5S and you won't be disappointed.
post #15 of 85
Quote:

It's so far away!

Seeing as the 7th gen iPhone will probably be released around the same time next year, I think it will be a fairly easy decision for you when the time comes.

post #16 of 85
I got my confirmation 4:51AM EDT. Says delivers Oct 5th 1frown.gif

Hopefully it gets pushed up!
post #17 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Someone explain me please, why things like iPhone can't be assembled on automated factories, here in the US. It's like in the "Campaign" movie, Apple could save a lot on shipment costs. :-)

Actually, the cost of labor in China is so low it's cheaper to assemble them by hand.  Besides, most of the supply chain is located in Asia and the shipping costs would be much higher to ship some parts to the US and back.  It's also faster this way.

post #18 of 85

Thank you PSIRIX for sharing the info! So UPS will be the delivery carrier and not FedEx?

post #19 of 85

iPhone 4/4s was delivered by UPS.

post #20 of 85

Yes.....It is 3 year contract in Canada

post #21 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgm313 View Post

iPhone 4/4s was delivered by UPS.

Thanks. For some reason I thought Apple dealt with FedEx most of the time. The fact that UPS Worldwide Express has a 1 to 2 day transit to US...technically we could still see a handoff to FedEx. Not like it matters...just FedEx usually delivers earlier to my house. hah.

post #22 of 85
Yep BDELAY. UPS is the carrier. Was last year for the 4S too. For me anyway.
post #23 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdelay View Post

Thanks. For some reason I thought Apple dealt with FedEx most of the time. The fact that UPS Worldwide Express has a 1 to 2 day transit to US...technically we could still see a handoff to FedEx. Not like it matters...just FedEx usually delivers earlier to my house. hah.

For most orders with me, it is FedEx, but because of the heavy load, I think they contract with UPS and even DHL when needed.
post #24 of 85
We got a shipment of nano SIM's today, better get a magnifying glass, there's not much room for the twenty digit SIM number.

It's shaped like a normal SIM, no little notches.

I'll try and post a pic later.

Edit:-

As promised

Normal SIM, MiroSIM, NanoSIM

Edited by hill60 - 9/17/12 at 1:43am
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
post #25 of 85
Quote:

You want something slapped together by a machine; there are brands like that for you.

post #26 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdelay View Post

Thank you PSIRIX for sharing the info! So UPS will be the delivery carrier and not FedEx?

I gotta hunch that Apple will be using every available shipping method to get the initial load of product to the end user.

post #27 of 85
I haven't received an email from Apple but I used a ref number on ups.com and got these results

Scheduled Delivery:
Friday, 09/21/2012, by 3:00 P.M.(by end of day for residential deliveries)
Last Location:
Addison, IL, United States, Sunday, 09/16/2012

Shipping Progress

Addison, IL, United States 09/16/2012 4:41 P.M. Origin Scan
United States 09/16/2012 8:04 P.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS
post #28 of 85
shows up on mine as well...
no email but my reference number works... which was my cell number...
Scheduled Delivery:
Friday, 09/21/2012
Last Location:
Arrived - ZhengZhou, China, Sunday, 09/16/2012

Additional Information
Product:WORLD EASEShipped/Billed On:09/16/2012Type:PackageWeight:0.40 kg

Shipment Progress
What's This?
Location Date Local Time Activity
ZhengZhou, China 09/16/2012 6:00 P.M. Arrival Scan
09/16/2012 5:45 P.M. Departure Scan
09/16/2012 8:49 A.M. Origin Scan
China 09/16/2012 10:05 P.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS
post #29 of 85

Great trick - found my tracking information, even though Apple still shows it as Preparing to Ship.

post #30 of 85
Quote:

Because Chinese labor is a lot cheaper than maintenance on expensive assembly machines. Apple brings in up to $300 profit from each iPhone, but they rather put that money in their own pockets rather than to create jobs with a decent wage in the US or China.

It doesn't bother me that companies take jobs to China, what bothers me is why they do it. They do it to exploit them with bad wages and killer hours, not to give them jobs.

A reason why I will never again buy an iPhone/iPad/Mac

post #31 of 85

I followed Psirix's instructions and mine is in transit! I used my home phone, not cell, for the reference number.

