or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple announces iPhone 5 preorders top 2 million in first 24 hours

Apple announces iPhone 5 preorders top 2 million in first 24 hours

post #1 of 70
Preorders of the iPhone 5 surpassed 2 million in its first 24 hours of availability, more than doubling last year's record set by the iPhone 4S, Apple announced on Monday.

Demand for the iPhone 5 exceeds supply, though Apple said the "majority of preorders" will be delivered to customers on Sept. 21. New orders are scheduled to arrive in October.

"iPhone 5 preorders have shattered the previous record held by iPhone 4S and the customer response to iPhone 5 has been phenomenal," said Philip Schiller, Apple?s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. "iPhone 5 is the best iPhone yet, the most beautiful product we?ve ever made, and we hope customers love it as much as we do."

iPhone 5

The iPhone 5 will be available at Apple's 356 U.S. retail stores beginning at 8 a.m. local time on Friday. Customers who were unable to preorder in time can attempt to obtain Apple's latest handset at a retail store.

The iPhone 5 is also available through carriers AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon wireless, and will also be sold at select Best Buy, RadioShack, Target and Walmart Stores, as well as Apple Authorized resellers.

Apple will launch the iPhone 5 in a total of 9 countries this Friday, making it the fastest launch ever for one of the company's new devices. A week later, the iPhone 5 will debut in 22 more countries, making a total of 31 before the end of Apple's September quarter.

By December, the iPhone 5 will be available in 100 countries and on 240 carriers. Earlier Monday, Apple's carrier partner AT&T also said it had seen record preorders for the iPhone 5, but did not disclose any specific figures.
post #2 of 70
WOW!

Glad I own some Apple stock!

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #3 of 70
My two iPhones pre-orders are truly one in a million.
post #4 of 70
Simply amazing (but not surprising) — go AAPL!
post #5 of 70

Dayamn

Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

post #6 of 70
Remember jus a couple days when some were claiming Apple couldn't have sold that many because they didn't release numbers instantly?

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #7 of 70
Is this higher or lower than analysts predictions? I am looking to 700.
Eph nMP, rMBP13&15, MBA, Minis, iPhone 3GS,4,4S,5,5S,6
Eph nMP, rMBP13&15, MBA, Minis, iPhone 3GS,4,4S,5,5S,6
post #8 of 70

So much for those suggesting that Apple deliberately staged this order surge!

post #9 of 70
And just imagine what sales would be if Apple hadn't constrained supply to create demand! /s
post #10 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Remember jus a couple days when some were claiming Apple couldn't have sold that many because they didn't release numbers instantly?

'Some'? That's all just about every one of the hundreds of dunderheads posting on sites like theverge.com, cnet.com, and Engadget.com were claiming.

What a hoot!
post #11 of 70

My carrier doesn't accept pre-orders but has said that they'll have plenty on Friday... should be a lot of iPhone 5's unpacked that day!

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #12 of 70
Quote:

I also remember that quite clearly.

Can we get some thoughts from those naysayers now?
Smoke me a kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.
Smoke me a kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.
post #13 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

'Some'? That's all just about every one of the hundreds of dunderheads posting on sites like theverge.com, cnet.com, and Engadget.com were claiming.
What a hoot!

In my defense I was only using AI as a reference in their Apple 'completely blown away' by iPhone 5 demand article.

Here is how I responded on that thread...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez 
Apparently the difference this time is that they're not disclosing numbers:
http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-blown-away-by-iphone-pre-orders-again-2012-9
You're jumping to conclusions awfully fast. I seem to recall that Apple didn't give a number immediately after the day-one pre-orders were set but did so a day later (or days later if there was a weekend in the way).

It's almost like Apple hasn't fallen apart in the year + since Steve stepped down as CEO. Note that this is the 2nd iPhone event Steve did not attend and the 5th one in total that Steve has not been with the company. It doesn't seem as though it has been that many events that Cook has hosted but I counted.

post #14 of 70
Even though the iPhone 5 is launching in two more places - Singapore and Hong Kong - than the iPhone 4s did, those two territories together couldn't account for the 1 million increase. Seems like there was a lot of pent up demand.
post #15 of 70
AAPL $699 in premarket.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #16 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

And just imagine what sales would be if Apple hadn't constrained supply to create demand! /s

LOLZ !!!!
post #17 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

I also remember that quite clearly.
Can we get some thoughts from those naysayers now?

I don't read most other tech sites these days* but on AnandTech they do have the usual commenters complaining about Apple is failing for not providing enough units for every first week pre-order (despite selling millions on day one) and even claiming Apple is not selling units to generate buzz, which has to be the most absurd thing I've ever read about business for a company with an overwhelmingly dominate mindshare.

* I deleted my RSS and only added ones I was dying to know about. 3 months later I still only have AI, MR, and AT, and I never read the forums for MR. Probably should add MondayNote.

post #18 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddarko View Post

Even though the iPhone 5 is launching in two more places - Singapore and Hong Kong - than the iPhone 4s did, those two territories together couldn't account for the 1 million increase. Seems like there was a lot of pent up demand.