I ordered about 20 after midnight Friday. Being shipped to Los Angeles. My confirmation has times similar to the one AI showed -

ZhengZhou, China   09/16/2012    9:50 P.M.  Arrival Scan
  09/16/2012 9:30 P.M.  Departure Scan
  09/16/2012 7:33 A.M.  Origin Scan
China 09/16/2012 12:37 P.M.  Order Processed: Ready for UPS
post #32 of 85

Faxon uses more than 500K people to assemble all Apple products, it is difficult for USA to get those many people working in a single facility, average monthly salary for them is less than $400[which is great compared to other factories in China], but $400 is less than a weekly salary in USA!! Shipping costs are less compared to these labor costs.

Now Faxon is trying to reduce labor by introducing robots into manufactoring, that time Apple might think to build something local. But still it need to import every component from China or other countries!!!

post #33 of 85
Quote:

Faxon uses more than 500K people to assemble all Apple products, it is difficult for USA to get those many people working in a single facility, average monthly salary for them is less than $400[which is great compared to other factories in China], but $400 is less than a weekly salary in USA!! Shipping costs are less compared to these labor costs.

Now Faxon is trying to reduce labor by introducing robots into manufactoring, that time Apple might think to build something local. But still it need to import every component from China or other countries!!!

post #34 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesos View Post

Because Chinese labor is a lot cheaper than maintenance on expensive assembly machines. Apple brings in up to $300 profit from each iPhone, but they rather put that money in their own pockets rather than to create jobs with a decent wage in the US or China.

It doesn't bother me that companies take jobs to China, what bothers me is why they do it. They do it to exploit them with bad wages and killer hours, not to give them jobs.

A reason why I will never again buy an iPhone/iPad/Mac

LOL Well any other phone is made in Asia anyway? You not gonna use any technology not made in US? I guess you can buy that Google Q thing.

Apple had me at scrolling
Apple had me at scrolling
post #35 of 85

huh. mine shipped from Nashville. I can't imagine it taking 4 days to get here, does UPS just sit on them 'til Friday?

Scheduled Delivery:

Last Location:

Departed - Nashville, TN, United States, Sunday, 09/16/2012

Nashville, TN, United States

09/16/2012

4:01 P.M.

Departure Scan

09/16/2012

12:05 P.M.

Origin Scan

United States

09/15/2012

12:25 P.M.

Order Processed: Ready for UPS

post #36 of 85

Still saying "processing" I ordered 3:14 EST and got the email confirmation at 3:20. anyone else?

post #37 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinpike View Post

huh. mine shipped from Nashville. I can't imagine it taking 4 days to get here, does UPS just sit on them 'til Friday?

Scheduled Delivery:

Last Location:

Departed - Nashville, TN, United States, Sunday, 09/16/2012

Nashville, TN, United States

09/16/2012

4:01 P.M.

Departure Scan

09/16/2012

12:05 P.M.

Origin Scan

United States

09/15/2012

12:25 P.M.

Order Processed: Ready for UPS

Some people got their 4S a day or two before the launch day.

post #38 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

LOL Well any other phone is made in Asia anyway? You not gonna use any technology not made in US? I guess you can buy that Google Q thing.

I have a recollection that the Google G thing is assembled in the USA and some of the parts manufactured there but not all.

With reference to the answers above, I agree that some of the reasons that the process is not fully automated is that labour in China is cheaper and the rest of the supply chain is more local. I am guessing that there is another reason. To fully automate, one would need to build and program the robots necessary which is an enormously capital intensive task. this is not a problem if those machines are going to be used for enough times to pay for themselves but the manufacturing process for the 3 and the 4 were very different and it seems that the 4 and 5 are also using very different processes.

This could mean that machinery bought today for the current iPhone will be redundant by the time the next phone is due. Although it would be reasonable to assume that the 5s will be pretty similar in build to the 5 with updated internals if history is anything to go by.

In the end it would be preferable for Apple to use an automated assembly line from start to finish to avoid labour issues, potential criticism and to control the process even further but it seems that human labour is more flexible and better for certain tasks at this stage.   

post #39 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by festerfeet View Post

I have a recollection that the Google G thing is assembled in the USA and some of the parts manufactured there but not all.

It's Google 'Q'. It was ridiculously expensive and incredibly limited. And you know, it never actually launched. 'Indefinitely' delayed. Not the best example to use. 

post #40 of 85
At 0.4 kg each it would cost about 30 cents each unit to ship from China to USA. But that 's a lot of planes needed: only 2500 iPhones per tonne means about 100,000 per airliner. Or 10 planeloads per million.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › First Apple iPhone 5 orders now shipping from China