I still contend that the timeframe we've seen of leaks pointing to a production ramp up months ago, and the addition of countries for first and second week sales is good enough circumstantial evidence to deduce that Apple has more units to sell this year than they've had over any other year.

post #19 of 70
Quote:

IIRC, Apple always releases sales numbers after the weekend.

post #20 of 70

I guess some of the tech pundits were right the iPhone 5 will be a dull, uninteresting upgrade and few will notice it. Oh snap,

post #21 of 70
I've been reading stories around the net about how Apple doesn't have the same magic without Jobs but if you drill down to the detail, they are saying much the same stuff as when Steve was around. The reality distortion field is now in the heads of the detractors.

Philip Machanick creator of Opinionations and Green Grahamstown
Department of Computer Science, Rhodes University, South Africa

Philip Machanick creator of Opinionations and Green Grahamstown
Department of Computer Science, Rhodes University, South Africa

post #22 of 70
24 iPhones per second for 24 straight hours... Not too shabby... @ apx 700 ( sell price plus subsidy) works out to 1.4B in revenue in a single day just in iPhone 5 preorders... Oh and tack on at least 60m for dock adapters.

Congrats Apple!
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
post #23 of 70
"Apple only sells 2 million pre-orders. Disappointment in Cupertino without Jobs" /s
post #24 of 70
The "majority"? I preordered my two 4 hours after the sales started and mine is saying delivered Oct. 5th.
post #25 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

24 iPhones per second for 24 straight hours... Not too shabby... @ apx 700 ( sell price plus subsidy) works out to 1.4B in revenue in a single day just in iPhone 5 preorders... Oh and tack on at least 60m for dock adapters.
Congrats Apple!

... Or more than 200 Tons of a product priced more than 5 $ a gram ...
post #26 of 70
Apple's 250 US retail stores.
post #27 of 70

I got my pre order in at around 8:40am UK time on Friday - upgrading from an iPhone 4... 

Everybody I work with who has an iPhone 4 which is now out of contract has either preordered or are planning to line up at a store on Friday morning...

post #28 of 70
"It doesn't take a genius..." 1biggrin.gif
post #29 of 70

I'm getting mine the 29th. Still haven't decided on a colour.

post #30 of 70

Just out of curiosity, what was the best selling android phone? I ordered my 2 just after midnight!!

post #31 of 70

WOW!  Go Apple go!  Great news.

post #32 of 70
If this news alone itritates all the bib-dribblers to distraction, it's a great way to start the week.
post #33 of 70
Hmmm, define 'plenty'.
post #34 of 70

Amazing! Congratulations Apple!! I hope they take Samsung to the Grave!

post #35 of 70

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19557497

LMAO

Once again, Apple's made critics look like complete dumbasses. 

Then again, all Dan Lyons needs for that is Dan Lyons. 

post #36 of 70

So Google, Samsung, Motorola eat your heart out. I bet you want Apple's problems don;t you? 

Got mine 29 minutes into the sale. 64GB, Black on AT&T. I have confirmation that I get mine on 9/21.  Cannot wait to get my grubby sticky hands on it. :-)

So the "anal"yst's were I guess wrong after all. It was not as dull or as boring or as other BS they predicted. 

I love the fact that these morons are so freaking wrong. I am laughing my ass all the way to retirement on my apple stock.

JDS

post #37 of 70
So the 4S had 1 million preorders sold out in 1 day but sold 4 million in the first 3 days.
The iPhone 5 has had 2 million preorders sold out in 1 hour. If they've managed to double capacity, that should make a decent first 3 days.
The Android fans are running around talking about how the Galaxy S3 preorders were 9 million but the total sales for the first 100 days were 20 million. That's lower than the 4S sales every quarter this year, which reportedly made up about 90% of iPhone orders.
post #38 of 70

Does this figure include operators pre-orders ? (or just orders through AppleStore) ?

post #39 of 70
Quote:

I don't read most other tech sites these days* but on AnandTech they do have the usual commenters complaining about Apple is failing for not providing enough units for every first week pre-order (despite selling millions on day one) and even claiming Apple is not selling units to generate buzz, which has to be the most absurd thing I've ever read about business for a company with an overwhelmingly dominate mindshare.
* I deleted my RSS and only added ones I was dying to know about. 3 months later I still only have AI, MR, and AT, and I never read the forums for MR. Probably should add MondayNote.

No doubt tese are the same people who bash the hell out of Apple at the drop of a hat,anytime there's a report of long hours/overtime at Foxconn. Yet, they will freak out and foam at the mouth if somehow they don't receive the new phone the second it's released, claiming that Apple is 'limiting' supply...Hypocrites.
post #40 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19557497

LMAO

Once again, Apple's made critics look like complete dumbasses. 

Then again, all Dan Lyons needs for that is Dan Lyons. 

"This is what happens when a company is too cheap to invest in research and development. Did you know that Apple spends far less on R&D than any of its rivals - a paltry 2% of revenues, versus 14% for Google and Microsoft?"

- this is what happens when the mental hospitals are full. Poor guy.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple announces iPhone 5 preorders top 2 million in first 24 hours